THE BROWNS BOARD

Yes or no?

Westside Steve

Sounds like a question for the Supreme Court to answer concerning the 14th Amendment. Right now at face value it would appear the legal answer is yes, like it or not.

My sister was born in Venezuela and until age 21 had two passports, one U.S. and one Venezuela. I am not sure if she had to declare the U.S. at that point, but I know Venezuela still honors her birthright there. Don't think she still has the two passports, but I'll check on it.

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

Sounds like a question for the Supreme Court to answer concerning the 14th Amendment. Right now at face value it would appear the legal answer is yes, like it or not.

My sister was born in Venezuela and until age 21 had two passports, one U.S. and one Venezuela. I am not sure if she had to declare the U.S. at that point, but I know Venezuela still honors her birthright there. Don't think she still has the two passports, but I'll check on it.

I assume your mother was in Venezuela legally for accompanying your father on work or whatever, correct?  My daughter was born in Japan, and my wife is Japanese so she had a choice until 21 to either be Japanese or US citizen.    Japan and the USA do not have dual citizenship.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And what if they were legally here (like my parents were in Venezuela) working in the U.S. but still not U.S. citizens?

If they are on a temporary work visa, I would say no.  If they are legal registered aliens, then I would say yes.

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I assume your mother was in Venezuela legally for accompanying your father on work or whatever, correct?  My daughter was born in Japan, and my wife is Japanese so she had a choice until 21 to either be Japanese or US citizen.    Japan and the USA do not have dual citizenship.

At the time she was born she became Venezuelan and they required her to have their passport to travel abroad. But since our parents were U.S. citizens the U.S. also required her to have a passport. I'm almost positive my parents had both stamped in the US so they could prove to Venezuela where they had traveled and I believe the same was done in Venezuela to prove to the US where she had been. I suspect my parents added a little cash to get Venezuela to stamp both, but I don't know for sure.

There was no "formal" recognition, but there certainly was an informal one. I know that part for sure since I do recall my Mom handing over both passports at the same time both there and here with an explanation in the US that she had been born there. Pretty sure I remember them stamping both in both locations.

38 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Sounds like a question for the Supreme Court to answer concerning the 14th Amendment. 

My thought I was fairly specific and understandable when I said I wasn't looking for a constitutional argument. Just your thoughts. Should the children of illegals born in the US automatically be citizens?

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Not really a question about feasibility or constitutional issues but just and agree or disagree, right or wrong. 

Do you think that the children born of people in the country illegally should automatically become US citizens?

I doubt anyone will be surprised but I would vote no.

WSS

With a constitutional angle not being a factor, no. You can’t expect a country to give auto citizenship just because your mom snuck in and plopped out a kid.

My only gripe with all of this is just the toying with the constitution. I don’t agree with the spirit of the 14th and the ramifications but I don’t want it leaving a door open for fuc-kery with other amendments.

9 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

My thought I was fairly specific and understandable when I said I wasn't looking for a constitutional argument. Just your thoughts. Should the children of illegals born in the US automatically be citizens?

WSS

I am pretty well founded in the importance of the constitution so my answer would still be yes. Either you live by the law of this land or you don't. It's also why I have insisted that anything Trump does that may be illegal still has to be found that way through our legal system, not just opinions of persons like me who think he is the worst and  most dangerous fraud ever perpetrated on this country.

Here is a pretty good debate on Fox News concerning the subject. 

Here is an article from some who believe Trump has the constitutional right to make an executive order ending birthright citizenship. Agree or disagree I think an argument can be made either way. I personally would like to see it go to the Supreme Court and let them clarify what was really meant. I think if Trump does issue an executive order it will immediately get challenged in federal court and will end up at the Supreme Court on appeal.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/levin-and-horowitz-yes-trump-can-end-birthright-citizenship-for-children-of-illegal-immigrants-with-an-executive-order/

18 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

while i agree tgat anchor  abies should prob go away, paul ryans right. Y'all better listen to.him cause if trump does this the wrong way u are handing democrats a checkbook ur not gonna like when they start writin in it....

uve been warned

So you are for stopping the anchor baby clause. Fine.

Paul Ryan aside there is no way Trump can handle this and appease the lefties the Democrats and the beaners. It sucks but people are unfortunately unable to tell the difference between legal and illegal so now for some circles the illegals are heroes.

WSS

"illegal" serves the democrat marxist purposes of "transforming America" into a place where they

permanently have power.

To get that, you have to flood the demographic voters rolls with those who don't know our Constitution or Bill of Rights, who

don't have skills to support themselves.

Dangerous political times because of this.

the birthright citizenship by NON CITIZENS was a farce from the beginning. The 14th Amendment was completely about

righting the wrong of slavery, after emancipation.

Just a small history lesson which will help you see that the 14th amendment was used by the Supreme Court to stop the "separate but equal" nonsense in the south in the 1950's. So it's much more complicated than just anchor babies.

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/fourteenth-amendment

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just a small history lesson which will help you see that the 14th amendment was used by the Supreme Court to stop the "separate but equal" nonsense in the south in the 1950's. So it's much more complicated than just anchor babies.

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/fourteenth-amendment

Which is why I would like to see this go to the Supreme Court to make a definitive ruling to see if it does or does not apply to anchor babies. If Trump makes an executive order doing away with birthright citizenship that is probably the quickest way to get the issue before the Supreme Court. 

Archived