THE BROWNS BOARD

Potential trades

Louisville Slugger

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000972436/article/top-10-trade-candidates-the-leveon-bell-conundrum

D. Thomas seems like he could really help this team. We need an outside WR that can take the top off of a defense and actually catch the ball. Given his salary it shouldn't take much to trade for him. We have the money to kick the tires on him and hope we can revive his career. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000972436/article/top-10-trade-candidates-the-leveon-bell-conundrum

D. Thomas seems like he could really help this team. We need an outside WR that can take the top off of a defense and actually catch the ball. Given his salary it shouldn't take much to trade for him. We have the money to kick the tires on him and hope we can revive his career. 

We are already paying Landry a shit ton and if you heard Haley speak today, it is all about developing our own as we become a better team so I'd say the chances are slim and none that we'd give draft picks for 30 yo Thomas and his $19m contract.

Zombo

28 minutes ago, Zombo said:

We are already paying Landry a shit ton and if you heard Haley speak today, it is all about developing our own as we become a better team so I'd say the chances are slim and none that we'd give draft picks for 30 yo Thomas and his $19m contract.

Zombo

Not to mention it takes time for a receiver to come in and learn routes and playbooks and develop timing and chemistry with the QB.    The organization is building for long term success not a quick fix that a 30 year old would bring and his monster contract.

54 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

M. Thomas maybe (from the Saints) would be better.

And as another post pointed out, the Browns lead the league in dropped passes.   How about if our receivers just HOLD ON TO THE GODDAMN BALL. That would improve our receiveing corps tremendously.

6 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Our WRs drop too many balls. We can be a playoff team but we can't afford to drop 5 passes every game. Thomas would take over Callaways role, slants and go routes. Callaway and Njoku just can't catch. Win now and develop the youngster in practice

Over pay for a declining WR like he is still a #1 then have him take over a role you openly acknowledge is limited as a route tree?   Makes little sense to me.  

He has a salary of 8.5 million. Subtract the games hes played this year and were on the hook for like 5 or 6 million. If he doesn't work out we can cut him because Denver will have already paid him his guaranteed money. Seems like a decent gamble to me.

The only thing I care about is does he make this team better? Hes a 6'3 230 lbs super athlete who was a top 15 WR when he had a decent QB. So the question is did his play drop off because of his talent or because the QB can't take advantage of his skill set?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

M. Thomas maybe (from the Saints) would be better.

And as another post pointed out, the Browns lead the league in dropped passes.   How about if our receivers just HOLD ON TO THE GODDAMN BALL. That would improve our receiveing corps tremendously.

The way you improve receivers that can catch is to fire them and get receivers who can :) I am optimistic though of Willies and Ratley as well as Higgins when he returns. I suspect we get both Duke and Devalve more involved in the passing game as well, especially Devalve. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't see any names on that list that'd pry draft capital outta my hands.

To quote Brad Paisley....."Me NEITHER!"

Mike

I do, but I am not as in love with draft capital as others are it seems. Quite a few of these guys are far more likely to produce something as opposed to a 7th rounder

i especially want no draft picks traded cause i think we're not going to have a high pick, which is good....finalky we're not drafting top 5. That being said there might be some stud DT/DE we could still get if we traded up into the top 10.

The only other position i see an immediate need for is WR. I know nothing about next years wr class. We'll see how the season pans out....i still suspect by years end we'll need to draft a LDE, but maybe ogbah finally lights it up who knows. Getting myles a real threat at LDE and getting baker a top fuel dragster to throw to should be #1 priorities. 

Thats how close i think we are to competing for the AFC championship. 

6 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Our WRs drop too many balls. We can be a playoff team but we can't afford to drop 5 passes every game. Thomas would take over Callaways role, slants and go routes. Callaway and Njoku just can't catch. Win now and develop the youngster in practice

Thomas has three drops this season so he'd be tied with Njoku for the team lead in that department.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving

10 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Sorry, but it's not all about "this year". 0-16 to the playoffs? Start dreaming that if we win the next two games. The big window opens up next year assuming Dorsey hits the next draft out of the park too. A 30 yo wr isn't the long term future. 

If we were thinking playoffs this year, pretty sure we would have sucked it up and dealt with Gordon's garbage for another year- or brought in Dez Bryant. 

PS- I'll play along with your playoff dream.   7-4 (at worst) and 8-3 (better odds) the rest of the way out. Sweep the division- and BTW, play the Steelers on the road coming off a bye. 

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

PS- I'll play along with your playoff dream.   7-4 (at worst) and 8-3 (better odds) the rest of the way out. Sweep the division- and BTW, play the Steelers on the road coming off a bye. 

For me the worst thing is that this year AFC North seems to be the strongest division. 

Last year I started to do the following procedure to check this kind of stuff: I add the partials of W/L of every team in the division, and compare the divisions. Bengals are +3, Ravens +1 and Browns and Steelers +0, making it a total of +4 wins for the division. 

Closest divisions? AFC West and NFC South with +2. And they are on our schedule.

Note: I think my procedure has some logic as Divisional games don't add anything to the final balance (the winner gets +1, but the loser -1, as they are in the same division the final balance is 0).

14 minutes ago, Nero said:

For me the worst thing is that this year AFC North seems to be the strongest division. 

Last year I started to do the following procedure to check this kind of stuff: I add the partials of W/L of every team in the division, and compare the divisions. Bengals are +3, Ravens +1 and Browns and Steelers +0, making it a total of +4 wins for the division. 

Closest divisions? AFC West and NFC South with +2. And they are on our schedule.

Note: I think my procedure has some logic as Divisional games don't add anything to the final balance (the winner gets +1, but the loser -1, as they are in the same division the final balance is 0).

I like your thinking. Browns win a few more, and our game against the Chiefs might just get flexed to Sunday night. (Bengals already did)  Mayfield- Mahomes. Yeah I know, that's a real late night or early morning in Spain. 

12 hours ago, darren15 said:

Anyone remember these 2 ?

Image result for dwayne boweImage result for kenny britt

AAAAHHHH! Why would you do that? 😁

Trade for Amari Cooper. I've heard rumors that Gruden doesn't want him, and they're trying to rebuild anyway. I'd throw a first rounder for Amari all freaking day. I think he's exactly what we need, and he'd really shine with an accurate QB like Baker. 

Everyone is over-reacting to the drops.

It is still a small sample size and they are getting used to a new Qb. Baker's balls get up on you quick. (Sorry that sounded gay).

We're developing Callaway,  Willies and Ratley.

Higgins is a sure-handed, smooth route runner.

We like our tight ends, we have a great third down receiving back.

I don't see a free agent WR in this team's future. Depending on how well these three rookies develop they may hit up the draft again, but I think you'll all be singing a different song at the end of the Season, the Browns like their young receiving talent.

Z

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Everyone is over-reacting to the drops.

It is still a small sample size and they are getting used to a new Qb. Baker's balls get up on you quick. (Sorry that sounded gay).

We're developing Callaway,  Willies and Ratley.

Higgins is a sure-handed, smooth route runner.

Z

True. From 24/7 sports...

Greg Cosell, Matt Bowen, and Sal Paolantonio have made it official: the Cleveland Browns receivers have dropped the most passes over the past five weeks of NFL action. 

Wednesday afternoon, NFL Matchup on ESPN dropped a list on Twitter detailing the teams with the highest and lowest percentage of dropped passes. While incomplete, this list showcased a surprising mix of teams, with some of the NFL's best suffering through more drops than teams with worse records. 

What makes this list fascinating is the fact that the teams with the fewest percentage of dropped passes don't have Bill Belichick on the coaching staff or Drew Brees at the helm. Instead, the five teams with the lowest percentage of dropped passes are the Redskins, the Cowboys, the Bears, the Rams, and the Falcons. Although this partial list means that the Patriots and Saints are possibly sitting just outside the bottom five. 

Of these five teams, the Cowboys seem to be the biggest surprise considering how often the passing game has struggled over the first five weeks. Quarterback Dak Prescott has only completed 61.8% of his passes for fewer than 1,000 yards on the season while working with a group of receivers that need nametags. This means that of Prescott's 55 incompletions, only eight were drops. The other 47 were either bad throws by Prescott or good plays by defensive players. 

On the other end of the spectrum, the Browns currently have the highest percentage of dropped passes with 7.6%. Given the lack of proven talent outside of Jarvis Landry, this number is quite understandable. Players like Antonio Callaway and Derek Willies are still learning the pro game while tight end David Njoku has been working on his hands since Hard Knocks.

Unfortunately for fans of the Ravens, seeing Baltimore with the third-highest percentage of dropped passes is expected. Free agent signee Michael Crabtree currently leads the NFL with six drops, including three during Sunday's loss to the Browns. Similarly, the Titans have seen a different receiver drop a pass each week. Nick Williams was the latest culprit after he let a perfectly thrown pass from Marcus Mariota go right through his hands. Instead of scoring a touchdown, the Titans settled for a field goal. 

The team that is slightly surprising on this list is Minnesota with 4.5%. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are obviously great receivers, and they are joined by a dynamic tight end in Kyle Rudolph. However, both Thielen and Rudolph have dropped passes this season, and backup receiver Laquon Treadwell struggled with three drops of his own against the Green Bay Packers. 

With the ugly numbers out in the open, will receivers around the league be able to fix their issues? Only time will tell. The Philadelphia Eagles will get the first crack at improving upon a 5.6% rate on Thursday with a game against the woebegone New York Giants. 

Also look worst 7.6% best 5.6% that's only 2% from top to bottom of 32 teams.

Perception can seem like reality whether it's really true or not.  :huh:

Just curious, if the Giants wanted out of the OBJ drama and they were willing to do it for a 2nd round pick or let's even assume the Browns are winning games and it is going to be at the back of round 1, would the Browns make that deal? I keep going back and forth. First and foremost, that's a TON of money to put into WR's with Landry. However, the two work well together and are different types of players. Second, he instantly makes this offense better and I think Cleveland is a destination for him considering Landry and Baker. Third, the browns could still continue to develop Callaway, Willies and Ratley but this would mean jettisoning Streater and probably Higgins. I'm assuming Higgins is probably thrown into the deal, however. Finally, the browns currently have the cap space to do it now since they have a cheap qb and they have a few more years before they need to pay Myles Garrett. TT comes off the books next year which is the big number but nobody else of major concern is a true free agent. I'm thinking it is worth a phone call. Can someone talk me out of it?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cleveland-browns/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/odell-beckham-jr-14421/

Over the first three years of the deal, Beckham will be paid $60 million for an average of $20 million a year over that earlier term. This means the new money average of the extension is $18 million a year over the five years, but his total average over the entire deal is $16.4 million a year over six years, which includes his previous option year (for this season).

Beckham was set to make $8.4 million on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. The agreement reworks Beckham's 2018 contract into a $1.459 million salary with a $20 million signing bonus. The Giants will save $3 million against the cap.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Also look worst 7.6% best 5.6% that's only 2% from top to bottom of 32 teams.

Perception can seem like reality whether it's really true or not.  :huh:

Yeah, that works out to an extra 2 dropped passes per 100 attempts, or roughly one per game big whoop. 

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Trade for Amari Cooper. I've heard rumors that Gruden doesn't want him, and they're trying to rebuild anyway. I'd throw a first rounder for Amari all freaking day. I think he's exactly what we need, and he'd really shine with an accurate QB like Baker. 

LOL, we got a fifth for Gordon, but Cooper is worth a first? What have you been smoking? 

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Just curious, if the Giants wanted out of the OBJ drama and they were willing to do it for a 2nd round pick or let's even assume the Browns are winning games and it is going to be at the back of round 1, would the Browns make that deal? I keep going back and forth. First and foremost, that's a TON of money to put into WR's with Landry. However, the two work well together and are different types of players. Second, he instantly makes this offense better and I think Cleveland is a destination for him considering Landry and Baker. Third, the browns could still continue to develop Callaway, Willies and Ratley but this would mean jettisoning Streater and probably Higgins. I'm assuming Higgins is probably thrown into the deal, however. Finally, the browns currently have the cap space to do it now since they have a cheap qb and they have a few more years before they need to pay Myles Garrett. TT comes off the books next year which is the big number but nobody else of major concern is a true free agent. I'm thinking it is worth a phone call. Can someone talk me out of it?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cleveland-browns/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/odell-beckham-jr-14421/

Over the first three years of the deal, Beckham will be paid $60 million for an average of $20 million a year over that earlier term. This means the new money average of the extension is $18 million a year over the five years, but his total average over the entire deal is $16.4 million a year over six years, which includes his previous option year (for this season).

Beckham was set to make $8.4 million on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. The agreement reworks Beckham's 2018 contract into a $1.459 million salary with a $20 million signing bonus. The Giants will save $3 million against the cap.

Gosh, I just can't believe the amount of name chasing that's going on around here lately. Here's a news flash- we're not trading for big name drama Queen WRs on cap busting deals. So just drop the idea. Neither Beckham or Cooper are magically going to turn the Browns into a Super Bowl team this year. 

the only wr id consider making a trade for is tate. But thats dependant on what the lions would want. Beckham and cooper would fuk up the lockeroom i beleive. Ansah was a name i would have considered but i firgot about his tag we'd have to swallow....rather make him an offer in FA next year.

Tour turned me on to what margus is doing in indy, id trade for that right now in a heartbeat. We'd have our LDE mauler to compliment garrett. We can also slide him to DT. which he does now for indy, wgen we bring in Genard for pass rush duty. That o e would make the most sense but indy may not want to blow up their D right now since they're playing well. But margus will be a FA after this year. You guys should watch some of his snaps....dude is a powerhouse. Finally living up to his potential...he was a discus thrower in college. Dude is Nassib with 30 extra lbs of "lean" muscle. 6'8 and high 290's, plays with low pad leverage...."beast"

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, we got a fifth for Gordon, but Cooper is worth a first? What have you been smoking? 

Gosh, I just can't believe the amount of name chasing that's going on around here lately. Here's a news flash- we're not trading for big name drama Queen WRs on cap busting deals. So just drop the idea. Neither Beckham or Cooper are magically going to turn the Browns into a Super Bowl team this year. 

You're dam right Cooper is worth a first. Let me put it to you this way. Let's say Browns draft a WR in the first round, say around pick #16. Would he be as good as Amari Cooper? Obviously it's impossible to know, but the chances that the rookie would come in and perform as well or better than Amari would be slim, especially in the first two years. WRs generally take a couple years to hit full potential, and Amari is a terrific WR right NOW. Additionally, your point about the Browns not being a Super Bowl team this year with Amari is invalid. Would he help us this year? Of course. But the POINT is to maximize our chances of winning over the next three years, and Amari would definitely help us get to the next level. 

Furthermore, you can't compare what we got for Gordon to what we'd pay for Amari. It's apples to oranges, and you'd have to know that. As far as I know, Amari doesn't have off the field issues. If Gordon DIDN'T have his litany of issues, I have no idea what he'd be worth. There's literally no way to know. Why? Because Gordon is the most physically gifted receiver I've ever seen. So if he didn't have his issues, lord knows what he'd be capable of, and his value would be next to impossible to compute. I'll put it to you this way:  What would the Falcons get for Julio Jones 6 years ago? You can't compare what we got for Gordon to trading for Amari (or Beckham, or whoever) because virtually ever other receiver isn't a joint away from being booted out of the league. 

The Raiders might be in rebuild mode. Heck, they have $100 million locked up in their coach, which is stupid. They screwed up Khalil Mack deal, and maybe they just say screw it, we'll build for the future. Apparently Gruden doesn't favor Derek Carr anyway, so who knows? 

Rashard Higgins might be out a month. Our receivers and tight ends are struggling to catch the ball, and we're the worst team in the league statistically at catching the pill. We also have a young QB who needs all the help he can get, so let me ask you....why WOULDN'T we trade a first rounder for Amari Cooper? Why wouldn't we try to help our rookie QB? There's a good chance that our early struggles with closing games will cost us a playoff opportunity, but who knows, right? Heck, all the sudden we look super competitive. One of the best ways to have your rookie QB struggle is to have WRs who don't get open. Remember last year? Not getting open? Obviously Kizer had many other issues, but that didn't help. 

Archived