THE BROWNS BOARD

Jordan Whitehead Fined For Helmet to Helmet Hit on Mayfield

Canton Dawg

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/10/helmet-to-helmet-hit-on-baker-mayfield-earns-jordan-whitehead-fine-of-26739.html

Helmet-to-helmet hit on Baker Mayfield earns Jordan Whitehead fine of $26,739

Updated Oct 27, 5:10 PMPosted Oct 27, 5:02 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Bucs safety safety Jordan Whitehead wasn’t penalized for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Baker Mayfield during last Sunday’s 26-23 loss to the Bucs in overtime, but he paid the price on Saturday.

Whitehead, who ear-holed Mayfield after a 35-yard run in the fourth quarter, was fined $26,739 for unnecessary roughness on that hit. The fine comes as no surprise, because NFL head of officiating Al Riveron admitted in his weekly video that the hit should’ve been flagged for two reasons.

“(Mayfield’s) going to get contacted just as he starts to slide,’’ Riveron said. “We’re watching the defender as he lowers his head to initiate contact, and he does make contact, so that right there is a foul within itself. No. 2, as we can see the quarterback starts to slide, and even though he slides late, he is still afforded protection from forcible contact to the neck and head area.

“And there is your contact, so that is a foul for two reasons. No. 1, lowering your head to initiate contact. And No. 2, forcible contact to a quarterback who has given himself up in the head or neck area.”

In addition to the NFL’s announcement, Hue Jackson expressed dismay that Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said Baker Mayfield taunted Whitehead after the play, and that a flag was thrown for that. Mayfield did pop up and get in Whitehead’s face after the illegal hit, but neither of the two flags thrown were for taunting, a league source told cleveland.com.

“That disappointed me,’’ said Jackson. “I did see that (Koetter said).’’

Jackson was miffed that taunting was mentioned when Mayfield could’ve been seriously injured.

To make matters worse, head referee Shawn Hochuli announced over the loudspeaker “the quarterback was still a runner and therefore is allowed to be hit in the head. He had not yet begun to slide. There is no foul.’’

Mayfield was stunned when he saw the announcement later on replay.

"No words,’’ Mayfield said Wednesday. “Honestly. No words."

He added, “I didn’t hear it at the time because I was so fuming mad, but to hear the ref say he’s allowed to be hit in the head, I thought that’s why they put in the rule. But we’ll see.’’

What would it take for him to get a call like that?

“Probably not playing quarterback for the Browns,’’ he said with smirk.

Mayfield popped up after the hit and got in Whitehead’s face, which fired up his teammates.

“That’s the type of energy and fire that I try to bring to the game,’’ he said. “Good reaction 'cause it was a big play. We converted and we moved the ball down the field. We played well in that second half 'cause we were clicking on all cylinders.”

Well now isn't that interesting.

Welcome to the new era of football, brought to you by booth reviews and further deliberations. Oh well.....

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

... NFL head of officiating Al Riveron admitted in his weekly video that the hit should’ve been flagged for two reasons.

I thought this guy was over the league's centralized review HQ... :blink:

Here's a guy on a 3 year deal making 800k on a 16 game season.50k per game..Is $26,739 really enough to matter or is the league (really wanting to solve this issue) sit him next week for a full game check? remember, it works both ways & fines our donated.. 

Archived