THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams have put Dorsey in charge of coaching search

Mark O

25 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Dark horse candidate ... Freddie Kitchens

Say we start scoring 30 points a game down the stretch and Baker says "I love this guy"

Nothing would make me happier. Good coaches come from somewhere, right? I mean, they all started off as QB coaches and stuff before getting their break, perhaps this is Kitchens' turn? Do I expect it to happen? Of course not, that's why he's the dark horse candidate. But we looked pretty decent last week of offense, and if that trend continues, it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Dorsey is calling the shot, but like you said, Baker will have SOME influence. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

So with Dorsey in charge I'd look at the Chiefs and Packers coaching trees to see if there is a young guy that may have impressed him.

Chiefs ... and I know this has been mentioned a lot ... Eric "Sleeping with Bienienmy" will probably get an interview.

Packers ... They have "has been" coordinators Joe Philbin and Mike Pettine who are not tied to Dorsey ... But Mike McCarthy is.

So you can interview Bienienmy (Rooney Rule) and hire McCarthy and, Boom, your done ... if he's your man.

Or you can scour the College hotshots (Lincoln Riley etc ) and NFL hotshots (Shane Waldron etc.) and make it a big production.

Thing is .. we fired first ... so we should go out and get our pick of the litter first and not wait until six other teams are looking ... but I know that makes it tricky with the NFL guys in the playoffs.

Dark horse candidate ... Freddie Kitchens

Say we start scoring 30 points a game down the stretch and Baker says "I love this guy"

Match him up with a stud DC (I think Williams' blitzing schemes are on their last NFL legs) and roll ...

Zombo

Munchak.

Steelers success last night was because their OL is so well oiled.  Which I attribute to their coaching.  The whole of that OL is greater than the sum of its parts.

I see him as a bit Belichickian.....had a brief tenure as HC elsewhere with about a .500 record......(Tits)...then spends 5 years as an assistant....then gets another chance.

Why not?    The worst that can happen is that he turns out to be another one of the line of HCs we have had......and that we vastly weaken the Steelers.  The Best is that he combines with an outstanding QB to be a perennial challenger.

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Munchak.

Steelers success last night was because their OL is so well oiled.  Which I attribute to their coaching.  The whole of that OL is greater than the sum of its parts.

I see him as a bit Belichickian.....had a brief tenure as HC elsewhere with about a .500 record......(Tits)...then spends 5 years as an assistant....then gets another chance.

Why not?    The worst that can happen is that he turns out to be another one of the line of HCs we have had......and that we vastly weaken the Steelers.  The Best is that he combines with an outstanding QB to be a perennial challenger.

Well, he withdrew his name from consideration with the Cardinals last year and his stay with the Titans was unremarkable, but I admired him for taking the axe rather than firing his staff there. I get the feeling he is happy where he is doing what he does ... but you never know.

Zombo

19 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Well, he withdrew his name from consideration with the Cardinals last year and his stay with the Titans was unremarkable, but I admired him for taking the axe rather than firing his staff there. I get the feeling he is happy where he is doing what he does ... but you never know.

Zombo

Don't think I was aware that he was being considered for the AZ job.

I still like John Defillppo.    Young, but not too young.  A creative offensive mind.  Been around a little bit.  But that also includes, been around HERE...and was swept out along with everyone else after a year being our OC.  He's aware of the madness.  But perhaps knowing that Dorsey is the GM he might interview if asked.  

On 11/8/2018 at 4:23 AM, Ghoolie said:

More bullcrap dude. Landry is a dullard. He adds nothing. Gordon didn't run out of anything dude. He's fukcking playing for one of the best teams in the NFL. CLEVELAND ran out of ideas and had no expertise to coach and support Gordon. 

IG Gordon left Cleveland and couldn't find a job? THEN YEAH, Gordon ran out of chances. But that isn't what happened. Gordon went to the top of the pile. Cleveland is the bottom of the pile

What ever happened to your  "DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASSS ON THE WAY OUT?"

Hindsight 20/20 says if you give him the Tom Brady you said was toast 3 years ago along with the guy you called Parcels' favorite coffee fetcher (Belichick) - they can take the 3-5 plays Josh is willing to sweat on and get the same productivity they used to get from hard-working, undrafted guys like Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola.  And while they're at it, let's make sure we pretend NE hasn't already disciplined him for missing a team meeting and being tardy for something else. That happened after he milked a soft tissue hammy injury for the 1st 5-6 weeks of DNP-Limited. The trend hasn't lied to us yet about this guy.  He's fooled a lot people that said "WE BELIEVE IN YOU" especially the Cleveland Browns.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If Mike McCarthy or John Harbaugh get canned, I'd go after either in a heartbeat.

Somebody said that they did not want retreads....expecially one who has already  won a Super Bowl. 

I would be of the opinion that if/when either of those teams....Packers/Ravens were to can those guys, that both teams would be in store for a fairly steep decline.   Ravens more than Packers, as at least the Packers would have Rodgers for several more years.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If Mike McCarthy or John Harbaugh get canned, I'd go after either in a heartbeat.

....but they wouldn't be good enough for their current teams to keep.

47 minutes ago, Orion said:

....but they wouldn't be good enough for their current teams to keep.

Andy Reid seems to be doing well in Kansas City, after he was pushed out of Philadelphia. 

Everyone is going to want the Browns to get the next Sean McVay… well that's easy said than done. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Dutch Oven said:

John is the latest name I heard this week. Of the two he's the "retread" I'd prefer.

10 minutes ago, Flugel said:

There's not a tree full of unemployed Sean McVays that only have eyes for Cleveland?  

Funny thing is, when the Rams hired McVay there were many people who thought they lost their mind when they hired a barely 30 old guy as head coach. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

FWIW, Dorsey said today at press conference that Gregg William's WILL get an interview for the full time position.

Z

Here's the full conference- as usual, Dorsey is keeping it close to the vest.  No regrets about trading Gordon, either.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-gm-john-dorsey-press-conference-11-14

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

FWIW, Dorsey said today at press conference that Gregg William's WILL get an interview for the full time position.

Bigger (and even better) news was NO SEARCH FIRM!

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bigger (and even better) news was NO SEARCH FIRM!

Yup.  He said he's got three lists of coaches.  1)  Ready for now.   2)  Ready maybe 3 years down the road.  3)  Ready in perhaps 5 years.

John Dorsey brings 26 years of respected NFL experience as well as many contacts. With him in charge it makes the HC position in Cleveland very attractive to candidates. He is the search firm in charge this time. I like the guy and the way he conducts himself. Will it work this time?

Things do seem to be falling in place this time. Maybe, just maybe

On 11/11/2018 at 11:14 AM, Flugel said:

There's not a tree full of unemployed Sean McVays that only have eyes for Cleveland?  

Then who are these guys seen hanging around Berea lately? Larry, Moe and Curly? 😜

🙈🙉🙊

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

John Dorsey brings 26 years of respected NFL experience as well as many contacts. With him in charge it makes the HC position in Cleveland very attractive to candidates. He is the search firm in charge this time. I like the guy and the way he conducts himself. Will it work this time?

Let's hope.Like a big complicated jig-saw puzzle.

The pieces.....a decent FO....coach.....QB.....RB.....some defence.....  Now who's got the WR.....OL.....and a few specifc other ones.

Isn't that what any sucessful big business or sports team is all about? Vision, leadership, plan and the people on the ground to carry it out.......uh-oh all of that Management 101 stuff coming out.  :huh:

On 11/16/2018 at 5:36 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

There's no doubt that the job is more appealing this go'round...

Archived