THE BROWNS BOARD

Bell done in Pittsburgh

LondonBrown

52 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Using your logic of deliberately ignoring words.. it's not worth debating you since you actually think the owners have all the power and the players have none.

It doesn't matter how any owner postures -- it matters what specifically they offer and what the players are willing to accept.  Google a clue - players don't just accept the first or second thing that was proposed. 

And back to what I linked the first time.. players are going over 50% at the end of the current CBA, and they will shut it down until they get it.  The phrase used was "ready for war."  So, yes, they're telling players to save money.

Might want to read the current deal.. there's over 10 pages defining revenue and the calculations by which the salary cap is determined.  The reason the cap keeps going up is.. the media income is going up.  If the owners had all the power.. that cap wouldn't be increasing.

Duh, Exactly. I'm done, this is all hypothetical posturing until the current CBA runs out. 99.9% of all NFL fans could currently give a rats azz what might happen down the road. The Earth could get hit by an asteroid before it happens. 

It's damn hard to be sympathetic to an athlete that flipped the bird to a one year franchise tag that's at least 5 times more than the average fan will ever make in a lifetime. 

Keep spouting, and I'm locking the thread. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Using your logic of deliberately ignoring words.. it's not worth debating you since you actually think the owners have all the power and the players have none.

It doesn't matter how any owner postures -- it matters what specifically they offer and what the players are willing to accept.  Google a clue - players don't just accept the first or second thing that was proposed. 

And back to what I linked the first time.. players are going over 50% at the end of the current CBA, and they will shut it down until they get it.  The phrase used was "ready for war."  So, yes, they're telling players to save money.

Might want to read the current deal.. there's over 10 pages defining revenue and the calculations by which the salary cap is determined.  The reason the cap keeps going up is.. the media income is going up.  If the owners had all the power.. that cap wouldn't be increasing.

What you foolishly ignore is the fact that all of what you say is a matter of collective bargaining.  The players and owners must negotiate the terms of the various things you refer to:  percentage of revenue that goes to players...increases in salary cap...etc. 

And, as I said....the player's union can strike...or be locked out...all they want.  They still must negotiate....and they will still give up their first born for a slightly larger slice of the pie. 

And if you don't think that "replacement" players would be a possibility.....remember, the  Alliance of American Football is starting up this spring....as may be a new either USFL or XFL.     All propose to be feeder leagues to the NFL....which is exactly what could happen if the players think they can shut the game down.

. You seriously think Jimmy Haslam (net worth $3 billion) would sweat it with a players strike having cash coming in from Pilot\Flying J? 

Remember though, Jimmuh sold Pilot/FJ  to Warren Buffett earlier... so he is replete with cash at this point.   Perhaps you heard that he bought the MLS Columbus Crew.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What you foolishly ignore is the fact that all of what you say is a matter of collective bargaining.  The players and owners must negotiate the terms of the various things you refer to:  percentage of revenue that goes to players...increases in salary cap...etc. 

And, as I said....the player's union can strike...or be locked out...all they want.  They still must negotiate....and they will still give up their first born for a slightly larger slice of the pie. 

And if you don't think that "replacement" players would be a possibility.....remember, the  Alliance of American Football is starting up this spring....as may be a new either USFL or XFL.     All propose to be feeder leagues to the NFL....which is exactly what could happen if the players think they can shut the game down.

Didn’t the players actually decertify  their union the last time? Regardless, they’re not exactly a tight knit bunch 

On 11/14/2018 at 1:43 AM, The Gipper said:

Well I think it is debatable whether or not Connor is better but he certainly is not much worse. And as I have said it may be more about the system than the players talent it’s self that is the key there

they have a friggin mack truck ol....just about any rb would do well behind it.....

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Duh, Exactly. I'm done, this is all hypothetical posturing until the current CBA runs out. 99.9% of all NFL fans could currently give a rats azz what might happen down the road. The Earth could get hit by an asteroid before it happens. 

It's damn hard to be sympathetic to an athlete that flipped the bird to a one year franchise tag that's at least 5 times more than the average fan will ever make in a lifetime. 

Keep spouting, and I'm locking the thread. 

Unless your name is Unsympathetic.

Archived