THE BROWNS BOARD

FIRST AID/ EMERGENCY/ SURVIVAL KIT, a very unusual combo for less than $24.

mjp28

FIRST AID/ EMERGENCY/ SURVIVAL KIT, a very unusual combo for less than $24.

I've always been prepared since my Boy Scout days, always had first aid kits in our car, garage, house, barn. Always had a good plastic tool box in our car but this is an unusual one I saw on Amazon. 268 pcs for $23.99.

I occassionally put my own ones together or stuff an existing one but this is interesting.

Screenshot_2018-10-20-11-17-45.png

Tips for a car trunk plastic tool box, I got a relatively cheap plastic tool box (quiet), good snap closer, buy a few cheap dollar store or used screwdrivers,  wrenches, socket set, tape measure, etc. tools to put in it. Get various rolls of tape, duct tape, friction tape (hoses), clamps, flashlights, small first aid kit, reflective tape, hammers, rubber mallot, (cheap) channelocks, nails, screws in small bottles, etc.......use your imagination.

Stuff the box with rags or shop towels for use and to sound proof the whole box. It comes in handy for roadside emergencies, picnics, visiting people with NO TOOLS you know the type. Over the years it's come in real handy.  

BE PREPARED!  ;)

it can be a disaster to not be prepared. assuming nothing is ever going to happen - is a bad assumption when disaster strikes.

or just a bit of trouble. Like making sure you have a jack and handle, and spare tire, just in case that rare flat tire ever happens....

If I can find it online - btw, a guy traveled around Europe, and a lot of people in different countries lamented they never had

a 2nd Amendment. Kept saying "Tell Americans to never let this happen to them".

The fishhooks would be useless to me. As I tell people all the time, "When I go fishing I don't catch fish and nobody with me does either." In fact I catch more fish on the poly board than I ever caught in real life.🐠😜

But on the more serious side, when I hike the backcountry I am prepared for just about anything I can think of in advance. Even know how to convert a hiking stick into splint in case I break a leg in a fall or something. Plus emergency weather stuff to fabricate a quick shelter if needed in a bad storm. Those can blow up out of nowhere in the Rockies.

And if I'm there in winter months I am ready for whiteout snowstorms even though I know the trails well to get back down them with very little visibility. I take snowshoes along just in case.

when I go out back in our woods, and it's really cold, I take a couple different ways to start a fire. and my cell phone - who knows though, maybe it gets broken in a fall - or in a wind, a widow maker goes down and pins you to the ground. You can't get to your cell phone - it just makes sense to dress for the weather, know survival techniques and have the survival tools if you do find yourself/yourselves, in a bind.

I don't have all the equipment I want in my bug-out bag - running out of room. Need first aid stuff/trauma kit.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

when I go out back in our woods, and it's really cold, I take a couple different ways to start a fire. and my cell phone - who knows though, maybe it gets broken in a fall - or in a wind, a widow maker goes down and pins you to the ground. You can't get to your cell phone - it just makes sense to dress for the weather, know survival techniques and have the survival tools if you do find yourself/yourselves, in a bind.

I don't have all the equipment I want in my bug-out bag - running out of room. Need first aid stuff/trauma kit.

Hey cal how much woods do you have there anyway? You obviously have enough land to grow things you want to and build a nice shooting range. But since you've talked about squirrel hunting I figure you must have a few acres of woods too. Color me envious. I can't get the wife to move to more acres even though we really don't interact with neighbors much. I've never figured her out. Texas Veteran's Land Board has a good program to buy 10 acres and I'd do so with nothing but woods to carve out a place for a home. But she's funny that way. F'n city girls? At least she likes to visit with my brother and his wife in Estes about a month out of every year where I have the whole outdoors. I was raised with access my grandparents 70 acre place which was about 1/2 woods. Loved going there for 2-3 weeks every summer and for Xmas vacations every year. Once you've enjoyed the quiet and solitude of the great outdoors, it never really leaves your blood. I was one of the few people who had no problem with the backwaters of Vietnam. Never a time when I didn't know exactly where I was on a map. Of course that's an absolute necessity if you want to call in artillery support without blowing yourself up.😁

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The fishhooks would be useless to me. As I tell people all the time, "When I go fishing I don't catch fish and nobody with me does either." In fact I catch more fish on the poly board than I ever caught in real life.🐠😜

I remember as a kid we had a big stocked lake behind us, I found a nice 3 pc. bamboo pole with a cracked tip.....I fixed it and hid it with hooks, line, bobblers, weights, stringers, etc.....all the worms were there. Always carried a nice knife.

I'd occassionally hike at the lake and stop and fish -but- you better have a lot of time on your hands to catch dinner that way. Hooks take very little space and would probably last you 50 years.

about 14/15 acres. Next to it is about another 12 acres of beautiful woods, and way out back is corn/soyfield field and woods.

I usually see deer when I go out. Once a year ago, Wife and I walked out, and saw 11 deer walking across the back corner of our woods. I see two or three at a time easily. Years ago - the squirrels were poached out, and deer poaching across our woods was a problem.

Not anymore. I've been out there so much during deer and squirrel season nobody bothers to try it. Now we have fox squirrels all over our woods. Time for squirrel and dumplings, like the old days when Dad and I would sit out in our 147 acres virgin timber and watch wildlife walk or fly by. Two years ago, I walked ...silently - learned from my Dad when I was a kid... so much about loving the outdoors...about 2/3rds of the way back into our woods, and I just stood there watching a few squirrels. I was looking around in the trees, and saw the bow hunter that hunts over on the neigbor's property up in his tree stand facing away from me. So, I just stood there about 20 mins, when it was getting a bit dusk, and he went to climb down. He saw me and was laughing - he couldn't believe I walked that far, all the way up there, and he didn't hear me at all.

When my Wife was visiting her Dad in Texas, I have gone out there and just spent hours at a time. The big land way out back behind ours was bought up by a local farmer's family - no more poachers. I'm good with that.

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But on the more serious side, when I hike the backcountry I am prepared for just about anything I can think of in advance. Even know how to convert a hiking stick into splint in case I break a leg in a fall or something. Plus emergency weather stuff to fabricate a quick shelter if needed in a bad storm. Those can blow up out of nowhere in the Rockies.

And if I'm there in winter months I am ready for whiteout snowstorms even though I know the trails well to get back down them with very little visibility. I take snowshoes along just in case.

Or you could stay home and play on the computer. :lol:

It's so nice to go out in all seasons! Where I grew up was so nice with two big fishing lakes 4 and 10 miles in diameter and miles and miles of old growth forests that my dad hiked when he was a kid born in 1921. Grandpa settled there about 1906 with NO utilities, Tough guys! We had a nice little barn with a hayloft too, tons of kid fun. Scouting was great too in the 1960s.

In 1950 when I was born we had that great blizzard dad made snow shoes and hiked to the store to get supplies that we did not can.

Wife and I were over at Lowes the other day - and I found a large green frost-proof bush cover, with drawstring, for a dollar at the clearance section.

I nabbed that sucker. It's big. It goes with my survival gear. You could fill it with leaves, or the seeds from cattail stem tops the brown part taken apart) and make a sleeping bag or mattress. It's plenty big to help make a small shelter. It could also be used in first aid - making a splint or sling, keeping the chill off someone, a sunshade, a camo-conceal cover, windbreak, a food bag to tie up and put up into the air to avoid bears...

that is all I can think of right now. I caught a cold, so I'm not painting edges at the flip house - the Browns come on at one.

I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:49 AM, mjp28 said:

Tips for a car trunk plastic tool box, I got a relatively cheap plastic tool box (quiet), good snap closer, buy a few cheap dollar store or used screwdrivers,  wrenches, socket set, tape measure, etc. tools to put in it. Get various rolls of tape, duct tape, friction tape (hoses), clamps, flashlights, small first aid kit, reflective tape, hammers, rubber mallot, (cheap) channelocks, nails, screws in small bottles, etc.......use your imagination.

Stuff the box with rags or shop towels for use and to sound proof the whole box. It comes in handy for roadside emergencies, picnics, visiting people with NO TOOLS you know the type. Over the years it's come in real handy.  

BE PREPARED!  ;)

Plus a bottle of Ven rum.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

I was enlisted in the Army, so I went thru infantry school at Ft. Polk, LA.  Where did you go  thru, Benning?

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I swear I have malaria instead of just a cold. lol.

I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

11 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I was enlisted in the Army, so I went thru infantry school at Ft. Polk, LA.  Where did you go  thru, Benning?

Yes, Ft. Benning is where they do Infantry Officers Basic. Irony of ironies I was near the end of that course when the first draft lottery took place and my number was 334.😁 The training was staffed by Vietnam veterans, both officers and NCO's so it was excellent. They were hard on us because they were dedicated to keeping us alive with all the experience they could jam in our heads in a short period of time. I listened and I used what they had to say on many an occasion.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

While sitting up in a tree with a recurve bow and a ton of camo on in Wyoming, I had a small bird land on a branch about a foot in front of my face. I just watched him for a bit and then finally blinked and off he flew. I can't remember now what kind of bird he was, but I made an impression. Too bad they didn't have cell phone video invented yet when later that morning the half-naked woman came down the trail towards me. LOL!

I took a couple of closeups of a buck with a decent rack (about 10 ft. away) and an good sized bull elk (about 20-30 ft. away) last month in Colorado. If I can ever figure out how to get it off my cell phone I'll post them here. Last time I had someone assist me, but somehow I'm screwing it up on my own. I share it to an email but it's just not taking. Maybe too much data at once. And I have a really great panorama video with the sound of the upper Colorado and another with the sound of the quaking aspen in full leaf change. Sooner or later someone smarter than me can help me out with it.

14 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Plus a bottle of Ven rum.

Hey a small bottle or two of spirits "for medicinal purposes" was a standard practice even during the old wild west times.

A splash of booze to clean a wound did the job......and then you jumped out of your chair WOW!

When I was first was looking for my old oak rolltop desk a guy in a woodworking shop showed me an authentic old General Store Postman's rolltop desk with all of the many, many, many hidden compartments for stamps, cash, all the mail cubby holes, the slot in the rolltop when locked closed for incoming mail when nobody was there and the lock. He also showed where a hidden side panel where the postman kept his booze stash.

I absolutely loved it -but- it weighed a real TON and cost TWO TONS.  I got a slightly smaller version and love it......minus the booze stash. 

BE PREPARED!

12 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

My late father-in-law got malaria when he was a master seargent in those hell holes in the Pacific during WWII, He Passed away at 82 in 2002 it followed him his whole life.

We were maintenance foremen at the mill, I remember the brutal winters fixing stuff outside in zero degree weather and he had four layers of clothes and then started the sweats again. Great guy from the greatest generation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I swear the older I get the more I think of my younger days and I'll be 69 in 2019. Great experiences!

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I swear the older I get the more I think of my younger days and I'll be 69 in 2019. Great experiences!

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

"you're a year older than me, you're a year older than me" lol

Sneaking up on 72 soon.

And the older I get, the better I was.🤣

Archived