THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

Zombo

Devastating news. The owner and founder of our board passed away last night, according to his wife, Kathy.

Stan was a hell of guy that I met back on the old AOL Grandstand in October of 1997. We traveled through the Browns internet desert together until he founded this place in 2003 to give us a home.

He always grumbled to me how he lost money on this place, but he never pulled the cord on it because I know deep down it was near and dear to his heart.

I don't know any details at this time, I just know I have lost one of my best friends in life, and his wife and family are devastated, he had five kids, the youngest is a Senior in High School.

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

1967-2018

Godspeed, Skippy

• Sad 12
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Devastating news. The owner and founder of our board passed away last night, according to his wife, Kathy.

Stan was a hell of guy that I met back on the old AOL Grandstand in October of 1997. We traveled through the Browns internet desert together until he founded this place in 2003 to give us a home.

He always grumbled to me how he lost money on the this place, but he never pulled the cord on it because I know deep down it was near and dear to his heart.

I don't know any details at this time, I just know I have lost one of my best friends in life, and his wife and family are devastated, he had five kids, the youngest is a Senior in High School.

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

1967-2018

Godspeed, Skippy

What??????

My God I'm praying this is a hoax.

WSS

This is absolutely horrible news. I never knew a more dedicated advocate for Cleveland, Cleveland Sports, Cleveland Fans and no one was more fun to be around. There are people that just bring life and excitement to everything they do and that was ALWAYS Stan. I am blessed to have known him for 22 years and to have been able to call him my friend. This is a huge blow. It takes a lot for me to be speechless but I really am at this moment God Bless you man, God bless your family and thank you so much for this forum, for the tailgates, for all the sparring matches dating back to the AOL days. You good sir are irreplaceable. 😪😪😥

• Like 1

It is very sad indeed. I happened to be there on duty, our best efforts couldn't revive him. 

Kathy is strong but she may need our help. Prayers to her and their family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

OMG, you don't ever expect to hear something like it isn't really true.

I am newer here and have only conversed with Stan through PMs several times on occassion and he was so nice and thoughtful. May we all try and be as good as he was to us.

Our thoughts and prayers to his family.

• Upvote 1

I am new here, Ive been around only for a year, so I didn't know him well, but rest in peace, Stan, and thank you for all your many contributions to Browns fandom.

My prayers are with his family and friends. 

God bless you all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not the kind of news you want to wake up to....   Guy that kept this place running. Too soon gone... :( :( :( 

You want to talk about a total shock. I was just looking at my mail, and a post from Stan on FaceBook about Mentor.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

He always grumbled to me how he lost money on the this place, but he never pulled the cord on it because I know deep down it was near and dear to his heart.

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

1967-2018

Godspeed, Skippy

CRUSHING NEWS! 

There's 2 reasons the old AOL board back in 98 felt like THE place to call home were you and Stan (ATENEARS). You 2 knuckleheads never agreed on anything,which brought to life a level of oneupsmanship entertainment I had never encountered.  Hilarious from the get-go! 

Stan hated Tim Couch while you were handing out Guinness Beer to anyone joining you, me and Hoorta in Camp Couch.  Stan was one of the funniest smart assses I had ever seen.  He attacked my first Tim Couch Makes Sense post with a fine tooth comb; and I knew I was never leaving. Then came the temporarily outspoken male cheerleader from Kentucky with the screen name TOPJOCK and a creepy groinal warming for Tim Couch. Next thing I know half our board was in the penalty box with TOS Violations. Stan vowed to us he was going to start a board some day that gave us as close to anything goes as possible with freedom of speech.  And here we are - what it is....

The biggest thing I remember about Stan was no matter how much we disagreed and busted balls in here - he opened his house up to you and me (and a slew of others that lived out of town).  He brought a whole bunch of people together from as far east as England and as far west as California. It was great to meet guys like Hoorta, Ed (Roach), Furnier, KSHutchins, Gumbodog34, the legendary FatJeff and so many others. It got to the point where you, me and Stan got together almost every year for training camp visits, scrimmages (ie: Edinboro, Rochester) or weekend road trips home/away games. Unforgettable fun!  When he asked me what the game plan would be in our first tailgate down in Tampa in the preseason of 99 - I said "Tell you what - we're not leaving until Zombo's heaving."  To which he replied, "I'M THERE!"  I'm still meeting and partying with great long-time fans like Canton Mike, RifferX, Calfox, WSS, Gipper and others in recent years. 

When Stan coached kids in baseball, playing time had nothing to do with how good the kid was.  It was all about how HOT the kid's mom was.  And he taught sportsmanship the way you'd expect him to with this classic epitome of the guy: "WE DON'T SHAKE THEIR HANDS UNTIL AFTER WE'VE KICKED THEIR ASSS!" The first time he ever mentioned his WIFE - he called her "THE TOOTHLESS HAG."  When he got remarried it evolved into "HAG2." 

Our world here lost a GREAT dude!    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'll never forget him!

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Very sad news indeed. Way too young to go with a birthdate of only 50 or so years ago. It will hit his children the hardest I'm sure. May you go with God Stan. Amen.🙏

Yeah Bill- I was just thinking, we just had our 50th HS reunion this year. 1968. Stan was one year older. I'll definitely raise a glass or two of wine to him at the Tailgate before the game today....  

• Upvote 1

Of the guys I have met on this board in person, never got to meet Stan. I've conversed with him a few times - he was great in responding over a few other tragedies. God Bless to all his family and friends - this board has existed for so long because he cared.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

He always grumbled to me how he lost money on this place, but he never pulled the cord on it because I know deep down it was near and dear to his heart.

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

1967-2018

Godspeed, Skippy

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

RIP Stan "Atenears" Aten

1967-2018

Godspeed, Skippy

I'm shocked.

From the beginning (AOL) days - Stan was the foundation and was always there 

When I traveled back to Cleveland for a game - Stan was there and made sure it was always a good time .

stunned.

Bermeck (RIP, coach)

• Zombo pinned this topic

Thanks to Zombo pointing them out, I met Stan and Kathy once, and briefly, in the lobby of the Hollywood Beach hotel we stayed in for the Fins road trip a couple years ago.

Short visit with a warm couple of puzzle pieces that just fit together. Chat with them for five and you came away feeling like you'd known them forever.

Made me wish I had...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is sad news. RiP Stan.

I also never met him, but am a great admirer of what he built here. I know l lurked here for years before joining. It was almost like therapy. 

He created something that will live on and continue to be appreciated by people he never even knew. That’s worth something.

Count me anong those raising a glass to Stan and his family before kickoff.

25 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

This is sad news. RiP Stan.

I also never met him, but am a great admirer of what he built here. I know l lurked here for years before joining. It was almost like therapy. 

He created something that will live on and continue to be appreciated by people he never even knew. That’s worth something.

Count me anong those raising a glass to Stan and his family before kickoff.

Here here

maybe we can play some good defense today and give him a win 

Bermeck (go Browns ! , for Stan)

• Upvote 1

Like Zombo....I go all the way back to the AOL boards with Stan and because of him, I have close friends that I talk to every day despite living all over the world away from each other.    He's the reason why we are all friends and still make a trip to cleveland each year to this day.    Still remember the conversation he and I had way back when about starting this board and could it be something that would last and have people visit.   Who knew at that point it would turn into THE place to talk about the Browns online and that as well is thanks to him for keeping this place going all these years.

Hard to believe it's real.

• Upvote 4