THE BROWNS BOARD

How do you help the homeless?

hammertime

Homelessness in most, not all, cases is a choice.  In some rare cases it may be a better choice than the alternative, but again it's rare.  90% of the time, in my estimation, it comes down to drugs, mental issues, or both. 

There are 3 homeless guys that run the area around my job.  As in they will run other homeless guys out of their territory.  One of them is a tiny crossdressing black guy that every morning strips down to his underwear and practices his dance moves through the reflection in the window, in front of an empty office space across the parking lot.  The cops stopped getting him dressed everyday awhile ago, so it's a routine now.  There is no amount of money or pills or therapy that will ever get him in a sustainable mode of normalcy.  So I'm inclined to say nothing is going to solve homelessness.  

Therapy seems like it may help some, but certainly won't be a cure by any means.  As simple as it sounds, you just have to not want to be homeless.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's really true.  How much does it cost to rent a room these days?  $300-$500 A month?  Even the lamest job could get you that.  Panhandling could get you that. 

The real question is do these people value a home the same as you and I do?  I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"In my estimation" implies I'm going off personal experience.  Right?

Mental issues is what I actually said.  Either way, these people still make choices, many bad ones.  Maybe my definition of mental issues is a little broader than your mental illness term.  I don't believe it's simply people who drool on themselves.  For instance, if you voluntarily live and $hit on the streets of San Francisco because you can't afford rent, when you could eek out a living somewhere else, you clearly have mental issues.  Your priorities are clearly not in line with society.

Monetary homelessness should be very temporary.  Kicked out of the family home, temporary.  Lost job, temporary. To permanently find yourself homeless and needing constant assistance implies there is something wrong with you.  And I'll go a step further, it probably implies you've refused to get the help you need many times over.  I'm not religious myself, but I know churches have always reached out to people in this way.  Even if you don't believe, they will help you.  Even most local governments have some small operations.  If your not willing to adjust your lifestyle, or whatever it is for the sake of survival, you have issues. That's on you and often a choice.

This is coming from someone who hands out pocket change quite frequently.  Some of the people you think are homeless are not.  They make ends meet through panhandling and appearing homeless.

Anyways, these types of studies are highly variable and individually unreliable because it requires honesty and can't be truly observed.  Human error right?  I wouldn't expect every drug user to admit they use, would you?  That's kind of common sense stuff.  

I'm not degrading these folks, but I can tell by your line of questioning your not fond of my take, so what are your thoughts on the topic?  Rarely do you actually give those.

So we are assuming that there is a way to help homeless people? Consider the fact that we think anybody that doesn't have the same idea of materialistic needs as we do is crazy.

Bums, hobos, beggars you name it have been a part of society all around the world forever. Hell when we were kids we used to dress up like bums on Halloween.

WSS

Homeless should be rounded up and put in camps.  These camps will not be a 'prison' but a 're-education/rehabilitation institution.  They cannot leave, they must stay until it is complete.  It will consist of drug/alcohol rehabilitation, mental health treatment and job training.  If you successfully complete it, you will be released and must find work and housing within 1 month or you will be jailed for rehabilitation failure.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Hell when we were kids we used to dress up like bums on Halloween.

WSS

According to my wife I've been dressing that way every  day since retirement. I told her for cremation I wanted shorts and a T-shirt.😜

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I think you have to try to distinguish between those who want a hand up and those who want a handout. Those who are helped who just need a hand up will reap good benefits while trying to help those who want a hand out will just be wasted like water being poured on a sand pile. 

There's a third type, people who just live that way and want to be left alone. Right now Akron city council is screwing around with legislation 2 expand or eliminate a hobo jungle, or Tent City within the city limits. Just because we couldn't possibly imagine living under those conditions doesn't mean others feel the same.

WSS

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

There's a third type, people who just live that way and want to be left alone. Right now Akron city council is screwing around with legislation 2 expand or eliminate a hobo jungle, or Tent City within the city limits. Just because we couldn't possibly imagine living under those conditions doesn't mean others feel the same.

WSS

that's sound like living off the grid...surely we could accomadate those folks with airfare or a bustrip to some secluded habitat?

• Upvote 1

I don't get the homeless  - I've read where there are those who have mental illnesses and just hide from society out of fear,

and others who just don't have anywhere to live.

no job, no social relationships to make a life with...

probably all sorts of reasons. The worst is, I guess, inferiority to a depression degree - a lot of dem commies love to FEEL

like victims. Victimization makes them important -

I don't know. Send em to Mexico - they are sending theirs here, apparently.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Thought I’d bring this up again seeing how LA is about to become toxic with typhoid etc.

San Fran is in need of few thousand Porta Johns 

and Seattle along with the rest are becoming a wasteland of hypodermic needles and trash.

Why is it no one wants to tackle this problem?  I do like the idea on detainment camps where they can detox the majority of the and attempt to insert them back into society if possible.

Can we still send convicts and homeless to the Land down Under?  Lol

On 10/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, hammertime said:

that's sound like living off the grid...surely we could accomadate those folks with airfare or a bustrip to some secluded habitat?

Maybe Mexico?

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/9/2018 at 9:19 PM, htownbrown said:

Homelessness in most, not all, cases is a choice.  In some rare cases it may be a better choice than the alternative, but again it's rare.  90% of the time, in my estimation, it comes down to drugs, mental issues, or both. 

There are 3 homeless guys that run the area around my job.  As in they will run other homeless guys out of their territory.  One of them is a tiny crossdressing black guy that every morning strips down to his underwear and practices his dance moves through the reflection in the window, in front of an empty office space across the parking lot.  The cops stopped getting him dressed everyday awhile ago, so it's a routine now.  There is no amount of money or pills or therapy that will ever get him in a sustainable mode of normalcy.  So I'm inclined to say nothing is going to solve homelessness.  

Therapy seems like it may help some, but certainly won't be a cure by any means.  As simple as it sounds, you just have to not want to be homeless.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's really true.  How much does it cost to rent a room these days?  $300-$500 A month?  Even the lamest job could get you that.  Panhandling could get you that. 

The real question is do these people value a home the same as you and I do?  I don't think so.

UPDATE

Found the little crossdressing hobo a place to stay for the next 6 months to 2 years.  Even got him a ride there.  

He decided to break into my jeep and steal my pistol right in front of the security cameras today.  Cops probably wouldn't have done anything about it if he would have concealed the gun before exiting the vehicle.  Tisk, tisk.

I wish he would have just unzipped the soft top, instead of popping my window with a screwdriver, but then it probably would have been a while before I realized anything was missing.

I should be mad as hell, but all those forced relationships he's about to be in just make me smile a little.  I'm sure he's excited too.  I don't even feel like making an insurance claim, I'll just eat this one for the memories.  

Hope the cops give me my gun back, it's really my only concern at this point.