Sign in to follow this  
Westside Steve

I found this offencive

This is pretty disappointing. One of the local schools have put together a program for Monday morning the 12th of November called Heroes day. It's like a breakfast or a presentation or something that the kids are encouraged to bring someone who has made an impact on their lives. They were told "it could be anyone, a piano teacher, coach, etc etc." I actually have no problem with something like this except for the following:

For those who weren't aware November 11th falls on a Sunday hence the November 12th date and November 11th as we should know is Veterans Day. The disgustingly politically correct Administration of the school decided it was a bridge too far to actually honor members of the military especially those who had served in hazardous situations. The kid who broke the news to his grandmother, who is very upset about this, has a father who served at gitmo and a grandfather who won at least six bronze stars in World War II.

Just for the record this is the same school that had there holiday pageant with absolutely no mention of Christmas rather centered on, get this, Disney World.

WSS

If they want to have a day to honor others that is fine but why take away the special day set aside for veterans? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If they want to have a day to honor others that is fine but why take away the special day set aside for veterans? 

Totally agree. I have accepted an invitation to attend a Veteran's Day Ceremony at our grandchildren's middle school tomorrow even though I know I find those things very difficult personally. However it is the 100th anniversary of the "11 hour, 11th day of the 11th month" in 1918. I honor my WW I grandfather for his service  at the St.-Mihiel Salient and the Meuse-Argonne. It changed him forever.

• Upvote 2

I will be going to two schools as our friend's kids' invitation, actually, my Wife will go with me to the first one. It's such an honor, and the program is beautiful, so many veterans from different decades, etc.. - the school is very patriotic. Sad day for the school that Steve mentions.

• Upvote 2

My father was a WW2 vet who was in the Navy. I was in the Navy in the 70's. We were invited to an elementary school by a family member a few years ago on Veteran's day and the school had a very nice program to honor veterans. Now that my dad has passed away those times we went to the school together mean even more to me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

My father was a WW2 vet who was in the Navy. I was in the Navy in the 70's. We were invited to an elementary school by a family member a few years ago on Veteran's day and the school had a very nice program to honor veterans. Now that my dad has passed away those times we went to the school together mean even more to me.

My Dad was in the Navy - he was a crew of one on a landing craft - got to the Philippines a week before the war ended. I wanted to be in the Navy like him, but my reconstructed knee kept me out of the service permanently unless there was a national emergency. Well, three years after that, I enlisted, and they weren't going to let me in, but for me going into the Air Force, I was able to talk my way in.

The times my Dad and I, and my Wife, went to free dinners at Texas Roadhouse, with all the other veterans - I won't ever forget those times.  Wainting in line...a couple of old Navy guys talking with my Dad about back in the day, in the Philippines, is just a great memory.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

This is pretty disappointing. One of the local schools have put together a program for Monday morning the 12th of November called Heroes day. It's like a breakfast or a presentation or something that the kids are encouraged to bring someone who has made an impact on their lives. They were told "it could be anyone, a piano teacher, coach, etc etc." I actually have no problem with something like this except for the following:

For those who weren't aware November 11th falls on a Sunday hence the November 12th date and November 11th as we should know is Veterans Day. The disgustingly politically correct Administration of the school decided it was a bridge too far to actually honor members of the military especially those who had served in hazardous situations. The kid who broke the news to his grandmother, who is very upset about this, has a father who served at gitmo and a grandfather who won at least six bronze stars in World War II.

Just for the record this is the same school that had there holiday pageant with absolutely no mention of Christmas rather centered on, get this, Disney World.

WSS

This is just silly on the part of the school. Have Heroes Day any other day. Hell, have one every week if you want. But give the vets their due on their day. They can still get their political brownie points another day.

• Upvote 2