THE BROWNS BOARD

The Rise and Fall of Affirmative Action - The New Yorker

VaporTrail

13 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

I'd argue it's apples and oranges. AA places people on tiers because of the way they were born, whereas a preference for veterans is based off accomplishment/merit.

When I interview operators with military experience, I don't give them "bonus points" JUST because they were in the military. But if that experience helped make them a more qualified candidate, either with technical or soft skills, than that's great. 

If you treat the experience like work experience or something, that's great. If you just automatically give them a boost, that's Affirmative Action.

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

When I interview operators with military experience, I don't give them "bonus points" JUST because they were in the military. But if that experience helped make them a more qualified candidate, either with technical or soft skills, than that's great. 

If you treat the experience like work experience or something, that's great. If you just automatically give them a boost, that's Affirmative Action.

They let you interview people?  LMAO.

22 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I disagree because it's still based off of something they've earned. If you go to an Ivy League medical school, you're going to get more interviews than someone who goes to Ohio State and has the same stats. For the postal service giving a boost based off of military service, they're getting points for already having served the federal government. Affirmative action makes those same decisions except based on the color of your skin. Apples and oranges.

4 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I've never heard of Supervisor's having the power to hire, and fire.  They can make recommendations.  And how does someone with only a couple of years of experience have such power?  You're still a kid.

These are hourly workers. $15 to $30 an hour. I get resumes from recruiters, pick some to interview, and then pick the ones I want. The back and forth about pay is usually management and HR. Firing us generally done through a build up of corrective actions, though I can choose to get rid of a temp worker if there's a reason. 

I first supervised at my last job at 23, but I never hired or fired. It was Union, a little different, and my department didn't really have turnover.

I'm on the interview team for other engineers and supervisors but I'm not making the final call there. 

13 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

These are hourly workers. $15 to $30 an hour. I get resumes from recruiters, pick some to interview, and then pick the ones I want. The back and forth about pay is usually management and HR. Firing us generally done through a build up of corrective actions, though I can choose to get rid of a temp worker if there's a reason. 

I first supervised at my last job at 23, but I never hired or fired. It was Union, a little different, and my department didn't really have turnover.

I'm on the interview team for other engineers and supervisors but I'm not making the final call there. 

Okay, makes sense.

I will make one point - I get that their experience, etc, is what Woody looks at. The flip side is, there is a ton of discipline and performance in any job in the military that deserves credit towards any job. That Honorable Discharge was earned. Not that it qualifies someone for the job, just sayin, I think it should figure in.

14 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Its not the school, it's the student. I've worked Michigan, OSU, Purdue, Akron and a satellite Purdue school. On average, you can still tell the difference among candidate pools. 

At least withing engineering, the higher the GPA the worst the soft skills get, on average. In my experience.

Oh I understand that and I agree that performance is not necessarily based on GPA. But one of the reasons Harvard, among others, is considered an iconic school is that their entrance standards are among the highest in the world.

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh I understand that and I agree that performance is not necessarily based on GPA. But one of the reasons Harvard, among others, is considered an iconic school is that their entrance standards are among the highest in the world.

WSS

And their expectations and degree of difficulty in those courses is also very high

Just now, MLD Woody said:

And their expectations and degree of difficulty in those courses is also very high

Well I'm not so sure. Just as you pointed out with your anecdotal stories about people with worse grades being better for the job here's mine. A buddy of mine went to Cleveland State Law School and took the bar with three Cleveland guys that had gone to Harvard. He was the only one that passed on the first try.

WSS

33 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Well I'm not so sure. Just as you pointed out with your anecdotal stories about people with worse grades being better for the job here's mine. A buddy of mine went to Cleveland State Law School and took the bar with three Cleveland guys that had gone to Harvard. He was the only one that passed on the first try.

WSS

If it was the same then you'd expect every engineering student at Michigan to have 3.8s or higher. That's not the case. 

I've worked with students from different schools with varying degrees of difficulty within the program

I recruit for jobs that require a combination or technical and soft skills, not necessarily the best pure engineers

Archived