THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs Texans

Comeonman

26 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I luv ya man but go fook yourself if you think I am cooking. I will take you to a buffet if you want Turkey.

I don t know the answer to your question

hahaha right on  I havnt been to the monte carlo in years but as i remember they had a damn good buffet I tried the one at the mirage earlier this year I musta put on 10 lbs or was that from all the drink ?

Go Browns

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ATOM said:

hahaha right on  I havnt been to the monte carlo in years but as i remember they had a damn good buffet I tried the one at the mirage earlier this year I musta put on 10 lbs or was that from all the drink ?

Go Browns

The Monte Carlo is no more, now called Park MGM,  Caesars buffet is the best on the strip. By far.

Props to all the people I saw at the game today here in Houston Texas. Met up with Larry ...Horta. also Comeonman...Chris and his dad and his brother great great people, briefly met Bermeck. Got my daughter and her boyfriend off back to San Antonio safe and sound even if they did have to hear me bitching and moaning and groaning about the way the game went. So it’s all good and onwards we go

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Props to all the people I saw at the game today here in Houston Texas. Met up with Larry ...Horta. also Comeonman...Chris and his dad and his brother great great people, briefly met Bermeck. Got my daughter and her boyfriend off back to San Antonio safe and sound even if they did have to hear me bitching and moaning and groaning about the way the game went. So it’s all good and onwards we go

I'm glad you got to see friends and family. That's what it's all about! I got to go to Saints game with my dad and Uncle, and while we figured out a way to choke, it was still a wonderful time. 

I've had time to digest this game and also watch it again. While I freely admit the game was equally frustrating a second time, it continues to amaze me how NFL games come down to a handful of plays. You watch the game and look at the score, you're thinking it was a blowout. You'd be right. But with only a couple of different decisions, it's a ball game. 

First one:  Baker's deep INT before halftime. This play REALLY pissed me off. Why? Because it's the 2nd time this season where Baker went deep into triple coverage before half, when we absolutely NEEDED a score. Even a FG helps with momentum, and then you add in our TD to start 2nd half, it's 23-10. Anyway, we might have gotten a TD on that forced bomb, but not from Njoku. No, I want you to go back and watch that play again. Right before Baker heaves it, Duke Johnson or Nick Chubb breaks WILDLY FREE in the middle of the field with absolutely nobody ANYWHERE near him. He was SCREAMING for the ball. At the very least, it's Browns ball 1st and 10 from around the 15. He was just sooooooo open guys. 

The obvious plays by Callaway:  We could have EASILY scored here, and that holding call on Robinson was incredibly weak. They let that go ALL the time. But then it was just bad luck that Callaway didn't see the defender on the next play, and the poor kid was just so exhausted that you could tell he was dying and trying to make a play. I don't even think he saw the DB, who made a killer play. 

Fumbles:  There were three fumbles that I saw, and Browns didn't recover any of them. Two by Texans, one by Callaway. That's unacceptable. A lot of that comes down to how the ball bounces, but sometimes you have to make your own luck. 

FG kicker had the day of his life:  The Texans' kicker is a decent one, but he's missed 5 or 6 kicks this year and struggles from distance. But you sure wouldn't know it yesterday when their kicker went full-on hall of fame on our asses. I mean Jesus. He misses one of those long kicks, and it's our ball at the 40. Or how about block one of them? Maybe run one back? We could use an effing special teams TD. 

At any rate, we got our butts kicked, and we failed to make the plays when they were there. I don't mind Baker's first two picks. Those both could've been broken up, and it looked the pick-6 was a mistake by our receiver. Also, it never should have been returned all the way either, and we HAVE to make that freaking tackle! God knows WE NEVER run anything back for a score. 

What's the absolute best part of the game? Some of the throws Baker Mayfield made, even after tossing those picks. I mean, just wow. Mayfield was throwing darts to all places of the field, and not just underneath. And you can't just say it was against the prevent because he was going deep with the ball. How many throws did Baker have to get it over the defense and put it into a small window? Simply incredible. If you take anything away from this game, it should be that Baker Mayfield doesn't get scared, and he believes in his ability to make contested throws no matter what. I'm serious, go back and watch all of Mayfield's throws, and marvel at the ability he possesses. He'll figure out the INT issue, but throwing into tight windows can't be taught. 

On the replay of the Callaway TD that they called back because of holding, I didn’t see any holding at all. I saw push I saw a shove But when does that equal a holding? But what I do think with that play and with the play where Callaway fumbled is that he is now proven to be a Real deep down field threat for the future

I was really disappointed in our showing this week... most of all in Baker. Before I go into any detail let me say that I am taking solace in the fact that "we knew there'd be days like this" his rookie season.

Pick #1 by Cunningham: Baker flat out never saw him underneath. While I can live with that... it happens every once in a while to even the best QBs... the reason he did not see the LB was height related and that bothers me more.

Pick #2 by Joseph: Great scheme by Romeo... pure bait by JJ. I don't think site line was an issue here, so the hope is a lesson learned.

Pick #3 by Hal: This one hurt the worst as it was all on Baker. Basically we're in a 2 min drill trailing 20-0. Houston is playing soft so we've already moved from our 29 to HOU's 38 where it's 3rd & 10. Our protection holds up well until Baker is finally flushed right and then chucks one into the endzone where Texans out number Njoku 3 to 1. Where it was "chucked" gave Njoku no shot at touching the ball let alone catching it. This was made worse in that 10-yd in front of Baker was Duke all alone for the 1st and then some as he had a lot of green around him.

We were down 20-0 and 10 of their 20 were gifts from Baker.

Yes, Baker ended up posting numbers, but HOU played soft the entire 2nd half.

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

On the replay of the Callaway TD that they called back because of holding, I didn’t see any holding at all. I saw push I saw a shove But when does that equal a holding? But what I do think with that play and with the play where Callaway fumbled is that he is now proven to be a Real deep down field threat for the future

Robinson hooked his guy right before Baker unloaded. It was a hold, but usually goes unnoticed/uncalled.

Zombo

By the way I fairly well hated the in stadium experience there. While the NRG dome is a beautiful facility they cram you in there like sardines. They are worse than an airline. And they never give a moment of silence or quiet. They are always blasting loud Rap or heavy metal music anytime between plays . They also act like fans at the game are idiots constantly telling him to make noise constantly screaming that it’s third-down and that we should make noise. They acted like the fans didn’t know what a fucking football game was and didn’t have a clue when they make noise or when do you get excited. Fans are not stupid they know when the game is exciting and when toYell. Cleveland Stadium gives more legroom and while I still think they blast too much noise , because it’s not in the dome it must not be as loud and Obnoxious so. So sorry it just wasn’t that much fun being actually at the stadium. The tailgate and everything around it was just fine. And I could’ve tolerated the cramping this if they didn’t blast the damn noise.And it didn’t help that the Browns were getting their ass kicked

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

By the way I fairly well hated the in stadium experience there. While the NRG dome is a beautiful facility they cram you in there like sardines. They are worse than an airline. And they never give a moment of silence or quiet. They are always blasting loud Rap or heavy metal music anytime between plays . They also act like fans at the game are idiots constantly telling him to make noise constantly screaming that it’s third-down and that we should make noise. They acted like the fans didn’t know what a fucking football game was and didn’t have a clue when they make noise or when do you get excited. Fans are not stupid they know when the game is exciting and when toYell. Cleveland Stadium gives more legroom and while I still think they blast too much noise , because it’s not in the dome it must not be as loud and Obnoxious so. So sorry it just wasn’t that much fun being actually at the stadium. The tailgate and everything around it was just fine. And I could’ve tolerated the cramping this if they didn’t blast the damn noise.And it didn’t help that the Browns were getting their ass kicked

Gip, a lot of the stuff that you mentioned isn't specific to Houston,it's League wide. They do the same crap in KC and several other venues. Must think they have to get the kids off of their cell phones and cheer at the appropriate times. 

And if you saw the Texans have their own Dumb, er I mean drumline now too.    

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gip, a lot of the stuff that you mentioned isn't specific to Houston,it's League wide. They do the same crap in KC and several other venues. Must think they have to get the kids off of their cell phones and cheer at the appropriate times. 

Yeah Larry  I know it’s all over the league this just doesn’t make it a pleasant experience for me and all that crap that they shut down your throat at the stadium. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I was at the New Orleans game this year, and it was the EXACT same experience.  I mean it was AWFUL.  Yeah, the game itself was fun (frustrating), but there was NEVER a moment of silence.  You literally couldn’t talk to ANYBODY.  My uncle and father (early 70’s) were completely miserable, and we couldn’t discuss the fun game going on.  Every time between plays the douche bag with the microphone would come on for some stupid advertisement or something, and if it wasn’t him, it was commercials on the jumbo-tron, blaring music, or whatever else.  It was completely exhausting, and it made for an “un-fun” experience.  Obviously I realize my uncle and father aren’t the target audience, but still…it was terrible.  I was furious with my experience, and I’m not in a hurry to go again, that’s for damn sure.  Is it any better at Cleveland?

That announcer was loud , very loud and was annoying 

Seemed likeTexans had 13-15 defenders when we had the ball

They were impressive , gotta give them that.

we needed a perfect game- we didn’t get it from Baker and company... with that said - he didn’t get hurt .

thanks again to Houston’s backer club ... well done Space City Dawgs !!!!!

Go Browns !!!

Bermeck (if you don’t travel with this team, your missing out)

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Be real gip, robinson choked mercilus out otherwise he was blindsiding baker. I cant beleive more people arent livid at calloway getting the ball stripped at the 1 two plays later......i havent fumed like that since last year watching kizer regress back to a d3 HS backup qb

I just saw the replays they put on the big screen at the stadium so I may have missed something

7 hours ago, bermeck08 said:

That announcer was loud , very loud and was annoying 

Seemed like Texans had 13-15 defenders when we had the ball

They were impressive , gotta give them that.

we needed a perfect game- we didn’t get it from Baker and company... with that said - he didn’t get hurt .

thanks again to Houston’s backer club ... well done Space City Dawgs !!!!!

Go Browns !!!

Bermeck (if you don’t travel with this team, your missing out)

I have a credit card looking item in my Browns Man Cave from way back before United bought out Continental. Says-  "We go to the away games too"  

On 12/4/2018 at 1:56 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Be real gip, robinson choked mercilus out otherwise he was blindsiding baker. I cant beleive more people arent livid at calloway getting the ball stripped at the 1 two plays later......i havent fumed like that since last year watching kizer regress back to a d3 HS backup qb

Ya know, I won't lie. I was absolutely incensed after the fumble. But then I looked at Callaway laying face down on the turf, defeated, exhausted, and looking like he wanted the field to swallow him up. I saw my QB run over to put both hands on helmet and reassure him that it'll be ok. I realized that we basically hit two 75 yard TD passes in a row to the same guy. We haven't had much luck hitting Callaway deep, so to see Baker throw those two balls and Callaway to make those plays....yeah...I was smiling. Even if I knew it essentially cost us any chance at the game. 

Make no mistake, Callaway has star potential. You're right in that his fumble was awful and inexcusable, but he simply didn't see the guy to his right, and he thought he was in. He had to be extremely gassed, and the defender made the play of his life. It just really sucked. Even if we lose 29-21, that just FEELS better to me. Ugh, it was so frustrating, but I still see the silver lining. 

Also, you don't want a piece of Callaway on turf. That kid is FAST. My biggest and basically ONLY concern with Callaway is him doing something stupid and getting the boot. 

On 12/4/2018 at 12:56 PM, Clevfan4life said:

BINGO

On 12/3/2018 at 7:52 PM, Tour2ma said:

I was really disappointed in our showing this week... most of all in Baker. Before I go into any detail let me say that I am taking solace in the fact that "we knew there'd be days like this" his rookie season.

Pick #1 by Cunningham: Baker flat out never saw him underneath. While I can live with that... it happens every once in a while to even the best QBs... the reason he did not see the LB was height related and that bothers me more.

Pick #2 by Joseph: Great scheme by Romeo... pure bait by JJ. I don't think site line was an issue here, so the hope is a lesson learned.

Pick #3 by Hal: This one hurt the worst as it was all on Baker. Basically we're in a 2 min drill trailing 20-0. Houston is playing soft so we've already moved from our 29 to HOU's 38 where it's 3rd & 10. Our protection holds up well until Baker is finally flushed right and then chucks one into the endzone where Texans out number Njoku 3 to 1. Where it was "chucked" gave Njoku no shot at touching the ball let alone catching it. This was made worse in that 10-yd in front of Baker was Duke all alone for the 1st and then some as he had a lot of green around him.

We were down 20-0 and 10 of their 20 were gifts from Baker.

Yes, Baker ended up posting numbers, but HOU played soft the entire 2nd half.

Great summary!  It was a very disappointing outing on both sides of the ball IMO. It's hard to get pumped up about the ole "next man up" on defense when the scheme our HC/DC resorted to seemed more like it was because he doesn't trust who he has at corner.  Consequently, we're playing a zone that is supposed to have everyone in ideal position to make the tackle.  1 problem, not everyone looked like they wanted to tackle people and the zone transition (or lack thereof) still showed me a lot of guys out of position.  Adding salt to wound, we lost Denzel Ward (which means replacing a 4th overall draft pick talent with an NFL journey man type of drop off).  Zone coverage could be good against a mobile QB like Watson in lieu of having cover guys with their backs to him if you can play a well disciplined zone with a willingness to tackle people. 

I'm not going to spend a lot of time complaining about one of the biggest bright spots of our season (Baker). BUT you are correct that the 1st half from Baker was an absolute stinker we couldn't overcome prior to the 2nd half prevent defense that enabled him to spike his stats.  The only disagreement I have is the height related/induced INT from Baker.  I think that came from a better point you made about Romeo and the specific plan he had for some of our offensive tendencies.   I saw Rosen throw a pick 6 vrs the Bears that he was fortunate enough to have called back where he didn't see the defender either. IMO, height had less bearing than inexperience on the same exact mistake Baker was vulnerable to.  Game plans don't just attack playbook tendencies - they go after some bad/sloppy habits developing that a lot of young QBs may be vulnerable to. The good news is this is a correctable mistake.  Another part of this week's game plan that I heard was emphasized all week was to get the ball out of the QBs hands early and often because of Watt and Clowney.  When we tried a deeper throw that asks the QB to hold onto the ball a little bit longer - the TD pass was called back for holding.  As you alluded to, the first half full of get the ball out quicker didn't show us a version of Baker we wanted to see.  Houston dominated time of possession and got the comfortable lead they needed to coast the rest of the day.  If you want to chalk up the batted down pass by JJ Watt to Baker's height - you probably won't get many arguments.  That said, Watt has always produced an elite amount of batted down passes that aren't exclusive to just the shorter guys.  Bernie used to get more passes batted down than Baker especially late in his career after injuries to his shoulder and elbow that were bringing his release down dangerously close to that of MLB Pitcher Kent Tekulve. Okay, I added a little Hollywood to that...

I was really looking forward to the return of our Mitchell-Ward tandem this coming week so we could return to the aggressive style of attack up front Williams felt comfortable/excited to use.  Next man up stuff works way better on teams not coming off 0-16 football with injuries to 2 of their most important upgrades (Mitchell and Ward). Maybe we'll get them back together for the last 3 games... 

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

I was really looking forward to the return of our Mitchell-Ward tandem this coming week so we could return to the aggressive style of attack up front Williams felt comfortable/excited to use.  Next man up stuff works way better on teams not coming off 0-16 football with injuries to 2 of their most important upgrades (Mitchell and Ward). Maybe we'll get them back together for the last 3 games... 

Just an add on Tom. for the Panthers, Ward is out- if there's any week we can stand to have him sit, this is the week. The Panthers regular kicker Gano is out too, so if FG are going to make the difference....  

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just an add on Tom. for the Panthers, Ward is out- if there's any week we can stand to have him sit, this is the week. The Panthers regular kicker Gano is out too, so if FG are going to make the difference....  

I appreciate you trying make me feel better about it all Larry.  I think I'm going to finally learn and choose the route of I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

It's no so much about Carolina's WRs - it's more about what Gregg Williams trusts or doesn't trust out of our corners in the schematic.  We're right back to extending the gimme to QBs on short throws.  So what's the problem?  Remember what Gregg Williams said about why he was excited to add an elite corner like Ward instead of another edge rusher?  In 2017, he counted over 28 plays where our pass rush and Myles Garrett in particular was within 1-1.5 steps of hitting the QB before the throw. He said if they would have had better coverage against the quick throws - many of those plays would have been sacks via causing the QBs to hold onto the ball for that extra 10th-100th of a second.  Consequently, we drafted Ward instead of Bradley Chubb. I don't know if anyone remembers the start we got off to prior to losing Mitchell in the Raiders game - but the pass rush was getting to Roethlisberger, Brees, and other QBs in the form of sacks and turnover differential to celebrate.  It's the dynamic we just don't "next man up" since we've been missing 50% of the upgraded corner tandem here.  Hopefully, we'll get Ward back next week for the last 3 games....

I NEVER get excited about struggling FG kickers.  For example, we both attended the OT game in Tampa where a kicker (that got cut 1-2 weeks after we played them) drilled a 59 yard FG right down the middle in OT.  If ANYONE ever has a struggling kicker - just play Cleveland and they're cured for at least 1 week.  And there's our side of the kicker thang where we can draft a talented Lou Groza Award winner and have him needing prozac and intensive therapy by week 2 of his 2nd season. 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:49 AM, Flugel said:

The only disagreement I have is the height related/induced INT from Baker.  I think that came from a better point you made about Romeo and the specific plan he had for some of our offensive tendencies.   I saw Rosen throw a pick 6 vrs the Bears that he was fortunate enough to have called back where he didn't see the defender either. IMO, height had less bearing than inexperience on the same exact mistake Baker was vulnerable to.

I get that... sooner or later even the best QBs throw picks to defenders they don't see, but are in plain sight. However, in the case of pick #1 there is circumstantial evidence that supports my height speculation.

It doesn't have to be a significant factor in Baker's career, but it is a factor that will lead to an INT from time to time just as is the case with Brees and other 6-foot-ish QBs in the league.

Archived