THE BROWNS BOARD

Alleged Sodom site thought to have been hit by cosmic blast:

OldBrownsFan

According to the Bible, the ancient cities, thought to have been located on the Dead Sea, were wiped away by God for the sinful behaviour of their people. The preliminary findings of US scientists suggest that this region witnessed a major calamity almost 4 thousand years ago, which left it uninhabited for centuries.

https://sputniknews.com/science/201811231070070217-sodom-gomora-meteor-blast/

It is all mapped out. Something I believe and the bible teaches ( election - but you have to dig a little bit). If this is true that a cosmic blast took out Sodom and Gommorah than this was all mapped out beforehand. God knew the time and place this would happen beforehand and got Lot and his family out.

*On a side note archaeology and science seemingly  again proving out stories in "the old book".

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

"Sputnik is a news agency, news website platform and radio broadcast service established by the Russian government-owned news agency Rossiya Segodnya"

706190dab5cffb435373118dbebb5894.gif

If you read the link the article is being reported on by Sputnik it doesn't say they were the researchers:

Archaeologists from Trinity Southwest University, a Christian higher educational institution in Albuquerque, New Mexico, have claimed civilisation in the Dead Sea region was destroyed 3,700 years ago following a meteor explosion in the atmosphere.

During the annual meeting of the American Schools of Oriental Research in Denver, Colorado, scholar Phillip Silvia reported the preliminary findings of their excavations in the area, which some scientists consider to be home to the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. The results suggest that cities and settlements in the Jordan Valley’s Middle Ghor region, where up to 65,000 people lived around that time, were obliterated with a powerful wave of heat, wind and tiny particles, the outlet Science News reports.

Waives also pushed salty water from the Dead Sea, which devastated the soil. The explosion, the researchers argue, “not only [wiped] out 100% of the Middle Bronze Age cities and towns, but also [stripped] agricultural soil from once-fertile fields,” Newsweek reports.

"TRINITY SOUTHWEST UNIVERSITY

The mission of Trinity Southwest University is to provide quality higher education for adult learners. Teaching them, through a variety of biblically-based academic disciplines, to uphold the divine authority of the Bible as God’s only inspired representation of reality to humankind, and equipping them to apply its eternal truths to all phases of life."

all u need to see right there.....

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

According to the Bible, the ancient cities, thought to have been located on the Dead Sea, were wiped away by God for the sinful behaviour of their people. The preliminary findings of US scientists suggest that this region witnessed a major calamity almost 4 thousand years ago, which left it uninhabited for centuries.

It is all mapped out. Something I believe and the bible teaches ( election - but you have to dig a little bit). If this is true that a cosmic blast took out Sodom and Gommorah than this was all mapped out beforehand. God knew the time and place this would happen beforehand and got Lot and his family out.

*On a side note archaeology and science seemingly  again proving out stories in "the old book".

"Cosmic blast" happened 4000 years ago.OT written ~3000 years ago. So how is that "beforehand"?  

45 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

The mission of Trinity Southwest University is to provide quality higher education for adult learners. Teaching them, through a variety of biblically-based academic disciplines, to uphold the divine authority of the Bible as God’s only inspired representation of reality to humankind, and equipping them to apply its eternal truths to all phases of life."

Newsweek...that seething hotbed of biased Christian right journalists...

https://www.newsweek.com/biblical-city-sodom-was-blasted-smithereens-massive-asteroid-explosion-1227339

21 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

"Cosmic blast" happened 4000 years ago.OT written ~3000 years ago. So how is that "beforehand"?  

oh sht they fukked up their bullsht timeline.....ahahahahahhahah. Its impossible to keep track of all these cool stories that never happened so tuff to blame em right?

derp, bet Trinity U losrs their 700 club endowment for that cok up

7 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Newsweek...that seething hotbed mouthpiece for the Christian right...

https://www.newsweek.com/biblical-city-sodom-was-blasted-smithereens-massive-asteroid-explosion-1227339

Yeah mine invisible god friend destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in the 1940's. Sure I predicted it after it happened, but that doesn't seem to matter and since I wrote it down it must be true....

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

oh sht they fukked up their bullsht timeline.....ahahahahahhahah. Its impossible to keep track of all these cool stories that never happened so tuff to blame em right?

derp, bet Trinity U losrs their 700 club endowment for that cok up

Timeline shimeline...the thing that stands out is science showing catastrophic effects and damage that seems eerily like what happened to Sodom and Gommorah  (with the bible using the language of their day in describing the destruction) at an area that some think is where the cities of Sodom and Gommorah were located... when it comes to timeline how accurate is carbon dating? What I read is after a few thousand years it becomes less reliable. Add to that nobody knows exact dates of the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah...

57 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Timeline shimeline...the thing that stands out is science showing catastrophic effects and damage that seems eerily like what happened to Sodom and Gommorah  (with the bible using the language of their day in describing the destruction) at an area that some think is where the cities of Sodom and Gommorah were located... when it comes to timeline how accurate is carbon dating? What I read is after a few thousand years it becomes less reliable. Add to that nobody knows exact dates of the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah...

No one knows if it even existed.

4 hours ago, cccjwh said:

Yeah mine invisible god friend destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in the 1940's. Sure I predicted it after it happened, but that doesn't seem to matter and since I wrote it down it must be true....

No, that was atomic bombs dropped to end the war against Japan.  Get your shit together maggot.

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Didn't they do that program for National Geographic? You know, "Walking With Dinosaurs"?😂

BTW can they look below the 6000 year level or do they just ignore the Grand Canyon and such?

11 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

11 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If you read the link the article is being reported on by Sputnik it doesn't say they were the researchers:

Archaeologists from Trinity Southwest University, a Christian higher educational institution in Albuquerque, New Mexico, have claimed civilisation in the Dead Sea region was destroyed 3,700 years ago following a meteor explosion in the atmosphere.

During the annual meeting of the American Schools of Oriental Research in Denver, Colorado, scholar Phillip Silvia reported the preliminary findings of their excavations in the area, which some scientists consider to be home to the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. The results suggest that cities and settlements in the Jordan Valley’s Middle Ghor region, where up to 65,000 people lived around that time, were obliterated with a powerful wave of heat, wind and tiny particles, the outlet Science News reports.

Waives also pushed salty water from the Dead Sea, which devastated the soil. The explosion, the researchers argue, “not only [wiped] out 100% of the Middle Bronze Age cities and towns, but also [stripped] agricultural soil from once-fertile fields,” Newsweek reports.

source.gif

Archaeologist Believes to Have Discovered Location of Biblical Sodom, But One Thing Remains a Mystery

"Clues to this mystery may also be found in the Bible narrative. The destruction of Sodom is described as God raining down burning sulfur, or, in other translations, fire and brimstone (Genesis 19:24). At the Tall site, a layer of ash was discovered and the remains of one palace are stained red from burning. In addition, pottery shards display signs of exposure to extremely high temperatures. Normally, evidence of fire at such sites is the result of a military action, however a military conquest would usually be followed by an occupation, and it certainly would not account for 700 years of desolation.

Collins offers his own theory remarkably Biblical in nature. According to Collins, an enormous explosion over the city, such as that caused by a massive meteor, would account for all the evidence. He describes it as an “airburst”. As fantastic as that sounds, a similar occurrence was documented in Mesopotamia around 2200 BCE and credited with disrupting that civilization.

The Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project is an example of how scientists are successfully using the Bible as an authoritative source to learn more about the world around us. In the case of Sodom, Steven Collins discovered that what most people understand as a Biblical myth was actually accurate in the most astounding ways."

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/51870/sodom-found-archaeological-evidence-proof-biblical-account-health-and-science/

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Your brain should be studied. 

Help scientists continue to build the case for the negative correlation between religion and analytical thinking.

Analytical thinking...you don't believe in God yet everything you have came from God including your analytical brain. The air you breathe, the body you have, the water you drink, everything has been given to you. I don't see believing that out of absolute nothing came all of creation seems very analytic...seems illogical, not very scientific.

The fool hath said in his heart there is no God Psalm 53:1:

https://www.churchmilitant.com/video/episode/1-the-illogic-of-atheism

9 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Newsweek...that seething hotbed of biased Christian right journalists...

From your article:

"An asteroid that burst in a searing aerial explosion may have destroyed the Bronze Age city of Tall el-Hammam 3,700 years ago, archaeologists reported Saturday.

The city, which lies in the Middle Ghor region of the Jordan Valley, is considered a plausible site for the biblical city of Sodom by some researchers. But this conclusion is hotly debated within the field.

The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God for their sinful behavior, according to the Christian Bible."

"Plausible site" + "Conclusion hotly debated within the field" =/= objective evidence for Sodom and Gomorrah...so, sure, Newsweek is a hotbed of Christian-right journalists...

2 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Archaeologist Believes to Have Discovered Location of Biblical Sodom, But One Thing Remains a Mystery

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/51870/sodom-found-archaeological-evidence-proof-biblical-account-health-and-science/

From your article:

1.JPG.a9575ebb29daa766ed5fc8acb06e0829.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.5496e0e204516aaa40893249e29785f3.JPG

"Latest News - Biblical Perspective"... "Breaking Israel News offers a fresh and Biblical perspective on the latest news from Israel and the Middle East. Our bias is not liberal nor conservative - just Biblical"...

...you'll pardon me if I continue to call into question your source's "objectivity" in reporting of supposed archeological findings...

31 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Analytical thinking...you don't believe in God yet everything you have came from God including your analytical brain...

I'm still waiting for you to provide conclusive proof for your claims of what the Judeo-Christian God (or any god(s), for that matter) supposedly did or did not give me.

It would be akin to me saying Odin or Thor exists in real life because you exist, so how could they not also exist? How about the Egyptian or Greek gods? Perhaps Allah? The teleological argument is a  shi.t argument once you apply your pesky analytically-thinking brain to it. 

48 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

...The air you breathe, the body you have, the water you drink, everything has been given to you...

The air we breathe, the body I am (you don't have a body, you ARE a body), and the water I drink are all composed of atoms and molecules forged deep within the hearts of billions of dying and exploding stars. You can actually calculate out and physically observe this phenomenon using well-established astrophysical principles -  something that no religion has even come close in doing.

I find it infinitely more satisfying and beautiful to think that from the destruction and death of countless billions of stars and planets that such a complex world as our own can be created from their ashes than some invisible, narcissistic sky-dictator creating us on a whim would be. 

“Except for hydrogen, all the atoms that make each of us up—the iron in our blood, the calcium in our bones, the carbon in our brains—were manufactured in red giant stars thousands of light-years away in space and billions of years ago in time. We are, as I like to say, starstuff.” 
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

49 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

... I don't see believing that out of absolute nothing came all of creation seems very analytic...seems illogical, not very scientific...

Nor do I. Although it's the best current theory that we have on the subject, the Big Bang still contains many unanswered questions on how it actually proceeded. A gap in understanding, however, does not equate to a gap that must be filled with a God in order to explain it.

To your point, it is perfectly logical and scientific to state that, based upon the available evidence, we think the universe exploded and began expanding from a point of infinitely small and dense "something" billions of years ago to create the universe we see today, because that is what the evidence presents. 

You, on the other hand, take the added leap of faith and claim that not only was the universe formed by a creator deity - a deistic point of view, you leap out further than that by claiming that this God is the specific Judeo-Christian god, and that the universe is arranged around the Judeo-christian beliefs. You are adding more to the postulation on how the universe came to be than you could possibly know by objective reasoning - on no extraordinary evidence that is required by your extraordinary claims, I might add - simply to fill in a missing gap of knowledge. And you claim that scientific thought is the thing that seems illogical here?

“Creationists eagerly seek a gap in present-day knowledge or understanding. If an apparent gap is found, it is assumed that God, by default, must fill it.” 
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

49 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The fool hath said in his heart there is no God Psalm 53:1:

https://www.churchmilitant.com/video/episode/1-the-illogic-of-atheism

“One must state it plainly. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody...had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion, and one would like to think—though the connection is not a fully demonstrable one—that this is why they seem so uninterested in sending fellow humans to hell.”
― Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Jbluhm - you quote Richad Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens and I could google some Christian authors and debate this point by point and we will go around in circles. So I won't go there. But the reality is you will die faithless and hopeless living a very short life with eternity staring you in the face. From experience I can tell you it is a great thing to no longer fear death and be living the life Jesus promised those who put their trust in Him would have. I posted some videos of atheists who became believers and I pray that you might be one of them someday. We don't have to live without hope, not when there was a Savior who died on a cross and rose from the grave and said he was preparing a place for those who put their trust in Him. That is a lifeline I am taking. 

As for the article I posted I thought it was interesting and I leave it at that. The bible speaks of place called Sodom being destroyed with fire and brimstone (language they would use at the time) but it could have been a "cosmic blast". I posted If this is true that a cosmic blast took out Sodom and Gommorah than this was all mapped out beforehand. God knew the time and place this would happen beforehand and got Lot and his family out. 

I don’t need the “heaven carrot” at the end of the ride to get me to be a good person along the way or to offer me reassurance. With no perceived big jackpot at the end coupled with an endless get out of jail free card for poor behavior,  I only get one run at it so I have to make the most of it. 

Religious people overwhelmingly are only of a particular faith that coincides with geography. 99% of the Christians in the US would be Hindus or Muslims if their mom had popped them out in India instead of the states. We would be on a Cricket forum and reading articles about how Ganesh is real.

Archived