THE BROWNS BOARD

7 F'N OVERTIMES !!!!

TexasAg1969

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This just represents the stupidity of the overtime rules in college football

Yep, but man what an exciting game. One incredible play after another both teams on offense and defense. A&M saved their last two incredible plays for a defensive pass knockdown on a two point conversion and a pass reception for the extra two to win it. Unbelievable game and we got a whole extra game after regulation that was one heck of a treat no matter who you were supporting.

I like the rules, but it should be a separate score and stat sheet. Just play out the OT periods then go back and add 1 point to the winning team's regulation score. I'm sick of people saying we have a bad defense because we gave up 72, when it was 31 at the end of the game. 

41 minutes ago, wargograw said:

I like the rules, but it should be a separate score and stat sheet. Just play out the OT periods then go back and add 1 point to the winning team's regulation score. I'm sick of people saying we have a bad defense because we gave up 72, when it was 31 at the end of the game. 

Only score I cared about was the "1" next to the W.👍

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

No overall it is just stupid ridiculous and a bastardized version of the game

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No overall it is just stupid ridiculous and a bastardized version of the game

True.  Except for championship games there should be NO OT, go for two in regulation if you want a W.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

True.  Except for championship games there should be NO OT, go for two in regulation if you want a W.

Ironically enough when A&M scored their TD in regulation as the game clock expired, there was an offside against LSU on the one point conversion that tied the game. I was yelling at the TV to take the point off and go for 2 for the win from the 1 1/2 yd. line and not give LSU's offense any shot at us in OT. I called my son who was watching with friends and he had been yelling the exact same thing to them just seconds before I called. My football coaching son told them the apple did not fall far from the tree. If you want a win you better be able to take it from the 1 1/2 yd line.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ironically enough when A&M scored their TD in regulation as the game clock expired, there was an offside against LSU on the one point conversion that tied the game. I was yelling at the TV to take the point off and go for 2 for the win from the 1 1/2 yd. line and not give LSU's offense any shot at us in OT. I called my son who was watching with friends and he had been yelling the exact same thing to them just seconds before I called. My football coaching son told them the apple did not fall far from the tree. If you want a win you better be able to take it from the 1 1/2 yd line.

Can you say  1984 Orange Bowl.  Miami vs. Nebraska.  Tom Osborne chooses to go for 2 to try to win and eschews the tie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Can you say  1984 Orange Bowl.  Miami vs. Nebraska.  Tom Osborne chooses to go for 2 to try to win and eschews the tie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNs0mdKAO8

Yep - but that was not from the 1 1/2 yd line. And ties were ties back then, right? Overtime for college started in 1996.

In 2004 Baylor went for 2 in the 1st OT after A&M had scored the 1st TD and extra point. They made it winning the game 35-34 for the first win since 1985 over A&M. They tore down the goal posts, paraded them around the field and then out of the old stadium headed towards the campus. 

We had lifted the ban my son had given my wife for having jinxed us in that '85 game because she only saw losses for multiple games she attended. When we got back home from Waco that night in 2004, he put the ban back in place.  LOL!😂

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep - but that was not from the 1 1/2 yd line. And ties were ties back then, right? Overtime for college started in 1996.

In 2004 Baylor went for 2 in the 1st OT after A&M had scored the 1st TD and extra point. They made it winning the game 35-34 for the first win since 1985 over A&M. They tore down the goal posts, paraded them around the field and then out of the old stadium headed towards the campus. 

We had lifted the ban my son had given my wife for having jinxed us in that '85 game because she only saw losses for multiple games she attended. When we got back home from Waco that night in 2004, he put the ban back in place.  LOL!😂

No one would remember an A&M Baylor game from then....we all remember Miami/Nebraska.

46 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No one would remember an A&M Baylor game from then....we all remember Miami/Nebraska.

Oh I know that. But I just like my wife to remember why she's banned. Broke a near 20 year run she did.🤣

Archived