THE BROWNS BOARD

Top PFF Grades Halfway Through

MLD Woody

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There's a new version now in Cincy, Huey 0.02.😜

Oh I get that...... I thinkl :mellow:

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I shoulda put this on it.....................$0.02.

Oh not 0.02%?  I thought maybe he had a JFF/Flash problem. Nevermind.

10 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Bungles 21

Rat Birds 24

I see Hue is having his presence felt in Cincy already! 

Rumor has it that at a key point in the game he gave Marvin his 2 cents worth and it paid off in .............................................0.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, MLD Woody said:

I think a lot of us, myself included, didn't realize just how important Joe Schobert is to our team.  Homeboy is about to get PAID in the near future, and props to Gregg Williams for moving Joe to his new position, and he's the kind of LB I've been wanting for quite some time.  It's obvious to me how hard Joe works, and there's no better proof than how he's gotten better in coverage.  I remember his first year, he was JUST out of position.  I mean, he'd be THIS close to touching the ball, but the TE would get a first down or TD instead.  Now, he's almost always in position, and he's generally responsible for getting us in the correct defensive formation.  

There are no big surprises on this list to me, OTHER than Peppers.  I've always been tough on the guy, that's no secret.  But I have noticed him playing better this year, by a wide margin.  Yeah, I'm a little ticked he fumbled that punt in OT, but really...he's been very solid.  His other big mistake came on 4th down last week when he didn't make the tackle on Hooper, and Hooper then went in for the TD.  It didn't end up costing us, but that's the EXACT kind of play he needs to make.  I think Peppers was confused for a second, and didn't know whether to go for the ball or the man, and ended up missing both.  He's got to understand down and distance there, and all he had to do was cut Hooper's legs.  That being said, I'm proud of the guy.  He was placed in an awful position last year, he kept his head up, and he's been a tough, gritty player for us.

I'm ALWAYS tough on Garrett, in part because he was the #1 overall pick, and also because I know just how talented he is.  I would like to see a FEW more game-changing plays, but I'm not sure how fair that is to him.  I realize he gets double teamed constantly, RB chipped, TE chipped, and whatever else....but I want a couple of those "Wow" plays, ya know?  Again, I'm NOT hating on Garrett.  Please don't think that.  I just want to see more!  He's going to be a great one for quite some time, and I think he's due for a multi-sack game.

And I'll agree with you on Schobert. I didn't see it last year. Figured it was mainly just about how bad a lot of other positions on our D were and his ability to clean up. This year it's been apparent how good he is based on our performance with and without him. 

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I think there is always a disconnect between what fans see (flash plays, obvious mistakes) vs what coaches/professional evaluators see (play by play breakdowns of off ball performance, what the player's responsibility actually is, etc). 

OK, that disconnect may come however as a result of expectations.   Fans expect a highly touted first round draft pick to play at a Pro Bowl level. When he plays shittily...like last year, the fans see the shite.   When they see mere average competence, like this year, they still expect Pro Bowl caliber performance.  I think fans can..for the most part... tell excellence when they see it...and mediocrity when they see it.

And yes, fans CAN be deceived.  I have said on here that I think the Troy Polamalu had been a highly overrated player, because fans saw the wild hair flying around, and him flying around (sometimes making a few spectacular plays when doing so...sometimes being wholly out of position). 

So...maybe Peppers needs to grow his hair down to his arse, and fly around like a grasshopper in heat.  Then people will think he is playing great (instead of exceedingly mediocre) 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK, that disconnect may come however as a result of expectations.   Fans expect a highly touted first round draft pick to play at a Pro Bowl level.

And yes, fans CAN be deceived.  I have said on here that I think the Troy Polamalu had been a highly overrated player, because fans saw the wild hair flying around, and him flying around (sometimes making a few spectacular plays when doing so...sometimes being wholly out of position). 

Ugh, you ever stop to think... maybe it’s not Polamalu’s hair? Maybe as a fan of the game, I noticed that Polamalu had a knack for making big plays.. maybe he was “out of position” but he played instinctively. He was intuitive. That is an extremely important trait for a safety to have.

He’ll be on his way to Canton soon...anyways. 

All I said about him anyways was that he played hard... and you’re still talking about it.

Peppers is a really good player who is still growing, like the other 99% of the current roster.

6 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Ugh, you ever stop to think... maybe it’s not Polamalu’s hair? Maybe as a fan of the game, I noticed that Polamalu had a knack for making big plays.. maybe he was “out of position” but he played instinctively. He was intuitive. That is an extremely important trait for a safety to have.

Yes, I did stop to think about it.  Having thought about it, I haven't changed my mind a lot.  I don't buy that he was intuitive necessarily. No more than any other decent DB.  I buy that he took risks and that half the time those risks paid off...and half the time they didn't...and I buy that that knack for making big plays is because he took those risks...and was successful enough... and his play was wacky and wild enough to get a lot of notice when it worked (and even when it didn't)

Probably....and he will be one of the few overrated players in there.

All I said about him anyways was that he played hard... and you’re still talking about it.

I never said he didn't play hard.  He did play hard. He took a lot of risks...and played hard doing so.  I am just saying that I think he game was not all that when it came to the basics of playing his position. His tackling skills were OK, pretty good (he was not Tatum or Lott); his coverage skills were average....he didn't do much there that most decent SS could do. When he blitzed, he failed, and he either guessed right and made a big, seemingly spectacular play (because of that hair, you know)...or he guessed wrong.  finger LeBeau coached a great defense, and when he made mistakes LeBeau's schemes were able to cover them up to a great extent.

Peppers is a really good player who is still growing, like the other 99% of the current roster.

I would not go so far to say "really good player"  yet. But I do hope that he grows into a really good player.  This defense could certainly use it. 

54 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Some users on here have some very strongly tinted orange and Brown glasses

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

On the other hand some of us have like  55 years worth of watching NFL games and are able to tell the difference between style and substance.  While Polymotherfuyckyou  was a good player, I think that his style got most people more enamored with him than there was substance to back it up.  I would compare him to TJ Ward more than a Ronnie Lott, or Earl Thomas,  or Willie Wood, or Emlen Tunnell, or Yale Lary or Paul Krause...or Kenny Easley, Larry Wilson,  or Ken Houston....Steve Atwater, John Lynch, finger Anderson, Charlie waters, Jack Tatum, Not as good as old Steeler Donnie Shell.  About on par with Carnell Lake.  And certainly not as good as contemporary Ed Reed. 

Good, not great.  Enhanced by the system he played in and the coach he played for.

25 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Manually searched annual totals for:

Hubbard  62.3 / Robinson 59.8 / Harrison 57.1

Kirksey 46.1

Collins 62.6

These guys.. are not living up to their contracts.  Except for Robinson and Harrison, of course..

Kirksey has been a real disappointment, pretty much a ghost this season. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last downs with the Browns. 

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

So what's wrong with that on TBB?

.........better than maize and blue ones. :lol:  Hey Mr. Wolverine I see where m opened as a 3' point favorite and went to 4 on many books and IN COLUMBUS! Easy money pal take the Bucks!

19 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I think there is always a disconnect between what fans see (flash plays, obvious mistakes) vs what coaches/professional evaluators see (play by play breakdowns of off ball performance, what the player's responsibility actually is, etc). 

I try to keep my expectations of Garrett in check.  I tell myself that he's in his second year, and he's almost always getting double teamed or chipped in some way.  Additionally, Garrett impacts the play even when he doesn't get to the QB, and he's stout against the run.  But....

When I watch a player like Khalil Mack, I can't help but want the same from Garrett.  I want those "change the game" plays, and I know he's good enough to get them.  Garrett should've won the game against the Steelers in week 1, but he was also responsible for one of the worst penalties I've ever seen that made the FG like 38 yards instead of 23.  

If I was a betting man, I'd bet Garrett is going to help us win a game soon with a huge play.  It's coming.  

57 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I try to keep my expectations of Garrett in check.  I tell myself that he's in his second year, and he's almost always getting double teamed or chipped in some way.  Additionally, Garrett impacts the play even when he doesn't get to the QB, and he's stout against the run.  But....

He's playing about where I expected this year given we don't really have any "twins" to go with him. I was thinking he would get close to 1 sack per game with multiple hurries of the QB and that's right about where he is now. I totally expected the double teams and chips. That will continue until we have another impact DL player to go with him. I fully expect to see that out of this year's draft or even an off-season deal.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Kirksey has been a real disappointment, pretty much a ghost this season. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last downs with the Browns. 

I really think Kirksey belongs in the middle, and that is why he is struggling.

subpar line play up front could also make his job more difficult.

Archived