THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim Taylor Dies at 83

TexasAg1969

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Keep your fetish over black guy's jocks to yourself, weirdo. 

Some people are just like that, jock strap jokes, etc. but most are in junior high school.

Jim Brown was the premier running back of his 9 year career but he lost the running title in 1962 to yeah you guessed it Jim Taylor 1474 yards in 14 games who shared some duties with Paul Hornung. I was really pizzed about that, oh yeah I was 12 that year.  (no jock jokes) :lol:

44 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Some people are just like that, jock strap jokes, etc. but most are in junior high school.

Jim Brown was the premier running back of his 9 year career but he lost the running title in 1962 to yeah you guessed it Jim Taylor 1474 yards in 14 games who shared some duties with Paul Hornung. I was really pizzed about that, oh yeah I was 12 that year.  (no jock jokes) :lol:

Taylor was pedestrian. He Had Hof ers surrounding him. Starr, Dowler, Adderly, Horngung, Nietzke (sp) Ringo, Gregg, Kramer, and more. Jim Brown had Jack Schidt, AND only.an average QB to win it all in 64.

Taylor was a tough guy but he was an average ram rod.

44 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hornung was the good looking glamor boy from Notre Dame and Taylor was the workhorse with a lunch pail who showed up every game. He had 1000+ yds rushing per season 5 years in a row from 1960-64. Hornung never had a season in which he ran for 700 yd or more.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hornung was the good looking glamor boy from Notre Dame and Taylor was the workhorse with a lunch pail who showed up every game. He had 1000+ yds rushing per season 5 years in a row from 1960-64. Hornung never had a season in which he ran for 700 yd or more.

Hornung was the ND QB Heisman big expectations guy, Taylor was the bell cow running the Packers sweep. I was still ticked Brown didn't win the rushing title every year and that he decided to do bit parts in movies and quit football, oh well.......

I'm still convinced that the Lombardi Sweep was one of the most beautiful sights these eyes have ever seen. 

It didn't hurt those Packers teams that Paul Brown seemed adamant about giving Lombardi some phenomenal defensive talent. Brown gave away (off the top of my head) three HOF defensive players that would have helped the Browns immensely in the 60s. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Taylor was the FB... Hornung the HB.

Which is amazing that the FB would outgain the HB by so much......but it was the brutal 1960s.

Screenshot_2018-10-14-19-38-08.png

On 10/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'm still convinced that the Lombardi Sweep was one of the most beautiful sights these eyes have ever seen. 

It didn't hurt those Packers teams that Paul Brown seemed adamant about giving Lombardi some phenomenal defensive talent. Brown gave away (off the top of my head) three HOF defensive players that would have helped the Browns immensely in the 60s. 

Jordan Davis but who elseJordan Davis but who else

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Henry Jordan and Willie Davis to the Packers, and he traded away Doug Atkins to the Bears. All Hall of Famers. 

OK sorry I thought you meant that you said that he sent three Hall of Famer’s to the Packers not just three altogether. And actually you have forgotten the fourth. D. I. C. K LeBeau

Just now, The Gipper said:

OK sorry I thought you meant that you said that he sent three Hall of Famer’s to the Packers not just three altogether. And actually you have forgotten the fourth. D. I. C. K LeBeau

That was my fault Gip, I should have worded that better. I didn't realize LeBeau was with the Browns too.

All that defensive talent could have meant that the Browns would have been the preeminent dynasty of the 60s, and not the Packers. Good lord, a DLine of Davis, Jordan, best Browns DT, and Atkins would have terrorized the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

That was my fault Gip, I should have worded that better. I didn't realize LeBeau was with the Browns too.

All that defensive talent could have meant that the Browns would have been the preeminent dynasty of the 60s, and not the Packers. Good lord, a DLine of Davis, Jordan, best Browns DT, and Atkins would have terrorized the NFL.  

You never really know how trades -or- not making a trade will turn out until after the fact. Many examples throughout NFL history, Hershel Walker and America's team for one.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

They did all right without them in that era as They did appear in four NFL/NFC championship games. 1964,1965,1968,1969. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Modell.shoild.have fired Pail Brown a lot earlier

Yeah, anyone shoid have fired Pail Brown......BTW who was Pail? (just to be accurate ;))

Just now, The Gipper said:

We should’ve fired Modell earlierWe should’ve fired Modell earlier

You can say that again! 

Archived