THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Steelers Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In fact I was blamed for calling it. And after I was blamed for even suggesting it,  it all happened exactly as called. I should go into the Tarot card reading business. LOL! 🤗

Don't ask me to call the result of the Chief's game Bill. I have seen the future, and it's not pretty....   

What was troubling to me, we looked pretty good the first 10 minutes of the game, then the Steelers adapted, we didn't. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BaconHound said:

And do you really think that NFL coaches, a GM and an owner are ok with getting there prizes #1 draft pick injures to further Harrison’s career?

If you think pride is keeping coaches from putting together winning schemes then we should just shut it down from here.  Hubris effects the Mike Mccarthy’s Of the world who have one not the guy just trying to keep his job.

The fact of the matter is the team is still talentless at a lot of key positions and once again the guy who needs to bring talent hasn’t done that.

Hyde can block, Gordon can catch and no one wanted Harrison but here we are 

...what? A coaches job is to make adjustments on things that aren't working. When you see Harrison getting beat like a drum and guys are running unblocked at your QB, a good coach adjusts. When a coach markedly decides not to do that, that's a dude who is arrogant in thinking his schemes should be working. That's what haley and Hue did yesterday, which is what? Hubris!

We have two pro bowl guards and a top 10 center. Harrison is playing poorly but dont give me that no talent crap. This coaching staff is simply not playing to our strengths and that's a huge problem.

I'm listening to another Browns radio show and the host is echoing what the other shows said, in that he said at no point did he ever think we were really in the game.  That's pretty crazy when you consider we were up 6-0, almost 9-0, and then we somehow cut the lead to 4 in the second half, yet the radio hosts I'm listening to both said they never felt we were in the game.  And it's funny, I think we all kind of know what they mean.  Even when the game was close, it never really felt like we were a threat.  Heck, we were one big play away from taking the lead in the second half!  We get a pick-6, fumble scoop and score, or just a stop and offensive drive...we have the lead.  But it never really FELT like that because after we cut the second half lead, the Steelers ran the ball 3 times in a row for 50 yards or something, and then scored a couple plays later.  It was crazy.  If there was EVER a drive when the defense needed to crank it up, it was after we scored that TD to cut the lead to 4 points, and we just got GASHED.  

Defensively, I'm pretty angry.  I realize how frustrated they have to be, I get it.  They get stops, they get turnovers, and the offense doesn't do anything with it.  I get they're frustrated, but when the game was already over, and the Steelers basically ran the ball 11 times in a row in the 4th quarter and our defense couldn't stop them.  They ran the ball about a dozen times in a row, and I don't know if the Steelers had more than 1 3rd down on that drive.  It was awful.  That one drive, right there, was unacceptable.  It seemed like the defense quit, and I hope that's not the case.  

51 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Defensively, I'm pretty angry.  I realize how frustrated they have to be, I get it.  They get stops, they get turnovers, and the offense doesn't do anything with it.  I get they're frustrated, but when the game was already over, and the Steelers basically ran the ball 11 times in a row in the 4th quarter and our defense couldn't stop them.  They ran the ball about a dozen times in a row, and I don't know if the Steelers had more than 1 3rd down on that drive.  It was awful.  That one drive, right there, was unacceptable.  It seemed like the defense quit, and I hope that's not the case.  

Before Gene Stallings came from the Cowboys to take Alabama to a National Championship, he was a HC at A & M known for his great abilities with defenses, but totally lacking in understanding offensive football. We played Cincinnati one night where the defense must have taken the ball away or caused 3 & outs about 10 or 11 times only to have the offense either stall 3 & out or turn the ball right back over. Late in the game when the defense caused yet another takeaway, the crowd I was in started to chant in unison, "Leave the defense in!! Leave the defense in!!" We lost that game 17-0 despite 3 takeaways and 10 UC punts. They barely had 200 yds for the game. (I found the stats in archives).

Now how pitiful would that be, but right on the money, for a Browns game?🤢🤮

On 10/29/2018 at 7:31 AM, jrb12711 said:

...what? A coaches job is to make adjustments on things that aren't working. When you see Harrison getting beat like a drum and guys are running unblocked at your QB, a good coach adjusts. When a coach markedly decides not to do that, that's a dude who is arrogant in thinking his schemes should be working. That's what haley and Hue did yesterday, which is what? Hubris!

We have two pro bowl guards and a top 10 center. Harrison is playing poorly but dont give me that no talent crap. This coaching staff is simply not playing to our strengths and that's a huge problem.

Bitonio hasn’t been pro bowl in years, Hubbard has been average and Tretter hurt as of late.  Again no one is saying adjustments can’t be made but at what cost?  Duke and Chubb don’t block well, that’s a fact.  Haley had Baker throwing quick hitters to start each game as an adjustment but that wasn’t working.  You can go 2 TEs to protect Baker but if that set isn’t offensively productive all you’re doing is giving him time to not get hit.

I guarantee we will continue to struggle on offense going forward and you can blame the new interim coach 

Anyone else notice the bad spot that went in the steelers favor at the end of the first half.  Dang near 3 extra yds.  I wonder if tomlin would have taken the fg instead of going for it.

Now that I have finally watched CLE at PIT, I can see that this Browns team is different like night and day from the nightmares that CLE has had over the past several years.  Don't let the win-loss record get you down coz those numbers can be very misleading.  These guys are for real.  It's a rebuild that is working.  Yes, there are issues that need to be dealt with but CLE has certainly entered a new era.

Virtually every aspect of the Browns has improved except the O-line which is what lost the game for CLE while PIT's O-line won the game.  It all started up front and endured up front and finished up front.  PIT's 2 running backs did 5.2 yards per carry (YPC) and Ben had time to throw for 257 yards behind that line.

Mayfield is starting to look like Tim Ouch behind that O-line. Tie Rod put his hat on and was warming-up.  Do not trade Tie Rod.  He will be needed soon.

That game was all about the O-lines.  The best part of the game for PIT and the worst part of the game for CLE was the 10 carries for 70 yards in the 4th quarter.  Everybody in the building expected the next running play but it could not be stopped.  If anyone watching TV did not know what would happen next, then Fouts explained it to them, "It's going to be a steady dose of Conner now…" CLE crowded the center with 10 guys for much of that drive but they gave up 7 YPC and a TD.  The Browns D is not bad.  They may have been tired and demoralized, but it's the blocking that earned PIT 7 YPC on that drive.

Since Mike Munchak arrived, it hasn't mattered who is running the rock or who is on the O-line.  Filer, Finney, or Hubbard last year.  They all play at a high level.  LT, Villanueva was raw, new and the weak link when he arrived.  Munchak coached him and he made the Pro Bowl.  Those Landry Jones games were won by the Munchak coached backups.  Munchak also coaches the tight ends in blocking.

CLE has a bunch of guys on the O-line who have never played together and when Hue said that it would be an opening day game time decision as to who he would play on the O-line, I knew that meant trouble for the O-line and trouble for Hue.

The time has not arrived as of yet for CLE to beat PIT in Pittsburgh.  That day will come.  The Steelers are a good team and they are very difficult to beat at home.  CLE was 4 points behind after 42 minutes of football.  That is an accomplishment.

Mayfield was 9 years old when Ben became the Steelers starting QB.  CLE started a rookie QB.  PIT started a future Hall of Fame QB.  Fix the O-line and give it some time.

Joe Haden had a great game. Yinz must have terribly mixed feelings about Joe Haden.  You will never get used to seeing him in black and yellow and now he is PIT's #1 CB.  He is still the coolest and most likeable guy. It made yinz feel better to think that Haden was washed-up, over-paid, and injury-prone.  Yeh, yinz were right about the injury-prone part.  When he limps off the field it's a game changing event that happens too often.

Many of yinz have said that you don't want a retread or recycled coach.  You want one of those new, young guys, but those guys are hit-or-miss.  CLE can now attract a decent HC with a track record.  Ken Whisenhunt comes to mind.  He was a Browns coach.  ARI almost won the Super Bowl with him.  He has shown that with talent, he will win a lot of games.  I loved what Ken Whisenhunt did with Roethlisberger.  He should do that for Mayfield, who reminds me of Kurt Warner.

Please don't be negative.  Your thoughts are powerful.  The Browns are good.  Believe it because it’s true.

11 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Bitonio hasn’t been pro bowl in years, Hubbard has been average and Tretter hurt as of late.  Again no one is saying adjustments can’t be made but at what cost?  Duke and Chubb don’t block well, that’s a fact.  Haley had Baker throwing quick hitters to start each game as an adjustment but that wasn’t working.  You can go 2 TEs to protect Baker but if that set isn’t offensively productive all you’re doing is giving him time to not get hit.

I guarantee we will continue to struggle on offense going forward and you can blame the new interim coach 

And I guarantee you if you asked 100 coaches with mediocre offenses if they prefer incomplete passes over their QB getting killed they'd pick the former every time. It's insane to see your dude get destroyed by unblocked defenders for the sake of "better offense". 

17 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

And I guarantee you if you asked 100 coaches with mediocre offenses if they prefer incomplete passes over their QB getting killed they'd pick the former every time. It's insane to see your dude get destroyed by unblocked defenders for the sake of "better offense". 

The part I don't understand about the unblocked defenders is that there were many times it was obvious the Steelers were sending people, and we didn't have personnel to block them.  Instead of changing the protection schemes, the play itself, or maybe even taking a timeout, Baker just went ahead with the play.  If there are obvious instances where we're having unblocked defenders, how does our QB and our coaches not figure it out?  I mean, is Baker not allowed to change protections?  Is he not allowed to audible?  If I can see the unblocked defenders, HE can see it, I know that much.  And it wasn't like we had a quick dump-off called, or we had a designed screen.  Baker hiked the ball and ran for his life.  I know that can happen OCCASIONALLY in the NFL, but you rarely see it happen as much as we did Sunday, and I'd like to know why.

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Anyone else notice the bad spot that went in the steelers favor at the end of the first half.  Dang near 3 extra yds.  I wonder if tomlin would have taken the fg instead of going for it.

Yes...its been discussed and was shown during the game.   And no...I don't think he would've taken the FG because they believe they can get 4 yards against our defense anytime they want and they pretty much did all game long.

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Yes...its been discussed and was shown during the game.   And no...I don't think he would've taken the FG because they believe they can get 4 yards against our defense anytime they want and they pretty much did all game long.

Right....yet all of the talk has been about the dysfunction of the offense, when this defense has been getting shredded lately.

So  WTF is up with that?

9 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Some of it's on Baker not recognizing the package required and changing plays.  I guess where we fundamentally differ is the opinion the coaches didn't care about Baker's health to prove a point about an undrafted free agent left tackle.

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The part I don't understand about the unblocked defenders is that there were many times it was obvious the Steelers were sending people, and we didn't have personnel to block them.  Instead of changing the protection schemes, the play itself, or maybe even taking a timeout, Baker just went ahead with the play.  If there are obvious instances where we're having unblocked defenders, how does our QB and our coaches not figure it out?  I mean, is Baker not allowed to change protections?  Is he not allowed to audible?  If I can see the unblocked defenders, HE can see it, I know that much.  And it wasn't like we had a quick dump-off called, or we had a designed screen.  Baker hiked the ball and ran for his life.  I know that can happen OCCASIONALLY in the NFL, but you rarely see it happen as much as we did Sunday, and I'd like to know why.

Dieken commented on the unblocked defenders- for the most part they were weakside blitzes-that we were clueless on how to stop. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Dieken commented on the unblocked defenders- for the most part they were weakside blitzes-that we were clueless on how to stop. 

The tackles never even saw them coming. On one play the tackle (Harrison?) let the OLB come in completely unblocked while he HELPED the guard block another guy. Total blinders on. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

The tackles never even saw them coming. On one play the tackle (Harrison?) let the OLB come in completely unblocked while he HELPED the guard block another guy. Total blinders on. 

Yeah- I saw plenty of that too. Communication, work as a unit, and all that stuff.   MHO is Harrison has plenty of upside- BUT. 1) At the cost of getting Baker killed? 2) Look at the depth chart- we have damn few other options at this point. 

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah- I saw plenty of that too. Communication, work as a unit, and all that stuff.   MHO is Harrison has plenty of upside- BUT. 1) At the cost of getting Baker killed? 2) Look at the depth chart- we have damn few other options at this point. 

I'm not exactly in a hurry to throw Greg Robinson in there, that's for DANG sure.

Archived