THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz and Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield talk after a 2020 game. Should the fall of Wentz be a warning sign about Mayfield? John Kuntz, cleveland.com

Should the BROWNS fans worry ?  Maybe not.  (read the article)

C4ONMD4HV5DR3FGWLPPFZQEBJE.JPG

It is fucktard asshole  reasoning to equate  Baker with Wentz.  Why should he be equated with Wentz any more than he should be equated with Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees, or John Elway or Jim Kelly,  or John Unitas or Roger Staubach. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/03/not-heart-broken-as-browns-miss-signing-jj-watt-terry-pluto.html

Neither am I. I would have liked to have the guy I was assuming he had a winning attitude. I had guessed he would see the Browns as an up-and-coming team with a good shot at the Super Bowl. Apparently the money meant more than winning. Nothing wrong with that I guess. Lots of players feel that way on the back nine. But it's not somebody who is going to be an emotional team leader. Like Landry. If he still is...

Plus those grapes are probably sour anyway...

WSS

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I mentioned that Paul Brown never won a title without Otto Graham.“He never even won a playoff game without Otto Graham,” said the executive. “Great coach, but he needed the quarterback.”

Of course in most of Paul's day with a non-expansion team there was only one "playoff game"...

... so there's that.

Late in his career he had Dr. Frank (who won a championship under Collier) and then Ken Anderson in Cinci after the team got pretty good. Both QBs were better than good.

Bottom line: While a great innovator in his days in H.S., college, the AAFC and early NFL, the NFL caught up with pretty quickly. Not even good QBs could help him enough to make, let alone go deep into the playoffs.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, Tour2ma said:

Of course in most of Paul's day with a non-expansion team there was only one "playoff game"...

... so there's that.

Late in his career he had Dr. Frank (who won a championship under Collier) and then Ken Anderson in Cinci after the team got pretty good. Both QBs were better than good.

Bottom line: While a great innovator in his days in H.S., college, the AAFC and early NFL, the NFL caught up with pretty quickly. Not even good QBs could help him enough to make, let alone go deep into the playoffs.

Perhaps the key to the Browns was Jim Brown?

WSS

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Not me. And here is why because this is exactly how I see him.

"6. The Browns aren’t thinking about their line in the traditional four-man front with two defensive tackles and two defensive ends lining up in the same spots. They see Clowney as a versatile player who can line up at defensive end or inside. He is very strong against the run, perhaps his best attribute. That allows the Browns to move him into various spots along the line."

12. The Browns don’t say this, but you can view the Clowney signing as a low-risk gamble with a possible high payoff. It’s doubtful they’d find someone in this draft capable of immediately producing to the level of a reasonably healthy Clowney. If he struggles and/or is injured, the defense doesn’t rise or fall with him.

----------  I 'upvote' this.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Bottom line-  "We just watched Part 2 over the last few months. This should be a much better defense now than a year ago."  Much like the offense was better in 2020. And I think we added some very special ST players as well. That has been under publicized, but there are 3 major parts to a real competitive team, not just two.

• Like 1

10. So the Browns after five rounds picked two linebackers. Now there’s something I never expected to write about this draft, given how the Browns have tended to downgrade the position in the past.

...but that was one of the Browns biggest needs.  And they've shown that some of the LB'ers that they already have really don't fit their new model for the position.  (and they actually traded UP for one - sacrilege!)   I wasn't too suprised.  I expected at least one to be chosen.

Helge Bjørkhaug (@astrohelge) | New horizons pluto, Pluto planet, Planets

• 2 weeks later...

PLUTO: CLEVELAND, Ohio – Talking to myself about the Browns’ draft now that a few weeks have passed:

QUESTION: How many of the rookies will start this season?

ANSWER: Probably one.

Q: One? ONE? I thought they had a great draft.

A: Browns fans have to adjust to a shocking fact of life – they really do have a good team. There are some people who can claim the 11-5 record was fluke thanks to a weak schedule, a few breaks, etc. Let’s say they were 10-6 or even 9-7......

And they're not picking 1st anymore.  We BROWNS fans still have to adjust to that.   :)