THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

On 3/17/2019 at 6:47 AM, Westside Steve said:

You beat me to it. Just getting ready to post that.

WSS

Was starting to wonder where you've been...

• Upvote 1

phoynes@cleveland.com

16 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

WSS

Yes Terry Pluto must never stop writing things down......about Cleveland sports. https://connect.cleveland.com/staff/tpluto/posts.html

I have written to Terry in the past and will write him again when I get my stuff in order again soon and will include Paul Hoynes who covers the Indians and MLB this time. https://connect.cleveland.com/staff/phoynes/posts.html

I might have some writing time coming up this week....... 

Terry's take on the whole Cowherd-Whitlock-Bayless (yes, him, too) view controversey...

Plus a word to "overly optomisitic fans"...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/how-odell-beckham-brings-the-lebron-james-effect-to-the-browns-terry-pluto.html

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Terry's take on the whole Cowherd-Whitlock-Bayless (yes, him, too) view controversey...

Plus a word to "overly optomisitic fans"...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/how-odell-beckham-brings-the-lebron-james-effect-to-the-browns-terry-pluto.html

Over-optimism worries the shit out of me.

WSS

Thanks Steve. I believe the "poor tackling" is largely a coaching issue. This hard, body block tackling may have resulted in more turnovers, but also (IMO) a LOT of missed tackles, longer gains, & extended drives against us. I would rather see solid tackling that results in more "3 & outs".

The talent is there. I am anxious to see what different utilization of that talent brings plus I want another solid LB.

Mike

On 4/8/2019 at 5:56 AM, Westside Steve said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

WSS

Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

It starts a week from this coming Thursday night! Yippee!🤠

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yes, plus as much as I love Terrys writing on just about every sport he is the Undisputed king of baseball writers in my opinion.

WSS

...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

...it's just plain weird...

5 hours ago, Orion said:

...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

Hah, I was going to say news flash! Dorsey has traded up to pick #22 in the first round!! Except that pick is currently held by the Ravens. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hah, I was going to say news flash! Dorsey has traded up to pick #22 in the first round!! Except that pick is currently held by the Ravens. 

What makes it worth watching is the fact that Dorsey just might trade up into the 1st. Keep an eye out if White has not gone 1-7.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

I mean, Browns fans are more excited about the schedule coming out tonight than the Draft next week.

Reminds me of 2008. 😲😁

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Reminds me of 2008. 

Not me. 

I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

Not me. 

I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

Right on the money! 2007 was an absolute FLUKE! I could never understand the DA hype....Strong arm, NO touch.

We now have a REAL QB and surrounding talent. What needs to happen now is for all this talent to gel as a UNIT. To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

Mike

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

Mike

I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

"Hit the ground" and "flying" are not a good mix... just ask Boeing... 😮

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows?

I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

Yep. We DO have outstanding Coordinators & position Coaches, especially Campen on the OL & that will help a lot. My biggest concern is at LB. Also, that early Bye Week may actually help to give us a little time to work on little "bugs" that may pop up. I'm hoping that we should be in pretty good shape by the Bye Week (if not before).

It also helps having players that fit what Dorsey wants, smart & passionate.....I'll call 'em "WII" players...Winners who are Intelligent & Intense.

Mike

9 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

My biggest concern is at LB.

Mike

I just posted the same on the "schedule" thread. Derrick Henry will test 'em big time, because Vrabel discovered what he really had late there last season. The previous coach never used him properly. Vrabel did the last few games. He starts becoming effective in the second half when LBs get weary of being hit so hard by the big man.

after a 1-31 record and a team that not only was terrible, but low scoring and almost deathly boring -- last season was so much fun.

Part of football is entertainment.

When Baker Mayfield took over as quarterback, the Browns became fun to watch.[/quote]

...so well said.

Prior to Baker Mayfield we were in fact, deathly boring.  Aside from us die-hards, who woulda' wanted to watch a 1-31 team?

...........and then, down 14-0, from his own 34, with 1:42 left in the half...Baker Mayfield, with ZERO reps with the first team all training camp, preseason, until this moment....fired 2 consecutive passes for 1st downs and transformed the 'deathly boring' Browns into the Fun to Watch Browns.  Pluto said it.....and a construction worker renovating the building I work in said it.  He said to me, ' I got the sunday ticket.  I can watch all the games.  But I find myself gravitating to YOUR game cos you guys are fun to watch."    (Wow)

Baker Mayfield transformed the perception of this team.  But John Dorsey had the insight to pick him!  He didn't select the rookie of the year running back.  He didn't select any of the other 'top four' quarterbacks.  Nope.  Dorsey chose the one that instantly transformed our team  from that first moment that he waked out onto the field with the starting offense.  -  And since making that selection Dorsey has gone about acquiring every possible offensive weapon  for his quarterback.

Just like Mayfield making a positive impact when HE took over, Dorsey cut Kenny Britt as soon as he was given the keys to the building.  Both guys, improving the team Right out of the Gate!

10. I will be talking Browns and other things at the Bay Village Library on May 9 at 7 p.m. It’s free. I’ll be glad to sign books. You can register here.

Anyone ever attended one of Terry's Talks?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Westside Steve said:

I have not but I probably would if you did one of the Akron area.

WSS

I'm pretty sure I've seen where he's done them from Books-A-Million at Chapel Hill and Barnes and Noble in Montrose in the past. 

• Upvote 1