THE BROWNS BOARD

Health Tips

The Gipper

I think a number of the posts over on the Stan thread got deleted because they did not deal with the subject of the thread, but with what we could all do to not suffer that same unfortunate fate due to not taking care of our health. Fair enough.

So maybe we can put that to use here and just talk about things that we can do to try to stay healthy.  I for one am terrrible about it.  Suffer from Diabetes,  60 lbs. overweight.(at least).  My doctor has been getting on me about moving my fat butt.

So, I took the suggestion of Russ  (ballpeen)  and I moved my butt today anyway.   Got up and walked 3 miles...but not all at once.   Two stretches of about 1.5 miles apiece.

I know Russ felt bad because he did not say something to Stan, and believed he should have gotten on his butt about losing weight.

So here is where you can get on our arses all you want Russ...or anyone else.  

So, beyond just getting out and walking, feel free to leave any other health tips here.  A lot of us can use them.

Before you do any strenuous exercise, see a doctor.  Get a physical.  Blood Pressure, blood work,, etc.  If you are okay, start out slowly.  Walking is good, but you have to do a brisk walk, not a zombie walk to get any benefit.  Exercise bike is good, as is treadmill.  Do some light dumb bell exercises to get your muscles working.  Also, if you're over 50 you should be seeing a doctor every six months for a physical.  Sheet can sneak up on you real quick.

You could start walking. I think if you have a friend with a farm, go take a long walk in their woods. You could buy a juicer,

and make vegetable/fruit juice. Or, start eating a lot of fresh fruit - organic preferred. A lot of vitamins get lost in cooking everything, especially enzymes. Anti-oxidants are a boost to your health - like green tea...You can go for more lean meats, less carbohydrates...

and...buy a good pair of tennis shoes. One time, with my worn out shoes, I slipped on some mud out near the garden, and in about one second, I went to the ground in the rain, on my elbow. Popped a rotator cuff completely in two. Wife came hurrying in from the living room to where I was in the kitchen, because I was so quiet. Had surgery.

another thing - you should take stock of your health. If you have a very bad knee or hip - not good to delay it. It causes more problems elsewhere - back/ankle.... see about getting whatever it is, fixed.

Don't sleep in your chair. I fell asleep in an awkward position while going over my adventure novel one more time, and woke up to my neck bothering me. I waited about two months, no better. So, I went to my chiropractor, and got my neck back in alignment.

And there are merits to herbal medicine - you should probably go to an expert.

and make good quality water your friend.

15 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Before you do any strenuous exercise, see a doctor.  Get a physical.  Blood Pressure, blood work,, etc.  If you are okay, start out slowly.  Walking is good, but you have to do a brisk walk, not a zombie walk to get any benefit.  Exercise bike is good, as is treadmill.  Do some light dumb bell exercises to get your muscles working.  Also, if you're over 50 you should be seeing a doctor every six months for a physical.  Sheet can sneak up on you real quick.

I see my doctor now about once every 3-4 months....that include doing the blood pressure (which has always been good), and blood work. (its the blood sugar that is my issue).  She is the one that said get out and walk....and she agrees with you that it must be a fairly brisk walk....not just a light stroll.

I have to get a physical every year for work.  (CDL trucker)

They always tell me to lose weight. 

Hopefully someday I will listen

Archived