THE BROWNS BOARD

baker has BBQBS, time to start thinking about shutting him down...

Clevfan4life

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just back the truck up on that one. Regarding Schwartz, for sure that was a Sashi screw up. Erving? We would have paid for his plane ticket out of town he was so gawdawful. That he's morphed into a passable OL dude is one of the great mysteries of life. Reiter was journeyman exemplified. 

I hear ya, all I'm saying is it hurt to see guys that couldn't cut the mustard for us, play for the best team in the league.  That's the only point I was making.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker's accuracy is waning. He's making wild high throws... and that concerns me. However, I think he has to play his way thru the slump.

He had bad, high throws no doubt and I think we both know well the "why" on when those throws happen. I would argue though after his slump in his few starts his accuracy has been there and the stats do tend to back that up. Of course, it's totally fair to say he's throwing a lot more "short" stuff this past two games, but he was at nearly 70% completion yesterday.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

He had bad, high throws no doubt and I think we both know well the "why" on when those throws happen. I would argue though after his slump in his few starts his accuracy has been there and the stats do tend to back that up. Of course, it's totally fair to say he's throwing a lot more "short" stuff this past two games, but he was at nearly 70% completion yesterday.

It's interesting, I made the same observation yesterday to my wife.  For whatever reason, Baker's accuracy seemed to be a TAD off.  There were a couple of throws, one to Njoku comes to mind, that you don't think of Baker missing...like...ever.  However, like you said, 70% is nothing to scoff at, so maybe I just have unrealistic expectations for the kid.  

One thing Baker has ALWAYS struggled with in the pros is his deep ball accuracy.  For whatever reason, he appears to have trouble connecting on these, and it's something our offense DESPERATELY needs.  He didn't necessarily miss wide open bombs yesterday, but his deep throws generally leave more to be desired.  That being said, I was very happy to see him connect with Callaway on that deep sideline pass.  Of course, I would've MUCH rather seen that play go the distance, but whatever.  The main reason I'd like to see it go all the way is because Baker threw his first interception a play or two later, and it really put a damper on an otherwise stellar performance.  I would've really liked to see Baker and the offense get another crack at the red zone because young offenses historically struggle there, unless your name is Patrick Mahomes, and you wear a Chiefs uniform.  

Baker will be kicking himself over that pick, too.  It's a pass you just can't make, and he knows it.  

One of the aspects of Baker's game that is starting to concern me is I see him locking on receivers now.  A good example was our first play of the game.  We faked the WR screen, and Baker wanted to go deep, which is more than fine if the deep guy is open.  Since it's us, the deep guy was smothered, but Baker didn't look elsewhere.  If he had, he would've seen Jarvis Landry, our best receiver, streaking across the middle for a gain of 20 yards.  I believe Bruce Arians even commented on the play, remarking how open Jarvis was.  

I believe Baker is locking onto to people because he's not used to having time anymore.  It's hard to blame him because he literally didn't HAVE time to progress through reads in recent games, but more often than not, he had decent protection yesterday, and he didn't appear to move through his reads like I'd like.  Am I asking too much from my rookie?  Possibly, but Baker is missing opportunities, ESPECIALLY deep opportunities.  No QB is going to make the right read EVERY time, but Baker isn't seeing the deep stuff well, and I'm hoping he starts to trust himself to make some of these throws because our "explosive plays" are severely lacking.  

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I believe Baker is locking onto to people because he's not used to having time anymore. 

Wouldn't that make a QB look more frantically from WR to WR?

I think...

1. he's being given fewer options...
  2. he's looking for NCAA level open...
7 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

As others hinted at... completion percentage is not the best indicator of "accuracy".

As for the high throws... I'm not sure why they are sailing on him. My guess is he's overthrowing because he's overthrowing (a/k/a throwing harder than his limit).

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wouldn't that make a QB look more frantically from WR to WR?

I think...

1. he's being given fewer options..

I believe it was Trent Green doing the game yesterday and he said that was something they had worked on during the week was giving him less reads and to focus on quicker options which they hadn't been doing the previous weeks.   If I remember correctly, he even questioned on what Haley was doing giving a rookie QB that many reads and options at this point in his career.

It's hard being a rookie in this league. Especially when you are on a bad team.

image.png

But Browns fans can take heart in the fact that he leads all of the rookies in the major percentages: completion %, Td %, Int%, Yards / att, and QB Rating ... Despite being the only one that has already lost a head coach and an offensive coordinator, has played most of the season without the guys that were going to be his #1 and #3 WR, and (I don't think I have to look this up) has been the only one playing with rookies at both  RB and X WR and a rookie undrafted free agent at LT.

I thought Kitchens called a good gameplan, keep playing him (obviously) and let him get better. He's learning every week. He's got the arm, the head, and the feet for the job, and now he's got a coaching staff that is more concerned with protecting him and getting him better than saving their jobs.

Zombo

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

... now he's got a coaching staff that is more concerned with protecting him and getting him better than saving their jobs.

Pretty sure those are not mutually exclusive... and haven't been since Week 3.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Clevfan4life said:

BatteredBrownsQBSyndrome.

Trademarked^^^

Remember that sappy moment after the ravens win when hue told Baker "u dont flinch man".....well, he's flinching. Bad. 

we've seen this show before. So if this is our franchise guy, we cant put him out there for much longer. This is boolshit. Dude is now seeing 320lb DL cut loose on him even after correctly calling the protection. He's missing easy throws u cant miss in the NFL. I saw him flinch mid throw, not pump fake...FLINCH. He's 2nd guessing throws in mid motion. This can only end in disaster. As it has everytime for the past 20 years

I was saying the same thing on a Browns fb page and everybody was arguing with me. I have to ignore most of them as they all seem like younger snowflakes. This page is by far the best Browns page there is and most really know the game and know it well and know our history. I get way to strung out on substance and Beer during games to make much sense on here on Sundays but I am still a loyal fan and I am looking forward to the Sat night game in Denver in a few weeks. GO BROWNS!

8 hours ago, medicineman said:

Calloway is going to have a decent game this week, over 100 yards and a score. I look for us going to him early on for a long pass.

You could be right. Initially, I thought the game was in Atlanta, and I was really excited to see us play in a dome. I envisioned Callaway really tearing it up on turf, and I wanted to see Baker play without elements. However, it's in Cleveland, and I don't THINK we're going to see the truly awful weather yet. 

It was so important for Baker and Callaway to finally connect on that deep throw. If I'm being picky, I want to see those plays go all the way. Our offense is SEVERELY lacking in explosive plays, whereas all the highlights I watch from other games perpetually show long TD catches. When was the last time WE had one? The amazing, incredible, WTF just happened Tyrod bomb to Callaway? It's time for MORE. Baker has missed Callaway deep a handful of times, so it was great to see them connect. 

It's further important because Callaway is about all we got as a deep threat since the loss of he who will not be named. He needs to stretch the field and help open the middle up for Landry, Higgins, Njoku. Heck, and Devalve too. Why isn't he doing more? I definitely want a lot more from the TEs, and this game is as good as any other one. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:29 PM, medicineman said:

I was saying the same thing on a Browns fb page and everybody was arguing with me. I have to ignore most of them as they all seem like younger snowflakes. This page is by far the best Browns page there is and most really know the game and know it well and know our history. I get way to strung out on substance and Beer during games to make much sense on here on Sundays but I am still a loyal fan and I am looking forward to the Sat night game in Denver in a few weeks. GO BROWNS!

Hahaha being a Browns fan will do it to ya

I tell you what, Baker missed a few throws and had some passes that weren't his style last week, but boy was he dialed in today. He was throwing with confidence and authority. That ball was HUMMING. 

His best pass of the day? The one from his own end zone where he found Callaway on the comebacker....as his 3rd read. Yo. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Like I said on another thread, like night and day. 

I realize it's just two games with the new staff, but Baker Mayfield is like 47-62 for 550 yards and 5 tds with 1 pick. While we didn't get any favors playing the Chiefs, we DID get a favor in playing their defense. Likewise with Atlanta. It was a nice way to start the new interim regime, and I am thankful we didn't start out playing the Ravens or some other physical butt team. 

Perhaps the best thing about the victory is we appear healthy AND we're getting the bye week to get even more stout. It wouldn't surprise me to see Terence Mitchell back after the bye, too. 

Hats off to receivers for catching everything today, the OL for blocking well, and even special teams for coming through. Greg Robinson had a couple SNAFU's at LT, including a dangerous sack-fumble, and an obvious hold, but all in all, the guy played well AGAIN. 

Archived