THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg WIlliams being interviewed for the HC position.

Ghoolie

Sorry I don't have the link. It may have been Yahoo Sports. Frankly, here is my 2 cents. The players like him, the team looked better than they have at any time since 1999. He is already accepted by the fans and community, he has as much experience as anyone else, and God knows he has passion, even from Ghoolie-ness about him.

his seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  Give the guy the reins and the job. WHy disrupt this team any more than it already has been? I say, screw the outsiders, give the guy his shot.

only thing that bothers me is his persona he displayed on hard knocks and has also shown in the past with other teams is that pounding your fist on the table Sheet will get old after awhile and i'm afraid that the players would tune him out 

34 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Sorry I don't have the link. It may have been Yahoo Sports. Frankly, here is my 2 cents. The players like him, the team looked better than they have at any time since 1999. He is already accepted by the fans and community, he has as much experience as anyone else, and God knows he has passion, even from Ghoolie-ness about him.

his seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  Give the guy the reins and the job. WHy disrupt this team any more than it already has been? I say, screw the outsiders, give the guy his shot.

I think the report was that in Dorsey's interview that Williams would be interviewed.....but that he would not necessarily be the only...or even leading candidate.  

I don't think anything in that regard will be moved on until after the season is over.

26 minutes ago, ATOM said:

only thing that bothers me is his persona he displayed on hard knocks and has also shown in the past with other teams is that pounding your fist on the table Sheet will get old after awhile and i'm afraid that the players would tune him out 

That’s kinda what l thought on the matter when the prospect of him being made HC came up in what-if scenarios. The whole yelling and F bomb schtick didn’t strike me as HC material.

I heard one report that he has softened his demeanor some since taking the job though, so who knows? No need to press the decision before the off season.

The players seem to respond to Williams in a positive way. I'm with Ghoolie....if we win at least 3 of the last 6 games, I would give him the job. You guys who worry about his personality: We don't know how the guy is with players. We only know what we see and hear through the media. The local media has a way of distorting everything to be negative. I guess it's more interesting that way. Here's a what if scenario....what if we get rid of Williams, hire a new HC, and he sucks?...back to the same old crap. If Williams is not HC material, we will find out by the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

The players seem to respond to Williams in a positive way. I'm with Ghoolie....if we win at least 3 of the last 6 games, I would give him the job. You guys who worry about his personality: We don't know how the guy is with players. We only know what we see and hear through the media. The local media has a way of distorting everything to be negative. I guess it's more interesting that way. Here's a what if scenario....what if we get rid of Williams, hire a new HC, and he sucks?...back to the same old crap. If Williams is not HC material, we will find out by the end of the season.

thing is we don't know what is going on in the locker room but one for sure it looks as if kitchens and mayfield have bonded well and i would hate to see that relationship disrupted 

There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

No more shotgun marriages.  

- Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

36 minutes ago, Orion said:

There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

No more shotgun marriages.  

- Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

You are right, it isn't an impossibility. 

I just can't see Dorsey hitching his wagon to Greg Williams as head coach, because if it doesn't work out, Dorsey will be leaving town with Williams. 

We'll see. 

19 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You are right, it isn't an impossibility. 

I just can't see Dorsey hitching his wagon to Greg Williams as head coach, because if it doesn't work out, Dorsey will be leaving town with Williams. 

We'll see. 

Maybe we have to see who is in the available/ready to go job pool of potential head coaches also. Cleveland might be a better job after the 2018 season compared to previous years.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

But you have to be practical... Never say never. 

But I didn't say never.  I said very little chance.  -  That's my opinion.  -  Dorsey said that he thinks about it all the time...in his car...etc.  And that he KNOWS he has to get this right.  I just think it's too coincidental that the coach that he's wanted since last year around this time, when he got here, is Williams.  And you KNOW he's been thinking about who he'd want as HC all along.  Dorsey has known since day one that Hue could possibly be fired during or after this season.  

Now, if the team wins 5 of the last 6 games, then, the interview with Williams takes on a little more serious tone.  Or perhaps Haslam, in his finite wisdom, will dictate that Williams be HC.

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Apparently EVERYTHING Ghoolie has been spewing about Williams can be conveniently forgotten with one victory over the Falcons. 

Laughable. 

You are like CNN. Regardless of reality, you cling to your narrative and childish bitterness.

Here is the deal pimple-nutz, the sun sets, the sun rises, the qorld.turns, and time marches on.

I would have never hired Williams for the very reasons I stated. Now, all that I said about him is true, but also true is that qe live.in a different world than we did a few weeks ago.

The team has responded in a way that nobody, for sure I would never have expected. It makes.perfect sense that if the guy can keep that spirit alive, all the caveats about him get flushed.

Enough new starts and rebuilds. This team may very wellnot lose another game this year.

Give Williams a shot.

If he finishes off with 4 wins in the last 6 games........................hire him if he wants it.  Sorry I will be in R.I. the weekend of the Texans game. Memorial service for wife's favorite cousin who died suddenly. But the Denver game is carried by NFL Network on the 15th. Looking forward to watching that. I know exactly where to look for my nephew now.🧐

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2018/REG/Browns

the odds are just not that great.. https://www.indeonline.com/sports/20181115/browns-coaching-search-what-history-of-interim-coaches-says-about-gregg-williams-chances    but the guy holding the coaching keys, was Dorsey's best choice. Williams 'has' these players backs..No better time than now, to see if this team will run through a wall for Williams then now..

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

You are like CNN. Regardless of reality, you cling to your narrative and childish bitterness.

Here is the deal pimple-nutz, the sun sets, the sun rises, the qorld.turns, and time marches on.

I would have never hired Williams for the very reasons I stated. Now, all that I said about him is true, but also true is that qe live.in a different world than we did a few weeks ago.

The team has responded in a way that nobody, for sure I would never have expected. It makes.perfect sense that if the guy can keep that spirit alive, all the caveats about him get flushed.

Enough new starts and rebuilds. This team may very wellnot lose another game this year.

Give Williams a shot.

Basically, your "morals" that you ramble on about can change with every little breeze. 

You'll call for him to be fired the next game the Browns lose.

Like I said, you are laughable, like Fox News. Full of bluster, with absolutely no substance. 

50 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Basically, your "morals" that you ramble on about can change with every little breeze. 

You'll call for him to be fired the next game the Browns lose.

Like I said, you are laughable, like Fox News. Full of bluster, with absolutely no substance. 

I call dibs on C-SPAN 2. 

The real wild card in all of this is how Kitchens steers the offense the last half dozen games or so. If he continues to be innovative and effective (emphasis on effective), then you have to think long and hard about keeping Baker in the Kitchens. The potential puns alone are terribly intriguing. Baker? Kitchens? Yeesh.

”Kitchen’s use of Baker has this team on a roll”

”Kitchen’s and Baker’s plays are so creative and innovative: it bagels the mind!”

24 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I call dibs on C-SPAN 2. 

The real wild card in all of this is how Kitchens steers the offense the last half dozen games or so. If he continues to be innovative and effective (emphasis on effective), then you have to think long and hard about keeping Baker in the Kitchens. The potential puns alone are terribly intriguing. Baker? Kitchens? Yeesh.

”Kitchen’s and Baker’s plays are so creative and innovative: it bagels the mind!”

Yep- I can see the Browns getting the most unique call in NFL history, "Cleveland - Baker's Dozen on the field - 5 yard penalty from the previous spot."

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I call dibs on C-SPAN 2. 

I'm waiting for.....

..... " Baker burns steelers in Pittsburgh"  Hundreds of steeler fans sickened trying to digest it. :lol:

I may be in the minority but.. I hope Gregg works out..The players seem to dig him..  One thing I noticed the last 2 games is the ME and penalties are down considerably.. Another thing I notice.. The refs and officiating arent impacting the outcome like in games past... That to me is encouraging , to say the least...

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

You are like FoxNews. Regardless of reality, you cling to your narrative and childish bitterness.

I would have never hired Williams for the very reasons I stated. Now, all that I said about him is true, but also true is that we live.in a different world than we did a few weeks ago.

Enough new starts and rebuilds. This team may very well not lose another game this year.

Give Williams a shot.

FIFY

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I may be in the minority but.. I hope Gregg works out..The players seem to dig him..  One thing I noticed the last 2 games is the ME and penalties are down considerably.. Another thing I notice.. The refs and officiating arent impacting the outcome like in games past... That to me is encouraging , to say the least...

I mean, Gregg almost didn’t even cross my mind.  What has shocked me more than just about anything is the way he is with the players.  How he corresponds with the media, and the manner in which he conveys his messages.  Gregg comes across sincere, intelligent, and fully involved.  He preaches discipline and accountability, and so far the players have responded accordingly (fewer penalties, alleged better practices, etc). 

It’s only been two games, so nobody here is jumping to conclusions or lofty predictions, but two games is all the evidence we have right now, and it’s what I’m basing my opinion on here.  Gregg and the current coaching staff somehow “fit” with what we need at THIS moment.  We needed an experienced, savvy, and disciplined presence during the ugly divorce period, and so far, that’s exactly what we’ve received.  A lot of times we got to see the “fiery” side of Gregg, whether from Hard Knocks or other video material.  What we didn’t see as much of was the kinder, caring side of him, and I think that’s really helping the players to buy into what he’s selling.  Gregg isn’t a fool, and every time he’s asked about next year, he slyly changes the subject or gives the perfect politically correct response.  You know what’s REALLY crazy?  I actually LIKE watching/listening to his pressers.  I used to HATE listening to Hue Jackson talk.  Just couldn’t stand them.  But when Gregg speaks, I find myself paying attention. 

Freddie Kitchens has been somewhat of a revelation, and it’s pretty safe to say that the offense has exceeded many of our expectations after losing the head coach and OC.  The Falcon’s game was a virtual masterpiece, and time after time he placed Baker Mayfield in position to make the kind of throws he excels at.  Baker had several key 3rd down throws that could not have been placed any better, and he also displayed the ability to look down the field, not like what he saw, and then fire an ACCURATE ball to a RB for positive yardage.   So here’s the thing….if you have a rookie QB, the #1 pick of the draft, and he’s beginning to take steps forward every week, do you REALLY want to separate him from his OC?

Again, it's been two weeks, against two bad defenses.  Nobody is anointing our new staff and players the New England Patriots.  In fact, I fully expect us to have a real stinker coming up in one of these games.  Why?  Because we have some young players at key positions, and we've got a young OC who undoubtedly will get his lunch eaten by a bigger fish.  That being said, if we finish the year strong, even 2-4, it's going to be a difficult decision.  That'd be 5-10-1, up from a winless season, with a young QB who got 12 games under his belt, and some positive momentum for the first time in forever.  

But you know what?  I almost think there's absolutely NO WAY Dorsey keeps the current staff.  Want to know why?  Because Dorsey has worked his way up from the bottom.  He's been successful at multiple places, but guess what he's never gotten to do....he's never gotten to pick his own coach.  Andy Reid was hired two weeks before Dorsey was hired in KC.  Dorsey didn't pick the Packers' coach, either.  Dorsey isn't "old", but he's no spring chicken.  This could potentially be the only chance Dorsey will EVER get to pick his own coach.  Can he really give that up because Freddie Kitchens is moving the offense and Gregg Williams is connecting with players?  I seriously doubt it.  

Archived