THE BROWNS BOARD

Shermer or hue?

LBC mike

4 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Hated Shermer when he coached the browns.  Hue is in the same realm of schiit.

Shure-loss, or the Huebatross.  Shure-loss had more talent to work with so I have to go with him. Picking up where he left off with the Browns in NY as far as I can tell. 

12 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’m not sure who saw “leader material” in him, but it didn’t translate onto the field. 

It was Mike Holmgren who was probably influenced by his time with Shurmur's dad, Fritz. I also think they liked how Shurmur "developed" Sam Bradford and thought he would do the same with Colt McCoy.

Some want to call Hue just a emotional cheerleader? Well, Shurmur had a cross town rival come in his building & once again his team was flat,unprepared,played with no emotion.Hue clearly was the emotional leader with Bengals from what I've seen out of Lewis & Zimmer.Dalton said it himself. Sure there adult professionals, but playing with emotion matters in football.Vrabel looks to be that guy moving on from Pats over Patricia,O'Brian..Others Hue,Nagy,Reid,McVay,Payton,Peterson,Tomlin,Carroll I could play for. Hue's youth players, playing with emotion without Shurmur's play call card in Hue's hands is a win-win. Hue's game management is still on the table   

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Shure-loss, or the Huebatross.  Shure-loss had more talent to work with so I have to go with him. Picking up where he left off with the Browns in NY as far as I can tell. 

He  made Eli look out of his league with calls last night. I kept thinking "Hue the OC/HC" watching that disaster. Barkley is his only savior at this point.

Shurmer left such an indelible mark on Cleveland that we never took the time to spell his name right.

You can see the other Hue thread to see how I feel about bashing the current coach at this time.

Zombo

Shurmur was a meathead with poor leadership skills. I agree with Texag - the Giants played last night like

a team that hates their coach, and who just hate being where they are. Shurmur has that affect wherever he goes.

Hue is really liked by his players -  like Cysko mentioned....I think he's fine now that we have the two OC's we have.

Shurmur's wheels are already coming off. 

The Giants aren't a franchise who generally makes rash decisions, but with the OBJ nonsense and him turning every press conference into a dumpster fire, they might dump him after one season. 

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He  made Eli look out of his league with calls last night. I kept thinking "Hue the OC/HC" watching that disaster. Barkley is his only savior at this point.

And as I told the Ghoul- pinning your playoff hopes on a RB- regardless how good- is DUMB. I'm seeing the same flatline befuddled look out of Pat with the Giants as I did with the Browns. This could be another one and done for Shure-loss, he's not going to get a lot of rope with the NY media when the Giants are picking in the top 5 again. And I'll sort of disagree Ag- it's not the Coach regarding Eli, he's come and gone- like way gone. Done- washed up. Not as bad as Kizer, but damn close. 

PS- just talked with a Giants fan tonight, and another vote Saquon was a big mistake. 

15 hours ago, hish747 said:

It was Mike Holmgren who was probably influenced by his time with Shurmur's dad, Fritz. I also think they liked how Shurmur "developed" Sam Bradford and thought he would do the same with Colt McCoy.

Was Fritz Shurmur his dad or his uncle or both? 

Shurmur seems like one of many that fall into the better Coordinator than Head Coach category. 

Here's some other examples: Norv Turner, Lindy Infante, Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Todd Haley, Bud Carson, Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan, Romeo Crennel, Marty Mornhinweg, Josh Daniels, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike McCoy, Chuck Pagano, Rob Chudzinski

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

Shurmur seems like one of many that fall into the better Coordinator than Head Coach category. 

Here's some other examples: Norv Turner, Lindy Infante, Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Todd Haley, Bud Carson, Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan, Romeo Crennel, Marty Mornhinweg, Josh Daniels, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike McCoy, Chuck Pagano, Rob Chudzinski

Yep they need a special school to train HC's on the art of clock and TO management. And another just for redzone play design and calling. Haley & Heuy should be in that second school together right now.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, LBC mike said:

Hated Shermer when he coached the browns.  Hue is in the same relm of schiit.

1 day before my dad went into hospice he watched watched Shurmur choose to PUNT the football at the 39 yard line of Indy in the 4th quarter when we were down by 10-14 points.  This was against the 31st ranked Defense against the run.  Anyway, the punt landed in the end zone and Cleveland only netted 19 yards.  The last thing my dad ever said about this franchise was "I can't believe they hired such a pussy for such a loyal fan base!"    That wasn't too long after Pat Shurmur was the only guy in the stadium that didn't see or hear Colt McCoy got knocked unconscious by James Harrison just 1-2 plays before putting him right back on the field.  That might not have been sooo bad if he wasn't also the OC we were also counting on to see the field of play in front of him that he was basing much of his play calling on throughout the game.  If he did have an offensive coach upstairs looking down - he was just as worthless.  

While I get the frustration in here with Hue from 1-31 football - he's looked in the mirror and made changes regardless of how little people want to acknowledge it.  He upgraded the OC position and we're enjoying the results.  He upgraded the QB coach and we're enjoying the results.  He upgraded the WR Coach with a guy that coached up Landry and Beckham at LSU and we've even seen an UFA like Willies play like a starter during the opportunity he got last week.  Our biggest hurdle is inexperience showing up as dropsies from the lack of focus.  I think we all agree Hue's choice of Amos for the Special Teams was OW-FUL.    Having said that, a lot of us like seeing Josh Cribbs here working with that group.  AND, if Hue is having any withdrawals from being a control freak - he got more actively involved with STs in practice the week of the Ratbird game. Even if just a coincidence, Denzel Ward blocked what could have been a game winning FG for Ratville. 

At least THIS YEAR'S rookie QB has had 2 veteran QBs in-house to learn different portions of NFL preparation and differences from the college level that Mayfield has found extremely helpful.  Hue wasn't the one that signed Brock Ostrich to a guaranteed 16 million $ contract regardless of how much he sucked. He was the one saying throughout the off season heading into 2017 this team needed to a veteran QB starting that younger QBs could learn from.   Too many people only want to blame Hue for that set up because that's what is popular in here.  

The good news is the competitive value of this team has improved from the laugh of the league to opponents needing 60-75 minutes of football to beat this team.  After 5 games, only 2 opponents have done it. At what point do we get more people here to acknowledge Hue has improved alongside this young team that has improved?   Not saying he's Coach of the Year - I'm just saying the competitive value of this team looks nothing like the 1-31 team he was in charge of before 2018.

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep they need a special school to train HC's on the art of clock and TO management. And another just for redzone play design and calling. Haley & Heuy should be in that second school together right now.

Hue was 12-4 the last time his job title was OC while Haley was 13-3.

Maybe they just need the same surrounding talent and experience volume on-board to get to that point here?  When you go from working with a lot of talent to some of the bare cupboard many of our HCs and Coordinators have walked into here - we need to stop thinking like Cleveland's version of Legally Blind (Mary Kay Cabot) or the male version (Tony Grossi).  There's a culture shock learning curve Hue drastically underrated here that I think we're coming out of pretty well in 2018 with one of the youngest rosters in the league. If you choose to stay stranded in 0-16, you're choosing to miss the fun and excitement of 2018.

All that said, I bought myself a brand new village idiot Aggies in case all that disappears on me...

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Shurmur's wheels are already coming off. 

The Giants aren't a franchise who generally makes rash decisions, but with the OBJ nonsense and him turning every press conference into a dumpster fire, they might dump him after one season. 

Murmer looks like he never had any wheels.... The poor guy is just cursed.

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Hue was 12-4 the last time his job title was OC while Haley was 13-3.

Maybe they just need the same surrounding talent an experience volume on-board to get to that point here?  When you go from working with a lot of talent to some of the bare cupboard many of our HCs and Coordinators have walked into here - we need to stop thinking like Cleveland's version of Legally Blind (Mary Kay Cabot) or the male version (Tony Grossi).  There's a culture shock learning curve here that I think we're coming out of pretty well in 2018 with one of the youngest rosters in the league. If you choose to stay stranded in 0-16, you're choosing to miss the fun and excitement of 2018. 

Our coaches have done their fair share of foot shooting the last two years. It has not quite changed yet, but it is getting better. When we start to feed the ball to Hyde in the I inside the 5, then I'll be more impressed than with some of these "cutesy" failures we've tried.

Shurmur was a yes-man and a robot. Absolutely idiotic playcalling and the players didn't respect him.

I can't stand some of hue's decisions, but at least he's somewhat likeable. Players like him, Joe Thomas loved him.

Hue makes boneheaded calls, but comparing him to Shurmur, he at least shows emotion.

Mangini had more emotion than 20 hues and 40 shurmur's.

That's a dude that coached with passion.

he was a terrible gm though.....

On 10/12/2018 at 11:35 PM, Flugel said:

You left out perhaps the best of all. Mr. LeBeau

Shurmur was one of the worst coaches I'd ever seen.  It's a wonder I didn't break my tv when he was the Browns coach.  Along with Brandon Weeden who was a pathetic excuse of a QB.  I'm still surprised the Giants hired Dumbass Pat.  It's no surprise the Giants are1-5 right now.  

Archived