THE BROWNS BOARD

Hyde traded

Kvoethe

1 minute ago, hx214 said:

So why did Dorsey sign Hyde in the first place?  Then pay Duke top ten RB money?

He signed him before drafting Chubb, right? (I honestly don't remember)

If he did, probably did it for insurance, nothing wrong with having three quality RBs. 

Problem was, I'm guessing in Dorsey's mind, is that Hyde was getting almost 3/4 of the carries from the tailback position, and two talented RBs who are the future of the Browns backfield were collecting dust. Total speculation, but if the split would had been more 50/25/25 for Hyde/Chubb/Johnson, Hyde might be still here. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If he did, probably did it for insurance, nothing wrong with having three quality RBs. 

Problem was, I'm guessing in Dorsey's mind, is that Hyde was getting almost 3/4 of the carries from the tailback position, and two talented RBs who are the future of the Browns backfield were collecting dust. Total speculation, but if the split would had been more 50/25/25 for Hyde/Chubb/Johnson, Hyde might be still here. 

Maybe.

i guess if they make a move for a position they need and use the 5th they picked up it will make sense. 

This is just a weird move as it stands

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Actually (true story) I called Dorsey and told him they were screwing up one of my FLs and Duke was not getting enough touches.

Problem solved and Hyde is now the JAX #1 guy......honest, he is.

I'm not sure I get it. I'm ASSUMING Chubb got exponentially better at picking up the blitz? And did we already forget he was responsible for a missed block resulting in a blocked punt? 

I'm not hating on Chubb, it's obvious he has immense ability and breakaway speed, but I'm concerned about the inexperience. During a time when we lost some starters and got our butt thumped, we trade our starting RB? Ehhhh....ok?

On the flip side, I am excited about seeing Chubb get some more running opportunities, and I also believe Duke will be used more as well. 

1 minute ago, hx214 said:

Maybe.

i guess if they make a move for a position they need and use the 5th they picked up it will make sense. 

This is just a weird move as it stands

Perhaps.

That or Dorsey is looking at this season like a baseball team nearing the trade deadline that is still one year away from real playoff contention - what's the point of trying to win 80 games with veteran players whose contracts are running out when you can trade them, get something for them, and let your young players get valuable experience. 

ESPECIALLY if his mind is already made up regarding Hue (which I tend to think it is, maybe has been for quite a while) and Dorsey isn't really concerned with this season's record. This is Dorsey's first year, and his draft looks pretty damn good already.  

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm not sure I get it. I'm ASSUMING Chubb got exponentially better at picking up the blitz? And did we already forget he was responsible for a missed block resulting in a blocked punt? 

I'm not hating on Chubb, it's obvious he has immense ability and breakaway speed, but I'm concerned about the inexperience. During a time when we lost some starters and got our butt thumped, we trade our starting RB? Ehhhh....ok?

On the flip side, I am excited about seeing Chubb get some more running opportunities, and I also believe Duke will be used more as well. 

You aren't wrong to wonder this jiggins… I said the same exact thing recently when I expressed why I thought Chubb was getting so little run. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This strikes me as a move made by a GM who knows the current coaching staff isn't going to be here next season, and he could not give a flying fudge (but I didn't say fudge) about what they want or their feelings. He's going to get who he wants on the field now. 

In the short time Haslam has been here - he's already fired Chud, and Pettine.  That led to countless media, fans, and consultants telling him he can't build anything decent when HC tenures aren't lasting longer than a cup of coffee.  Haslam listened, learned and said he'd be more patient with his next hire.  This was Hue, who proceeded to start off 1-31 like a steel toe shitt kicker Jimmy right between the lookers.  Who's kidding who here? Someone's get'n FIRED and it's the inexperienced FO guy that despite some nice trades - other FOs were drafting guys we could have drafted like: Carson Wentz, Zeke Elliott, Joey Bosa, Michael Thomas (not to be confused with Corey "Scissorhands" Coleman), Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson, etc. 

That doesn't mean Jimmy didn't WANT to fire Hue.  I firmly believe when he hired an experienced FO guy like Dorsey it meant there is no more excusing or accepting losing.  If Hue doesn't win - he's gone at the end of the year.  Only THIS time, he'll have an experienced guy like Dorsey helping him with the hiring criteria and selection of HC candidates.

If Dorsey puts the personnel in place here that he put in place in KC with Hill, Hunt and Mahomes - the offense is going to be fun to watch. FWIW, here's where Cleveland currently ranks rushing the football out of 32 teams:

NFL Team Rushing Yards per Game

Date:
Rank Team 2018 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2017
1 LA Rams 154.3 175.0 270.0 120.3 188.3 121.6
2 Dallas 147.5 162.3 206.0 175.7 119.3 135.6
3 San Francisco 142.5 132.3 174.0 168.5 129.5 103.9
4 Carolina 139.4 143.0 81.0 165.0 101.0 129.9
5 Cleveland 137.7 141.0 103.0 131.2 150.5 107.1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

To get things right, I don't like Hue and I think Dorsey has nailed it so far.

I like your narrative, and being Dorsey's first year, it makes a lot of sense. Problem is, I don't like it if his modus operandi as GM that wants something done is to directly trade the 1st string RB 2 days before a game, no matter if the HC is Hue or Vincent Lombardi. 

I hope there has been some communication between FO and coaching staff -as they have to work together- and that we are getting a player in exchange somewhere.

Because if it is about Chubb getting experience in a rebuilding+fire Hue year, I see two problems:

1. You're using his body in a meaningless year.

2. You probably don't protect as well as earlier your rookie quaterback, either because Chubb still needs to improve picking blocks or thanks to a worse running game (Not that Hyde was stellar, but I liked our trio). 

I don't think Dorsey really needed to force Hue's hand, he knows his situation and is already giving him ball games...

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Actually (true story) I called Dorsey and told him they were screwing up one of my FLs and Duke was not getting enough touches.

Problem solved and Hyde is now the JAX #1 guy......honest, he is.

Dammit Donald, you outed yourself (Believe me).😜

15 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

B6269372-8897-49FA-B2B0-FCF88CB1B139.png

Reminds me of the scene in Moneyball when Billy Bean has traded away all the guys Art Howe insisted on starting over the guys Bean wanted to play.

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And for those talking about Chubb being the #1... here's the new depth chart.

RB - Duke Johnson Jr. - Nick Chubb - Dontrell Hilliard

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

I've been kinda thinkin' that Hilliard must have been showing a little something more than just PS ability that made Dorsey feel he could trade away Hyde and force some changes in RB use on HaleyHue, the undynamic duo.

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

this move is just as idiotic as it was yesterday, even after sleeping on it. 

I would wait to see how it works over the next 3-4 games before deciding it was good or bad. Especially if he finds a way to fix that WR depth problem too.

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

I would wait to see how it works over the next 3-4 games before deciding it was good or bad. Especially if he finds a way to fix that WR depth problem too.

oh i have no doubt chubb in the short term picks up hydes carries. Ic haley bowing to pressure and giving chubb the ball 50 times a game. Its just long run, we blew up the best rb room in the league for a 5th rounder

....🤬

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I totally agree. Looking back since Dorsey came here, his moves have exceeded my expectations & we are seeing firsthand how a winning FO operates. It's definitely different than we've seen in a LONG time. Let's see what happens.

Mike

1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

I totally agree. Looking back since Dorsey came here, his moves have exceeded my expectations & we are seeing firsthand how a winning FO operates. It's definitely different than we've seen in a LONG time. Let's see what happens.

Mike

All I can say is "KC"!!

Now wouldn't we like to look like them a couple of years down the road? They are feared!!!!

I just hope our front office understands we're going to have yet another rookie at a key position. Rookie QB, CB, RB, LT, multiple WRs, and don't forget Kicker. That's a ton of youth at some pretty important places on the team. And rookie RBs tend to fumble, so I hope Chubb protects it. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

And for those talking about Chubb being the #1... here's the new depth chart.

RB - Duke Johnson Jr. - Nick Chubb - Dontrell Hilliard

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

Makes sense being that Chubb's pass pro consistency needs improvement to warrant 2/3 of the reps right now. Not only that, we're counting on inexperienced WRs and unemployed/practice squad WR types to help Mayfield so Duke's receiving skills and experience are needed. As it stands, 1/3 of the reps will be a pretty big increase in Chubb's work load.   It'll be interesting to see if we can remain #5 overall in rushing.

33 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I just hope our front office understands we're going to have yet another rookie at a key position. Rookie QB, CB, RB, LT, multiple WRs, and don't forget Kicker. That's a ton of youth at some pretty important places on the team. And rookie RBs tend to fumble, so I hope Chubb protects it. 

Unfortunately that's the case, due in good part by the fact that (for example) the 2016 Browns draft produced two starters out of NINE picks the Browns had in Rounds 1-4. So much of that draft isn't even on the Browns anymore. The 2015 Browns draft produced one player (Duke Johnson) of the seven picks in Rounds 1-4 that is even on the roster anymore. 

So drafts that would put players in their 3rd and 4th season, players that would be young but experienced, and CHEAP, have virtually little to no production for the 2018 Browns. 

6 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Makes sense being that Chubb's pass pro consistency needs improvement to warrant 2/3 of the reps right now. Not only that, we're counting on inexperienced WRs and unemployed/practice squad WR types to help Mayfield so Duke's receiving skills and experience are needed. As it stands, 1/3 of the reps will be a pretty big increase in Chubb's work load.   It'll be interesting to see if we can remain #5 overall in rushing.

I think we'll be ok as other Ds will have to respect Duke's receiving skills, which can also help our run game. We'll soon see.

Mike

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

All I can say is "KC"!!

Now wouldn't we like to look like them a couple of years down the road? They are feared!!!!

Does it bother anyone else though that as good of a job Dorsey did to build this current Chiefs team, the Chiefs still felt the need to get rid of him? Like, what was the story? What do we not know? 

Still to piss't to even post here..It's like receiving a april fools gift        2ggT.gif                                                5zNg.gif    to get carried away by a bad witch in October....                                             Don't over think it Dorsey..This move could have waited till Monday.. Ya don't prepare, than make the trade to Jags on a Friday to please them..Good Luck Carlos!!  

13 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

🤣🤣🤣

5298F2F4-9BE9-4DD9-ADDD-3B216B21B014.jpeg

My feeling from the day Jimmy hired Dorsey was to suffocate every possible excuse Hue was given during 1-31 football moving forward.  Who here really thinks a trigger happy owner really WANTED to keep a HC with a 1-31 record? In saying such a thing, here's my 2 cent blow hard...

The buddy-buddy stuff between Dorsey and Hue for all to see eliminates the "he didn't work with me" excuse. The "he didn't get me a reasonable QB for a #1 overall draft slot" can no longer be used as done with a #2 overall pick and a #1 overall pick plus a #12 scheduled.  The "I never got a 3rd strike to swing at" can never be used.  Best of all, Jimmy was so pressured from everywhere to give HCs more than 1-2 years in order for anything good to happen - that he now has John Dorsey in-house to be the bad cop that fires Hue when/if Hue swings and misses at the 3rd strike.  When you get right down to it - Sashi only having 2 years of experience in his FO capacity was going to put Jimmy in the position of firing Hue if the 2018 left us with about 4 wins or so. I think that's the biggest reason it looked like ONLY Sashi got credit for 1-31 football. 

My take will always be there's less ideal candidates available for upgrade if you knee-jerk the firing to take place during the regular season especially if the team is improved enough to have chance to win 5 of the 6 games at the end of regulation or during any of the 3 OTs. Not only that, we're either going to piss off Haley or Williams if we choose 1 over the other as Interim HC which could destroy the no quit attitude we've seen this year.  If the season goes the way popular opinion thinks it will go - then Hue will get canned...  I'm not one that can root against all our players for that to happen regardless of how much that makes me look like Hue's Dumb Lancelot.

Archived