Westside Steve

The official Terry Pluto thread

Just now, mjp28 said:

Terry just has a way with words....in a nutshell.    ;)

Of course there is always that old saying about nutshells and it is more apropos to the polyboard. Any theory which can be placed in a nutshell belongs there.🤣🥜🐒

I guess Baker did not play with his right foot forward in 2018...

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:58 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Wentz has missed 8 starts out of 64 possible. 

Comparing him with Bowie, Oden, Jackson and Charboneau is ridiculous. 

Or Yao Ming where Made in China = Stayed on sideline.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He played with his right foot forward which is the wrong foot, but if he puts his left foot forward will Gorka still love him?😍

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hokie Pokie lesson needed.

After all, that's what its all about.

• Haha 1

Another Terry Gem. 

"I’m not going to tell the fans how they should feel about the changes. No football fan base has ever been emotionally abused and traumatized like those who love the orange helmets."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/dealing-with-firinghiring-fatigue-that-comes-with-being-a-cleveland-browns-fan.html

Good read Terry hits on a variety of important topics -but- I liked this comment.

Q: So what’s your point?

A: Maybe Stefanski is the next Sean McDermott or Sean McVay. Berry has never run his own draft or free-agent quest. My view is at least give them a chance to mess up before writing them off.

Q: I know, you want to be fair... blah... blah... blah.

As we get closer to the draft these questions are popping up, see link.https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/hey-terry-should-the-cleveland-browns-bring-in-a-qb-to-compete-with-baker-mayfield.html

Terry, should the Cleveland Browns bring in a QB to compete with Baker Mayfield?

Updated Feb 19, 2020; Posted Feb 19, 2020

Do the Cleveland Browns need a veteran QB to help Baker Mayfield? Photo by John Kuntz / cleveland.comcleveland.com

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A new regime with the Cleveland Browns leads to some new/old questions. A favorite topic? Quarterbacks.

HEY, TERRY: New coach, new QB. Why not bring in someone to compete with Baker (Mayfield)?

– Ed Bonchak, Concord Township

HEY, TERRY: What are the chances of the Browns drafting or signing a QB capable of taking over if Mayfield doesn’t show any progress?

– Tom Parks, Mayfield Heights

HEY, ED & TOM: Ed mentioned three names: Marcus Mariota, Case Keenum and Nick Foles. I like the last two with their primary role being a veteran backup. I believe it’s imperative they bring in a viable veteran who helps set the tone for Mayfield in terms of what it means to be a long-term NFL QB. But I don’t want an open QB competition.

HEY, TERRY: Any inkling the Browns might take a QB in the third round or later?

– Fritz Johnson, New Philadelphia

HEY, FRITZ: I’ve not heard anything either way on QB plans in the draft, but I’d be open to taking a QB in the lower rounds....... continued in the link........

March Madness time and the MAC, with BG, KSU ......and Akron?  Best in the MAC?    https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2020/03/one-slice-of-pizza-welcome-to-tournament-time-for-akron-kent-state-and-the-mid-american-conference.html

KENT, Ohio – Kent State basketball coach Rob Senderoff sat in his office, staring at a tape of his team’s last game against the University of Akron.

That was a 68-67 victory over the Zips on Kent’s home court.

“We are 3-0 against the top two teams in our league,” said Senderoff when we met Wednesday afternoon.

He was talking about the 23-7 Zips (13-4 in the MAC) and 21-9 Bowling Green (12-5 in the MAC)........

The Zips start four seniors and Jackson, a 23-year-old junior (eligibility) who is already enrolled in graduate school. That’s why I like their chances to win the MAC tournament, and deliver an upset in the NCAA Tournament......continued in the link......

This is a GOOD READ from Terry Pluto during our little extended vacation from sports, check it out.  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/what-kind-of-free-agent-period-will-this-be-for-the-cleveland-browns-how-about-some-trades.html

What kind of free-agent period will this be for the Cleveland Browns? How about some trades?

Updated 10:51 AM; Today 6:30 AM.   ~ GOOD READ, SOME TIDBITS ~

So how did it work out, especially after two years?

1. The only player acquired in those deals still with the Browns is Landry, who continues to perform at a Pro Bowl level. I often hear the Browns “overpaid” Landry in his five-year, $75-million contract extension ($47 million guaranteed). He plays every game. He’s productive. He likes it here. I’m all for Landry. It’s one of Dorsey’s best moves.

2. Landry is now entering into the non-guaranteed part of his contract, which runs for three more years. He received $34 million when he signed the extension in 2018, according to overthecap.com.

Dorsey paid big money for free agent right tackle Chris Hubbard. He never could find a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas. Remember Desmond Harrison and Greg Robinson? Both had their chances. Both also are now out of football. Both were arrested after leaving the Browns.........

Osweiler had $16 million guaranteed left on his contract. The Browns were using some of their massive salary cap room to take on the contract, knowing they’d probably cut him.

They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

The Browns still have $67 million in salary-cap space. According to overthecap.com, that’s No. 7 in the NFL. DePodesta and Brown were the driving forces behind the Osweiler deal. Current GM Andrew Berry was part of that front office.

Taking on “bad contracts” to add draft picks is common in the NBA. The Cavs have often made these type of deals. It makes sense in the NFL.......

Like I said GOOD READ !

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

"The little Big Deal" I might be a redneck if?;) the Cleveland media would stop dumping blame on GM's that knew exactly what they were doing... There is No way JD or any GM "Valued  Austin Corbett over Nick Chubb" 

Fact 1= The Giants drafted RB Saquon Barkley #2... Here's the 1st 5 picks of round 2 in 2018

33. Brns- G-Austin Corbett

34. NYG- G-Will Hernandez (rated BPA at G at pick)

35. Brns.- RB-Nick Chubb (Oswieler pick)

36. Colts- LB-Darius Leonard*

37. Colts- G-Braden Smith*

I can buy, if they want to scream that either D. Leonard* or B.Smith* should have been the right pick at #33... but i ain't buying any GM on the Planet thought the Giants were taking another RB at #34 after already drafting Barkley at #2.. Dorsey played the positioning of pick right..Scouts with Dorsey just picked the wrong guy at pick #33..had nothing to do with who Dorsey valued higher..sorry Pluto, but am not buying that sell job...ever!    

• Upvote 1

Dusted off the Pluto pages.. his stock dropped to page 4... https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/cleveland-browns-scribbles-any-more-big-moves-coming-heres-what-im-hearing.html    Carl Nassib got 3Y/25M..... Ogbah? 2 years for 15M...  am no cap expert 🤓.. but trading or releasing Vernon by June 1st could save 15.5M cap savings with a *Zero$ dead cap hit? Depo, as the 'find a way guy' it's your turn at the Titanic wheel.. 

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

his stock dropped to page 4.

Whose stock dropped?

With Terry looking for one more splash signing at DE I thought I'd look beyond Griffen, Clowney and (ugh) Golden, but that's for another thread.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Whose stock dropped?

19eG.gif   The Terry Pluto BB topic fell way back to page 4... don't ever let that happen again ;)     

• Thanks 1