THE BROWNS BOARD

Dyin' for Zion

The Gipper

The Cavaliers now have the worst record in the NBA.....well...alrighty then.   This tactic has worked for them before.  They ended up with  4 #1 overall picks since  2000:   LeBron, Kyrie,  Andrew Wiggins, and somebody Bennet (was it Anthony?   He played as well as singer Tony Bennett).

But now, all the hype is that the next best thing since LeBron may be coming up in next year's draft.  This guy Zion Williamson, freshman from Duke...who could be the next best thing since LeBron:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 9:18 AM, The Gipper said:

LeBron is in semi-retirement.    Dumping JR and now Korver shows that the Cavs are going for the #1 pick.

There is nothing else to play for. They should try for the 1st pick. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

And getting the young guys experience.....Colin Sexton et al

That too.  I wonder who they will get to coach this team next year? 

Gilbert isn’t the greatest owner to work for as a head coach 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you draft zion IF you can put an elite PG behind him, who can also score, and a legit center that can take the heavy lifting off him. If you draft him only to make him do ALL the paint work...it isn't going to work. I would wait to see where the Cavs will pick, and if they get the 1...trade Kevin for those pieces you can put around zion. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, Clevfan4life said:

I don't watch much NCCA basketball, but is zion much of a shooter? Seems to me he's a different kind of player than LeBron

Zion’s working on his jumper, it has potential for sure, but isn’t polished. He’s like Lebron from a physical aspect. But a more tankier left handed version of LBJ. Beast in the paint.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Clevfan4life said:

you draft zion IF you can put an elite PG behind him, who can also score, and a legit center that can take the heavy lifting off him. 

Collin Sexton is starting to look like the PG of the future. He’s only 20 and is having a solid rookie campaign. The other night I was able to watch them play the Heat(shot 11-17 with 27 points 6 assists). His floater was beautiful. He hit about 5 of them in a row over shot blockers. He was flashing some range, knocking down some 3s as well. 

Cam Reddish is really growing on me, a 6’8” small forward who can shoot and get to the basket and score...

• 2 months later...

It is hilarious watching the talking heads on TV who are slobbering all over themselves thinking that Zion would be going to the Knicks or Lakers, or ever the Hawks......and not one mention being made of the fact that the Cavs are one of 3 teams that have the best chance to get the #1 pick for the rights to draft Zion.

I would love it to happen so that these shitheads would have to eat their turds.

Of course, the question may be:  what underhanded shenanigans do you think the NBA could pull to insure that one of the "big market" teams gets that first pick.

Pelicans #1, Memphis #2,  Knicks #3,  Lakers #4, Cavs #5.

When I saw that both the Knicks and the Lakers were going to be in the Top 4.....I really thought that the conspiracy could have been in.

I am just glad that the "small markets"  New Orleans and Memphis got the Top 2 if the Cavs could not have gotten one of them. And at #5...they can still get a damned good player.  Maybe that guy from Virginia.  All he did was lead his team to a national Championship, which not even Zion could do.

And I believe that it could happen that Anthony Davis could now stay in N.O.  I think he would be stupid not to want to......unless, like LeBron, he has non-basketball reasons to want to go to LA.  (But AD is a butt ugly dude with no personality...just game.  He would have no business wanting the "Hollywood" lifestyle.

RK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POS POS RK HT WT    
1 Zion Williamson Duke Fr PF 1 6-7 285    
2 Ja Morant Murray St. Soph PG 1 6-3 175    
3 RJ Barrett Duke Fr SF 1 6-7 202    
4 Jaxson Hayes Texas Fr PF 2 6-11 220    
5 Darius Garland Vanderbilt Fr PG 2 6-2 175    
6 Coby White N. Carolina Fr PG 3 6-5 185    
7 Cam Reddish Duke Fr SF 2 6-8 218    
8 Jarrett Culver Texas Tech Soph SG 1 6-6 195    
9 De'Andre Hunter Virginia Soph SF 3 6-7 225    
10 Sekou Doumbouya France - SF 4 6-9 209    
11 PJ Washington Kentucky Soph PF 3 6-8 228    
12 Brandon Clarke Gonzaga Jr PF 4 6-8 215  

So, supposedly Sexton is  PG...though I am not always sure he acts like one.    Who would be the pick out of this Top Dozen.

Here is there current roster...or at least the one from this past season. (some are out...some will be out):

Here is the Cavaliers’ current roster, with position, age, height/weight and college in parentheses.

Deng Adel, SF, age 22, 6-7/200 (Louisville)

Jaron Blossomgame, SF, age 25, 6-8/220 (Clemson)

Marquese Chriss, PF, age 21, 6-10/240 (Washington)

Jordan Clarkson, PG, age 26, 6-5/194 (Missouri)

Matthew Dellavedova, PG, age 28, 6-4/200 (Saint Mary's)

Channing Frye, PF, age 35, 7-0/255 (Arizona)  (I believe he has retired, no?)

John Henson, F, age 28, 6-11/219 (North Carolina)

Brandon Knight, PG, age 27, 6-3/195 (Kentucky)

Kevin Love, PF, age 30, 6-10/251 (UCLA)

Larry Nance Jr., PF, age 26, 6-9/230 (Wyoming)

David Nwaba, SG, age 26, 6-4/219 (Cal Poly)

Cedi Osman, SF, age 24, 6-8/215 (None)

Collin Sexton, PG, age 20, 6-2/190 (Alabama)

J.R. Smith, SG, age 33, 6-6/225 (None) did not play at all last year...unlikely to this year either

Nik Stauskas, SG, age 25, 6-6/205 (Michigan)

Tristan Thompson, C, age 28, 6-10/238 (Texas)

Ante Zizic, C, age 22, 6-11/254 (None)

To me...a Small Forward could be in order.  Barrett likely gone, so Reddish or Hunter?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great draft! 3 first round picks, just like the Browns did it ;)

Garland(who most of us probably never heard of due to injury last year) can shooooooot

Windler(a lefty shooter who was drawing Korver compariosons).

and Kevin Porter Jr. is being labeled a steal for the Cavs,a scorer who fell due to immaturity.