THE BROWNS BOARD

gotta agree with Maher on this one....

Clevfan4life

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bill-maher-says-outrage-over-his-stan-lee-comments-proves-my-point/ar-BBPXBLk?ocid=spartandhp

Not a huge comic book fan but I do appreciate Stan Lee.....and when I first heard Maher was in trouble with something he said I figured he really must have stepped some bounds. Nope....and I agree "wholeheartedly" with his take.

Maher continued, "Yeah, fine. I am agnostic on Stan Lee. I don't read comic books. I didn't even read them when I was a child. What I was saying is, a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb f----ng culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point." 

36 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Whether you love him or not whether you are a Marvel or a DC fan Stanl Lee is certainly the preeminent single icon in the superhero world. He was the guy behind Marvel where with DC there was no one concept driving force.

WSS

I never read comic books when I was a kid. And the only newer superhero movie I’ve seen is Spider- man. The one with Tobey McGuire? 

So Stan Lee might be all that. He was nothing to me 

May he rest in peace

44 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Whether you love him or not whether you are a Marvel or a DC fan Stanl Lee is certainly the preeminent single icon in the superhero world. He was the guy behind Marvel where with DC there was no one concept driving force.

WSS

whether you like Bill Maher or not...".a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb f----ng culture"...……is a true statement. Period. 

34 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

whether you like Bill Maher or not...".a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb f----ng culture"...……is a true statement. Period. 

Well who does that actually? And when you think about it what makes graphic novels or comic books or whatever you call them any more or less valid that American classic literature, Greek drama or Shakespeare? Just entertainment.

WSS

but let's not even take those fringe people into consideration...….have you seen the enormous amts of money these awful movies pull in? They are patently awful. Not because you can't make a decent movie based off a comic book, but because they don't bother.....they know they don't have to make a good movie, people will go see it because Wakanda and sht. 

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

plenty. I mean have you actually watched video's of cosplay conventions?

No I know they exist I haven't paid much attention. I have seen huge crowds of people walking to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and lined up outside of store waiting for the newest Beanie Baby to be released. So what?

WSS

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

but let's not even take those fringe people into consideration...….have you seen the enormous amts of money these awful movies pull in? They are patently awful. Not because you can't make a decent movie based off a comic book, but because they don't bother.....they know they don't have to make a good movie, people will go see it because Wakanda and sht. 

I have to agree with you on this.

The main attraction to these awful movies are the CGI.

If you can look past that, the plot, the acting, and everything else is just pure s hit.

26 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

If you can look past that, the plot, the acting, and everything else is just pure s hit.

Oh I can't stand them for the most part. A bunch of noise and blowing shit up and smashing everybody over the head with a building. As far as the CGI just about anybody can do that these days so unless it's spectacular, who cares? And even if it is after 10 minutes who cares? I just saying that objectively nothing is really better or worse in any field of entertainment though we like to think of ourselves as Superior thinkers.

WSS

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

i was so annoyed after seeing wakanda or whatever its called, this was the movie hailed by these insufferable hollywood shitbags as some landmark movie for black people? look it wasnt horrible, as far as comic book movies go which is a low bar anyway.....but its literally like letting some chicken scraps fall off the table and say "theres ur bonus movie boy and u better be thankful". 

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

i was so annoyed after seeing wakanda or whatever its called, this was the movie hailed by these insufferable hollywood shitbags as some landmark movie for black people? look it wasnt horrible, as far as comic book movies go which is a low bar anyway.....but its literally like letting some chicken scraps fall off the table and say "theres ur bonus movie boy and u better be thankful". 

Wouldn't bother with wakanda just because black panther itself was such piece of overhyped rubbish. Mediocre actually, not horrible but with some of the worst acting I've ever seen a plot shockingly ridiculous even compared to other superheroes plots.

WSS

Archived