2) “Roma”

3) “Green Book”

4) “The Favourite”

5) “If Beale Street Could Talk”

6) “Black Panther”

7) “BlacKkKlansman”

8) “First Man”

9) “Widows”

I have seen only  Black Panther.    What do you say about this list Steve?

Haven't seen most of them. We'll have to get on the stick. Black klansman is on pay-per-view now and widows is playing in the theaters. I would imagine it's up there to serve the politically correct crowd. Assuming there will be more in that category. Never even heard of most of these. Thought Star is Born was okay. And that black panther was a mediocre superhero movie no more deserving of an Oscar than the Avengers.

WSSis

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Haven't seen most of them. We'll have to get on the stick. Black klansman is on pay-per-view now and widows is playing in the theaters. I would imagine it's up there to serve the politically correct crowd. Assuming there will be more in that category. Never even heard of most of these. Thought Star is Born was okay. And that black panther was a mediocre superhero movie no more deserving of an Oscar than the Avengers.

WSSis

It was better than the Avengers because I thought that the (original) Avengers was awful.  But..sure, no more deserving than 100 other Superhero movies.  I still liked it OK....but Oscar worthy?  No.  

On the other hand, is it any more silly than a movie about a fishman  fuycking a chick?

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It was better than the Avengers because I thought that the (original) Avengers was awful.  But..sure, no more deserving than 100 other Superhero movies.  I still liked it OK....but Oscar worthy?  No.  

On the other hand, is it any more silly than a movie about a fishman  fuycking a chick?

Actually I loved the shape of water. If you didn't oh, oh well.

WSS

Just now, Westside Steve said:

Actually I loved the shape of water. If you didn't oh, oh well.

WSS

Actually, I did like it fine.   I am just not sure that it was "Best Picture" material.  The problem is that I am not sure that the competition was any better:

Great performance by Oldham.....but not Best Picture
image.jpeg.b592bc1f660282583affe000c6c7db4e.jpeg

Superficial treatment of the event.....there was a much better BBC miniseries on it a few years back......
.....even though Tom Hardy portrayed my cousin, essentially in this movie
image.jpeg.241b39ce42c1f7c1662d323ca441bd1f.jpeg

You know how I feel about this....great performances.....but one of the most boring/stupid movies ever.
image.jpeg.fedbf4c872c3203581937cb53c1d3a80.jpeg

If any this is the one that could have perhaps taken it instead, even though I didn't think overall that it was a tour de force.
image.jpeg.744d42034f36d1736499a4d3a26e7bbe.jpeg

Never saw it.  Heard it was just another minority story.
image.jpeg.5dd462568691e6c33bb46333853d9c62.jpeg

A warmed over All the Presiden'ts men.
image.jpeg.9ddf9fddf7278a1160b32b162d7af6a0.jpeg

Never saw it....heard that its only basic appeal was to LBGTers
image.jpeg.89c861f3532d434483edbb501d49196d.jpeg

Pretty much hated this one.  Got it on video...and didn't finish it.

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Actually, I did like it fine.   I am just not sure that it was "Best Picture" material.  The problem is that I am not sure that the competition was any better:

loved it. Completely different and outstanding.
image.jpeg.4ee4d8428f95488c7f2aef4d322c8f1d.jpeg

Great performance by Oldham.....but not Best Picture

Oldham is great movie was OK
image.jpeg.b592bc1f660282583affe000c6c7db4e.jpeg

Superficial treatment of the event.....there was a much better BBC miniseries on it a few years back......
.....even though Tom Hardy portrayed my cousin, essentially in this movie

too slow but respectable
image.jpeg.241b39ce42c1f7c1662d323ca441bd1f.jpeg

You know how I feel about this....great performances.....but one of the most boring/stupid movies ever.

well-crafted but I hated it
image.jpeg.fedbf4c872c3203581937cb53c1d3a80.jpeg

If any this is the one that could have perhaps taken it instead, even though I didn't think overall that it was a tour de force.

not the same old shitt. Loved it.
image.jpeg.744d42034f36d1736499a4d3a26e7bbe.jpeg

Never saw it.  Heard it was just another minority story.

B-movie garbage with the race card
image.jpeg.5dd462568691e6c33bb46333853d9c62.jpeg

everybody hates the Catholic Church These Days.
image.jpeg.9ddf9fddf7278a1160b32b162d7af6a0.jpeg

Never saw it....heard that its only basic appeal was to LBGTers

after all their bitching the critics loved an underage kid getting boned buy a grown up.
image.jpeg.89c861f3532d434483edbb501d49196d.jpeg

Pretty much hated this one.  Got it on video...and didn't finish it.

teenage angst the got extra credit from critics for adding homosexuality.

Are you confusing this movie with the one about the Boston Newspaper that investigated the priest abuses?  Spotlight, from a couple of years back?  This was about the Washington Post releasing the Pentagon Papers.

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Are you confusing this movie with the one about the Boston Newspaper that investigated the priest abuses?  Spotlight, from a couple of years back?  This was about the Washington Post releasing the Pentagon Papers.

Yes I am, and I stand corrected. Should have gone back and read my summary from that Oscar season.

I should have said liberals always love to press when it does their bidding.

😉

WSS

52 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yes I am, and I stand corrected. Should have gone back and read my summary from that Oscar season.

I should have said liberals always love to press when it does their bidding.

😉

WSS

And conservatives love to suppress the truth and love to lie in order to do their bidding.  So, I guess it is all even.

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And conservatives love to suppress the truth and love to lie in order to do their bidding.  So, I guess it is all even.

That's true but it has nothing to do with the context of this Oscar nomination. Very similar to the scene in the verdict when the bad guys lawyer instructed his cronies in the press to write a puff piece about dr. Tarnower. With the Press Under Fire I don't have much. That this film was made to show them in a good light.

And it got more attention because for the most part liberal filmmakers are better than conservative filmmakers. Not always but in general.

WSS

39 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

That's true but it has nothing to do with the context of this Oscar nomination. Very similar to the scene in the verdict when the bad guys lawyer instructed his cronies in the press to write a puff piece about dr. Tarnower. With the Press Under Fire I don't have much. That this film was made to show them in a good light.

And it got more attention because for the most part liberal filmmakers are better than conservative filmmakers. Not always but in general.

WSS

Are you saying that Bedtime for Bonzo starring the so called conservative Ronald Reagan was not a fine piece of film making?

On the other hand, you have Clint Eastwood.  I think that he, and everyone else would think of him as conservative,   and he has acted in, directed, produced many great films.....Oscar worthy. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Are you saying that Bedtime for Bonzo starring the so called conservative Ronald Reagan was not a fine piece of film making?

On the other hand, you have Clint Eastwood.  I think that he, and everyone else would think of him as conservative,   and he has acted in, directed, produced many great films.....Oscar worthy. 

I never said that there were none. I just said for the most part liberals seem to be better in that particular instance.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I never said that there were none. I just said for the most part liberals seem to be better in that particular instance.

WSS

I haven't been keeping score....nor have I even much an inkling of What writers/producers/directors etc. of who is liberal/conservative etc.  Other than someone like Michael Moore.

Archived