THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clearly you have more familiarity with this sort of thing than I do.  So maybe you should ask yourself these questions.

You must have visited the polyboard. Your MAGA style comebacks are getting poorer every time.😁

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You must have visited the polyboard. Your MAGA style comebacks are getting poorer every time.😁

What makes you think these are "comebacks"?  Since I have no clue what you have been talking about....as I said,  you are just talking to yourself.  Why don't you must move on to something that makes some sense. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

You may not be dumb enough to believe that but you are dumb enough to ..........try to convince a Trumpette he's 🤴 a huge fraud.

FIFY and I admit it. Ain't no hope for 'em. 👱‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Mailbag yet again...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/hey-terry-the-next-josh-cribbs-for-cleveland-browns-unexpected-cuts-steelers-in-trouble.html

The Vernon Q&A caught my eye. In particular this comment: " According to overthecap.com, Vernon’s $15 million contract is guaranteed on June 1. They can cut him before that and not pay him a dime.

I went to OTC.com and did something I'd never done before, clicked on the drop menu (under the "Dead Money & Cap Savings" header) that defaults to "Cut (Pre-June 1)." Turns out there are 5 more options in the menu.

I clicked on "Cut (Post-June 1)" and nothing changed... for Vernon anyway. Other players partial guarantees kicked in, but nada for Olivier. My guess is that his $15+mm would become guaranteed if he sustains a football injury. (Click on any other option and his salary figure turns "what-I-assume-is" red since turning green would make no sense ;))

So no rush to restructure or cut him... might even let him "test the market" (it worked with Higgie). But no way do I let him set foot in our facility unless we've already decided to keep him at any cost.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Mailbag yet again...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/hey-terry-the-next-josh-cribbs-for-cleveland-browns-unexpected-cuts-steelers-in-trouble.html

The Vernon Q&A caught my eye. In particular this comment: " According to overthecap.com, Vernon’s $15 million contract is guaranteed on June 1. They can cut him before that and not pay him a dime.

I went to OTC.com and did something I'd never done before, clicked on the drop menu (under the "Dead Money & Cap Savings" header) that defaults to "Cut (Pre-June 1)." Turns out there are 5 more options in the menu.

I clicked on "Cut (Post-June 1)" and nothing changed... for Vernon anyway. Other players partial guarantees kicked in, but nada for Olivier. My guess is that his $15+mm would become guaranteed if he sustains a football injury. (Click on any other option and his salary figure turns "what-I-assume-is" red since turning green would make no sense ;))

So no rush to restructure or cut him... might even let him "test the market" (it worked with Higgie). But no way do I let him set foot in our facility unless we've already decided to keep him at any cost.

I'd say the biggest danger to a playoff team in Cleveland is Jimmy's inability to leave the staff in place for more than 15 minutes. Let alone five years.

WSS

• Like 2

Yeah! a football conversation !!  https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/whats-the-deal-with-olivier-vernon-linebackers-whats-the-plan-terrys-talkin-cleveland-browns.html 

good to know Clowney & Myles have same agent.. but i might be watching the numbers that Joey Bosa might see 👀

counting on our TE group blocking on a wide outside island? that*  may need another plan too?  

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Opening line and maybe the best thing Terry could say... " The Browns went into the off-season with a realistic view that they can’t fix everything on the roster."

Plus Terry discovered his earlier Vernon salary mistake... " Earlier in the week, I wrote the Browns had to make a decision on Vernon’s $15 million contract by June 1. That’s wrong. They have until a week before the regular season opens to cut him without having to pay him."

Not sure where the "week before" comes from, but feels "righter". I still think that if he were hurt prior to that then his contract may become fully guaranteed, but apparently that depends upon his individual contract's language. Only instance where an injury guarantee is automatic appears to be in the case of a team exercising a 1st-round draftee's 5th-year option... and that doesn't apply to Vernon, a 3rd-round pick entering his 9th season.

5. There are four key linebackers for three spots: Goodson, Wilson, Takitaki and Phillips. But it’s possible the Browns will use rookie safety Grant Delpit or veteran safety Karl Joseph near the line of scrimmage. That means they’d need only two linebackers.

Feels to me like the underlined is the most likely scenario... at least it does as long as Delpit, Joseph and Sandejo are all healthy.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Feels to me like the underlined is the most likely scenario... at least it does as long as Delpit, Joseph and Sandejo are all healthy.

am really not a big fan of the Joseph pick-up. but am willing on, wait & see. coming out of WVirginia his right knee was bad enough to shut his nfl combine down. And he still ain't right according to Mayock's opinion after cutting him loose ..

but am excited again to watch a lot of Kevin Johnson coming out of Wake Forest.. Greedy or Money Mitch will need to show up to work to keep their CB2 & or slot corner1 positions... If i could find 10lbs to add to KJ's frame? I'd turn KJ loose at free Safety..Johnson has always impressed me by taking some no wasted steps in tackling angles..

as always, it should be a huge factor as to whom can avoid the injuries at the wrong time... and Wills has the cleanest bill of health (by far) of any players we added  

Sunday May 24, 2020.    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/whats-the-deal-with-olivier-vernon-linebackers-whats-the-plan-terrys-talkin-cleveland-browns.html

What’s the deal with Olivier Vernon? Linebackers? What’s the plan? Terry’s Talkin’ Cleveland Browns

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Browns went into the off-season with a realistic view that they can’t fix everything on the roster.

Priorities were set, major holes were to be filled........

Under the hmmmm department........

Vernon has to be aware Jadeveon Clowney has not been a hot item on the free-agent market. I heard he’s still looking for a rich multiyear deal.

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett has the same agent as Clowney (Bus Cook). The Browns are working on a long-term extension for Garrett, and that makes it easy for them to be aware of the status of Clowney.

Vernon missed six games last season because of injuries. He seemed hobbled in at least two others. In 2017 (four missed games) and 2018 (five missed games), he had high ankle sprains.

Vernon is 29, which isn’t extremely old for a defensive end. In his first five NFL seasons, he didn’t miss a game. In the last three, he’s missed 15........

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of major sports in this COVID-19 era, there is some overlap in the NFL NBA NHL here.....I don't know if you have been following the MLB  owners proposal and the players recent counter offer but a lot is on the line.

Terry wrote this four days ago before the players reply but it's right on the money.    https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/05/baseball-is-working-hard-to-make-fans-hate-players-and-owners.html

Baseball is working hard to make fans hate players and owners

Updated May 29, 2020; Posted May 29, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio – “There’s no need to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions."

Those words came from a statement authored by pitcher Max Scherzer, one of eight members of the MLB Players Association subcommittee.

Want to talk pay cuts? Forget about it, says The Players Association......... continued in link.......

I missed this earlier but it couldn't have gone to a better sports writer and person.  Congratulations Terry.  https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2020/04/plain-dealer-sports-columnist-terry-pluto-wins-national-headliner-award.html

Plain Dealer sports columnist Terry Pluto wins National Headliner Award

Plain Dealer sports columnist Terry Pluto, a Cleveland native, has covered sports for 43 years and also writes a regular Faith & You column. (Gus Chan / The Plain Dealer) The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Plain Dealer’s Terry Pluto was named Best Sports Columnist in the 86th National Headliner Awards announced Friday.

“Terry Pluto writes with passion and authority and, best of all, a point of view. He isn’t afraid to call out team ownership, coaches and players, which is what a columnist should do. A strong voice in a sea of chatter,’’ judges wrote in comments about Pluto’s entries.

Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News placed second and Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press was third.

Pluto’s Headliner entry included the back story on how the Cleveland Cavaliers became interested in hiring Coach John Beilein (“It started at a wedding”), a column from the Browns-Steelers game that ended in a brawl (“Will they finally get the message that something is wrong?”) and the Browns finishing the season with a loss and unmet expectations. (“Season finally over, change must be coming”).

Pluto has won numerous Ohio and national writing and reporting awards in a 43-year career. He also has worked at the Akron Beacon Journal, Baltimore Evening Sun and two other papers. He is in his 13th year of his second stay at The Plain Dealer.

Pluto is a member of the Press Club of Cleveland’s Hall of Fame and in 2008 was its first recipient of the Chuck Heaton Award, given to the journalist who “best exemplifies the sensitivity and humility that, along with his journalism heart, were traits exhibited by Chuck Heaton during his exemplary career as a sports writer at The Plain Dealer.’’

Pluto, a graduate of Benedictine High School and Cleveland State, also writes a regular “Faith & You” column for The Plain Dealer and has authored more than 30 books about sports, religion and other topics.

• Thanks 1

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=browns+news

Can the Browns come to rescue of Cleveland sports fans? New idea for defensive end

See article on: www.cleveland.com
By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
2 hrs ago
  • Thanks 1

Clowney had just over 600 snaps in Seattle, playing from Vernon's same DE position 87% of snaps

Emerson Griffin has over 850 snaps/season starting at Minn.., playing 91%* from Garrett's DE position

signed Adrian Clayborn had 446 snaps at Atl, playing 96% from Vernon's same DE position

Berry has one agents phone number to both Clowney & Garrett... Get Clowney in the building for a doc check and let's make a double deal.. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Terry's article in a nutshell:

Q: What does this have to do with the Browns?

A: The 49ers tend to do running back by committee. They believe you can find them most anywhere. Mostert is an example. It’s not where you spend big money.

Q: What about David Njoku wanting to be traded?

A: When it comes to the Browns’ tight end, just like I wrote last week ... you gotta be kidding! He hasn’t been productive enough to make that demand, although it’s a free country when it comes to these matters. We’ll see what the Browns do.

It appears that the BROWNS have their one bookend DE and can now build around that.

I loved Terry's quote on the deal:

......He would be less likely to sign an extension and far more tempted to play out the 2021 season and hit the open market...

And yes, the Browns would look stupid again – especially because Garrett has a sincere interest in staying with the team.......

52 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Garrett is the only player selected in the top five of the 2017 draft who merited his fifth-year option being picked up by the team. So there were a lot of draft mistakes looming in 2017."

the Philly draft was loaded with 3 rounds of good talent.. https://pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/draft.htm deeper than Nashville & Vegas draft depth was, imo.. examples all over the board of misses..  GM's like Elway seeing Jake Butt was one spot better than George Kittle 🙃.. and All 32 teams missed out on Kittle in 4 rounds.. I'm interested now to see Kittle's payday...     

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

kinda sad we can't get Pluto, unless you subscript.. let's see how long this may last before locked?  Could not agree more at #3/#4..  

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/scribbling-about-cleveland-browns-cuts-a-great-day-for-rashard-higgins-terry-pluto.html

• Thanks 1