THE BROWNS BOARD

John Dorsey Appreciation Thread

stillmotion

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He has a similar role that Garrett has on the D, he takes some of the D away that must cover his option just like Garrett usually occupies a couple of D players most of the time.

It's very interesting to see our offensive philosophy play out. Pound the rock, spread it around to literally everyone (except Devalve...wtf?), pound it some more, and take some calculated semi-deep shots (rarely do we go full-bomb), and we try above all else to stay in front of the sticks. One of the best feats our offense has accomplished in the past 3 games is staying out of the dreaded 3rd and longs. It's quite spectacular, really. Baker had another day of supreme accuracy, some of his passes were bang on. How about that 3rd and 11, flushed by the pressure, rollout-laser to Callaway? Yessir! 

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I don’t have to get over anything I just have a different opinion on him. And for me what he does is easily replaceable. I’ve said that since we traded for him and before we gave him a shedload of cash. 

As far as easily replaceable- wrong. You're entitled to your very minority opinion about Jarvis....   

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

And he's the best possession receiver in the NFL. Get over it. Moved the chains a couple times today in critical situations. 

Landry also deserves a LION'S SHARE of the credit for this Brown's Teams' new, winning attitude.

Mike

29 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As far as easily replaceable- wrong. You're entitled to your very minority opinion about Jarvis....   

I said at the time we already have what he can do in Duke Johnson (who is also more dangerous after catch) and since Hue left, we are seeing what Duke can do on WR routes. I have seen nothing to change my mind on my Landry stance. 

I don’t buy the winning attitude thing either personally. 

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Hold up Dorsey is the head coach now? Come on Ghoolie thought you were dropping the schtik.

Honestly, I was in a rush. I meant to address WILLIAMS, not Dorsey. Dorsey is aces with me. Williams ia actually aces as well. My irritation today was the Browns taking their foot off the gas, way, way too early. I had a brain fart, and in my Alzheimers state of mind, saw Williams instead of Dorsey. Sorry for the f up. I didn't mean to torque the thread.

This is the best GM the Browns have had decades. I would venture to say that nobody has a higher percentage of picks who are contributin to the level his are. He absolutely nailed the 2018 draft. Best draft I have seen as a Browns fan.

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

ghools it's 2018..sorry man but it's just Time to bury that lifetime brain DVD box set into lake erie, just like they did to the muni that we all had great times in..A) This team could be better than Bill's/Sam's or Marty's..B) with a dipstick owner that just saw his favor'd coach get banged by Dorsey's kids.More reason to Keep Out Mr.Haslam .C) We just need a leader of men to coach this team..That maybe closer to being in place also?.......... It's about time for the New Browns to get this right 🙏

Fair enough bro. I was just upset to see the team take their foot off the gas way way way too early. This pizzes me off like you have no idea. Your watch Baker pass at will and then what? Poof, some jackoff decides. " Hey, we have scored enough, let's play conservative now, let's kill our momentum, let's destroy the confidence we are building and lets let Cinci back into the game.... let's make the game all about them catching up. WHAT THE FAAAHK? WHAT THE FAAAHK?

How the hell does this happen? We are so much better than the Bengals, we should have tried to score 60.

What to these caulksucker think? " Oh, we are scoring too much, let's not do that any more?  Or,  Well,.I think it's time to not score any more and just get some nice pinting in?

Sorry for the Marty reference, but dude, that Elways Drive game still sticks in my brain. There is no shame in losing, but there IS shame in not swinging for the bleachers each and every time we get a chance. I dont want to see this bullschidt any more.  not on this team.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Fair enough bro. I was just upset to see the team take their foot off the gas way way way too early. This pizzes me off like you have no idea. Your watch Baker pass at will and then what? Poof, some jackoff decides. " Hey, we have scored enough, let's play conservative now, let's kill our momentum, let's destroy the confidence we are building and lets let Cinci back into the game.... let's make the game all about them catching up. WHAT THE FAAAHK? WHAT THE FAAAHK?

How the hell does this happen? We are so much better than the Bengals, we should have tried to score 60.

What to these caulksucker think? " Oh, we are scoring too much, let's not do that any more?  Or,  Well,.I think it's time to not score any more and just get some nice pinting in?

Sorry for the Marty reference, but dude, that Elways Drive game still sticks in my brain. There is no shame in losing, but there IS shame in not swinging for the bleachers each and every time we get a chance. I dont want to see this bullschidt any more.  not on this team.

I totally agree. I have always hated playing the prevent. Play the way you GOT the lead & put the damn game away. Today, I wouldn't have taken my foot off the gas until we passed 50 points.

I always thought Marty was a brilliant game day coach UNTIL he got a lead & I don't want to revisit those days.

I wonder what Dorsey was thinking when one of our HC candidates DID take his foot off the gas early today? I guess we'll see, but I DO trust Dorsey.

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I totally agree. I have always hated playing the prevent. Play the way you GOT the lead & put the damn game away. Today, I wouldn't have taken my foot off the gas until we passed 50 points.

I always thought Marty was a brilliant game day coach UNTIL he got a lead & I don't want to revisit those days.

I wonder what Dorsey was thinking when one of our HC candidates DID take his foot off the gas early today? I guess we'll see, but I DO trust Dorsey.

Mike

Mike, we will find out about Williams this week. If he doesn't spit nails about letting up, then I will be disappointed. We could have scored 70 points today, we should have scored at least 49. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

I already said, you have your head up your azz regarding Landry. He's right on pace to rack up the numbers he was brought here for. 1,000 yards and 100 receptions. His contract makes him pretty untradeable too...   

Or you have the idea players are going out of their way to say "I really want to go to Cleveland...  LOL We still had to overpay for talent- and Landry has plenty of it. Still pining for the days of hands of stone Braylon Edwards, apparently.  

Landry is not AJ Green or Julio Jones. He was never acquired for that. He is a keeper, and when we get a big WR who will suck up all the double coverage, Landy is going to become even more effective. He serves a role, and I think he is a keeper.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Landry is not AJ Green or Julio Jones. He was never acquired for that. He is a keeper, and when we get a big WR who will suck up all the double coverage, Landy is going to become even more effective. He serves a role, and I think he is a keeper.

Ur gettin' smarter Tom. Must have had a Snickers!🤩

Randall said Hue "needed" a gameball. Randall is a hero in my book. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/25/damarious-randall-hue-jackson-needed-game-ball/

It's also ridiculous Hue said, "thank you for the ball", did he realized he was being mocked or thought it was a compliment?

smh at all of the Hue defenders in the comments of that article though, calling us punks and Hue classy, hahaha

Breakdown of his presser

BEREA -- One of the biggest takeaways from John Dorsey's session with the media last Wednesday is how important he views these final six games for the Cleveland Browns, despite the team sitting at 3-6-1.

In the 25 minutes he met with the media, Dorsey mentioned no less than eight times how important the final six games were going to be.

In his opening statement, before he took questions, he brought it up.

"I can’t stress to you all enough that we have a lot of football left," Dorsey said. "We have six games to be played here in the 2018 season. I think it is important for this organization to focus on those six games. We have to continually win. The coaches have to continually teach. The players have to continue to develop. Let’s finish strong how this season unfolds here in 2018."

It's refreshing to still have the Browns playing meaningful games late in November and into December, instead of just playing out the schedule as they have for the most part of the past 19 years, with the exception of the 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2014 seasons when they were still battling for a spot in the playoffs. In 2018, the Browns are still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt but likely aren't ready to make a push this season. 

Granted, Browns fans would much rather have the team playing for a berth in the playoffs, but the fact the coaches are coaching for their futures and the players are doing the same, is good for the organization.

“I can’t stress enough to you all, the game of football is about winning," Dorsey said. "We have six games left. Let’s end the season on a strong note.”

When asked if Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens had a chance to stay on as the head coach and offensive coordinator going forward, Dorsey came back talking about how important the rest of the season is.

“That is a hypothetical," he said. "I think both of them have done a heck of a job – they really have – in their respective roles. I will just get this out of the way right now, Gregg will get interviewed for the head coaching position. I think he deserves that."

"I think Freddie has done a heck of a job," Dorsey continued. "Let’s see what happens as we continue to play six more games of football with regards to Freddie, but I think Freddie has done a heck of a job.”

Dorsey was asked what he expects from the rest of the season.

“Emphasize the winning, continue to coach your respective players, have players begin to develop and end the season strong," he said. "I think that is important. Let’s be competitive in each and every game the next seven weeks.”

We've said it for some time, even before the firing of Hue Jackson and Todd Haley, that the second half of the season is so important to lay the groundwork for the 2019 season and beyond. It is important to have the team building and playing their best football, so by the end of the season, there is a strong feeling the Browns are ready to take the next step and compete for the AFC North title in 2019.

“If we continue to win and build and finish strong, that is all you can ask for," Dorsey said. "That is all that I ask for. Play every game tough, and let’s see if we can put some back-to-back wins here. Let’s see if we can get a positive outcome at the end of the season here.”

Dorsey even turned a question as to why Haley was not retained into the same theme.

“Right now, what I am trying to focus in on is moving forward as an organization," he said. "We have six games left in this season, and I think that is where the focus should be and then we will move on to the next project as the season begins to conclude. It is important to end on a strong note here.”

Dorsey admitted the Browns were not heading in the right direction before Jackson was fired.

“I do not know that there were problems that needed to be solved, but the direction that it was headed, it was not headed in the right direction," he said. "That is something that you learn from the past. I am trying to concentrate on living in the present, where we have been in the last two weeks and what we have in front of us here in the next six weeks."

"That kind of gets me going here a little bit," Dorsey said. "Right now, I like what I have seen in the last two weeks. I am excited for the final six games to finish this thing out strong."

Fred's Focus

There is so much riding on the rest of the season. Not so much the final record, but the development of starting quarterback Baker Mayfield and the rest of the young players on the roster, being able to learn and experience winning.

The rest of the season is a valuable learning and development period for the team as it tries to turn the corner from habitual losing to a team in the hunt in 2019.

Dorsey has made it abundantly clear all options are on the table when it comes to hiring the next head coach of the Browns. Williams, Kitchens and the coaching staff have a chance to parlay the final six games into a full-time head coaching job and full-time offensive coordinator position. If the team plays well and wins as many as three or four games, I can see that happening.

However, if the team struggles and plays inconsistently, I can see Dorsey bringing in one of the coaches that he's likely had on his short list for quite some time. He knows the delicate balance of getting a guy who will work with him and his staff and to keep the team going in a positive direction, without taking a step back and starting over.

Dorsey knows how big the decision of hiring the coach truly is for the Browns and he knows he has to get it right.

5COMMENTS

“I understand (the magnitude of the hiring)," he said. "The one thing I have always thought about is one of the most important decisions – I know this; I think about this driving home all of the time – is the hiring of the right head coach for this organization moving forward."

"I think that is tantamount, and I think about that every day driving home," he said. "Just make sure you do not mess it up. That is what I keep telling myself. Just do not mess this thing up.”

Breakdown of his presser

BEREA -- One of the biggest takeaways from John Dorsey's session with the media last Wednesday is how important he views these final six games for the Cleveland Browns, despite the team sitting at 3-6-1.

In the 25 minutes he met with the media, Dorsey mentioned no less than eight times how important the final six games were going to be.

In his opening statement, before he took questions, he brought it up.

"I can’t stress to you all enough that we have a lot of football left," Dorsey said. "We have six games to be played here in the 2018 season. I think it is important for this organization to focus on those six games. We have to continually win. The coaches have to continually teach. The players have to continue to develop. Let’s finish strong how this season unfolds here in 2018."

It's refreshing to still have the Browns playing meaningful games late in November and into December, instead of just playing out the schedule as they have for the most part of the past 19 years, with the exception of the 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2014 seasons when they were still battling for a spot in the playoffs. In 2018, the Browns are still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt but likely aren't ready to make a push this season. 

Granted, Browns fans would much rather have the team playing for a berth in the playoffs, but the fact the coaches are coaching for their futures and the players are doing the same, is good for the organization.

“I can’t stress enough to you all, the game of football is about winning," Dorsey said. "We have six games left. Let’s end the season on a strong note.”

When asked if

This guy replaced Deshone Kizer with Baker Mayfield, and then traded Kizer for Damarious Randall and then had Hue fired.

Three games later Baker is setting rookie records, and Randall is cementing a blowout division win with an interception and handing it to Hue on the sideline.

Build the man a statue.

Z

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

This guy replaced Deshone Kizer with Baker Mayfield, and then traded Kizer for Damarious Randall and then had Hue fired.

Three games later Baker is setting rookie records, and Randall is cementing a blowout division win with an interception and handing it to Hue on the sideline.

Build the man a statue.

Z

Pretty much all the safety/corner moves so far have been crazy good. He/FO sure know their defensive backs. 

On 11/25/2018 at 1:58 PM, stillmotion said:

He did what Jimmy asked and gave Hue a chance, nailed many of the draft picks, and is putting us in a situation to win. You gotta give the guy some props.

KC is unstoppable and he was a big contributor towards that.

Unstoppable-ish maybe...

Dorsey has an eye for talent... no doubt there, but there is a lot more to being a great GM than that.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:38 PM, hoorta said:

I already said, you have your head up your azz regarding Landry. He's right on pace to rack up the numbers he was brought here for. 1,000 yards and 100 receptions. His contract makes him pretty untradeable too...   

Or you have the idea players are going out of their way to say "I really want to go to Cleveland...  LOL We still had to overpay for talent- and Landry has plenty of it.

Yeah... LB's being a tad harsh, but as a couple of my FFL team's will attest, Landry has not been an impact player on the field. And in deference to Ag, he's not commending a lot of double teaming.

On a side note... we're old enough to remember when a 1000-yd season was a meaningful milestone. Now it's just 66.7 ypg...

18 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Because of what JD has already done for our team, I will purchase a new Browns shirt and wear it with “Dangerous” pride. 

Johnny Dangerously?  

At least football is becoming fun again in NE Ohio and I give that credit to.... John Dorsey 

THANKYOU!

Doug............Amen!  But think about what we are debating here? For 31 of 32 weeks we clobbered each other over the head about what we each felt we needed to do to win. NOW? Lmao, we are biching why we didn't score 70 points and REALLY f-up Cinci. Dude, what a difference, eh?

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Build the man a statue.

Z

Add to that, I'm not pizzed off. Talk about an Orange and Brown Christmas?

11 hours ago, stillmotion said:

How do you not LOVE this kid? TEAM   TEAM  TEAM.................... Cashed the check he wrote. Lots of play makers, Lots of energy.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:49 PM, bjh2130 said:

Landry is not a miss yet. He wasn't brought in here to be a number 1 receiver but was thrust into that role when Gordon screwed up one too many times. Landry does a lot of unsung stuff. Good leader in the locker room great blocker and believe me that rubs off on our other wideouts. He's an agitator and brings a lot of toughness. Early to call Corbett a miss. We just have two good guards and a solid center. He's a depth guy. At the top of the 2nd you'd like more sure but i dont know that he wont develop into more.

I know McCoughlan was big on Baker. I wonder how much influence he had on the other picks. 

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Doug............Amen!  But think about what we are debating here? For 31 of 32 weeks we clobbered each other over the head about what we each felt we needed to do to win. NOW? Lmao, we are biching why we didn't score 70 points and REALLY f-up Cinci. Dude, what a difference, eh?

I agree. I disagree with Dieken tho. This time with a young team you don’t need to score 70. But the D did come up with the needed stops and turnovers. You can’t stop an offense from scoring with the rules so you play for turnovers. A+ for a young D

12 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I agree. I disagree with Dieken tho. This time with a young team you don’t need to score 70. But the D did come up with the needed stops and turnovers. You can’t stop an offense from scoring with the rules so you play for turnovers. A+ for a young D

If avery doesn't go low on Driskell they have another interception/stop on 4th down also. I know he did and you can't take that away but we have been extremely more disciplined since he who shall not be blamed left. No reason to think that won't get even better.

Btw, phone auto corrected named to blamed and it fits perfectly with his personality so I left it. Happy coincidence. I actually think Zombo should make that auto correct stick for anytime someone says hue.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:28 AM, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I'm with both you and Ghoolie on this one...  The old...  If you're doing something, and the other team can't stop it, keep doing it until they do stop it.  The way Baker was slinging it, 42 or 49 were possible against the Bungles....   You get up by five scores at the end of the 3rd quarter, then it's time to burn clock.  

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm with both you and Ghoolie on this one...  The old...  If you're doing something, and the other team can't stop it, keep doing it until they do stop it.  The way Baker was slinging it, 42 or 49 were possible against the Bungles....   You get up by five scores at the end of the 3rd quarter, then it's time to burn clock.  

So when I watched again I noticed something that our "prevent" accomplished, and that was burning clock. On the Bengals' second to last possession, we forced them to burn off like 5 minutes of clock when they desperately needed to score, and there was only like 7 minutes remaining. And on this possession, we still turned them over on downs, so maybe our strategy worked, ya know? (of course they turned it over in our red zone, but whatever, lol) 

Also, we didn't necessarily play "prevent" the entire second half. Think back to the Bengals' last possession, and we sent all KINDS of pressure. In fact, the last play of the game was Driskell running for his life. So while I'm sure we weren't perfect in our second half strategy, it wasn't like we completely went prevent the entire time. 

And the game wouldn't have been remotely close if Jamie Collins catches the easiest pick-6 in history. God that guy... 

earlier on, defenses went to double team Landry thinking he was their bigtime threat - then Calloway started catching a few balls and taking off. So did Njoku. Higgins caught a few...

I still think it's Landry that opens stuff up for the other receivers.

Baker Mayfield saw a bit of it in Oct...

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20181010/browns-baker-mayfield-on-foes-ganging-up-on-jarvis-landry-maybe-little

'The perception Landry should be doing more led to a question of Baker Mayfield Wednesday. Are opponents scheming to take him away?

“You see it a little bit,” Mayfield said. “I would hope they would try to do that to one of the best receivers in the NFL.

“At the same time, that is what opens up some stuff. Like when Hollywood (Higgins) scored, the safety came down on Jarvis’ end. When you see that, you take advantage of the matchup.”

Mayfield spread the ball among 10 receivers while throwing for 342 yards in Sunday’s 12-9 win over Baltimore, which had the league’s No. 4 pass defense coming in. Next up is the Chargers, whose pass defense is ranked No. 19.

“We will see what they will try to do to a rookie quarterback,” Mayfield said. “They are playing well and getting to the quarterback, but they are also not allowing a lot of rushing yards." '

Archived