Jump to content
Westside Steve

All in on Baker?

Recommended Posts

I'll watch the video shortly, but just to respond to the thread....YESSSSS.

Listen, it's no secret that Baker doesn't look as good now as he did in his first few games.  He's a rookie and I don't expect perfection, but when you look at the film review article of the Bucs game, and also just trusting "the eye test", it's pretty easy to see Baker isn't going the right way in terms of development.  I've always said Baker is the man for us, and I'm not changing my mind ONE BIT.  That being said, last week was the first time I saw a hint of "Battered Browns QB Syndrome" in him, and I don't want to see that progress.  I give props to our ownership for making a difficult decision to fire both coaches, and hopefully we're in a better position now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throughout Baker's career, he's shown he has qb magic. He gets it - it's how he's wired. I imagine there are many qb's in the NFL who don't have it, but still can perform a good bit.

My opinion - is that the next HC and OC need to at least totally understand that magic that Baker has at qb.

   We'll see how the next move is made, but Dorsey knows football - and he fixes problems that get in the way of winning.

Here is some good stuff from Deon Sanders

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would make just as much sense to hire Bob Stoops.   After all....Stoops was Mayfied's coach for longer than Riley was.

Stoops is "only" 58.   Younger than a number of NFL HCs:

Pete Carroll 66 Seattle Seahawks
Bill Belichick 65 New England Patriots
Mike Zimmer 61 Minnesota Vikings
Andy Reid 60 Kansas City Chiefs
Marvin Lewis 59 Cincinnati Bengals
Dirk Koetter 59 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Ron Rivera 56 Carolina Panthers
Frank Reich 56 Indianapolis Colts
John Harbaugh 55 Baltimore Ravens
Mike McCarthy 55 Green Bay Packers
Sean Payton 54 New Orleans Saints
Todd Bowles 54 New York Jets
Jon Gruden 54 Oakland Raiders
Doug Marrone 53 Jacksonville Jaguars
Hue Jackson 52 Cleveland Browns
Pat Shurmur 52 New York Giants
Bill O'Brien 51 Houston Texans
Jay Gruden 51 Washington Redskins
Doug Pederson 50 Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Garrett 49 Dallas Cowboys
Steve Wilks 48 Arizona Cardinals
Dan Quinn 47 Atlanta Falcons
Mike Tomlin 46 Pittsburgh Steelers
Vance Joseph 45 Denver Broncos
Sean McDermott 44 Buffalo Bills
Matt Patricia 43 Detroit Lions
Anthony Lynn 42 Los Angeles Chargers
Mike Vrabel 42 Tennessee Titans
Adam Gase 40 Miami Dolphins
Matt Nagy 39 Chicago Bears
Kyle Shanahan 38 San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay 32 Los Angeles Rams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people might laugh at this, but I think that last drive Baker had against the Steelers was important.  I realize they likely pulled just about all of their starters, but it wasn't exactly like they were in a true prevent defense, either.  The Steelers rushed more than 4 on several of those plays, and Baker completed a VERY difficult pass to Devalve for a helluva TD strike in between like 4 Steelers.  Even on that play the Steelers rushed 4 linemen, who attempted an unsuccessful stunt.  Baker somehow fit the ball in between those defenders, and Devalve made a very nice catch.  Yeah, it really didn't matter, and yeah, it was way too little too late, but it's still nice for our QB to see the ball scored.  Those are the type of plays that can build confidence, and who knows?  Maybe that's the kind of play that gets Devalve rolling as well.  I certainly predicted Devalve to be a vital part of our offense this year, and I literally have NO clue why he's not even getting targeted.  

Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

http://www.nfl.com/player/bakermayfield/2560800/profile

I also wanted to point out a question that we likely can't answer.  Recently a radio show host made the statement that it appeared as if Baker is making far fewer adjustments at the line and calling out basically no audibles.  He said it was especially evident against the Steelers when they had obvious rushers coming, yet Baker didn't make any protection adjustments or any playcall audibles.  The question was, "Did Baker have audibles and protection changes taken away from him in order to make the game simpler?"   I have to admit, this goes beyond the scope of my knowledge, but it makes sense to some degree.  I've NEVER seen SO MANY untouched, and unaccounted for defensive players rushing the QB, and many times it was SO OBVIOUS that they were coming.  How could our QB NOT know they were coming for him, and how could he NOT KNOW he didn't have personnel to block them?  The Steelers weren't even trying to disguise what they were doing many times, and it confused the heck out of me.  

Baker's numbers through 5.5 games:  58% completion, 1471 yards, 8 TDs, and 6 INT's.  79 QBR.  I'd say that looks about right for a rookie, what do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

 

Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

 

I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…: https://youtu.be/EQ85v72hJfI

i said it on another thread.....if these Shmucking bozos screw this up....which is quite possible....and in my opinion, they have already started with having baker go thru his second oc in less than a yr, i hope to hell he gets out of here and goes to a team that will bring out his best and give him a chance......so yes, he has the it factor, and at this point deal me in....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jiggins7919 said:

Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I think Baker has franchise QB potential? Yes.

Do I need to go "all in" for him to become that QB? No.... Sorry, but it's a stupid effin' question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, browns52 said:

maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

We also need people to throw to, and that means Higgins has to get healthy. I realize he's not exactly an allstar, but we desperately need him. Baker can have all day to throw but it won't do much good if we don't have anyone to catch it or get open. I was just watching the highlights of the Bucs at Bengals game and our guys wouldn't be able to make half the catches in that contest. We have holes in our roster, and I guess that's to be expected if I'm being honest with myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

We also need people to throw to, and that means Higgins has to get healthy. I realize he's not exactly an allstar, but we desperately need him. Baker can have all day to throw but it won't do much good if we don't have anyone to catch it or get open. I was just watching the highlights of the Bucs at Bengals game and our guys wouldn't be able to make half the catches in that contest. We have holes in our roster, and I guess that's to be expected if I'm being honest with myself. 

It takes more than one offseason to build a top flight team.   The team is better than it was last year and the year before, correct??    Hopefully that trend continues going forward with new coaches and some additions to both sides of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

You are just full of optimism tonight in multiple threads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

I would take that bet.....if it were not such a long turn affair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

You are just full of optimism tonight in multiple threads

It is what it is.  I watch all but 4 games of Baker’s OU career.  In that time he had two 3 NFL caliber RBs in Mixon, Perine and Anderson.  A NFL TE in Mark Andrews,  DeDe Westbrook and Sterling Shepard as WRs.  He played behind a perennial top 5 college OLs and an offensive guru in Lincoln Riley.  He’s Sam Bradford 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, Westside Steve said:

Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…: https://youtu.be/EQ85v72hJfI

 

Don't become the Buccaneers.. In the 40 yr history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, they have drafted 25 Quarterbacks, and exactly ZERO have been signed to a second contract.....:o Despite the fact they have drafted THREE Superbowl winning Quarterbacks..

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Babernakle said:

The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Browns149 said:

I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

Or neither 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Gipper said:

Or neither 

If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

It’s not down to those twoIt’s not down to those two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Gipper said:

It’s not down to those twoIt’s not down to those two

I know that at this point.  But you never know what the future holds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Browns149 said:

I know that at this point.  But you never know what the future holds

I know that the future will hold that the Browns will not just consider those two names

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I know that the future will hold that the Browns will not just consider those two names

Of course it will have way more names then those 2. 

But if it was ONLY those 2 I’m taking the proven NFL coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Of course it will have way more names then those 2. 

But if it was ONLY those 2 I’m taking the proven NFL coach

We basically already know it will be more than those two names because there's too many reports of DiFillipo being a candidate so we know he's in the mix plus probably a dozen more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark O said:

We basically already know it will be more than those two names because there's too many reports of DiFillipo being a candidate so we know he's in the mix plus probably a dozen more.

How many times do i have to say this?

I want a proven SUPERBOWL winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach

If that’s the choice

of course there will be many other candidates. I’m just saying SB winner over college coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

How many times do i have to say this?

I want a proven SUPERBOWL winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach

If that’s the choice

of course there will be many other candidates. I’m just saying SB winner over college coach

You can say it as much as you want and I'll say again.   Once coaches have won a super bowl somewhere else, they don't win with another team.  It doesn't happen.  Never in the super bowl era has it happened so why would you want that?   You want to bring Dungy off the TV?  How's that working out in Oakland?     Once they've won and reached the top of the mountain it doesn't happen again.  We already tried this bringing in Holmgren and how did that work out?

Don Shula and Weeb Ewbank are the only two coaches in history to win a NFL title with two different teams.   That's it 2 in what 90 years?   Give me someone new over those odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Give me someone new over those odds.

After some thought, the new someone you should be looking for is Jim Bob Cooter.

That's right, I'm officially a rooter of Cooter.

A Cooter Rooter, you may say. 

Come to love the Cooter too, MarkO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×