THE BROWNS BOARD

Bell done in Pittsburgh

LondonBrown

"I want to confirm that Le'Veon Bell did not sign his Franchise Tender today and, as a result, he will not be eligible to play football during the 2018 season," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement.

Bell, who's currently in Pittsburgh, is missing the season to preserve his long-term viability for a 2019 contract despite telling ESPN on Oct. 1 that he would play in 2018.

"I'll be fully committed and give you everything I have," Bell said then. "I still want to go out there and win a Super Bowl with the Steelers."

$14.5m just thrown away

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

$14.5m just thrown away

Fuyuck him.   I think he is going to be seriously surprised by how little interest there may be in him come FA time.....at the price he thinks is worth.

I think the success of Conner shows other teams that Bell may in fact have been a system runner,  bouyed by the good OL of the Steelers. Not saying he sucks, just that he may be nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

He'll get a nice contract in free agency. But he'll never get that 14.5 Mil back ... I assume he isnt married or that would have played out differently.

Meanwhile we have 22 yo Chubb signed to a team friendly deal through 2022 ... It is good to be the future kings of the AFC North.

Z

4 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I thought he was still considered Steeler property then since he still has to fulfill a season under his current contract. Do l have that wrong?

He is restricted free agent at the end of season because he never signed the tender.

Z

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't quite understand why Browns fans would be mad at him for doing this. 

It's not your money, and it weakens the Steelers. 

I wish more Steelers players had sat out the whole year. 

Yeah! Ben & Antonio need to grow a pair & refuse to play next year in support of "what's 'is name".

Mike

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

He'll get a nice contract in free agency. But he'll never get that 14.5 Mil back ... I assume he isnt married or that would have played out differently.

Meanwhile we have 22 yo Chubb signed to a team friendly deal through 2022 ... It is good yo be the future kings of the AFC North.

Z

John,

I know it pains you to give kudos to the Steelers, but really, including Gordon, I am sick of these a holes who loterally.defecate on the game we love so much.

Qho TF does this guy think he is? F ing idiot loses millions, over what? 

I wish the bastard nothing but bad things.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

He is restricted free agent at the end of season because he never signed the tender.

Which theoretically will cost him even more money...

If the Steelers slap a 1st round tender on him it'll only cost them about $4.5mm.

I'm not seeing his endgame here...

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Because he left more money on the table than most of us will ever see in our lives. It’s an arrogant pooper move. I think that some time ago Pgh decided that his main value was through comp draft picks when someone else signs him. They have saved Bell’s entire 2018 salary, and replaced him with a better younger running back. Lost the best offensive player in the league and are sitting in the second seed. They stepped in Sheet and came out smelling like a rose, unless Conner gets injured and is done for the year. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It by no means weakens the Steelers.  Aside from Connor being better, the Steelers have 14.6 mil in cap space for next year.

That along with Shaziers contract being gone, it can only strengthen the Steelers...they need a top notch DB.

Heard that Jalen Ramsey wans out of Jax !

3 hours ago, StinkHole said:

It by no means weakens the Steelers.  Aside from Connor being better, the Steelers have 14.6 mil in cap space for next year.

That along with Shaziers contract being gone, it can only strengthen the Steelers...they need a top notch DB.

Heard that Jalen Ramsey wans out of Jax !

Well I think it is debatable whether or not Connor is better but he certainly is not much worse. And as I have said it may be more about the system than the players talent it’s self that is the key there

8 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I thought he was still considered Steeler property then since he still has to fulfill a season under his current contract. Do l have that wrong?

It's complicated- he's not under contract, and I think this is right....  per nfl.com..  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000987961/article/leveon-bell-does-not-sign-tag-will-miss-2018-season

The Steelers can either tag him at the QB tender, or use the transition tag- meaning they can match any offer he gets on the open market. Why would they? Connor has proved Bell is imminently expendable, and the Steelers never overpay.

MHO? Bell is a complete jerk flushing $14 million down the toilet. Regardless of what offer he gets on the open market- he's never going to make the money back. 

I dont consider to be myself in a position to judge whether he did well or not.

I only remember Maurice Drew Jones saying that as a running back, he did regret not keeping the hold out longer. The first game after he came back (after keeping training during the hold out) he hot injured and never had a chance for a big contract. 

Everyone plays the cards they are given, and though these players earn way more than most of us do, I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were in that situation, mostly considering how short their careers are (and even more as RB) and the physical toll this sport gives them for the rest of their lives: back, head, knee problems, etc.

12 hours ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Because he left more money on the table than most of us will ever see in our lives. It’s an arrogant pooper move.

How, exactly, is leaving money on the table arrogant? He wants the security of a longer contract. It's the OPPOSITE of arrogant!

If you, personally, want a larger salary..... you have to fight for it. Your employer is not going to give anything to you out of the goodness of their heart.

The moral of the story is Bell is going to set an incredible precedent for players in the coming decade. Most of the time the "hold out" has been a shallow threat by both the organization and player, but this time it ended the way it never has before.

IF Bell gets a Gurley type contract from someone, don't be surprised, at all, if more players take this route. We know Bell essentially was offered $20 million full guaranteed, and declined. IF bell gets say $40 million guaranteed, he still comes out ahead of what the franchise tag would have offered him in career earnings. 

2 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

The moral of the story is Bell is going to set an incredible precedent for players in the coming decade. Most of the time the "hold out" has been a shallow threat by both the organization and player, but this time it ended the way it never has before.

IF Bell gets a Gurley type contract from someone, don't be surprised, at all, if more players take this route. We know Bell essentially was offered $20 million full guaranteed, and declined. IF bell gets say $40 million guaranteed, he still comes out ahead of what the franchise tag would have offered him in career earnings. 

I think teams will look at Conner and say.........................................hmmmmmm................maybe not so much the RB as the OL.

38 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

How, exactly, is leaving money on the table arrogant? He wants the security of a longer contract. It's the OPPOSITE of arrogant!

If you, personally, want a larger salary..... you have to fight for it. Your employer is not going to give anything to you out of the goodness of their heart.

His arrogance showed when he posted pictures online of Walmart applications. Total D__ move.

Everything else you posted is spot on.

If Bell is fine by missing out on all that cash then good for him. The NFL does seem to do running backs dirty, They get used and abused for years at the end of the team they gave their best years to tells you to hit the road play for what we say we want t give you. Now that being said once you have a great oline in place the rb is the easiest player to replace. We seen it go on for years, The Ravens did it to J. Lewis the Cowpokes did it to Emmit, the Panthers did it to Willams the list goes on and on and on.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think teams will look at Conner and say.........................................hmmmmmm................maybe not so much the RB as the OL.

For sure man, this could absolutely be what happens as well and Bell gets an incentive laden one year deal, tear his ACL and never be the same again. It's going to be extremely interesting to see how this shakes out.

41 minutes ago, medicineman said:

If Bell is fine by missing out on all that cash then good for him. The NFL does seem to do running backs dirty, They get used and abused for years at the end of the team they gave their best years to tells you to hit the road play for what we say we want t give you. Now that being said once you have a great oline in place the rb is the easiest player to replace. We seen it go on for years, The Ravens did it to J. Lewis the Cowpokes did it to Emmit, the Panthers did it to Willams the list goes on and on and on.

As I see it, Bell is taking a big gamble betting on himself. What if? No team wants to give him a Gurley level contract? First, the way Chubb is playing it won't be the Browns. Second- teams that think they're a "running back away" scratch the Saints and Chiefs. Will Le'veon take a big offer from a bottom feeder team, maybe- if it's all about money.  But the bottom feeders can draft a running back come 2019 and pay them 1\10th of what Bell wants. Make that what he thinks he's worth. LOL, the Giants don't need him either... 

I know they play two different positions, but let’s see how this works out for Bell after what Cousins did. Cousins shut his mouth, played his time under the tag with an attitude of “I’m being paid a Shmuckton of money, I’ll get a contract later.” I’m doubting bell has the same happy ever after ending. 

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Well.....a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.   He signs right now....he collects  14 mill...THIS year.

So, instead, he sits out...and completely loses that money.....thinking "I am so good and will be in such demand that I am going to get a contract that will more than make up that 14 million. 

Only problem:  NO RB in history has ever been given a contract that could make up that 14 mill.....AND...I think it possible that he has been exposed as merely a system RB.....given that his replacement in Pisstown is doing just as well or better than him.   Every team in the NFL may think:  "If Pittsburg can get the same production out of a 2d or 3rd round rookie QB as they got out of him.....we should be able to do the same.....so why vastly overpay for something we can get much less expensively."

Now, maybe there is that ONE team out there that thinks he is the second coming.....but I am skeptical.

Which teams do all y'all think would be bidders for this guys services....at the kind of money he would want? 

Packers?  Seahawks?  Broncos? Ravens?  Anyone? Anyone  Beuhler?  Beuhler?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well.....a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.   He signs right now....he collects  14 mill...THIS year.

So, instead, he sits out...and completely loses that money.....thinking "I am so good and will be in such demand that I am going to get a contract that will more than make up that 14 million. 

Only problem:  NO RB in history has ever been given a contract that could make up that 14 mill.....AND...I think it possible that he has been exposed as merely a system RB.....given that his replacement in Pisstown is doing just as well or better than him.   Every team in the NFL may think:  "If Pittsburg can get the same production out of a 2d or 3rd round rookie QB as they got out of him.....we should be able to do the same.....so why vastly overpay for something we can get much less expensively."

Now, maybe there is that ONE team out there that thinks he is the second coming.....but I am skeptical.

Which teams do all y'all think would be bidders for this guys services....at the kind of money he would want? 

Packers?  Seahawks?  Broncos? Ravens?  Anyone? Anyone  Beuhler?  Beuhler?

Here's another problem Gip. Looking at Spotrac, only the Colts, 49ers, and Jets currently have both the cap room for what Bell thinks he's worth, and the need for a top RB.

If this gambit blows up in his face, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Here's another problem Gip. Looking at Spotrac, only the Colts, 49ers, and Jets currently have both the cap room for what Bell thinks he's worth, and the need for a top RB.

If this gambit blows up in his face, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Of those, the one that I think could be the biggest player would be the Colts.  Luck is rounding back into form.....their OL is also beginning to come into shape. Maybe  a good RB is a prime need for them.

But then, who truly gives a shite where this egesta ends up.

Archived