Jump to content
Westside Steve

The official Terry Pluto thread

Recommended Posts

Terry's gone Pay-per-View...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Terry's gone Pay-per-View...

Is the end of good free online journalism near or maybe here ?     Adios Terry, it was nice.

Screenshot_2020-10-11_115852.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 

I tried to copy and paste from the Google article. When I open it from my Google feed it works fine. When I push the link here it requires a subscription.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/cleveland-browns-halftime-scribbles-with-running-game-struggling-baker-mayfield-comes-through-terry-pluto.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I think we finally have a real high level NFL head coach. All the best qualities that tie a team together even down to the waterboys. Nothing like seeing people all playing on the same page and striving to run like a well oiled machine. That's what separates the Vinces from the Hueys. Leadership means everything and we now have a LEADER instead of great pretenders..👍

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, Ag...

"Football minds" are a dime a dozen, but ones who are real leaders as well? Rare...

I'm trying to think what HC Stef is like. He comes across as firm, not stern... authoritative, not dictatorial... approachable, not distant.

Closest that's come to mind of his contemporaries is LAR's McVay, but I don't know McVay well enough to be certain... or Stef for that matter as the above are just early impressions. Andy Reid also came to mind, but he's earned player respect over many, many years... too many to be a valid comp.

In Browns history? Maybe Sam, but I think Sam was more of a "players' coach", more of a cheerleader ala Pete Carrol or George Allen, and not all that firm. Collier, maybe...

In football history? Really none come to mind... so many tyrants back in the day... most of whom would not be effective with today's athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree, Ag...

"Football minds" are a dime a dozen, but ones who are real leaders as well? Rare...

I'm trying to think what HC Stef is like. He comes across as firm, not stern... authoritative, not dictatorial... approachable, not distant.

Closest that's come to mind of his contemporaries is LAR's McVay, but I don't know McVay well enough to be certain... or Stef for that matter as the above are just early impressions. Andy Reid also came to mind, but he's earned player respect over many, many years... too many to be a valid comp.

In Browns history? Maybe Sam, but I think Sam was more of a "players' coach", more of a cheerleader ala Pete Carrol or George Allen, and not all that firm. Collier, maybe...

In football history? Really none come to mind... so many tyrants back in the day... most of whom would not be effective with today's athletes.

Blanton Collier seems like a fair comp personality wise. 

Someone who is a teacher, not a "spittle flyin' hardass" type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Terry......

6. Stefanski already is without star running back Nick Chubb (knee injury) and emerging star right guard Wyatt Teller (calf injury). Kareem Hunt was playing with sore ribs. Several players on defense are hurt. He didn’t need anyone else injured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, even if it may cause a lopsided score.     :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG !!!!   Can this be true ?   :o

 

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Here we go again, talking about Browns QB Baker Mayfield:

QUESTION: Just admit it, Baker Mayfield is not a franchise QB.

ANSWER: What is a franchise QB?

Q: I can’t put it into words, but it sure ain’t Baker. Can you disagree with that?

A: If a franchise QB is a top 10 QB in the NFL – the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethisberger and Lamar Jackson – the answer is no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 6:50 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I think we finally have a real high level NFL head coach. All the best qualities that tie a team together even down to the waterboys. Nothing like seeing people all playing on the same page and striving to run like a well oiled machine. That's what separates the Vinces from the Hueys. Leadership means everything and we now have a LEADER instead of great pretenders..👍

YEP. He is also very, very smart and has inspired the Browns to a new height. They are having fun in the fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3XPDSXP5BFG6HNPEB2VCMSMHOY.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Despite the bullshit taunting call.
 
Unfortunately it looks like this thread his outlived its usefulness. Maybe eight bucks for the year but ...
 
Ironically when I click on the link in my Google news feed it opens right up.
 
WSS
 
 
 
 
 
 

"

 
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why this is, but l’ve never had a problem reading Pluto’s articles on his Facebook page, but l sometimes hit the paywall when l access them elsewhere. This trick may work for others having the same issue.
 

https://www.facebook.com/terrypluto/

Correction: the trick seems to work on the Facebook app but not when l access Facebook through the regular internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I don’t know why this is, but l’ve never had a problem reading Pluto’s articles on his Facebook page, but l sometimes hit the paywall when l access them elsewhere. This trick may work for others having the same issue.
 

https://www.facebook.com/terrypluto/

Correction: the trick seems to work on the Facebook app but not when l access Facebook through the regular internet.

might have to try it on my tablet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nickers said:

might have to try it on my tablet...

Well I click on the Google link and it works. When I copy and paste here and click on it it's blocked and says it wants me to subscribe for $7 and ninety something cents a month.

If it works for other guys great!

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Well I click on the Google link and it works. When I copy and paste here and click on it it's blocked and says it wants me to subscribe for $7 and ninety something cents a month.

If it works for other guys great!

WSS

It hasnt worked for me so far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New one from Terry addressing the "Wentz Question". I was able to read this one for free.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/11/what-if-browns-drafted-carson-wentz-in-2016-terry-pluto.html

 

I've been as anti-Wentz as anyone 'round here with the main difference from the others being that I always have been. I just felt that while good, he never had the potential to be great. The difference being the quality of supporting class required. Put another way... who elevates whose game? The great ones elevate those around them.

Have to say tho that now I feel sorry for the guy. He does look broken, but if he came available and I had a very good supporting cast, then I'd have to consider him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I've been as anti-Wentz as anyone 'round here with the main difference from the others being that I always have been. I just felt that while good, he never had the potential to be great. The difference being the quality of supporting class required. Put another way... who elevates whose game? The great ones elevate those around them.

From 2017 through 2019 he threw for 80 touchdowns compared to 21 interceptions. 

I've always thought you being "anti-Wentz from the get-go" was because Sashi passed on him and you've always needed to justify it, you know, as President of the Sashi Brown Fan Club 😉

But man, he's absolutely broken now. He hit the wall at 100mph. 

(BTW, I checked out Jack White on SNL. Holeeeee shit. That was amazing. Here's my favorite SNL performance of relatively recent vintage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MCgMr-2pI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQEbAlFw5_0)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, Dutch Oven said:

From 2017 through 2019 he threw for 80 touchdowns compared to 21 interceptions. 

I've always thought you being "anti-Wentz from the get-go" was because Sashi passed on him and you've always needed to justify it, you know, as President of the Sashi Brown Fan Club 😉

But man, he's absolutely broken now. He hit the wall at 100mph. 

(BTW, I checked out Jack White on SNL. Holeeeee shit. That was amazing. Here's my favorite SNL performance of relatively recent vintage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MCgMr-2pI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQEbAlFw5_0)

I remember being heartbroken for a while when Wentz was tearing it up and we had Kizer or whichever bozo slinging the rock. It seemed bad for a while, it really did, but then the clouds parted and the light shined through! 😂

I'm still pretty excited about Mayfield. Let's just think back to some of the horrendous shit we've had, and have a moment of THANKS for the QB we have now. You think Kizer or Tyrod Taylor is hitting that 3rd and 18 against the Texans? Hell no. You think either of those guys are beating the Bengals after our defense got their ass ripped apart? No. 

I have a feeling Baker will have a highly efficient but unremarkable game Sunday. Something like 20-27 for 210 yards and a TD or two. Guys who will score: Hunt, Chubb, Bryant, and possibly Hodge if we hit the deep shot. We've been waiting for a month to have good weather, and Stefanski is itching for the vertical passing game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm still pretty excited about Mayfield. Let's just think back to some of the horrendous shit we've had, and have a moment of THANKS for the QB we have now. You think Kizer or Tyrod Taylor is hitting that 3rd and 18 against the Texans? Hell no. You think either of those guys are beating the Bengals after our defense got their ass ripped apart? No. 

Baker Mayfield is better than two guys barely hanging on to a roster spot in the NFL.

Sorry, but I expect a little more from the former #1 overall pick than "Well... but he's better than Deshone Kizer and Tyrod Taylor!" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker Mayfield is better than two guys barely hanging on to a roster spot in the NFL.

Sorry, but I expect a little more from the former #1 overall pick than "Well... but he's better than Deshone Kizer and Tyrod Taylor!" 

Hehehehe. I'm with ya. But he's got a 2-1 TD to INT ratio and he's winning games in Cleveland. He's also the top rated QB in the red zone (or was two weeks ago). Regardless, he's the real deal, especially when it matters. What's the next hurdle? Beating Pittsburgh this year. He's beaten Baltimore twice, time to beat Pittsburgh when Ben is out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Hehehehe. I'm with ya. But he's got a 2-1 TD to INT ratio and he's winning games in Cleveland. He's also the top rated QB in the red zone (or was two weeks ago). Regardless, he's the real deal, especially when it matters. What's the next hurdle? Beating Pittsburgh this year. He's beaten Baltimore twice, time to beat Pittsburgh when Ben is out there. 

Here's what I want to see, and it will only flesh itself out over time:

Is Stefanski and Co. treating Mayfield almost as a rookie this season, knowing his bad habits and that he needed to be torn down and rebuilt back up? Hence the offense that doesn't ask him to do a ton of heavy lifting? OR, does Stefanski and Co. know exactly what they have in Baker Mayfield, and THAT'S the reason they don't ask him to do a ton? Basically they have a passing attack on training wheels because they think that's his ceiling? 

We'll find out next season. If the offense looks the same, and Baker is still being a game manager, then that's because the Browns feel that is what he is. If he progresses next year, and starts putting up bigger numbers, then I'll think he's "the real deal". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We'll find out next season. If the offense looks the same, and Baker is still being a game manager, then that's because the Browns feel that is what he is. If he progresses next year, and starts putting up bigger numbers, then I'll think he's "the real deal". 

I hear ya, and I think no matter what we're paying him. Why? Because of all the franchises in the world, ours is the one who suffered most by not having a QB. So no matter what, for right or wrong, Baker is here to stay. Because if he leaves, who the hell is replacing him? People might not like the idea of paying someone just because he's "mediocre"...but in Cleveland that's mighty fine. 

However, the good news is that Baker is way more than that. You don't set rookie records on accident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Here's what I want to see, and it will only flesh itself out over time:

Is Stefanski and Co. treating Mayfield almost as a rookie this season, knowing his bad habits and that he needed to be torn down and rebuilt back up? Hence the offense that doesn't ask him to do a ton of heavy lifting? OR, does Stefanski and Co. know exactly what they have in Baker Mayfield, and THAT'S the reason they don't ask him to do a ton? Basically they have a passing attack on training wheels because they think that's his ceiling? 

We'll find out next season. If the offense looks the same, and Baker is still being a game manager, then that's because the Browns feel that is what he is. If he progresses next year, and starts putting up bigger numbers, then I'll think he's "the real deal". 

I think you are overlooking a very obvious 3rd alternative... that this is Stef's offense. Namely run the ball and PA off of the run, and only ask of your QB what the game situation demands of him.

Next year? If we invest heavily in our D, then I'd expect even more of the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think you are overlooking a very obvious 3rd alternative... that this is Stef's offense. Namely run the ball and PA off of the run, and only ask of your QB what the game situation demands of him.

Next year? If we invest heavily in our D, then I'd expect even more of the same.

I'm not overlooking it.

I'm hoping that this is not the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think you are overlooking a very obvious 3rd alternative... that this is Stef's offense. Namely run the ball and PA off of the run, and only ask of your QB what the game situation demands of him.

This is kind of what I was talking about the other day with someone. When has Baker failed to give you what you need in the constructs of the offense? You look at that Raiders game, and that might have actually been one of Baker's best games of the year. He gets a historic low 6 possessions, makes enough throws to win without turning it over, yet his team had a bad day, on both sides of the ball. 

People said, "Ohhh, he can be a game manager but can't pass his way to a win when the defense lets us down." Wrong, he killed the Bengals in the second game when once again the defense shat bed. Not only THAT, but he was damn near perfect for 3 quarters straight AFTER OBJ blew his knee out. Perfect btw. 

Then people said," Well, it was against the Bengals. It doesn't count." Yeah, ask the Titans if the Bengals count. Just about whatever our offense needed at the time, Baker delivered. Is he perfect? No. Has he had bad games? Of course. But who the HELL doesn't have bad games? Baker's productivity is directly tied to what's being asked of him. 

Can he be better? Yes. Will he get better after a season in the same system? I have to believe so. I don't have any stats to support this, but Baker has hit some MONSTER 3rd down conversions this year, and like I keep telling people, he was the top rated red zone passer as of two weeks ago. That's not good enough for people? 

The question people who don't love Baker need to answer is this:  "If not Baker, then what QB do you want?" 

It gets REAL quiet after that. You want Nick Foles? Jameis Winston? Case Keenum? Andy Dalton? Fans really want some retread back under center? How about a rookie. Anybody feel like going down THAT avenue again? Hmmm? 

No! Absolutely not! I won't have it! Baker, I crown you the Browns' franchise QB. It is done! Cause you know, people care about what I think. 😂

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm walking into the gym and I'm not happy about it. Btw, this game terrifies me. I've seen way too many bad games played against the Jags. This seems like a total trap game, and we haven't really pissed down our leg against an inferior team, and virtually EVERY franchise screws up at least once. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×