THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns Path to the Playoffs

Zombo

I know Gipper does the who's ins and who's outs each week, but just in case one other person out there is as big of an unreasonable optimist as me as I present: The Browns path to the Playoffs 2018:

image.png

So we are currently the 14 Seed and we need to get up to #six ... how do we pass eight teams with a rookie laden team, an interim coach and a rough schedule?

Well, you miraculously win the rest of the games. The rest is easy in this year's AFC.

We will assume the Top 5 are in: New England, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Houston win their divisions and San Diego is the first wild card. Or flip SD and KC, doesn't matter for this exercise.

So, the Browns finish 9-6-1, so that means we beat Atlanta, Houston, Cincinnati twice, Carolina, Denver and Baltimore

Four of those wins, Cincyx2, Denver and Baltimore come against teams we need to pass, so if we apply this miraculous finish by the Browns, here is where we are:

Browns 9-6-1

Miami 5-4 

Cincinnati 5-5

Tennessee 4-4 

Baltimore 4-6 

Indy 3-5 

Jax 3-5 

Jets 3-6 

Denver 3-7 (Eliminated)

Now, we don't have to worry about tiebreakers, since we have that tie, we just need teams to finish with 9 wins or less and we will be ahead of them so in their remaining games (outside of the losses to Cleveland we already added in) this is what we need:

Miami 5-4 Would have to go 5-2 or better

Cincinnati 5-5 Would have to go 5-1 or better

Tennessee 4-4 Would have to go 6-2 or better

Baltimore 4-6 Would have to win out the rest, 6-0

Indy 3-5 Would have to go 7-1 or better

Jax 3-5 Would have to go 7-1 or better

Jets 3-6 Would have twin out the rest, 7-0

Do I think Miami is going 5-2, the Bungles 5-1 outside of us, the Titans are going 6-2 or any of these other scenarios? No.

So all we have to do is Win Out, and ladies and gentleman, your 2018 Cleveland Browns are second AFC Wild Card Team. 

Go knock them down, boys.

Zombo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right,  my posts only give a current snapshot........they do not usually talk about a particular team's "path to the playoffs"......though at some point I will likely start including a list of teams "in the hunt". 

But, yes, very optimistic.   As much as Leslie Gore and Dobie Gillis combined!

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

I know Gipper does the who's ins and who's outs each week, but just in case one other person out there is as big of an unreasonable optimist as me as I present: The Browns path to the Playoffs 2018:

image.png

So we are currently the 14 Seed and we need to get up to #six ... how do we pass eight teams with a rookie laden team, an interim coach and a rough schedule?

Well, you miraculously win the rest of the games. The rest is easy in this year's AFC.

We will assume the Top 5 are in: New England, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Houston win their divisions and San Diego is the first wild card. Or flip SD and KC, doesn't matter for this exercise.

So, the Browns finish 9-6-1, so that means we beat Atlanta, Houston, Cincinnati twice, Carolina, Denver and Baltimore

Four of those wins, Cincyx2, Denver and Baltimore come against teams we need to pass, so if we apply this miraculous finish by the Browns, here is where we are:

Browns 9-6-1

Miami 5-4 

Cincinnati 5-5

Tennessee 4-4 

Baltimore 4-6 

Indy 3-5 

Jax 3-5 

Jets 3-6 

Denver 3-7 (Eliminated)

Now, we don't have to worry about tiebreakers, since we have that tie, we just need teams to finish with 9 wins or less and we will be ahead of them so in their remaining games (outside of the losses to Cleveland we already added in) this is what we need:

Do I think Miami is going 5-2, the Bungles 5-1 outside of us, the Titans are going 6-2 or any of these other scenarios? No.

So all we have to do is Win Out, and ladies and gentleman, your 2018 Cleveland Browns are second AFC Wild Card Team. 

Zombo

we are not going to win out....get that out of your head....but all these teams ahead of us kind of suck too....it may be possible we can get in with a losing record.....i remember bernies first yr i guess it was, we got in with an 8-8 record...so anything is possible....but dude, we ain't winning out.....

3 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Everything happens for a reason...right?

A win this week would be huge for this organization, I just don’t know if the defense can get its act together.

as much as i want to see them be somewhat alive for a spot, i think the falcons are going to tear um up....i don't see anyone covering julio one on one and if they double team....ridley and sanu will destroy us....especially this ridley kid....they are on a roll...bad time to face any team when they won 3 straight let alone the falcons....but, i guess there is hope...maybe ryan throws a bunch of int's and coleman fumbles a couple times...hey i can hope for a miracle...

I think this team can compete with just about any team.  Now, they may come up short, but if they play the way that they can, they can hang in with any team.

Should have beat the Saints:  best record in the NFL....tied.

Hung with the Chiefs until mid 3rd qtr....after injuries decimated them (as well as poor tackling habits).

Tied the Steelers,   beat the Ravens.

If they can recover from injuries....and make some effing tackles and cover some guys....which they have done before versus teams as good or better than the Falcons....they can hang.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I think this team can compete with just about any team.  Now, they may come up short, but if they play the way that they can, they can hang in with any team.

Should have beat the Saints:  best record in the NFL....tied.

Hung with the Chiefs until mid 3rd qtr....after injuries decimated them (as well as poor tackling habits).

Tied the Steelers,   beat the Ravens.

If they can recover from injuries....and make some effing tackles and cover some guys....which they have done before versus teams as good or better than the Falcons....they can hang.

Heard Doug Deiken the other day say that many times teams don't come into true form until they approach the 5th or so game...then is when you know what a team is all about. Is what we are seeing now the true browns?...hope not.

Others like WKNR's Jerrod Cherry have expressed the same opinions.

Yes the browns should have beaten the Saints, but you must remember the Saints also lost to the hapless Bucs in the opener...they still hadn't had their act together when they played the browns.

Yes the browns tied the Steelers, but as we now look back at the opener, we know now that it was an aberration as well... only because the Steelers blew them out the second meeting. The browns couldn't even compete in that second game..

Yes they beat the ravens, but like you said the ravens aren't that good....not to mention that the browns always give the ravens fits anyway.

Every team, bad or good "hangs with the Chiefs".  You knew from the beginning the browns weren't gonna win that game.

What I find troubling is that 5 teams put up more points against the Chiefs than the browns did...the Pats put up 43, the Steelers 37, the Chargers 28, the hapless 49'ers 27, the hapless Broncos put up 23 both times they played...then the browns at 21.

Only JAX and the bengals scored less than 21 against the Chiefs.

Seems the Falcons have arrived after a slow start as well.

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

Heard Doug Deiken the other day say that many times teams don't come into true form until they approach the 5th or so game...then is when you know what a team is all about. Is what we are seeing now the true browns?...hope not.

Others like WKNR's Jerrod Cherry have expressed the same opinions.

Yes the browns should have beaten the Saints, but you must remember the Saints also lost to the hapless Bucs in the opener...they still hadn't had their act together when they played the browns.

Yes the browns tied the Steelers, but as we now look back at the opener, we know now that it was an aberration as well... only because the Steelers blew them out the second meeting. The browns couldn't even compete in that second game..

Yes they beat the ravens, but like you said the ravens aren't that good....not to mention that the browns always give the ravens fits anyway.

Every team, bad or good "hangs with the Chiefs".  You knew from the beginning the browns weren't gonna win that game.

What I find troubling is that 5 teams put up more points against the Chiefs than the browns did...the Pats put up 43, the Steelers 37, the Chargers 28, the hapless 49'ers 27, the hapless Broncos put up 23 both times they played...then the browns at 21.

Only JAX and the bengals scored less than 21 against the Chiefs.

Seems the Falcons have arrived after a slow start as well.

What’s your point?

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

The path to the playoffs was detoured by keeping Hue after year 1.   

Are you still crying about Hue? 

Are you familiar with the animated movie 'Frozen'? It has a very popular song, named: "Let It Go". 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Are you familiar with the animated movie 'Frozen'? It has a very popular song, named: "Let It Go". 

Not familiar with that movie. But I’m sure glad they fired the worst coach in NFL history 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

In following polls, if there is anybody to blame, I'll always put "Hue Jackson" as an option... No matter if we're talking about climate change and it's already been years since he was fired.

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Path to the playoffs? Do we even have six players that can start on a playoff team? Out of 22, maybe 5

Well, that's ridiculous. Can you even name six players form last year's #6 seed, Buffalo? (Other than our backup QB)

So Landry, Tretter, Zeitler, Collins, Randall, Carrie, P.Gaines and Taylor HAVE started for playoff teams .... So there's eight right there.

So then Bitonio, Garrett, Ogunjobi, Schoebert ...

Actually any NFL starter can start for an NFL playoff team if they have a solid cast around them, a good coach and a few lucky bounces.

Zombo

16 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Path to the playoffs? Do we even have six players that can start on a playoff team? Out of 22, maybe 5

How many players on this team were here last year? It was 16 and that includes the Punter and Kicker (Who is gone now) Building a team is not easy but you have to build a team that can come together. How many of these guys do you see being here next year? Sheet how many belong here? Add in another new coach next year who is going to want to DRAFT a new QB and make him learn on the bench behind another washed up never was just like every coach we ever had did and wont be able to figure out why we can't get any better.

18 hours ago, Zombo said:

Well, that's ridiculous. Can you even name six players form last year's #6 seed, Buffalo? (Other than our backup QB)

So Landry, Tretter, Zeitler, Collins, Randall, Carrie, P.Gaines and Taylor HAVE started for playoff teams .... So there's eight right there.

So then Bitonio, Garrett, Ogunjobi, Schoebert ...

Actually any NFL starter can start for an NFL playoff team if they have a solid cast around them, a good coach and a few lucky bounces.

Zombo

I don’t know. Lined up with kaycee and spitt, I didn’t see but maybe six that would start with them. Which is better than last year.  We’re going the right direction though and next year should be a team capable of a playoff run. This year is pretty much an extended preseason. 

On 11/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, Zombo said:

Well, you miraculously win the rest of the games.

One down... six to go...

You just keep thinkin', Butch... that's what you're good at.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, Zombo said:

image.png

Browns 9-6-1

Miami 5-4 

Cincinnati 5-5

Tennessee 4-4 

Baltimore 4-6 

Indy 3-5 

Jax 3-5 

Jets 3-6 

Denver 3-7 (Eliminated)

Zombo

So one week after my post, we have jumped three spots and are just two games behind the Bungles who we are yet to play twice ...

Waking up and feeling dangerous.

image.png

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

So one week after my post, we have jumped three spots and are just two games behind the Bungles who we are yet to play twice ...

Waking up and feeling dangerous.

image.png

It's going to be tough. CLE can beat CIN 2x. HOU will be tough especially since they will play them after HOU played TENN (a team that beat HOU earlier this year). I think CLE can beat CAR. I could see CAR looking ahead to NO the following week. DEN (will probably lose to LAC and PITT before playing CLE) and BAL (will probably lose to ATL, KC, LAC before playing CLE) should be Ws since they won't have nothing to play for. 

WFH.gif      win out 70%'ish? Lose 1 14%'ish? Tie Texans/win out 60%'ish                            https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-picture.html  <<cool little tool to play around with..  o26.gif     Go Browns!! Take the path to #6..

We are just behind Baltimore and Cincy. Baltimore is sending out Jackson and he won't last long as a full time QB. 

Cincy is still missing AJ Green if I believe and maybe both Baltimore and Cincy lose this week. Then next week we beat Cincy that knocks them down two spots. That would put us 1/2 a game behind the Bengals and closer to having the edge if beat them. I believe we would also pass the Ravens since we beat them as well. 

One step at a time. This team seems to be coming together at the right time despite the slew of injuries and have embraced the next man up mentality. 

Archived