THE BROWNS BOARD

What is going on with the OL

The Gipper

I was checking out the Browns depth chart, and noted a particularly disturbing anomaly....they are exceeding thin on the OL.

They have listed only 3 OTs:   Hubbard, Robinson (who has taken over starting) and Des Harrison

They have NO backup Center behind Tretter    and 2 backup OGs:  Corbett and Watford (behing Bitonio and Zeitler).   I suppose that one of the listed backup OGs would serve as backup OC.  Would they also serve as a possible backup OT?

Is this usual to have 5 starters and only 3 backups on an OL?  Our WRs go fully 3 deep.  We are 5 deep at TE. Maybe some of these TEs would have to serve as backups to the OL.

Been that way all year, yes three backup is pretty normal.

We cut backup Center Reiter (who started for the Chiefs last week) and went with three more versatile guys, Robinson has been backing up both tackles until he got the call, Watford is backing up the guards, and Corbett is being trained for C/G/T if he is needed to step in.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Been that way all year, yes three backup is pretty normal.

We cut backup Center Reiter (who started for the Chiefs last week) and went with three more versatile guys, Robinson has been backing up both tackles until he got the call, Watford is backing up the guards, and Corbett is being trained for C/G/T if he is needed to step in.

Zombo

Still seems thin

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Most teams carry 8-9 olineman on their roster.

I am just saying that having -0- backups at 2 positions seem thin......When alternatively we go 5 deep at other spots.   

I am thinking about not only on offense, but on special teams.    I understand that the long snapper is really never usually able to be a regular OL backup..but besides the LS, don't these starting OL players also have to play on every special teams play? 

Or do they do something "special" on special teams on the OL?   Do they put  like the 3rd/4th/5th string TEs on special teams OLs or what?

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I am just saying that having -0- backups at 2 positions seem thin......When alternatively we go 5 deep at other spots.   

I am thinking about not only on offense, but on special teams.    I understand that the long snapper is really never usually able to be a regular OL backup..but besides the LS, don't these starting OL players also have to play on every special teams play? 

Or do they do something "special" on special teams on the OL?   Do they put  like the 3rd/4th/5th string TEs on special teams OLs or what?

Typically two guards play along with long snapper and yes a lot of the backup tight ends/linebackers play on punt formation on the spots outside of guard so they have better speed in coverage of the punt.

Archived