THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

Just now, mjp28 said:

Terry just has a way with words....in a nutshell.    ;)

Of course there is always that old saying about nutshells and it is more apropos to the polyboard. Any theory which can be placed in a nutshell belongs there.🤣🥜🐒

Another Terry Gem. 

"I’m not going to tell the fans how they should feel about the changes. No football fan base has ever been emotionally abused and traumatized like those who love the orange helmets."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/dealing-with-firinghiring-fatigue-that-comes-with-being-a-cleveland-browns-fan.html

Good read Terry hits on a variety of important topics -but- I liked this comment.

Q: So what’s your point?

A: Maybe Stefanski is the next Sean McDermott or Sean McVay. Berry has never run his own draft or free-agent quest. My view is at least give them a chance to mess up before writing them off.

Q: I know, you want to be fair... blah... blah... blah.

As we get closer to the draft these questions are popping up, see link.https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/hey-terry-should-the-cleveland-browns-bring-in-a-qb-to-compete-with-baker-mayfield.html

Terry, should the Cleveland Browns bring in a QB to compete with Baker Mayfield?

Updated Feb 19, 2020; Posted Feb 19, 2020

Do the Cleveland Browns need a veteran QB to help Baker Mayfield? Photo by John Kuntz / cleveland.comcleveland.com

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A new regime with the Cleveland Browns leads to some new/old questions. A favorite topic? Quarterbacks.

HEY, TERRY: New coach, new QB. Why not bring in someone to compete with Baker (Mayfield)?

– Ed Bonchak, Concord Township

HEY, TERRY: What are the chances of the Browns drafting or signing a QB capable of taking over if Mayfield doesn’t show any progress?

– Tom Parks, Mayfield Heights

HEY, ED & TOM: Ed mentioned three names: Marcus Mariota, Case Keenum and Nick Foles. I like the last two with their primary role being a veteran backup. I believe it’s imperative they bring in a viable veteran who helps set the tone for Mayfield in terms of what it means to be a long-term NFL QB. But I don’t want an open QB competition.

HEY, TERRY: Any inkling the Browns might take a QB in the third round or later?

– Fritz Johnson, New Philadelphia

HEY, FRITZ: I’ve not heard anything either way on QB plans in the draft, but I’d be open to taking a QB in the lower rounds....... continued in the link........

March Madness time and the MAC, with BG, KSU ......and Akron?  Best in the MAC?    https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2020/03/one-slice-of-pizza-welcome-to-tournament-time-for-akron-kent-state-and-the-mid-american-conference.html

KENT, Ohio – Kent State basketball coach Rob Senderoff sat in his office, staring at a tape of his team’s last game against the University of Akron.

That was a 68-67 victory over the Zips on Kent’s home court.

“We are 3-0 against the top two teams in our league,” said Senderoff when we met Wednesday afternoon.

He was talking about the 23-7 Zips (13-4 in the MAC) and 21-9 Bowling Green (12-5 in the MAC)........

The Zips start four seniors and Jackson, a 23-year-old junior (eligibility) who is already enrolled in graduate school. That’s why I like their chances to win the MAC tournament, and deliver an upset in the NCAA Tournament......continued in the link......

This is a GOOD READ from Terry Pluto during our little extended vacation from sports, check it out.  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/what-kind-of-free-agent-period-will-this-be-for-the-cleveland-browns-how-about-some-trades.html

What kind of free-agent period will this be for the Cleveland Browns? How about some trades?

Updated 10:51 AM; Today 6:30 AM.   ~ GOOD READ, SOME TIDBITS ~

So how did it work out, especially after two years?

1. The only player acquired in those deals still with the Browns is Landry, who continues to perform at a Pro Bowl level. I often hear the Browns “overpaid” Landry in his five-year, $75-million contract extension ($47 million guaranteed). He plays every game. He’s productive. He likes it here. I’m all for Landry. It’s one of Dorsey’s best moves.

2. Landry is now entering into the non-guaranteed part of his contract, which runs for three more years. He received $34 million when he signed the extension in 2018, according to overthecap.com.

Dorsey paid big money for free agent right tackle Chris Hubbard. He never could find a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas. Remember Desmond Harrison and Greg Robinson? Both had their chances. Both also are now out of football. Both were arrested after leaving the Browns.........

Osweiler had $16 million guaranteed left on his contract. The Browns were using some of their massive salary cap room to take on the contract, knowing they’d probably cut him.

They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

The Browns still have $67 million in salary-cap space. According to overthecap.com, that’s No. 7 in the NFL. DePodesta and Brown were the driving forces behind the Osweiler deal. Current GM Andrew Berry was part of that front office.

Taking on “bad contracts” to add draft picks is common in the NBA. The Cavs have often made these type of deals. It makes sense in the NFL.......

Like I said GOOD READ !

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

"The little Big Deal" I might be a redneck if?;) the Cleveland media would stop dumping blame on GM's that knew exactly what they were doing... There is No way JD or any GM "Valued  Austin Corbett over Nick Chubb" 

Fact 1= The Giants drafted RB Saquon Barkley #2... Here's the 1st 5 picks of round 2 in 2018

33. Brns- G-Austin Corbett

34. NYG- G-Will Hernandez (rated BPA at G at pick)

35. Brns.- RB-Nick Chubb (Oswieler pick)

36. Colts- LB-Darius Leonard*

37. Colts- G-Braden Smith*

I can buy, if they want to scream that either D. Leonard* or B.Smith* should have been the right pick at #33... but i ain't buying any GM on the Planet thought the Giants were taking another RB at #34 after already drafting Barkley at #2.. Dorsey played the positioning of pick right..Scouts with Dorsey just picked the wrong guy at pick #33..had nothing to do with who Dorsey valued higher..sorry Pluto, but am not buying that sell job...ever!    

• Upvote 1

Dusted off the Pluto pages.. his stock dropped to page 4... https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/cleveland-browns-scribbles-any-more-big-moves-coming-heres-what-im-hearing.html    Carl Nassib got 3Y/25M..... Ogbah? 2 years for 15M...  am no cap expert 🤓.. but trading or releasing Vernon by June 1st could save 15.5M cap savings with a *Zero$ dead cap hit? Depo, as the 'find a way guy' it's your turn at the Titanic wheel.. 

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

his stock dropped to page 4.

Whose stock dropped?

With Terry looking for one more splash signing at DE I thought I'd look beyond Griffen, Clowney and (ugh) Golden, but that's for another thread.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Whose stock dropped?

19eG.gif   The Terry Pluto BB topic fell way back to page 4... don't ever let that happen again ;)     

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only made it to the middle of page 3 this time... but it's not my job.... it's Steve's...

Basically Berry is not worrying about which side an OT has played...

“Tackles are tackles” - scribbling about Cleveland Browns and Andrew Berry’s press conference

Updated 11:07 AM; Today 10:54 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook after listening to GM Andrew Berry’s Friday morning conference call:

1. Assuming the Browns stay at No. 10 in the 2020 NFL Draft, they probably will have a chance to select one of the top tackles projected to go high in the first round. Most scouts put four in that category, but not all have much experience at left tackle. After signing free agent Jack Conklin to play right tackle, the Browns need a left tackle.

2. That’s why I asked Berry if he was concerned about picking a player high who has had little experience at left tackle. His answer was direct and revealing: “I think the distinction between left tackle and right tackle is really outdated... tackles are tackles.”

3. In the old days, you took the best athlete on the offensive line and put him at left tackle. He’d lined up against the prime pass rusher. But as Berry mentioned, defenses move their pass rusher around the line of scrimmage.

4. Berry explained: “I think the two tackle positions, while they are not identical, they’re pretty close.”

5. What does that mean for the Browns? Many draft experts have Alabama’s Jedrick Wills Jr. rated as the top tackle in the draft. How often has he played left tackle? Never in college, although he did play it in high school.

6. Does this mean the Browns would take Wills? Or how about Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, rated as the No. 2 tackle by some draft experts. Watching offensive linemen is not my passion. Nor do I know much about the tackle position. With that said, my favorite in the draft is Wirfs, primarily because he played at Iowa where Kirk Ferentz has a program that grooms NFL linemen.

7. Wirfs played four college games at left tackle, 29 at right tackle. In his draft guide, The Athletic’s Dane Brugler wrote Wirfs was “considered interchangeable on the left or right sides. He played mostly right tackle because Alaric Jackson was a better left tackle than right tackle.”

8. The next two players on the list are Louisville’s Mekhi Becton and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas. Both are primarily left tackles. My sense is Berry wants the NFL to know he’s keeping his options open when it comes to tackles in the draft. But he talked about Conklin switching from left tackle in college to right tackle in the pros.

9. I think Berry’s goal will be to draft the best tackle available... period. All that can change with the acquisition of a veteran left tackle who starts. I’m sure the Browns have lots of data and have studied the left/right tackle debate before Berry delivered his “tackles are tackles” pronouncement.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/tackle-are-tackles-scribbling-about-cleveland-browns-andrew-berrys-press-conference.html

...and I agree with Pluto's final assessment.  Take the GOOD LT at #10 and don't screw around hoping that you can get a guy named Cleveland in the 2nd round.  LT is too important to screw around with.  MHO

"But I do know this, something is going on with the Browns and possibly trading down."-TP

"Bob I got a bad feelin' on this one, alright! I mean I got a bad feelin'!" - scene from the BB the year we dropped down for Coleman.....Or Platoon. Take Ur choice.😱

I'm quite sure when the final numbers are in this will be TRUE.  Look for plenty of LSU, OHIO STATE, ALA players.

....3. That said, there are some pretty good players coming out of the Big Ten, especially a certain school in Columbus. But I can’t disagree with Stefanski about the SEC. Or as GM Andrew Berry said: “These are all good players in arguably the best conference in college football.”....

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Per the article:

"The scheme was why the Browns drafted LSU linebacker Jacob Phillips (No. 97) over Ohio State linebacker Malik Harrison. In the Joe Woods defense, that inside SAM linebacker needs more speed – a strength for Phillips. Harrison is an old-fashioned run-stopper."

Per NFL.com

MALIK HARRISON

40 Yard Dash
4.66u

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle

-------------------------------------------------------

JACOB PHILLIPS

40 Yard Dash
4.66u

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle

35 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I guess I could buy the "speed" thing if it were actually true. 

I guess it must be "SEC speed"...?

Right....in all those speed categories Harrison is equal or better.  

I personally think this will prove to be a mistake.....but hopefully not. 

This has shades of Barkevious Mingo to it. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

True, I've always liked him as a Cleveland sports writer and a decent guy.

5. The Browns didn’t intend to pick a tight end at the start of the draft, but they were overjoyed when Harrison Bryant fell to them in the fourth round. Bryant is the Mackey Award winner as college football’s best tight end. He showed excellent pass receiving skills at Florida Atlantic. Stefanski loves tight ends. Don’t think twice, grab him now... and they did.

6. Why draft Nick Harris in the fifth round? Like Bryant, there is no reason to expect him to start this season. But Harris is a zone-blocking center, perfect for Callahan’s scheme. He is the “tough, smart and accountable” athlete loved by Browns scouts. He also played 17 games for Washington at guard. This pick, No. 160, came from the Indianapolis Colts when the Browns dropped from No. 41 to No. 44 in the second round.

9. The Browns want to begin developing their young players, not simply throwing them immediately into action. It’s what good, stable organizations do. It’s what the Browns have never done since 1999 because of all the changes. The hope is ownership will be patient with Berry/Stefanski, who do seem to work well together.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Trust me, how these two guys do in their relative careers will be watched by many of us. 

And what's the size comp between the two, because I'm pretty sure Harrison had him beat their too. 

I'm baffled by the local media's complete love affair for this draft. Was it a bad one? No. But there's some definite questions in the middle rounds. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I should consider "speed" in different ways.   I didn't check the 10 and 20 yard splits between the two, so that might offer some insight into Tony's comments.      Also, vertical and broad jump tend to be good indicators of straight line explosion (downhill).   Something Phillips edged out Malik on.   But where Malik won as the shuttle and cone, things that showcase balance and change of direction.  

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Trust me, how these two guys do in their relative careers will be watched by many of us. 

And what's the size comp between the two, because I'm pretty sure Harrison had him beat their too. 

I'm baffled by the local media's complete love affair for this draft. Was it a bad one? No. But there's some definite questions in the middle rounds. 

Malik - 6'3 247lbs

Jacob - 6'3 229lbs.       Pretty impressive the 40 ended up being the same despite MH being almost 20lbs heavier.    

Another curiousity Tony pointed out.   About the SAM ILB bit.   I wonder if that means what I think it means?  We'll be seeing more 3 man fronts. (Odd, Bear, overload, eagle, under, even)   Because that particular language to me screams 2 ILB's playing between the tackles. 

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I'm also surprised we didn't go after Harrison because he's better against the pass IMO.   1st step instinct doesn't get measured at Indy; but it shows up on film (when seeing how consistently a LB gets into coverage/zone on time).  The volume of pass breakups can also reflect it.

That's not as much of a knock on Phillips as it is a credit to Harrison.  Phillips led the National Champions in Tackles (inclusive of his teammates drafted ahead of him) and he has some good qualities as well. 

Here's a statistical comparison of the 2 guys the last 2 years (both played 27 games). Source: Athlon Sports NFL Draft Guide 2020

Malik Harrison

2018  13 Games 81 Tackles 8.5 Tackles For Loss 2.5 Sacks 3 QB Hurries 1 INT 4 Pass Breakups

2019  14 Games 75 Tackles 16.5 Tackles for Loss 4.5 Sacks 1 OB Hurry 0 INT 4 Pass Breakups

Jacob Phillips

2018  12 Games 87 Tackles 5.5 Tackles For Loss 1 Sack 5 QB Hurries 1 INT 3 Pass Breakups

2019  15 Games 113 Tackles 7.5 Tackles for Loss 1 Sack 3 OB Hurries 0 INT 1 Pass Breakup

Free agency and the draft hasn't solved my biggest concerns with the LB Corps: Inexperience and Depth.  Hope I'm wrong...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I noticed that, too.

Only thing I can come up with is that to my eye Phillips looks faster on tape. Maybe that's "SEC speed"?