THE BROWNS BOARD

Getting Rid Of The Kicker

Orion

Today, the Bull & the Fox did a segment on getting rid of the kicker and various concepts of how to change things.  Anything from No Kicking at all, to Drop Kicks.  

Here's what I would do:

You're only allowed one kicker.  He kicks and punts.  He must handle the duties all game.  If someone else has to kick/punt (injury/ding) that player must handle the duties for the rest of the game.

No more kicking extra points.  1 point for converting from the 2 yard line,  2 points for converting from the 10.

You CAN kick field goals but the ball must be at or inside the 25 yard line.

I would still allow kick-offs.....but I could be bribed into eliminating them.

-------  Your thoughts.......

19 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

nahh

C'mon man!  You can do better than that.  I can train a bird to do better than that.   Rrrraught, No Thanks.  Rrraught.

You don't think football is too dependent upon the kicker?  Guys pound each other all game long and some nerd comes in and kicks a FG from 50 yards...

I'd even be willing to say No FG attempts unless you're at or inside the 20.

In football 80% of any given team has the job of blowing up their opponent. They’re big dudes who hit weights and are athletic.

Then there’s roughly 16% of the team that has a similar workout routine, and a similar job, except they are tasked with handling a ball while blowing up other dudes.

And then there’s kickers. I actually like that such a critical job on a football team is held by dudes who are nothing like the rest of the team. They’re like pets! 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Today, the Bull & the Fox did a segment on getting rid of the kicker and various concepts of how to change things.  Anything from No Kicking at all, to Drop Kicks.  

Here's what I would do:

You're only allowed one kicker.  He kicks and punts.  He must handle the duties all game.  If someone else has to kick/punt (injury/ding) that player must handle the duties for the rest of the game.

No more kicking extra points.  1 point for converting from the 2 yard line,  2 points for converting from the 10.

You CAN kick field goals but the ball must be at or inside the 25 yard line.

I would still allow kick-offs.....but I could be bribed into eliminating them.

-------  Your thoughts.......

Well, if it's too easy to score points- make it harder. We already moved the goal posts back once, and shrunk them. Shrink them again. 

Unlike pro Basketball which has stubbornly stuck to a 10' basket height. Crowd loves those thunder dunks. Crap, I'm betting 1\2 the guys could still dunk if they raise the basket to 11', it just wouldn't  be automatic anymore. 

11 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

Maybe Jimmy can get one from his new soccer team.  Or perhaps they should call Randy Lerner.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, if it's too easy to score points- make it harder. We already moved the goal posts back once, and shrunk them. Shrink them again. 

It's not that I feel it's too easy to get FG  points,  obviously, this season is showing the opposite, I just think it takes a little too much away from the way football was intended.  

We'd be seeing more 'football' plays from scrimmage.  If you got on the other side of the 50 you might go for more 4th downs because you know the opponent has to drive down to the 20 or 25 yard line in order to score points.

Archived