THE BROWNS BOARD

Football Oddities Trivia

The Gipper

I decided I did not want to do Browns/Bengals trivia this week....maybe when we play them later.   Here is a set of what I call Football Oddities Trivia.  Sort of a potpourrie of unusual football stuff.   Try your hand.   Remember, no googling.

1. Who are the only 2 Lefthanded QBs in the HOF?

2. The longest NFL playoff  win drought in NFL history is  51 years.   Which team went that long between postseason wins?

3. Who is the youngest person ever inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

4. What player once led the NFL in Passing, Punting, and Interceptions (as a defender)  in the same season? Hint...obviously, think old timer.

5. Which Super Bowl Championship team  went 5 consecutive games during the regular season without scoring a touchdown?

6. Which 2 NFL teams have a policy  of never retiring uniform numbers?

7. What is the only team to ever start they year  0-4 but still make the playoffs?

8. Who holds the  NFL record for longest  fumble return for a TD...104 yards?  Hint: Ohio Stater.

9. Two QBs hold the NFL record for starting the most playoff games in NFL history without winning a game.  They were  0-4.   Name them.  Hint: one pre Super Bowl, one post Super Bowl.

10. What team had 16 different head coaches in a 35 year period.   In other words, a new coach ever 2.2 years.  (hint, not the Browns)

11. Which NFL coach (now retired) was once mentioned in a rap song by Eminem for cussing at his players?

12. What is the name of the only family to have had  4 brothers play in the NFL ?  (not sure if they were all in at the same time).  Hint: Ohio roots

13. Which is the NFL team that has been in the league since the 1970 merger that has won only 1 playoff game in that time?

14. Who is the ONLY QB in NFL history to have started multiple playoff games (2 or more).....to have gone undefeated in those games?  Hint: it is not Nick Foles.

15. Only 2 teams in history  went from being 12-4 one year.....to 2-14 the next year.  Name the teams.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I decided I did not want to do Browns/Bengals trivia this week....maybe when we play them later.   Here is a set of what I call Football Oddities Trivia.  Sort of a potpourrie of unusual football stuff.   Try your hand.   Remember, no googling.

Ken Stabler, Steve Young

2. The longest NFL playoff  win drought in NFL history is  51 years.   Which team went that long between postseason wins?

Cardinals

4. What player once led the NFL in Passing, Punting, and Interceptions (as a defender)  in the same season? Hint...obviously, think old timer.

5. Which Super Bowl Championship team  went 5 consecutive games during the regular season without scoring a touchdown?

Ratbirds

7. What is the only team to ever start they year  0-4 but still make the playoffs?

Chargers

8. Who holds the  NFL record for longest  fumble return for a TD...104 yards?  Hint: Ohio Stater.

9. Two QBs hold the NFL record for starting the most playoff games in NFL history without winning a game.  They were  0-4.   Name them.  Hint: one pre Super Bowl, one post Super Bowl.

Dalton, 

10. What team had 16 different head coaches in a 35 year period.   In other words, a new coach ever 2.2 years.  (hint, not the Browns)

11. Which NFL coach (now retired) was once mentioned in a rap song by Eminem for cussing at his players?

12. What is the name of the only family to have had  4 brothers play in the NFL ?  (not sure if they were all in at the same time).  Hint: Ohio roots

13. Which is the NFL team that has been in the league since the 1970 merger that has won only 1 playoff game in that time?

Lions

14. Who is the ONLY QB in NFL history to have started multiple playoff games (2 or more).....to have gone undefeated in those games?  Hint: it is not Nick Foles.

Doug Williams

15. Only 2 teams in history  went from being 12-4 one year.....to 2-14 the next year.  Name the teams.

4 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Ken Stabler, Steve Young Check

Cardinals  Check

Ratbirds Check

Chargers  Check.but when?

Dalton,  He is one

Lions  Check

Doug Williams  NO

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Chargers  Check.but when?

I think Stan Humphries was the QB, sometime in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Looked it up...Gradishar was an INT not a fumble.    Never saw the play that is the correct answer. 

If I saw it, I don't remember it.   The guy that is the answer was much better known for other aspects of his play. Often vilified for it, in fact.

Second Chance Saloon.    Give these a try if you have not done so already.

6. Which 2 NFL teams have a policy  of never retiring uniform numbers?  Hint...both considered media darling franchises

10. What team had 16 different head coaches in a 35 year period.   In other words, a new coach ever 2.2 years.  (hint, not the Browns)  Hint:  you will find the answer laughable.

11. Which NFL coach (now retired) was once mentioned in a rap song by Eminem for cussing at his players? Hint: we know him well here in C-town

12. What is the name of the only family to have had  4 brothers play in the NFL ?  (not sure if they were all in at the same time).  Hint: Ohio roots  Further hint:  a lot of USC connections

14. Who is the ONLY QB in NFL history to have started multiple playoff games (2 or more).....to have gone undefeated in those games?  Hint: it is not Nick Foles.  Hint: he is more legendary for other reasons

15. Only 2 teams in history  went from being 12-4 one year.....to 2-14 the next year.  Name the teams. Hint: both teams from the same town.

6. OK wing it time, GB and DAL? :lol:......wait scratch DAL, too stupid, try NE?

12. Has to be the Mathews boys.

56 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

6. OK wing it time, GB and DAL? :lol:......wait scratch DAL, too stupid, try NE?

12. Has to be the Mathews boys.

Well....I should punish you for your change of mind, as you should not scratch Dallas....as that is one of the correct answers.

But the Matthews is not.   They had fathers and sons and a couple of brothers and cousins....but not 4 brothers.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Given where you are from, you should know the one about the brothers.   They are from your neck of the woods.

Going way, way back I remember the Triplett (sp?) brothers from the Girard, OH area but I don't know how many. Other than that I'd stumped on 4.

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Going way, way back I remember the Triplett (sp?) brothers from the Girard, OH area but I don't know how many. Other than that I'd stumped on 4.

I have a feeling we are going to kick ourselves on this one. 

On 11/19/2018 at 12:08 PM, The Gipper said:

I decided I did not want to do Browns/Bengals trivia this week....maybe when we play them later.   Here is a set of what I call Football Oddities Trivia.  Sort of a potpourrie of unusual football stuff.   Try your hand.   Remember, no googling

Frank Tarkington and Bryan Leftwich

The Steelers

Gale Sayers

Easy, Slingin Sammy Baugh

Also easy, Ravens

Falcons, Cowboys...............Skins and Steelers do it almost never. Cleveland needs a reason to retire another one.

Bengals

Art Schlister

Frank Tarkigton, 

On 11/19/2018 at 12:08 PM, The Gipper said:

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling we are going to kick ourselves on this one. 

Well I was kicking myself on this one and I cheated....... yeah a big D'OH!  I should have nailed it. :blush:

........edit add, I saw at least one play in high school, which I follow a bit. Hey Girard is going for a championship this year, great QB!

On 11/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, The Gipper said:

I decided I did not want to do Browns/Bengals trivia this week....maybe when we play them later.   Here is a set of what I call Football Oddities Trivia.  Sort of a potpourrie of unusual football stuff.   Try your hand.   Remember, no googling

4. What player once led the NFL in Passing, Punting, and Interceptions (as a defender)  in the same season? Hint...obviously, think old timer.  Sammy Baugh

Mike

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I remember as a young kid I thought the Tripletts were triplets, not true they were just two brothers although I remember Mel Triplett in the pros.

Good questions.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Anything left?

Zombo

Yes, here they are:

6. Besides the Cowboys, what is the only other team that does not retire uniform numbers

11. Which NFL coach was mentioned in a song (rap) by Eminem about cussing at his players?

12. What is the only family to have had 4 brothers play in the NFL?

14. Who is the only QB in NFL history to have started multiple (2 or more) playoff games who never had a playoff loss?

15. Name the only 2 teams in history to have had a 12-4 season one year, and then be 2-14 the next year.

Yes, here they are:

6. Besides the Cowboys, what is the only other team that does not retire uniform numbers

Raiders?

11. Which NFL coach was mentioned in a song (rap) by Eminem about cussing at his players?

Parcels?

12. What is the only family to have had 4 brothers play in the NFL?

Probably old-timers, but I'll guess Matthews

14. Who is the only QB in NFL history to have started multiple (2 or more) playoff games who never had a loss?

Drawing a blank in the Super Bowl era unless it is somebody that started playoffs games for an injured starter then the starter came back for the super bowl ... Like a Earl Morrell, Frank Reich or Don Strock or something ... if it is previous to Super Bowl era I have no clue

15. Name the only 2 teams in history to have had a 12-4 season one year, and then be 2-14 the next year.

Houston Texans with Kubiak and Schwabb would be one ...

Archived