THE BROWNS BOARD

Oakland and Tampa Bay

Zombo

Those losses are going to haunt us...

I can deal with almost beating New Orleans in their house. And I can deal with our young team getting hammered by talent-laden San Diego, bound to have one or two games where we just can't hang. And I can even live with a tie with Pittsburgh in the first game of this era.

But we should have beaten Oakland and Tampa Bay. We should be 4-2-1 and tied with Pittsburgh for first place with the biggest game in over a decade lined up this week.

Dreadful officiating in both of those games. But we have to get good enough that we can overcome that shit when playing the likes of Oakland and Tampa Bay.

We just aren't there yet, and there are probably a few more tough losses coming, and it may cost Hue his job ... but Please just promote from within (Haley) and don't disrupt the offensive and defensive systems we are putting together ... we finally have talent and we are finally good enough to make 6 out of 7 games exciting to the finish ... no more starting over.

I enjoyed seeing everyone in Tampa: Larry, Larry's "Nephew", Flugels, Flugel's date, Russ, and all the Browns Backers ... it was a great day in the sun ... til Fucking Peppers fumbled.

Go Browns!!

Agree.....Browns just haven't learned to win these games yet.   When and how will that come?

Most do not think it will come under this HC.  I tend to agree.

And, yes, it is fair to say that Peppers is not making any of us forget a long line of very good return men the Browns have had in the past, going back to Leroy Kelly, Walter the Flea Roberts, Dino Hall, Gerald the Ice Cube McNeil,  Eric Metcalf, Josh Cribbs,  even Travis Benjamin.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I can deal with almost beating New Orleans in their house. And I can deal with our young team getting hammered by talent-laden San Diego, bound to have one or two games where we just can't hang. And I can even live with a tie with Pittsburgh in the first game of this era.

But we should have beaten Oakland and Tampa Bay. We should be 4-2-1 and tied with Pittsburgh for first place with the biggest game in over a decade lined up this week.

Dreadful officiating in both of those games. But we have to get good enough that we can overcome that Sheet when playing the likes of Oakland and Tampa Bay.

We just aren't there yet, and there are probably a few more tough losses coming, and it may cost Hue his job ... but Please just promote from within (Haley) and don't disrupt the offensive and defensive systems we are putting together ... we finally have talent and we are finally good enough to make 6 out of 7 games exciting to the finish ... no more starting over.

I enjoyed seeing everyone in Tampa: Larry, Larry's "Nephew", Flugels, Flugel's date, Russ, and all the Browns Backers ... it was a great day in the sun ... til Shmucking Peppers fumbled.

Go Browns!!

The team is better, just not showing it in the win column yet. One play away in two games. Hyde inches short, Baker makes the QB sneak, it's a different outcome. Fluke backward fumble and a plethora of bad calls. 

I can't blame Peppers, he was trying to make something happen, other than that, he had a good game. 

Always great meeting up with you John, got to enjoy a couple more days of summer there in Florida too. 

We tied the Steelers last time, no reason we can't beat them this time. PS the post game stuff on Tampa radio was disgusting. Like, it was only the Browns, as if they're Super Bowl material. 

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

Dreadful officiating in both of those games. But we have to get good enough that we can overcome that Sheet when playing the likes of Oakland and Tampa Bay.

I enjoyed seeing everyone in Tampa: Larry, Larry's "Nephew", Flugels, Flugel's date, Russ, and all the Browns Backers ... it was a great day in the sun ... til Shmucking Peppers fumbled.

Go Browns!!

Agreed Z, and it's about time we win close games. The refs need to be more neutral, and Hue needs to figure out how to close. If he can't close games, he shouldn't be coach. He can blame Haley all he wants in pressers, but ultimately, his decisions help lead up to IF we close or not. Throwing anyone under the bus won't save Hue's job anymore. Only winning will.

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

Go Browns!!

Nice post!

With those two losses I've pretty much given up on us having a run at the playoffs.  And we have to face it, we don't yet have the receiving corps to win consistently.

I don't want Hue here (don't like his game-day coaching.  he's always throwing people under the bus, (doesn't know enough to keep his mouth shut to the media about stuff)).  But if Haley is promoted, do we need a new OC?  If so, the offensive playbook will change again.

We need continuity.  Jimmy now knows that.  I wish we didn't have to change out the HC.  But I feel that we need to.  (if we lose to Pittsburgh?   Perhaps...)

18 hours ago, ATOM said:

off topic but with phorah brown being activated from the ps we now have 5 tight ends on the active roster Why ?

Good question.  I don't know.  But, if we have 3-4 TEs in the game at the same time, our short passing game should work to sustain long drives.

These two losses have haunted me more than any others.  I really felt like we won the Oakland game, in fact, many say we did.  After the measurement was made, and we got the first down, I ran around my house to celebrate, like I've said before.  My dog went nuts, my wife was screaming and cheering, and it was so fun.  Then to have that measurement come back against us, to see we're up by 8, and to know beyond all doubt that we were going to lose no matter what.  That was so...so...deflating.  That's the word, deflating.  Then I got so excited in the Bucs game, thinking we were going to win it (or tie at the worst), and then...the fumble.  I mean, deflating is JUST the word.  I just felt like somebody let all the air out of me.  I didn't even watch the kick.  I knew it was in.  Forget the other games for a moment.  We win these two, and it's a TOTALLY different season.  A different feel, different topics of conversation, different outlook.  

Now?  I have that sickening feeling coming back.  The one we ALL know too well.  The feeling of the wheels about to COMPLETELY come off, the coach getting fired, or a coordinator getting fired, or players saying stupid comments, and whatever else you can think of.  We've seen it MANY times, and I'm scared to death of that.  What's the one thing that could tip the scale all the way to "wheels coming off"?  Probably getting your azz whipped by the Steelers, and we play them this Sunday in Pittsburgh.  *gulp*

I hope I'm wrong, and if we do lose, it's not a season death knell.  We have a lot of young players to watch this year, they can grow a lot, and even if we're not going to have a great win/loss year, maybe we can still have fun watching the development of our young bucks.  But nobody is going to grow if it turns into the crap-fest we've seen before.  We have to keep it together, and a win this weekend would go a long way to binding this team.  I don't see it happening, but I've been wrong before.  Just ask my wife, she'll tell ya!

I don’t buy into this notion we have to get better to overcome the refs.  Fact of the matter is that the pats Stiller green bay saints rams don’t deal with blatant missed call holding by the other team not called and improper enforcement of rules.  In other words they get those calls.  So when your driving and your q.v. takes a hit to the head and the pentelty they get the call that puts them into fg range. Or when the other team is driving and your defensive tackle, tackles the qb in the flat he doesn’t get flagged for ruffing or when your players go to make a tackle and gets dragged down and the runners goes around him they get that holding call so the refs and winning go hand and hand.  I don’t want calls I just want the games called fair and correct

8 minutes ago, Babernakle said:

I don’t buy into this notion we have to get better to overcome the refs.  Fact of the matter is that the pats Stiller green bay saints rams don’t deal with blatant missed call holding by the other team not called and improper enforcement of rules.  In other words they get those calls.  So when your driving and your q.v. takes a hit to the head and the pentelty they get the call that puts them into fg range. Or when the other team is driving and your defensive tackle, tackles the qb in the flat he doesn’t get flagged for ruffing or when your players go to make a tackle and gets dragged down and the runners goes around him they get that holding call so the refs and winning go hand and hand.  I don’t want calls I just want the games called fair and correct

Green Bay had 2 weeks in a row of bad roughing the passer calls, the first of which negated an INT that would've ended the game.   Dallas just last week got a bogus "moving the ball" penalty called on them on the game tying FG try and moved the kick back 5 yards.   The Rams just last weekend had a pass that was completed outside the end zone by the 49ers called a TD for SF.  So there's 4 different examples of bad calls going against teams that are much better than the Browns.   In the GB and Dallas examples, it did cost GB one game as the game would;ve been over if not for the bad call and in Dallas, the FG ended up hitting the upright from 52, sure looks like it would've gone through from 47 without the bogus call.

There is no conspiracy against the Browns by the officials or the league.  There are bad calls in every game.  I just gave you 4 examples right off the top of my head without even trying and that's just from games that I was watching when it happened.  

Archived