THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams have put Dorsey in charge of coaching search

Mark O

This is a step in the right direction for the Haslams.   Which makes it so hard to believe....that they would do anything 'right'.  But I have faith that Jimmuh will find a way to muck it up.

The jury is  nowhere near in on Dorsey.

His draft picks are somewhat good but also questionable. The cluster funk with Hue and Haley is on his report card. Us not having any offensive playmakers especially WRs is also on his report card. Former players released and doing well elsewhere does not bode well for him either.

Giving him full rein on the coaching staff was a great move. There are too many variables to judge Dorsey in any meaningful way. However, giving SOMEONE .....FINALLY.....total responsibility is the first step to righting this ridiculousy reotarded organization. Dorsey sinks or swins now with nothing to hide behind.

Is he good drafting? Sure, but that does not mean he is capable of successfully running an NFL team. At least now we will find out.

So far? He is the mastermind of a two-win extravaganza. Sorry, but I am not impressed so far.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

A)The cluster funk with Hue and Haley is on his report card. B)Us not having any offensive playmakers especially WRs is also on his report card. C)Former players released and doing well elsewhere does not bode well for him either.

A)Who in dee Cluster funk put Hue on Dorsey's report card? Haley? Not sure that falls on JD either.ya might want to check out Jimmy's last presser..B)Landry is a playmaker.He needs a #1 WR threat to get peeps off him.Gordon played his way out of here by not playing here. C) So WHO?

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

A)Who in dee Cluster funk put Hue on Dorsey's report card? Haley? Not sure that falls on JD either.ya might want to check out Jimmy's last presser..B)Landry is a playmaker.He needs a #1 WR threat to get peeps off him.Gordon played his way out of here by not playing here. C) So WHO?

Haley.................. who hired him? Me?  Landry is not a play maker. He is a second tier player, who, as you agreed with me, really isn't schidt unless he has a playmaker making life easy for him. C  - Dude, 8 back up QBs can from Cleveland, Erving, Gordon, Hyde, a bunch more.

Dorsey drafted a QB #1 overall.  Not the RB...that has brought the Giants only 1 win.  He AT LEAST knows what butters an NFL team's bread.

He seems, so far, to be the CLOSEST thing to someone who knows which end is up...that WE'VE had...in a loong time.

It looks like he was FINALLY able to convince Haslam that Hue was NOT the coach to build a team around...and that he had to go (and Haley).  That right there deserves a standing ovation.

Will Dorsey make some mistakes?  Will he draft a bad player or two?  I think the answer would be yes, if he's human that is.  But I'm certainly willing to go for a ride with him and find out how human he isn't.

11 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Haley.................. who hired him? Me?  Landry is not a play maker. He is a second tier player, who, as you agreed with me, really isn't schidt unless he has a playmaker making life easy for him. C  - Dude, 8 back up QBs can from Cleveland, Erving, Gordon, Hyde, a bunch more.

Regarding Haley- if you want to believe Hue, he was the guy who signed off on him. Old John Boy gave Hue enough rope to hang himself with. Mission accomplished. 

Landry is the unquestioned best possession receiver in the NFL. We're paying him as such. 

1) Erving. Tour pointed out Pro Football Focus has him graded the #68 offensive tackle. Meaning there's backups that grade out higher than the Turnstile. 

2) Gordon ran out of strikes with the Browns. Bigger pain in the azz than his talent. 

3) Hyde- I pointed out his most recent game playing for the Jaguars, he had six carries for 11 yards, whoop-te-do. 

4) Regarding the backup QBs- none of that was Dorsey's doing. He actually managed to get a player swap out of Green Bay shipping them the not ready for prime time Deshone Kizer. And if you want to play the I told you so game, I said before the draft Kizer positively stunk at Notre Dame, and I wanted nothing to do with him. 

Look, the Browns were such a hot mess when Dorsey came in relieving the virtually clueless Sashi- there was no way in hell to fix all the mistakes made by the previous front office in one year\one draft. I pointed out elsewhere- it took the Lions three seasons to go from 0-16 to the playoffs. Orion already said it, but JD used his hypnotic powers on Haslam to convince him sending Hueless out of town was best for the team- Jimmy wanted to keep him and can Haley. 

Will John make mistakes? Sure, no GM is perfect and bats 1.000 every time. I'll even clue you in, some guys have been bitching that we shouldn't have cut Carl Nassib, who's starting for another team. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding Haley- if you want to believe Hue, he was the guy who signed off on him. Old John Boy gave Hue enough rope to hang himself with. Mission accomplished. 

Landry is the unquestioned best possession receiver in the NFL. We're paying him as such. 

1) Erving. Tour pointed out Pro Football Focus has him graded the #68 offensive tackle. Meaning there's backups that grade out higher than the Turnstile. 

2) Gordon ran out of strikes with the Browns. Bigger pain in the azz than his talent. 

3) Hyde- I pointed out his most recent game playing for the Jaguars, he had six carries for 11 yards, whoop-te-do. 

4) Regarding the backup QBs- none of that was Dorsey's doing. He actually managed to get a player swap out of Green Bay shipping them the not ready for prime time Deshone Kizer. And if you want to play the I told you so game, I said before the draft Kizer positively stunk at Notre Dame, and I wanted nothing to do with him. 

Look, the Browns were such a hot mess when Dorsey came in relieving the virtually clueless Sashi- there was no way in hell to fix all the mistakes made by the previous front office in one year\one draft. I pointed out elsewhere- it took the Lions three seasons to go from 0-16 to the playoffs. Orion already said it, but JD used his hypnotic powers on Haslam to convince him sending Hueless out of town was best for the team- Jimmy wanted to keep him and can Haley. 

Will John make mistakes? Sure, no GM is perfect and bats 1.000 every time. I'll even clue you in, some guys have been bitching that we shouldn't have cut Carl Nassib, who's starting for another team. 

More bullcrap dude. Landry is a dullard. He adds nothing. Gordon didn't run out of anything dude. He's fukcking playing for one of the best teams in the NFL. CLEVELAND ran out of ideas and had no expertise to coach and support Gordon. 

IG Gordon left Cleveland and couldn't find a job? THEN YEAH, Gordon ran out of chances. But that isn't what happened. Gordon went to the top of the pile. Cleveland is the bottom of the pile

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Gordon didn't run out of anything dude. He's fukcking playing for one of the best teams in the NFL. CLEVELAND ran out of ideas and had no expertise to coach and support Gordon

So you think that the Patriots are holding his hand when he goes to the mens room. - Dude, you're lost in a fog of Browns hatred.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

This is a step in the right direction for the Haslams.   Which makes it so hard to believe....that they would do anything 'right'.  But I have faith that Jimmuh will find a way to muck it up.

This IS ANOTHER step in the right direction. You should have stopped there. Why must you always throw your damned negativity in? Do you think it's CUTE? Make you a man? I'm real tired of the Haslam bashing.

There was no positive or worthwhile need for the rest of your comments. Fans(?) like you sicken me.

Mike

9 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

There was no positive or worthwhile need for the rest of your comments. Fans(?) like you sicken me.

Well then get your TUMS ready...

Dorsey in charge of the search is an important step in the right direction. As the article stated, " The fact that Dorsey is conducting the search makes the job more attractive to some candidates leery of a job in which the last five head coaches have lasted 2 1/2 years or less..."

That said... there are two more steps that are as or more important than the above:

• who makes the final hiring decision, and
  • to whom the new HC reports.

Both are areas where Haslam has been involved far more deeply than he has been in past searches which were farmed out to search firms. Jimmah has basically given up nothing to this point.

While I hope he relinquishes control of the other facets of the process, I have no basis for optimism excepting that Dorsey might be willing to walk if Jimmah doesn't step back.

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

More bullcrap dude. Landry is a dullard. He adds nothing. Gordon didn't run out of anything dude. He's fukcking playing for one of the best teams in the NFL. CLEVELAND ran out of ideas and had no expertise to coach and support Gordon. 

IG Gordon left Cleveland and couldn't find a job? THEN YEAH, Gordon ran out of chances. But that isn't what happened. Gordon went to the top of the pile. Cleveland is the bottom of the pile

Gordon is JAG.    Did he go to a good team?  Certainly.  Is he lucky to do so? Absolutely. As I have said continually.....Tom Brady can make any marginally talented player look good....and that is what Gordon is at this point.  The Patriots have won 5 Super Bowls without Gordon....Tom Brady does not need Gordon to win a Super Bowl.

Did the Browns have the coaching expertise to coach Gordon.....No, not with Hue Jackson.  But that applied to all 53+ players on this team, not just Gordon.  As for the "support" the Browns gave him?  I don't think he could have been with any other team and gotten as much support as the Browns gave him.

7 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

More Ghoolie garbage all he has left to try and get replies. Living in his own trolling world. 

11 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

This IS ANOTHER step in the right direction. You should have stopped there. Why must you always throw your damned negativity in? Do you think it's CUTE? Make you a man? I'm real tired of the Haslam bashing.

Mike

I've lost all respect for you.  You keep your rose colored glasses on.  It won't change that Haslam is a dope....and a crook.  Put me on your ignore list because I call 'em as I see 'em....and that might get your panties in a knot.

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

It won't change that Haslam is a dope....and a crook.

He might be both of those things or he might not but it's not going to change that he's going to be the owner of the team for as long as he wants to own it.   Can't fire the owner so again unless one of you as about a billion dollars laying around to pony up to buy the team, you have to get used to the Haslam family owning the Browns.

the verdict is still out on dorsey. I give him credit for baker, and right now thats it. No matter how good chubb looks, trading hyde for a 5th is just an eye opening boner. End or near the end of the season, sure. Also nassib, meder, shelton, brantley......tgats all on dorsey. The guys he brought in afterwards are hardly seeing any playing time....and it shows in how worn down our defense is

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

the verdict is still out on dorsey. I give him credit for baker, and right now thats it. No matter how good chubb looks, trading hyde for a 5th is just an eye opening boner. End or near the end of the season, sure. Also nassib, meder, shelton, brantley......tgats all on dorsey. The guys he brought in afterwards are hardly seeing any playing time....and it shows in how worn down our defense is

You can't trade at the end of the season genius.   The trade deadline was the end of October.  Chubb is putting up numbers just as good if not better than Hyde.  Let it go.

Not going to give Dorsey credit for picking Ward at #4?   

How about Dorsey picks the coach.  And Jimmy and Dee go away

Those 2 have given us the worst head coach in NFL history 

22 minutes ago, Mark O said:

You can't trade at the end of the season genius.   The trade deadline was the end of October.  Chubb is putting up numbers just as good if not better than Hyde.  Let it go.

Not going to give Dorsey credit for picking Ward at #4?   

yeah i forgot about ward. But still a bad job on hyde. Had we used that 5th at the trade deadline than maybe. But we blew up the best rb room in the nfl cause the gm wanted to goad "HIS" OC into playing chubb more. Thats the def of dysfunction whether u want to adnit or not.

And in case u didnt notice, Duke was hobbling just a little bit the last 2 weeks. It may or may not ge serious but it could be something that he plays on decently well and then wham something blows. Its exactly the scenario that people opposed to the hyde trade warned about. We'll see how it turns out but damn....as a gm u dont mess with that RB room just cause u want a guy showcased more that u prob had a big hand in picking. That kind of ego remi ds me of holmgren and thats not a good thing at all

20 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Look, I listened to you booger cooks laugh when Belichik signed Randy Moss, then Corey Dillon. Of course Bill converted them into well behaved Super Bowl contribitng players.

Now he is doing it with Gordon and it is going to cause the Browns national ridicule

Hand Holding? No dude, the BROWNS did the hand holding. Belichik kicked the kid in the butt and is making a team player out of him.

Sorry, that reflects on the Browns as an idiot organizationthat cannot harcest talent 

You’re as dumb as a box of rocks if you think that two or three weeks of Gordon keeping his nose clean means he’s going to do that forever

13 hours ago, Orion said:

I've lost all respect for you.  You keep your rose colored glasses on.  It won't change that Haslam is a dope....and a crook.  Put me on your ignore list because I call 'em as I see 'em....and that might get your panties in a knot.

Endless bitching about Haslams being the owner is wasting time, and annoying after how many bitchings ? Let the ghoolish zombie   continue, but you don't have to add it. Rose colored glasses don't give Mayfield the leading stats over all other rookie qb's. I'd say Ward makes me forget who the DE was that some folks wanted instead.

And read on - things are really looking up - it's Dorsey and the Haslams know he knows how to build.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/11/browns-running-back-combo-offers-glimpse-of-what-could-be.html

11 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

yeah i forgot about ward. But still a bad job on hyde. Had we used that 5th at the trade deadline than maybe. But we blew up the best rb room in the nfl cause the gm wanted to goad "HIS" OC into playing chubb more. Thats the def of dysfunction whether u want to adnit or not.

And in case u didnt notice, Duke was hobbling just a little bit the last 2 weeks. 

Hyde was a good/tough runner but I would much rather have Chubb back there. Seeing Chubb live, he is so damn fast. Sneaky fast, as if he is gliding across the grass. Combine speed with that power? He is built for the NFL. 

Duke was hurt against Pittsburgh, so next man up. (Hilliard)

I am completely sold on Chubb, and I think Dorsey hit a home run with his selection of #24.

This team feels one offseason away from being relevant.

So with Dorsey in charge I'd look at the Chiefs and Packers coaching trees to see if there is a young guy that may have impressed him.

Chiefs ... and I know this has been mentioned a lot ... Eric "Sleeping with Bienienmy" will probably get an interview.

Packers ... They have "has been" coordinators Joe Philbin and Mike Pettine who are not tied to Dorsey ... But Mike McCarthy is.

So you can interview Bienienmy (Rooney Rule) and hire McCarthy and, Boom, your done ... if he's your man.

Or you can scour the College hotshots (Lincoln Riley etc ) and NFL hotshots (Shane Waldron etc.) and make it a big production.

Thing is .. we fired first ... so we should go out and get our pick of the litter first and not wait until six other teams are looking ... but I know that makes it tricky with the NFL guys in the playoffs.

Dark horse candidate ... Freddie Kitchens

Say we start scoring 30 points a game down the stretch and Baker says "I love this guy"

Match him up with a stud DC (I think Williams' blitzing schemes are on their last NFL legs) and roll ...

Zombo

Gordon went to basically the perfect team with the perfect qb. The only reason Gordon isn't doing more is because the Patriots spread it around. Gordon caught only 5 of the 10 targets last week, which isn't a great percentage, but he made them count. I'm not sure if how injured Gronk currently is, but if he comes back healthy, I don't wanna see what the Pats do to people. IMO, fans saying Josh Gordon isn't good anymore and he's just benefitting from playing with the Pats, are crazy. He's still very good, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him have some monster games this year. That being said, it also wouldn't surprise me to see him have games with minimal stats. The Patriots are funny that way. Seems like it's a different guy each week that goes off. 

To the original post topic, I don't see how letting Dorsey have control over the coaching decision is a bad thing. On one hand, I acknowledge the relevance of the success in Kansas city. On the other hand, Dorsey was also the lifetime winner of the football free agency award, in that a super reliable, careful, mobile, and accurate passer was available in Alex Smith, AND a highly qualified coach was on board in Andy Reid. Sure, Dorsey made many other moves, but those two set the stage for their immediate success. I could be wrong, but I don't see an Andy Reid caliber coach waiting in the wings. Dorsey got to start off with his QB and a revered head coach. Pretty fortunate, don't you think? 

I believe Dorsey has the ability to see beyond the stats and the ability of players and coaches. Dorsey has a feel for the intangibles, and this is one of the reasons he drafted Baker Mayfield. So that when stuff hits the fan, like it WILL in Cleveland, he doesn't doubt his abilities or shrivel up into a shadow of his former self. Things we've seen before. Perhaps it's too early to tell, but it appears that we nailed our two first round picks. How many times have we had two picks, and how many times have they not panned out? 

I have hope for the first time in a long time, and I guess we'll see if it's justified. Let's pick up a win this week, feels like it's time. 

Distant possibility, but who knows?...

Bruce Ariens as HC with Kitchens remaining as OC/Asst HC to be groomed to replace Ariens in a couple years. I am fearful of Ariens' age & health, but with Dorsey having elevated Kitchens to OC & Kitchens having worked with Ariens for 5 years, that may work. Would also aid continuity.

Again, who knows what will happen. The above is just another of many thoughts.

Mike

Archived