THE BROWNS BOARD

Patrick Peterson requests trade

LondonBrown

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But he's under contract, as was pointed out. Would the Cards take a lesser deal, just to make him happy? Our first round pick will be way better than the Saints should Dorsey think it's worth giving up that much.

What would the Cards want for him?   As a defensive back.....he is probably as good at is position as Khalil Mack is at his....and they got TWO first round picks for him.

I suspect the Cardinals could say:   that (the Mack deal)  set the market price.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What would the Cards want for him?   As a defensive back.....he is probably as good at is position as Khalil Mack is at his....and they got TWO first round picks for him.

I suspect the Cardinals could say:   that (the Mack deal)  set the market price.

Two firsts is too much. Will the Cards want to go to full rebuild mode like the Raiders? Stay tuned.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Dixon/Minnifield are the couple of defenders that started all the dawg pound thing?

Sort of...

Dixon was the Daddy dawg. Started barking to psych himself up and then took it into the games celebrating plays, etc.

Hanford posed for a poster titled "Dogs of the Defense". IIRC he was in a white suit with 3 or 4 Afghans on leashes. Wish I could show it to you, but it never shows up in google searches.

From there came the Dawg Pound in old Municipal Stadium's bleachers...

NFL Films does a series of "Top Ten" this and thats. One episode was "Top Ten Cornerback Tandems". Dixon-Minniefield were #2 only behind Oakland's Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes.

Here's the clip on our duo. At the 3:24 mark there's a stat comment that is one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard:

"In 1987 only seven passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon."

Enuff said...

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

But he's under contract, as was pointed out. Would the Cards take a lesser deal, just to make him happy? Our first round pick will be way better than the Saints should Dorsey think it's worth giving up that much.

Nonetheless the risk is another Bowe or Britt just looking for a last good contract without producing.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe, Debatable.  I will still take 2 good DBs.

But, you may be right.  We had the best DBs in the game back in the day....Dixon/Minniefield......and they could not stop The Drive.

A lot of places will tell you it's QB, Pass Rusher, LT with WR and CB coming in after. It's a passing league. You need a guy that can pass,, a guy to sack the guy that passes, a guy to protect the guy that passes, a guy to catch the ball, and a guy to stop people from catching the ball. 

53 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

A lot of places will tell you it's QB, Pass Rusher, LT with WR and CB coming in after. It's a passing league. You need a guy that can pass,, a guy to sack the guy that passes, a guy to protect the guy that passes, a guy to catch the ball, and a guy to stop people from catching the ball. 

And on top of that, you need more than one guy to stop people from catching the ball.

Being a pass-happy league, you need about 5 of those guys to cover well. The corner #2(T.Mitch get healthy please🙏), safeties, and linebackers.

Sh%#, Tampa had good ole’ Carl Nassib dropping back in coverage.

19 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well....which of those do we have?  A promising  rookie QB still learning.  A supposedly elite pass rusher (but...is he?)  LT...shaky.  WRs...one good possession guy...and the rest? Shaky.   CB. One promising rookie still learning.  

A really great pair of CBs can make a pass rush seem a whole lot better.   Just like having a QB that makes snap decisions and quick throws makes an OL look better.

2 hours ago, darren15 said:

I would offer them a #2 in 2019 and a #2 in 2020 instead of a #1 in 2019

That's basically like a #3 and a #4 now.

One would think that Pgh would try hard to trade for Peterson, as their CBs are so awful. Dumbass Bell keeps freeing up more money for them by not reporting, so maybe they could do it. They seem to draft WRs very well but haven’t drafted and developed a decent DB in years (example Artie Burnt). I really doubt they have the cojones to try to pull this off.

It’s like buying gasoline and food after a hurricane, you overpay but demand is greater than supply. Some contender will give Arizona a fat draft pick for him because this could put them over the top. Nice to dream but not a realistic move for the Browns. Peterson is signed through 2020 and I don’t see the Browns contending in that window.

2 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

One would think that Pgh would try hard to trade for Peterson, as their CBs are so awful. Dumbass Bell keeps freeing up more money for them by not reporting, so maybe they could do it. They seem to draft WRs very well but haven’t drafted and developed a decent DB in years (example Artie Burnt). I really doubt they have the cojones to try to pull this off.

It’s like buying gasoline and food after a hurricane, you overpay but demand is greater than supply. Some contender will give Arizona a fat draft pick for him because this could put them over the top. Nice to dream but not a realistic move for the Browns. Peterson is signed through 2020 and I don’t see the Browns contending in that window.

Fuyuck Pittsburg and what you think they should do.    It is every bit as realistic for the Browns as it is them.  Who is to say that a good player like him could not put the Browns over the top?

Mainly, what I see the Browns needing on defense is a solid leader, which despite having Garrett, Ward, Schobert et al, I do not see them having.  Peterson could be that leader for this defense. 

Plus, I believe that the Browns have much more cap space to afford him.   Not sure the Pissants have any. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Fuyuck Pittsburg and what you think they should do.    It is every bit as realistic for the Browns as it is them.  Who is to say that a good player like him could not put the Browns over the top?

Mainly, what I see the Browns needing on defense is a solid leader, which despite having Garrett, Ward, Schobert et al, I do not see them having.  Peterson could be that leader for this defense. 

Plus, I believe that the Browns have much more cap space to afford him.   Not sure the Pissants have any. 

Dang Gipper you sure have a hair trigger. Calm down, you might have a stroke or something. 

7 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Dang Gipper you sure have a hair trigger. Calm down, you might have a stroke or something. 

Why should we promote the success of those arsebags east of here?   Let them suckass.  As far as I am concerned the ONLY advantage they have on the Browns are essentially 2 players and 2 coaches:   BR and AB  (now that Bell is out),   and Mike Tomlin (not hard to be better than Hue)....and Mike Munchak (who is mostly responsible for the success of their O Line)

If the Browns got Peterson, he would be an elite player for them.   I don't have any interest in the Squibs obtaining any elite players, which Peterson is.  If not the Browns, let him go to the Saints where he wants to go.

20 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Agree... Steelers are one of a handful of teams where Peterson's impact could pay short-term dividends, but you'd think if they were shopping the trade market, then MLB would be their primary interest.

1 hour ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Yes that too. Uncannily bad drafting and developing LBs. 

Ummmm... not since the 70's.

Just haven't filled the hole Shazier left.

Archived