THE BROWNS BOARD

Where are our weaknesses now?

BobPOUND!

Another mostly complete game.

Defense was stellar in the 1st half as was the Offense. I can't blame Williams for throttling back in the 2nd half, well I can, but he was right this time..  Defense went into prevent, so everything that happened in the 2nd half can be blamed on that.. Offense the same.. Went to dinks and up the middle runs to keep the clock running.

I am happy with our Linebackers finally. They are stopping when they have to(again 2nd half not withstanding)..

So we are back to Special teams... Let at least 3 long returns on punts. 1 should have been all the way were it not for Joseph..  Punter was great as was Joseph.. 5/5 xps...

Can't ask anymore from Baker. Another rookie of the week performance I am sure.. 4 TDs no picks no sacks(that counted)..

Defense didn't get to the QB nearly enough in my opinion.. Not sure if Bengals O line is that good, or we are just not that good anymore???

Receivers with the exception of Higgins and Landry(surprising), they caught nearly everything thrown their way. And the number of receivers with catches was impressive...

Again, we started back into the bullshit of stupid penalties at horrible times.. twice in the 2nd half we had stopped them and then a dumb penalty kept them alive... 1st half they were perfect I believe.

Otherwise great game and a great win.. Broke the last of the "the last time the browns did this" bullcrap.. Won on the road and strung together 2 wins...

Great game great win..

BobPound!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have said Offensive line, but looks like the coaching change took care of that issue. Instead of running overly complex gimmick plays, they are letting Baker make decisions and is picking apart opposing defensive secondaries.  So a game changing LB? More depth at O and D line.. Wide receivers for sure..

Special teams. I'm TIRED of giving up punt return yardage at crucial points in the game! Also, I'm not thrilled with our linebackers, and we're not getting $16 million a year from Jamie Collins, that's for dang sure. I think we need OT, LB, DB (never have enough), and possibly kicker. 

You know what we DON'T need? 

QUARTERBACK BABY! FINALLY! 

1 hour ago, BobPOUND! said:

I am happy with our Linebackers finally. They are stopping when they have to(again 2nd half not withstanding)..

I still think we could use some speedier LBs (all teams do of course). Our LBs are decent against the run but suspect in coverage.

Just now, nickers said:

we need a real edge rusher at LB..

Schobert is going to be a mainstay at MLB if he stays healthy, but the OLB positions are shaky. 

Collins has been a ghost for so much of this season, especially considering how much he makes, and Kirksey was a below average. (I've always liked Kirksey) The front seven in general will probably be a big priority for Dorsey. 

well in our 43 fronts we're not asking much edge rushing from our lb'ers.....in our 34 looks we have genard, im happy with that.

Frankly the lack of depth on our front 7 worries me. When they're fresh i honestly beleive our front 7 is possibky top 5 in the nfl. Problem is the nfl season is 16 games. The dropoff when the starters come out is quite noticeable which is why they havent come out much the entire season. We need to add 1 or 2 guys to that front 7.

⬆️⬆️ Yea some additional interior line talent would be nice and maybe another linebacker for depth. 

Its really hard to pinpoint exactly what this team needs due to the fact everyone is young and developing right now.

Which is why I feel that Dorsey, aka master scavenger of talent will draft the BPA (best player available) across the board and not spend too big in FA unless free agents want to come here to play.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Schobert is going to be a mainstay at MLB if he stays healthy, but the OLB positions are shaky. 

Collins has been a ghost for so much of this season, especially considering how much he makes, and Kirksey was a below average. (I've always liked Kirksey) The front seven in general will probably be a big priority for Dorsey. 

I believe Clay Mathews Jr is an unrestricted FA.. Lets get his a$$ here  where he belongs

35 minutes ago, nickers said:

I believe Clay Mathews Jr is an unrestricted FA.. Lets get his a$$ here  where he belongs

I would normally agree but Clay III IS 32 years old. Funny thing is the "Matthews Men" tend to play super football beyond the age of 35!

Mike

I think that letting up early is not just s weakness, but it is cancer.  Forget the score, forget letting Cinci back into a game that should have been a humiliating, emasculating defense, the worst thing it did was to absolutely kill the rabid, vicious, in-your-face-motherfahker attitude and momentum that the players and fans were enjoying.

The entire place was rocking and roaring, and for no other reason than a lack of testicular fortitude, Browns fans went from partying like it was 1999, to worrying if the Bengals were going to get within one score. Sorry man, but this schidt has to stopl It can't be allowed to happen again. You just don't give up the Mo. run, run, dink? WHen you have Baker? For the love of God Williams needs to nip this Kichen poosy in the buf,,, NOW.

As far as weaknesses go, the Browns are now to the point where it isn't weaknesses the FO will be concerned about, instead it will be replacing decent, solid players with more playmakers. There just are not a lot of glaring weaknesses on Williams team. In my view I think we need the following.....

A big monster interior D lineman

A pancake Offensife tackle who can draw double teams.

A 6' 5" up-in-the-sky WR

Another aggressive DB

Jesus, Joseph and Mary it was nice to watch the Browns rule the midway for a second time in a row. 

Incidentally, Garrett has won his way into my good graces. I always liked him, but that appeal to Jerry Jones just rubbed me the wrong way.  At to the guy who said, we don't need a QB,  Good Lord, do we even realize what we have back there? WOW, is all I can say.

We need 2 OT's -- Hubbard is simply a bust at that price, and the LT's haven't really worked out, unless the goal was an extended audition for next season's swing tackle roster spot. 

If our first 4 picks are 2 DL [chad thomas is fodder at this point] and 2 OT's I would consider the draft a success..

2 hours ago, nickers said:

If Collins is gone next year, I might not be adverse to this. We kind of have already have a player like him in Avery tho. But shoot, I wouldn't be terribly adverse to the left edge manned by those two subbing in and out for each other. In the end tho not sure Matthews is a fit in GW's defense. 

9 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

Another mostly complete game.

Defense was stellar in the 1st half as was the Offense. I can't blame Williams for throttling back in the 2nd half, well I can, but he was right this time..  Defense went into prevent, so everything that happened in the 2nd half can be blamed on that.. Offense the same.. Went to dinks and up the middle runs to keep the clock running.

So we are back to Special teams... Let at least 3 long returns on punts. 1 should have been all the way were it not for Joseph..  Punter was great as was Joseph.. 5/5 xps...

Can't ask anymore from Baker. Another rookie of the week performance I am sure.. 4 TDs no picks no sacks(that counted)..

Defense didn't get to the QB nearly enough in my opinion.. Not sure if Bengals O line is that good, or we are just not that good anymore???

Receivers with the exception of Higgins and Landry(surprising), they caught nearly everything thrown their way. And the number of receivers with catches was impressive...

Again, we started back into the bullshit of stupid penalties at horrible times.. twice in the 2nd half we had stopped them and then a dumb penalty kept them alive... 1st half they were perfect I believe.

Otherwise great game and a great win.. Broke the last of the "the last time the browns did this" bullcrap.. Won on the road and strung together 2 wins...

Great game great win..

BobPound!

Interior DL, starting LBs and depth minus Avery, WR, OTs. 

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Special teams. I'm TIRED of giving up punt return yardage at crucial points in the game! Also, I'm not thrilled with our linebackers, and we're not getting $16 million a year from Jamie Collins, that's for dang sure. I think we need OT, LB, DB (never have enough), and possibly kicker. 

You know what we DON'T need? 

QUARTERBACK BABY! FINALLY! 

I'd be shocked if Collins is on the roster next season.

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Schobert got to go. He gets blocked and gives up big runs. He isn't good in coverage. He isn't a vocal leader on the field which the D needs from its MLB. He's what Worrilow was for ATL before they drafted Deion Jones. Gets a lot of tackles but can't cover. 

I'd love to see a solid DT alongside Ojunobi. Pressure these QBs in interior and edges rushing all four DL instead of relying on blitzing and get killed running zone. 

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I think that letting up early is not just s weakness, but it is cancer.  Forget the score, forget letting Cinci back into a game that should have been a humiliating, emasculating defense, the worst thing it did was to absolutely kill the rabid, vicious, in-your-face-motherfahker attitude and momentum that the players and fans were enjoying.

The entire place was rocking and roaring, and for no other reason than a lack of testicular fortitude, Browns fans went from partying like it was 1999, to worrying if the Bengals were going to get within one score. Sorry man, but this schidt has to stopl It can't be allowed to happen again. You just don't give up the Mo. run, run, dink? WHen you have Baker? For the love of God Williams needs to nip this Kichen poosy in the buf,,, NOW.

As far as weaknesses go, the Browns are now to the point where it isn't weaknesses the FO will be concerned about, instead it will be replacing decent, solid players with more playmakers. There just are not a lot of glaring weaknesses on Williams team. In my view I think we need the following.....

A big monster interior D lineman

A pancake Offensife tackle who can draw double teams.

A 6' 5" up-in-the-sky WR

Another aggressive DB

Jesus, Joseph and Mary it was nice to watch the Browns rule the midway for a second time in a row. 

Incidentally, Garrett has won his way into my good graces. I always liked him, but that appeal to Jerry Jones just rubbed me the wrong way.  At to the guy who said, we don't need a QB,  Good Lord, do we even realize what we have back there? WOW, is all I can say.

Yeah luckily AJ wasn't healthy. Can't afford to play conservative in the 2nd half when you got a big lead. That's what seperates the pretenders from the contenders (PITT, KC, NO, LAR). They would keep scoring. It would have been nice to see like 42-14 and had Tyrod in and continue to play aggressive. Landry probably would have gotten more catches.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

We need 2 OT's -- Hubbard is simply a bust at that price, and the LT's haven't really worked out, unless the goal was an extended audition for next season's swing tackle roster spot. 

If our first 4 picks are 2 DL [chad thomas is fodder at this point] and 2 OT's I would consider the draft a success..

I could see that. Robinson and Harrison are definitely bandaids as no one saw Thomas' retirement coming. I wouldn't mind a WR early. Need a WR for teams to account for to free up the box more for Chubb.

15 minutes ago, Realplayer said:

Yeah luckily AJ wasn't healthy. Can't afford to play conservative in the 2nd half when you got a big lead. That's what seperates the pretenders from the contenders (PITT, KC, NO, LAR). They would keep scoring. It would have been nice to see like 42-14 and had Tyrod in and continue to play aggressive. Landry probably would have gotten more catches.

CORRECTAMUNDO. What the Browns did in the second half was, IMHO despicable and cowardly. Why would you curtail your offense? What kind of a jackoff does that? What manner of coach sees his offense shredding a hapless opponent and THEN changes what they are doing to become predictable, and boring? This is so fauhked up, I can't believe someone wasn't fired over it.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

CORRECTAMUNDO. What the Browns did in the second half was, IMHO despicable and cowardly. Why would you curtail your offense? What kind of a jackoff does that? What manner of coach sees his offense shredding a hapless opponent and THEN changes what they are doing to become predictable, and boring? This is so fauhked up, I can't believe someone wasn't fired over it.

In NFL terms, isn’t a 15 point win considered  decisive win? Most games are decided by less than 7. We win by 15 and it’s Waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaa waaaa. It wasn’t enough.  

My opinion of ghoofie has changed. 

Candyass

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I hear ya, Ghoolie, I really do, and I wasn't pleased at first either with our second half offense, BUT when I re-watched the game, I found I wasn't as upset with our playcalling as I was upset with our DEFENSE. 

Why? Simple....they didn't get us the ball back! Sure, we had that one relatively conservative 3 and out where we went run, run, pass, punt. However, you're playing against the worst rush defense in the league, right? So it's not an AWFUL idea to try and run it. Our defense did NOT do their jobs in the second half, and a lot had to do with PENALTIES. Stupid, game-changing penalties. Late hits, unnecessary roughness, offsides....ALL on crucial downs! Even on the game-clinching 4th down incompletion, Myles Garrett was probably offsides. It was 4th and 4, and that would have given Bengals 1st and goal. Now, obviously it wasn't called, but still...it's an example of how our defense wasn't disciplined in the 2nd half. 

I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, but I wanted to point out that our defense really didn't give us too many possessions in the 2nd half. I mean, without that high snap which lead to a TD, that game has a different feel. Freddie Kitchens is new, and let's face it, playing with a LEAD is new. We're figuring things out, and we still won by 15! On the road, in a division game. 

Celebrate with me, brotha man! 

13 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

I would have said Offensive line, but looks like the coaching change took care of that issue. Instead of running overly complex gimmick plays, they are letting Baker make decisions and is picking apart opposing defensive secondaries.  So a game changing LB? More depth at O and D line.. Wide receivers for sure..

Gameplanning to your players' strengths instead of trying to impose your offensive and defensive philosophy without regard to what your players are capable of.

What a novel concept.

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I know what you mean. Zero sacks given up over two games. And both big wins. I know you don’t know decent line play when you see it.  Guess what. You’re seeing it.  No sacks, zero, nada, none. It’s called playing as a team. 

Archived