THE BROWNS BOARD

Long term, was keeping Hue for an extra year a smart move for Browns?

Dutch Oven

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Yep, we are 4th in penalty yards behind KC, Pittsburgh and GB.

Reid, Tomilin and McCarthy ... Bad Coaching.

Z

Pitt has played a game less than us too. Than Due to 4 OT games, we lead the league in total plays, not by a small margin either.1432 plays, to closest KC at 1292 plays. We never had WR's that would even attempt to block till Landry arrived. I'll give everyone of them a pass on a flag blocking.Even the G.Williams play physical defensive penalties i can live with..Here's what's odd between Us with KC.........Us 13 holding calls to KC 8.///Us 8 Illegal blocks.KC 2... ST, blocks in back the difference///Us 7 Def.Offside . KC-4///Us 1 OPI.KC=6///Us 6 false starts.KC 11///US  Ill. pick blocks=3,ill.shifts=2, KC has none..The simple mental flags don't look bad compared to KC's false starts.But our defense needs to sit till ball snap..making it about even    

• Dutch Oven changed the title to Long term, was keeping Hue for an extra year a smart move for Browns?
22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Now, I'm sure some of you have had a stroke, or possibly a series of strokes, after reading the title to this thread.  

Consider this though: If you were John Dorsey, trying to right the ship of one of the most poorly-run franchises in pro sports, what would be an easier sell to potential head coaching candidates? 

Taking over a QB-less team who is coming off a record 1-31 stretch after the 2017 season, or taking off a competitive, young team with an established Baker Mayfield after the 2018 season?  In a way, letting Hue take the bullets this season long term might be the best thing for the Browns, even if it sucks for most of us this season. 

No, he had a winless season. You clean house. Change the culture. DET did it. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How Jeff Fisher got as many years as a NFL head coach is one of the great mysteries in life, along with: "What is the purpose of life?", "Where is Jimmy Hoffa bured?" and "What the hell is a Grape Nut?"... And here I thought he was white. 

I see nothing so far this season that would make me think John Dorsey is sitting there going: "You know, I need to see me another season of Hue Jackson"... even though I think Zombo has some good points too. If he makes it the whole season, he'll be let go right after. 

You heard anything on who Dorsey might favor? Maybe whispers from last year or anything? I have no clue. There's a part of me that wouldn't mind Haley. As frustrated as I was with the last game, after I read that film review article, I was less angry with Haley. We had opportunities for big plays and open receivers on almost all of the sacks we took. Baker is just young and didn't fire the ball. My only concern is that our offensive scheme is well-known to be very complex and difficult execute due to the long developing routes and decision making it places on the qb. And if you remember we tried to simplify things in the first half by throwing short passes, and that didn't work at all. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

C'mon man.   Sashi musta' said that......when he let all of our decent players walk.  "We only won 3 game WITH you guys.  We can't do any worse without ya?"   -  People were saying that (on another board, don't think I was on this one then).....and I kept saying, "No, no.  It CAN get worse.  If we don't keep our decent players it WILL get worse."  

You have to walk before you can run.   We've added some good players.  We're actually somewhat competitive.  EVERYTHING cannot be fixed in one offseason.  

We were 1-31.  Zero wins last year.  We couldn't even CRAWL last year.  This year we're already walking.  Perhaps with another good offseason we'll be able to run next year.

Hue holds us back with his gameday decisions.  He throws everyone under the bus and proclaims his status as HC.  He's a walking contradiction.  -  If we win games it will be because THE PLAYERS overcame the opponent, the officials, and Hue.

Obviously I'm venting because it is Steeler week and the focus is on Hue, not the team or the game. I don't want to cut everybody and start over, I think we are finally on the right path ... I just want us to concentrate on getting better. To me, that is not about firing coaches, it's about these NFL coaches helping these players becoming better players this year.

If a new head coach is needed, that decision can be made after the season, no need to focus on it now, these are our horses, let's get better ... let's beat Pittsburgh.

Zombo

--It is a "grab 'em by the facemask" kind of week

images.ashx?file=1109_nclo_da_ivey04_501

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How Jeff Fisher got as many years as a NFL head coach is one of the great mysteries in life...

Not really...

Jeff was a very good DC out of the Buddy Ryan school and when he had a good QB, e.g., Steve McNair, he posted two 13-3 seasons and added a third with Kerry Collins. Overall with McNair he was 81-63 with 23 of those loses coming in McNair's last two season with TN when injuries had him in decline.

That kind of performance tends to keep you employed.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:30 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Consider this though: If you were John Dorsey, trying to right the ship of one of the most poorly-run franchises in pro sports, what would be an easier sell to potential head coaching candidates? 

Taking over a QB-less team who is coming off a record 1-31 stretch after the 2017 season, or taking off a competitive, young team with an established Baker Mayfield after the 2018 season?  In a way, letting Hue take the bullets this season long term might be the best thing for the Browns, even if it sucks for most of us this season. 

Good take, but also have to remember that Dorsey was told who his HC would be when he took the job.

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

It is a "grab 'em by the facemask" kind of week

So.... coaching?

Agree that the attention of many is being unduly diverted from players to Hue, but the reality is that we still are an incomplete squad even were we completely healthy.

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree that the attention of many is being unduly diverted from players to Hue, but the reality is that we still are an incomplete squad even were we completely healthy.

Right, so why's everybody jumping on the Coach's ass if we're not there yet?

Again, Vegas thinks we outperformed five out of seven weeks.

Zombo

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Right, so why's everybody jumping on the Coach's butt if we're not there yet?

Again, Vegas thinks we outperformed five out of seven weeks.

Zombo

Because of his history of incompetence.  I mean its an old saying that it takes a long time to earn trust....and very little to lose it.  And when you have shown to be untrustworthy for a long time, it takes even longer to earn it.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Not really...

Jeff was a very good DC out of the Buddy Ryan school and when he had a good QB, e.g., Steve McNair, he posted two 13-3 seasons and added a third with Kerry Collins. Overall with McNair he was 81-63 with 23 of those loses coming in McNair's last two season with TN when injuries had him in decline.

That kind of performance tends to keep you employed.

He had exactly zero winning seasons in his last seven as head coach. 

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He had exactly zero winning seasons in his last seven as head coach. 

Yup... never got over the hump with Bradford, Foles, Keenum,  Austin Davis and "Sit'n'Learn" Goff as his QBs... but how many HCs have?

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... never got over the hump with Bradford, Foles, Keenum,  Austin Davis and "Sit'n'Learn" Goff as his QBs... but how many HCs have?

He had exactly two winning seasons in his last 10 as head coach. 

I'm glad they kept Hue. I don't think he's great, but he needed to stay to see if he could get the ship pointed in the right direction. There's no way Dorsey or anybody could fix everything in one off season.

A lot of this season so far has been frustrating, with the penalties, stupid turnovers, and officiating. But, the team is generally heading in a positive direction for the most part. The Chargers game was the only lemon....let's hope that's the only one.

If they somehow pull off an upset in Pittsburgh, they're still in the race. Let's enjoy it for what it is....an improved football team. 

10 hours ago, Zombo said:

I'm venting because it is Steeler week and the focus is on Hue, not the team or the game.

1st and goal on the steeler one.  In overtime.  Bubble screen.  We lose.  Thanks to Hue.  

Don't you worry.  I understand the magnitude of steeler week.  

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

1st and goal on the steeler one.  In overtime.  Bubble screen.  We lose.  Thanks to Hue.  

Don't you worry.  I understand the magnitude of steeler week.  

Haley calls the plays.

Hugh has this rookie-laden team in six of seven games down to the gun.

Z

23 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Haley calls the plays.    Now he does.

Hugh has this rookie-laden team in six of seven games down to the gun.  or, The Players have the team in games.

Z

I see Hue as an anchor that the team has to drag along while trying to beat the opponent and the refs.

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

I see Hue as an anchor that the team has to drag along while trying to beat the opponent and the refs.

I see him as the guy coaching the players you are proud of.

When a veteran leaves the Browns and says something bad about Hugh, maybe I'll change my mind.

Right now, riding Joe Thomas over "Orion".

Zombo

1 hour ago, acmikeac said:

If the Browns get blown out by the Steelers (which imho they will), does Hue get fired?

Well, first of all, Dicklicker, they didn't get blown out with Tyrod Taylor, Carlos Hyde and Zane Gonzalez, so why would they get blown out with better players?

Second of all, No. No, Hue is no getting fired, so go ahead and root for the Browns ... even if it makes you feel weird.

Zombo

8 minutes ago, acmikeac said:

Shmuck you, the Steelers are much better now, Shmuck this forum. Between you and ghoolie it’s not worth looking at.

Well, you're the one looking, Bitchtits.

Zombo

--Pretty sure the Steelers are the same team

Last time it took 6 turnovers just for us to get a tie.

I'm hoping for a good competitive game.  The game is actually on TV in my area......but I have to go to a dinner for exactly 1:00pm.  How's that for unphucking lucky?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, Dutch Oven said:

How Jeff Fisher got as many years as a NFL head coach is one of the great mysteries in life, along with: "What is the purpose of life?", "Where is Jimmy Hoffa bured?" and "What the hell is a Grape Nut?"... And here I thought he was white. 

I see nothing so far this season that would make me think John Dorsey is sitting there going: "You know, I need to see me another season of Hue Jackson"... even though I think Zombo has some good points too. If he makes it the whole season, he'll be let go right after. 

I just want this Shmucking nightmare of loss after loss after loss to end. Almost 5 losses for every 2 wins since 1999.

Even the Browns all time NFL record is now a losing record. Only when you factor in the 1940s AAFC league is it still a winning record all time (but not for long if things continue as present)

Old Browns in NFL: 385-286-11 (including playoffs)

New Browns in NFL: 90-221-1 (includes 1 playoff game)

Total NFL: 475-507-12

1940s AAFC: 52-4-3 (including playoffs)

Grand total: 527-511-15

54 minutes ago, huewatch2018 said:

A I just want this Shmucking nightmare of loss after loss after loss to end. Almost 5 losses for every 2 wins since 1999.

Even the Browns all time NFL record is now a losing record. Only when you factor in the 1940s AAFC league is it still a winning record all time (but not for long if things continue as present)

Old Browns in NFL: 385-286-11 (including playoffs)

New Browns in NFL: 90-221-1 (includes 1 playoff game)

Total NFL: 475-507-12

1940s AAFC: 52-4-3 (including playoffs)

Grand total: 527-511-15

That is what bad owners bad GM’s bad head coaches buyyou

Archived