THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I noticed that, too.

Only thing I can come up with is that to my eye Phillips looks faster on tape. Maybe that's "SEC speed"?

Whatever you call it this was the speediest LSU defense I have ever seen there. I'd be interested to know the number of TDs longer than 50 yds on them. I'll bet there were very few. I do know that despite the fact they played so many highly ranked teams, the average yardage per game over the 15 games was about 344/game and average TDs against the D over those same games was just 2.5

I think one of the ways this draft stands out is that players were chosen if they fit the system, almost to a total disregard of the weaknesses they had in other areas. 

In any draft, with almost every player, you obviously have their strengths and weaknesses. But it seems the gulf between the strengths and weaknesses with some of the players we took are a lot larger than the 'average' selection. The 'glass is half-full' crowd, like Pluto, says we had alignment in values, a plan, and stuck with it, etc. The flip side of that is that, in our system, one hopes that we are able to hide the deficiencies of the players we chose. Of course every team tries to do that but it may be that we will need to do that more than the average team:

Wills- Thought by many to be the best OT prospect available. We depended on Callahan a lot, according to Pluto, in getting info as to how easy it would be to have him change sides. While Callahan has done it with a player before, the fact remains that not many tackles have switched sides in the pros. He fits our system, but this is not a 'plug-and-play' situation, and there is considerable risk here.

Delpit- Maybe the best example. His coverage and center field skills are extraordinary. His tackling is horrendous, minus a small stretch of playoff games. What that means is that every time we see him in a one-on-one tackling situation we will be holding our breath, until he proves otherwise. This is a high risk, high reward situation. But it is not the same high risk, high reward like you see when you choose a player in an early round whom you see has great potential if you can teach him (JaMarcus Russell being one of the best and most well-known example). Delpit is a guy who fits the system of pass defense but once you get outside that area there is a big gulf. 

Harris doesn't have the extreme polar situations which Wills and Delpit potentially have, but it can reasonably be said, imo, that if the Browns didn't have a zone blocking scheme as their system, that Harris would have been a poor pick, as his key attributes are attributed mostly to his ability to play in a zone blocking scheme. 

It has been said that the Bryant pick was a bit of a surprise, and that if we weren't planning to run a 2 (or 3) TE set much of the time, that he wouldn't have been selected. That seems pretty obvious as his main skill is running routes and catching the ball. He isn't going to be put in to block or provide run support. He might fall into a more typical 'strengths and weaknesses' profile.

Teams choose players who fit their system. That's nothing new. We chose a few players, though, that are almost two different players in one. Right now, before any of theses guys play, we can congratulate the Browns for having a coordinated plan and sticking to it. Compared to past drafts, that alone is cause for celebration. And if their plan works, then we can really congratulate them. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Whatever you call it this was the speediest LSU defense I have ever seen there. I'd be interested to know the number of TDs longer than 50 yds on them. I'll bet there were very few. I do know that despite the fact they played so many highly ranked teams, the average yardage per game over the 15 games was about 344/game and average TDs against the D over those same games was just 2.5

What, since A&M joined the conference? 

Off the top, the 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2011 squads were all better.  And that's just within the last 15 or so years.   That 2010 roster was pretty insane.

It's worth considering the absolute bind that LSU's offense puts on other teams.  They were outstanding at throwing 40 and 50 times a game with little to no problem.  Other teams in the SEC? Not so much.  Hell, it wasn't until the arrival of Lane Kiffin that Saban started fielded offenses worth a shit.    Every other year it was a war of attrition and the rest of the conference was so offensively inept it wasn't even funny.

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

What, since A&M joined the conference?

Back to the Chinese Bandit days.🥋

This defense faced higher ranked teams overall than all others and far more varied passing offenses than others had to face. Apples and Oranges.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Back to the Chinese Bandit days.🥋

This defense faced higher ranked teams overall than all others and far more varied passing offenses than others had to face. Apples and Oranges.

- I don't know what that is.   I can make up my own terms as well though.         Asian Cat-burglar. 

- Varied passing offenses? 2011 LSU faced Oregon, WVU, a very good Arkansas team and a pretty good Georgia squad.    All with good and varied passing schemes.   You should really reconsider.  

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I'm also surprised we didn't go after Harrison because he's better against the pass IMO.   1st step instinct doesn't get measured at Indy; but it shows up on film (when seeing how consistently a LB gets into coverage/zone on time).  The volume of pass breakups can also reflect it.

That's not as much of a knock on Phillips as it is a credit to Harrison.  Phillips led the National Champions in Tackles (inclusive of his teammates drafted ahead of him) and he has some good qualities as well. 

Here's a statistical comparison of the 2 guys the last 2 years (both played 27 games). Source: Athlon Sports NFL Draft Guide 2020

Malik Harrison

2018  13 Games 81 Tackles 8.5 Tackles For Loss 2.5 Sacks 3 QB Hurries 1 INT 4 Pass Breakups

2019  14 Games 75 Tackles 16.5 Tackles for Loss 4.5 Sacks 1 OB Hurry 0 INT 4 Pass Breakups

Jacob Phillips

2018  12 Games 87 Tackles 5.5 Tackles For Loss 1 Sack 5 QB Hurries 1 INT 3 Pass Breakups

2019  15 Games 113 Tackles 7.5 Tackles for Loss 1 Sack 3 OB Hurries 0 INT 1 Pass Breakup

Free agency and the draft hasn't solved my biggest concerns with the LB Corps: Inexperience and Depth.  Hope I'm wrong...

A fair question to ask perhaps is:  how/why did Harrison come down with so many sacks comparatively.   An MLB usually doesn't get that many sacks.   Phillips's numbers look more normal there. 

48 minutes ago, Barry said:

I think one of the ways this draft stands out is that players were chosen if they fit the system, almost to a total disregard of the weaknesses they had in other areas. 

In any draft, with almost every player, you obviously have their strengths and weaknesses. But it seems the gulf between the strengths and weaknesses with some of the players we took are a lot larger than the 'average' selection. The 'glass is half-full' crowd, like Pluto, says we had alignment in values, a plan, and stuck with it, etc. The flip side of that is that, in our system, one hopes that we are able to hide the deficiencies of the players we chose. Of course every team tries to do that but it may be that we will need to do that more than the average team:

Of course, opponents, if they are smart they exploit the weaknesses that players have. 

Wills- Thought by many to be the best OT prospect available. We depended on Callahan a lot, according to Pluto, in getting info as to how easy it would be to have him change sides. While Callahan has done it with a player before, the fact remains that not many tackles have switched sides in the pros. He fits our system, but this is not a 'plug-and-play' situation, and there is considerable risk here.

Delpit- Maybe the best example. His coverage and center field skills are extraordinary. His tackling is horrendous, minus a small stretch of playoff games. What that means is that every time we see him in a one-on-one tackling situation we will be holding our breath, until he proves otherwise. This is a high risk, high reward situation. But it is not the same high risk, high reward like you see when you choose a player in an early round whom you see has great potential if you can teach him (JaMarcus Russell being one of the best and most well-known example). Delpit is a guy who fits the system of pass defense but once you get outside that area there is a big gulf. 

Harris doesn't have the extreme polar situations which Wills and Delpit potentially have, but it can reasonably be said, imo, that if the Browns didn't have a zone blocking scheme as their system, that Harris would have been a poor pick, as his key attributes are attributed mostly to his ability to play in a zone blocking scheme. 

It has been said that the Bryant pick was a bit of a surprise, and that if we weren't planning to run a 2 (or 3) TE set much of the time, that he wouldn't have been selected. That seems pretty obvious as his main skill is running routes and catching the ball. He isn't going to be put in to block or provide run support. He might fall into a more typical 'strengths and weaknesses' profile.

Teams choose players who fit their system. That's nothing new. We chose a few players, though, that are almost two different players in one. Right now, before any of theses guys play, we can congratulate the Browns for having a coordinated plan and sticking to it. Compared to past drafts, that alone is cause for celebration. And if their plan works, then we can really congratulate them. 

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

A fair question to ask perhaps is:  how/why did Harrison come down with so many sacks comparatively.   An MLB usually doesn't get that many sacks.   Phillips's numbers look more normal there. 

4.5 sacks is on the high end but not so above and beyond the nominal that it requires such in depth analysis.

Truth is, QB play in the B1G was down overall compared to some previous seasons.   Teams tend to leave their backs in for protection for "lesser" QB's so if your assignment is to track and you get a green light on reading a release, you can pressure if he stays.   Toss in OSU having some very large leads at many points during the season and our defensive coaches being aggressive up front even with said leads...        That's pretty much the net result.        

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I guess I should consider "speed" in different ways.   I didn't check the 10 and 20 yard splits between the two, so that might offer some insight into Tony's comments.      Also, vertical and broad jump tend to be good indicators of straight line explosion (downhill).   Something Phillips edged out Malik on.   But where Malik won as the shuttle and cone, things that showcase balance and change of direction.  

Malik - 6'3 247lbs

Jacob - 6'3 229lbs.       Pretty impressive the 40 ended up being the same despite MH being almost 20lbs heavier.    

Another curiousity Tony pointed out.   About the SAM ILB bit.   I wonder if that means what I think it means?  We'll be seeing more 3 man fronts. (Odd, Bear, overload, eagle, under, even)   Because that particular language to me screams 2 ILB's playing between the tackles. 

Here's Jacob Phillips combine measurements and his grade.  He's actually listed at 6'4" and 233 lbs although scrolling down further shows his Pro Day on 4/3/20 lists him at 6'3" and 229 lbs.  They gave him a D for a grade fwiw.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=30236

Ya still can't beat Harrison's numbers with a stick to Jacobs, when adding in Malik's already NFL no neck frame with the extra 12 lbs.. Than Conners wants to still bowl ya over in the chest... intangible... Would Berry have put a small * on the board when drafting Delpit?.. than another * on Phillips ahead of Harrison? after seeing the Bengals drafted Joe Burrow? those 3-cone difference's may make the difference of arm tackling Lamar vs missing his shoelaces... 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Interesting.   Phillips and Malik's 10/20 yard splits are almost the exact same according to that site. 

Very interesting.  Thanks Tia! I was editing during your reply to me to add in the height and weight for Phillips at his Pro Day on 4/03.  He lost an inch on the height and 4 lbs on his weight 1 month after the Combine. 

I'm glad our DC had input on this considering it's his scheme he compared the 2 guys for.

37 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Very interesting.  Thanks Tia! I was editing during your reply to me to add in the height and weight for Phillips at his Pro Day on 4/03.  He lost an inch on the height and 4 lbs on his weight 1 month after the Combine. 

I'm glad our DC had input on this considering it's his scheme he compared the 2 guys for.

At this point I'm almost ready to throw out combine measurements after being told Kyler Murray was 5'10.   

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Two things...OSU put a lot of teams in trouble early forcing the pass game. And this isn’t the Cooper Tressel Buckeyes LB play.  The scheme since Meyer took over has been Centered around Man coverage and attacking backers and they may drop a DE or backer in coverage and the next play they send them at the QB.  It helps that the pocket is collapsing and the QB is well off his spot over the years with Bosa, Young, etc. 

Harrison has great instincts and plays zone coverage well too  It’s a shame we will face him twice each year 

It benefited some and not others.

Davon Hamilton (i loved in this draft) was docked by a lot of talking heads because they said he didn’t make enough “plays” well His strength is clearly as run stopper but he’s flashed the ability to shoot gaps and pressure the QB too like he did in the Senior Bowl.  There wasn’t a lot of “establishing the run” or playing with a lead against OSU in 2019 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

- I don't know what that is.   I can make up my own terms as well though.         Asian Cat-burglar. 

- Varied passing offenses? 2011 LSU faced Oregon, WVU, a very good Arkansas team and a pretty good Georgia squad.    All with good and varied passing schemes.   You should really reconsider.  

Your distant education is sadly lacking. Part of the National Champs of 1958 with Billy Cannon playing both ways. They even had their own song when they came on the field. Oh and they also had the "Hold That Tiger Song". Every now and then they will still play the Chinese Bandit opening.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, tiamat63 said:

I didn't check the 10 and 20 yard splits between the two

No significant difference there. Jacob does show slightly more "suddenness" of power in his Vert and Broad.

They are really quite the same across the board except for 3-cone. While Harrison's sub-7 time is in DB territory, Phillips' 7.38 is well off the norm for an "athletic" LB. Surely he trained for it, but since so few ran it this Combine I have to believe he was expecting a better showing.

image.png.7fe58d5602239106decdc99966150a4f.pngimage.png.05ff9a71e807f32e9f779cfac106ef8e.png

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You'll have to forgive me for not being a student of 50's football.  It's practically not even the same game and hasn't been as much for at least 30 years.   

Careful-you're stepping on Jim Brown and Browns' history there.😁 Plus the late Ernie Davis who took the Syracuse team to the National Championship the following year. You have no idea how much fun radio football was back in the days before a lot of college games got on TV. Living in Beaumont in far southeast Texas across the border from La. I loved listening to both LSU and A&M games on radio. Of course LSU won it all the year after Bear Bryant left A&M to go to Alabama. Some great Heisman winners in the 50's. Alan Ameche-Wisc., Howard "Hopalong" Cassady-Ohio St., Paul Hornung-N.D., John David Crow-A&M, Pete Dawkins-Army and Billy Cannon-LSU. And the radio announcers had the gift of bringing the game to life without pictures, only their voice and the voices of the crowd. Radio Days-nothin' like it.📻👍

10 hours ago, Barry said:

Sorry to quote the whole thing (I hate when people do that)...but you made so many good points.

We had a draft plan and pretty much stuck to it.  -  Something that Freddie didn't do with his offensive play calling.

Wills being a RT and the switch to LT not being easy. - I agree.  Berry says, Tackles are Tackles....and that defenses put their best pass rusher in different spots along the DLine.  But that doesn't mean that the positions are the same.  Wills would not be the first RT not able to make the switch to LT.  (and I'm NOT saying that he WILL fail....just that it's not a given).    But even if he cannot adequately handle the LT spot, Concklin has played LT.

Delpit - IMO we've always failed miserably at covering good TE's.  I think Stef knows the value of good TE's and he wants to try to stop other teams from doing to us what he wants to do to them with his own TE's.

Harris - I think he was selected as a future Center.  But for now he can be depth at C & G.  Perhaps, if he shows well, he could be the RG.

Bryant - Well, Stef loves TE's.  And apparently the guy can catch.  Of course we have Hooper & Njoku, so, I'm also wondering who is gonna be the blocking TE's...and how many of them will we have?   Unless the FB will be a blocking TE....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

Sorry to quote the whole thing (I hate when people do that)...but you made so many good points.

We had a draft plan and pretty much stuck to it.  -  Something that Freddie didn't do with his offensive play calling.

Wills being a RT and the switch to LT not being easy. - I agree.  Berry says, Tackles are Tackles....and that defenses put their best pass rusher in different spots along the DLine.  But that doesn't mean that the positions are the same.  Wills would not be the first RT not able to make the switch to LT.  (and I'm NOT saying that he WILL fail....just that it's not a given).    But even if he cannot adequately handle the LT spot, Concklin has played LT.

Delpit - IMO we've always failed miserably at covering good TE's.  I think Stef knows the value of good TE's and he wants to try to stop other teams from doing to us what he wants to do to them with his own TE's.

Harris - I think he was selected as a future Center.  But for now he can be depth at C & G.  Perhaps, if he shows well, he could be the RG.

Bryant - Well, Stef loves TE's.  And apparently the guy can catch.  Of course we have Hooper & Njoku, so, I'm also wondering who is gonna be the blocking TE's...and how many of them will we have?   Unless the FB will be a blocking TE....

Thanks for the kudos. If I sounded pessimistic I didn't intend to. I am generally optimistic about this group but just wanted to note the concerns. I think what's different about this draft is that in the past we were worried about whether a player's ability would translate to the pros. With this draft I don't think many people question the talent is there at the pro level. It's just making sure that it fits the scheme as well it seems it will.

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

in the past we were worried about whether a player's ability would translate to the pros.

You can say that again!

You didn't sound pessimistic to me.  -  I'm pessimistic.  That way I don't get so disappointed.  :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

You can say that again!

You didn't sound pessimistic to me.  -  I'm pessimistic.  That way I don't get so disappointed.  :)

I lived in Boston for 7 years- before the Sox won the W.S. for the first time in 1,000 years. I know that New England pessimism! 😁

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You'll have to forgive me for not being a student of 50's football.  It's practically not even the same game and hasn't been as much for at least 30 years.   

Don't worry. The closer the approach to 75 the less other people remember.  LOL!😱😁

Here is a radio broadcast of the end of the Texas - Ark game in 1969. Kern Tips was the radio guy doing the verbal broadcast for people who could not actually see the game you see here. And he is calling this through just eyes and binoculars since he cannot see the TV images you see. He was the radio voice of  SW Conference football from the 50-70s. You will hear the name Koy called as a Texas halfback on the play after this long pass. Ted Koy played TE for mainly the Bills.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Don't worry. The closer the approach to 75 the less other people remember.  LOL!😱😁

Here is a radio broadcast of the end of the Texas - Ark game in 1969. Kern Tips was the radio guy doing the verbal broadcast for people who could not actually see the game you see here. And he is calling this through just eyes and binoculars since he cannot see the TV images you see. He was the radio voice of  SW Conference football from the 50-70s. You will hear the name Koy called as a Texas halfback on the play after this long pass. Ted Koy played TE for mainly the Bills.

FYI,  there was not a black kid on either team there in 1969.    Segregation in its last gasp in the south at that point. Even though  integration was forced on Alabama U when James Meredith was enrolled there a few years earlier, and even though a guy named OJ Simpson was tearing up college football,  those southern football teams would still not integrate.  But, when Alabama got pounded by USC....and particularly by Sam Bam Cunningham.....Bear Bryant finally determined that he had to go get him some black boys to play for him. 

14 hours ago, Barry said:

I lived in Boston for 7 years- before the Sox won the W.S. for the first time in 1,000 years. I know that New England pessimism! 😁

That is not "pessimism"  that is  whinyassbitchism.  Boston's basketball team had been winning a ton of titles;  their hockey team had won titles.  And by 2004 their football team had won a couple of titles.  And look since how many titles each of those Boston area teams have won. They are overprivileged little cuntholes is what they are,  not "pessimists".   

Now, in Cleveland, we have pessimism.  The football team not appearing in a title game since 1964.  Then the  1997 and 2016 7th game extra inning losses in the World Series.    It has waned a bit since the Cavs won in 2016....but its still there big time, really.  When the Browns and Indians win...then maybe it will go away. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That is not "pessimism"  that is  whinyassbitchism.  Boston's basketball team had been winning a ton of titles;  their hockey team had won titles.  And by 2004 their football team had won a couple of titles.  And look since how many titles each of those Boston area teams have won. They are overprivileged little cuntholes is what they are,  not "pessimists".   

Now, in Cleveland, we have pessimism.  The football team not appearing in a title game since 1964.  Then the  1997 and 2016 7th game extra inning losses in the World Series.    It has waned a bit since the Cavs won in 2016....but its still there big time, really.  When the Browns and Indians win...then maybe it will go away. 

Ok. What you say is true. You still need to double your Valium dosage though ( j/k!)   😉

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

FYI,  there was not a black kid on either team there in 1969.    Segregation in its last gasp in the south at that point. Even though  integration was forced on Alabama U when James Meredith was enrolled there a few years earlier, and even though a guy named OJ Simpson was tearing up college football,  those southern football teams would still not integrate.  But, when Alabama got pounded by USC....and particularly by Sam Bam Cunningham.....Bear Bryant finally determined that he had to go get him some black boys to play for him. 

Hayden Fry of SMU was the icebreaker in the mid-60s for the SWC with Jerry Levias, born about 6 months before I was in our hometown of Beaumont, Texas. A second round pick of the old AFL by the Oilers. Now works for the Texans as a PR "Ambassador". There was another player at Baylor who came in the same year (1966) named John Westbrook. Levias was 1st team SWC all 3 eligible years and AA his senior year. Think speed and hands.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There's a good documentary regarding the USC vs Alabama game, and it insinuates that Bear Bryant specifically scheduled that game knowing Alabama would lose so that their fans would see that if they want a great team, they needed to have black players. 

• Upvote 1