THE BROWNS BOARD

As Cleveland Browns fans...

5 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Hue Jackson will not be fired.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/10/23/cleveland-browns-hue-jackson-says-job-safe/

Jackson was given a long-term commitment by Haslam, possibly 5 years to produce a dynasty. Again, take it from the king of this board, the one who teaches you all....Hue is here for awhile. If he gets fired during the bye week or before, I will jump in Lake Erie wearing lipstick and pantyhose.

In the NFL, isn’t the vote of confidence about the same as the kiss of death?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, sort of.    The name I suggested on another thread was Mike Munchak.  Others had other names.

But if you want a thread like that...just start one. No one stopping you.

Yeah, I know. I guess I saw I see the Fire Hue Jackson thread and think that might be the place to go. Munchak is interesting though. 

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Hue Jackson will not be fired.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/10/23/cleveland-browns-hue-jackson-says-job-safe/

Jackson was given a long-term commitment by Haslam, possibly 5 years to produce a dynasty. Again, take it from the king of this board, the one who teaches you all....Hue is here for awhile. If he gets fired during the bye week or before, I will jump in Lake Erie wearing lipstick and pantyhose.

Now we will hold you to that🤠

It’s good these owners have sense and have the ability to block out the outside noise. 

You would think year after year, with a revolving door for head coaches, that we as fans would have it figured out by now.

I just wonder how it’s gonna for us fans when Hue does/doesn’t get fired 🧐

13 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

It’s good these owners have sense and have the ability to block out the outside noise. 

You would think year after year, with a revolving door for head coaches, that we as fans would have it figured out by now.

I just wonder how it’s gonna for us fans when Hue does/doesn’t get fired 🧐

Well, that is up to the individual fan, isn't it? Browns fans are zealots and often create their own fake reality, so when actual reality hits they fabricate all kind of crap to save face for being so far off base.

Case.in point, Hoorta and Flugel actually thoughts Haley and Williams (coffee fetchers) were brought in to keep Hue in check.

Now Haley is in jeopardy, and if Williams D doesn't stop the bleeding, he will be in the hot seat as well.

Look at the logic, my friend. It really implies heavily.that Hue is not going anywhere, any time soon.

1) 3 Years Ago Hue was the hottest HC prospect in the NFL. When he came to Cleveland he held ALL THE CARDS. Haslam/the Browns were in a bad place with a bad reputation for not sticking with coaches.

Do you not see the high probability that Hue made sure he had some longevity BEFORE he agreed to come here? 

2) If you are firing a guy you do it at 1-31.

3) You don' t get a new OC, DC and #1 Qb and then fire a HC leaving everyone in limbo. It just isn't done.

4) Hue is 2-4-1 with a Steeler tie and a win over the Ravens. Excitement and i terest in the Browns is high and most feel the Browns are improved and will win 4 or 5 games

You don't fire a HC who takes you from 0 wins to 5 in 1 year.

Hue is safe.

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Well, that is up to the individual fan, isn't it? Browns fans are zealots and often create their own fake reality, so when actual reality hits they fabricate all kind of crap to save face for being so far off base.

Now Haley is in jeopardy, and if Williams D doesn't stop the bleeding, he will be in the hot seat as well.

Look at the logic, my friend. It really implies heavily.that Hue is not going anywhere, any time soon.

I just think fans of any fan base can’t handle losing and want to place blame on coaches for not getting Ws, when in reality, our coaches are coaching a lot of high level college atheletes with limited NFL gameday WINNING experience.

Yes, Haley makes some questionable calls, so hopefully HC Jackson will step in and “override” or “veto” some play selections, especially in critical situations.

And tbh, I think G. Williams is blitz happy, but I do like the type of coach he is and I don’t wanna see anybody fired until next year at the least. 

Besides some of the referees. Lol (Hugo Cruz)

42 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I just think fans of any fan base can’t handle losing and want to place blame on coaches for not getting Ws, when in reality, our coaches are coaching a lot of high level college atheletes with limited NFL gameday WINNING experience.

Yes, Haley makes some questionable calls, so hopefully HC Jackson will step in and “override” or “veto” some play selections, especially in critical situations.

And tbh, I think G. Williams is blitz happy, but I do like the type of coach he is and I don’t wanna see anybody fired until next year at the least. 

Besides some of the referees. Lol (Hugo Cruz)

All valid points. I just don't see Hue being fired anytime soon. Certainly not this season.

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

All valid points. I just don't see Hue being fired anytime soon. Certainly not this season.

IF the BROWNS do not beat pizzburgh they will be 2-5-1 half way through the season good chance then they will NOT win 5 or more Hue will be gone if any good candidate comes along probably even before week 15 or 16......if available, for sure as the playoffs move along.

But he is a nice guy.

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

IF the BROWNS do not beat pizzburgh they will be 2-5-1 half way through the season good chance then they will NOT win 5 or more Hue will be gone if any good candidate comes along probably even before week 15 or 16......if available, for sure as the playoffs move along.

So... a fired NFL retread?

No, thanks...

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So... a fired NFL retread?

No, thanks...

It's a tough call either way but when do you say enough is enough and try to bring on another coach......if available...... or try yet another season with a super young team and the same HC.

In 2 1/2 seadons they're looking at 3 wins IF they wait until next year with no improvement they might have 5 or 6 total wins in 3 years. One thing for sure they will not compete in 2018 and may in 2019 with a good draft and other position magic. Maybe more decent candidates might actually consider Cleveland. 

They started 2-4-1 not 4-2-1 and a tough schedule left, I have no problem with a HC job search beginning whenever. (oh I'm not available, prior commitments :lol:).

I guessed 5-10-1 before the season, I hope they can hit that.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:06 PM, The Gipper said:

How would you have a clue other than your own opinion based on nothing 

Just like yours? He (Munchak) was pretty mediocre as a head coach of the Titans. Record not appreciably better than either Haley or Williams in that regard. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

An awful lot of "fired NFL retreads" went on to become pretty good coaches.  Let's start with Bill Belichick.    Andy Reid, Chuck Knox,  Dan Reeves. Mike Shanahan.  Jon Gruden.  Etc.

Once they've won somewhere else, they don't win again with a new team.

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Once they've won somewhere else, they don't win again with a new team.

Do you mean a championship?  Or Championship contending:

Parcells took both the Giants and Pats to the SB.

Reeves took the Broncos, then the Falcons to the SB.

Marty had both the Chiefs and Chargers in contention.

Knox had muliple division titles with the Rams, and an even better winning pct. with the Seahawks.

Weeb Ewbank won titles with both the Colts and the Jets! (maybe the only guy to do so)

D-ick Vermeil lost a SB with the Eagles...and won one with the Rams.

I guess you have to establish the parameters of what you mean by "winning".

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do you mean a championship?  Or Championship contending:

Parcells took both the Giants and Pats to the SB.

Reeves took the Broncos, then the Falcons to the SB.

Marty had both the Chiefs and Chargers in contention.

Knox had muliple division titles with the Rams, and an even better winning pct. with the Seahawks.

Weeb Ewbank won titles with both the Colts and the Jets! (maybe the only guy to do so)

finger Vermeil lost a SB with the Eagles...and won one with the Rams.

I guess you have to establish the parameters of what you mean by "winning".

Winning a championship.   Only 2 in history have done it with two different franchises.    

Say no to retreads.  Find the next young Sean McVey and let him and Baker win a lot of games for the next decade together.

9 hours ago, Mark O said:

Winning a championship.   Only 2 in history have done it with two different franchises.    

Say no to retreads.  Find the next young Sean McVey and let him and Baker win a lot of games for the next decade together.

There was Eubanks and then who was the other?

On 10/22/2018 at 5:31 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I totally agree and think we should’ve taken the points, but at that point in the game, I can understand why an offensive minded guy would want more than 3 points. It just didn’t make sense because our offense had 0 momentum in the first half.

That’s why he’s the HC, to get questioned for calls like that. And to handle it. Which is what he does relatively well.

Hopefully next time, he takes the points. 

I think back to the most recent Superbowl where if Philly played for the easier points via FGs - they don't win the Superbowl.  Then I remember the only time Brees won a Superbowl.  The huge game changer was a big gamble where the Saints tried an onside kick, recovered it and never looked back...  There's 2 examples of "No guts - no glory" mentalities that paid off. 

At the time of the decision, we were down 16-2 with a very doable opportunity to get the first down. A very WELL LIKED Baker scrambles and just when it looks like he's made us a first down - having the ball unsecured in the wrong arm allows the defender to dislodge the football. The ball travels backward and lands out of bounds shy of the first down.  Hind sight 20/20 says the decision was a BAD one.  That said, if a guy that has played QB since he was a little kid remembers to secure the ball in his arm closest to the sideline in the heat of the moment - we have a 1st and 10 at about the 11 yard line with 13 seconds left.  Now we still have another shot or 2 for a TD before settling for the FG. We had the guts for glory that got intercepted by no brain no gain.  So, who do we assign the brain fart to?  The well liked Baker Mayfield or the frequently despised Hue Jackson?  I know what's easier; but growing pains of a rookie QB are an inevitable part of winning in the future. Look no further than Peyton Manning throwing 28 INTs or Troy Aikman's forgettable rookie season or Jim Kelly winning only 4 games in Buffalo. 

This is the type of unlucky season our young guys are experiencing though. Against New Orleans we tried/settled for all the kicks (missing 2 extra points and 2 FGs). Against Pittsburgh, we tackled a 260 lb QB too hard outside of the pocket; so, instead of them setting for 3 points they get 7.  That 4 point swing gifted Pitt to OT where our game winning FG attempt at the end got blocked from a very low kick (although they missed a doable FG as well before that).  Speaking of how much that hit on the QB mattered in the 4 point swing favoring Pitt - how much would 15 more yards tacked onto Baker's run in Tampa mattered if they didn't pick up the flag thrown by the closest official to the penalty? Even the Carr fumble the black and silver allowed that the black and white refused to allow - have all led to the 4 or 5 meaningless apology letters sent by the league. Despite all that and some unfortunate injuries to very key players (that a team coming off 0-16 football can ill-afford) - this young team continues to show up and battle for 60 minutes or more in spite of it all.  While there is no such thing as moral victories - think of how many teams we've had here since 1999 that quit after the first adversity (sometimes as early as losing the coin toss). I WANT playoffs as bad as the next guy; but there's way too many new faces in this year's influx reminding us chemistries need to grow while growing pains need to decrease. 

IMO, we're almost there.  I'm surprised to be saying our biggest problem up front isn't LT - it's RT.  As for the play makers, we're 1 WR shy of a reliable balance at this time (maybe when Higgins returns this improves).  On defense, I'm still surprised they cut a pretty damn good run defender like Jamie Meder especially considering how much Coley's high ankle sprain has appeared to have affected his leverage and pad height. He doesn't look like the same guy I saw last year at all. Other than that, injuries to guys playing extremely well like Schobert and Mitchell have been very unfortunate.  And then Mitchell's backup (Gaines) played well before going out with a concussion.  In spite of it all, the attitude of this team is they continue to think they can win; because they have given themselves chances to win every game but 1 this year.  The more they grow and develop alongside our confident young QB - the more these types of games starting becoming victories IMO.

In reply to some of the debate about firing the HC. Pettine started off 7-4 in 2014 in spite of numerous injuries which looked like pretty long job security ahead until...  He finished 3-18 in his last 21 games.  When that type of about-face slide takes place - you're gonna lose veteran buy in and some guys start quitting or coming up with Josh Gordonesque soft tissue injuries they don't have to play with.  When you slide that far to the extent the team quits on you - you're a dead man walking.

The biggest thing Hue had in his favor was Jimmy fired Shurmur after only 4-6 games or so under his ownership.  2 thumbs up for that one IMO!  Then he only gave Chud 1 season. Then he gave Pettine 2 years, which caused sports media everywhere and several NFL Consultants Jimmy looked to - to advise him firing HCs too quickly all the time gives his franchise the foundation of quick sand nothing can be built upon.

When Hue came along, Jimmy had been pressured from enough people to agree to give Hue 3 pitches to swing at. As we know, the first 2 strikes were big swings and misses.  I'm not convinced at all Jimmy's quick trigger to fire people is suddenly ecstatic with keeping a guy that started off 1-31 here.  IMO, that's why he hired an experienced FO guy like Dorsey in case Hue needs to be fired this year.  Hear me out.  This time, if everything goes South, the public sees Dorsey initiating the firing of Hue.  Even more sensible, the guy doing the firing only wants to do such a thing if there's a hiring criteria in place that seeks to upgrade what he actually just fired (as outrageous as it is to type something like that). 

In saying all that, what's keeping Hue here today?   Like the 4 OT games remind us, it takes at least 60 minutes and the apparent need for 4-5 apology letters from the league to beat this team.  For now, that's a big enough improvement to warrant a let's see what direction this team goes the rest of the year.  If this team doesn't win more than 5 or 6 games, Hue will be fired.  If there's a couple back to back games where we get rat-housed like we did against San Diego - Gregg Williams will be our Interim Head Coach lighting fannies.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I think back to the most recent Superbowl where if Philly played for the easier points via FGs - they don't win the Superbowl.  Then I remember the only time Brees won a Superbowl.  The huge game changer was a big gamble where the Saints tried an onside kick, recovered it and never looked back...  There's 2 examples of "No guts - no glory" mentalities that paid off. 

At the time of the decision, we were down 16-2 with a very doable opportunity to get the first down. A very WELL LIKED Baker scrambles and just when it looks like he's made us a first down - having the ball unsecured in the wrong arm allows the defender to dislodge the football. The ball travels backward and lands out of bounds shy of the first down.  Hind sight 20/20 says the decision was a BAD one.  That said, if a guy that has played QB since he was a little kid remembers to secure the ball in his arm closest to the sideline in the heat of the moment - we have a 1st and 10 at about the 11 yard line with 13 seconds left.  Now we still have another shot or 2 for a TD before settling for the FG. We had the guts for glory that got intercepted by no brain no gain.  So, who do we assign the brain fart to?  The well liked Baker Mayfield or the frequently despised Hue Jackson?  I know what's easier; but growing pains of a rookie QB are an inevitable part of winning in the future. Look no further than Peyton Manning throwing 28 INTs or Troy Aikman's forgettable rookie season or Jim Kelly winning only 4 games in Buffalo. 

This is the type of unlucky season our young guys are experiencing though.

I never meant to “blame” Hue for not taking the points. I was just explaining my logic as to why we should’ve taken the 3 in that situation.

I am totally for being aggressive minded as an offense and score score score, but sometimes the offense just isn’t clicking, and your defense is barely keeping you in the game.

It was kind of a slap to the face for the defense, to get a turnover, only to have the offense come up with ZERO points.

I can understand why it’s an “easy” call to make, with a guy like Baker at QB.

But when you watch Mayfield’s presser, he literally says “ANY POINTS ARE GOOD POINTS”....  which almost seemed like a shot fired at Coach Hue.

Just now, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I never meant to “blame” Hue for not taking the points. I was just explaining my logic as to why we should’ve taken the 3 in that situation.

I am totally for being aggressive minded as an offense and score score score, but sometimes the offense just isn’t clicking, and your defense is barely keeping you in the game.

It was kind of a slap to the face for the defense, to get a turnover, only to have the offense come up with ZERO points.

I can understand why it’s an “easy” call to make, with a guy like Baker at QB.

But when you watch Mayfield’s presser, he literally says “ANY POINTS ARE GOOD POINTS”....  which almost seemed like a shot at the head coach.

No worries. None of that is your fault.  You actually did a great job defending your point of view and I agree with a lot of what you are saying above.

All that said, if Baker just holds the ball in his outside arm (closest to the sideline) - he makes that first down with 13 seconds left for 1 or 2 passes before time would have dictated we needed to settle for the FG. 

This is to everyone. Like it or not, that game boiled down to 2 different short yardage situations where we came up with 0 points in both of those possessions.  1 time, we had 2 plays from the 1 yard line against a defense (without it's only Pro Bowl DT - McCoy) and they stopped us both times.  The other time, Baker fumbled away what would have been a 1st down at the 11 with 13 seconds left.  Like Zombo said in another thread about firing the HC - SOMETIMES we have to give our well paid professionals some credit for the lack of execution rather than hiding behind/defaulting everything to just Hue.  Last time I looked, Bitonio, Zeitler and Tretter are making enough cake to the extent we should get at least 1 yard in 2 attempts against a defense that has struggled against everyone but Cleveland. 

Greg Williams will be on thin ice at 2-6-1. He will never be HC in Cleveland. Not in any capacity. He is a loser.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:49 PM, The Gipper said:

Now we will hold you to that🤠

Nope, the only thing he (Ghoolie) is being held to is no trolling.  Enjoy the Ghoolie free weekend (again) brought to you by the Mods.  

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Greg Williams will be on thin ice at 2-6-1. He will never be HC in Cleveland. Not in any capacity. He is a loser.

^^^ Flamebait thinly disguised as personal opinion. Nothing to back it up. We're hoping it's getting through his thick head, isn't worth his time posting crap. 

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nope, the only thing he (Ghoolie) is being held to is no trolling.  Enjoy the Ghoolie free weekend (again) brought to you by the Mods.  

^^^ Flamebait thinly disguised as personal opinion. Nothing to back it up. We're hoping it's getting through his thick head, isn't worth his time posting crap. 

Not all heroes wear capes. :)

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Classic stuff!

Archived