THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

Today from Terry Pluto, a good Thanksgiving weekend read! 

CLEVELAND – Every Thanksgiving, I write Thank You column to you, the readers.

Without you, the readers.

There is no us, the writers.

I am especially thankful because I started in this business when stories were written on typewriters.

Some of you reading that sentence may think, “I’ve heard of typewriter. Not sure what it looked like or what it did. Was it compatible with MAC or Microsoft?"

That’s OK. When I covered the Indians during my first tour of duty at The Plain Dealer, we went on West Coast trips via wagon train...... continued......

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/cleveland-sports-a-reason-to-give-thanks-to-fans-readers-and-the-teams-we-watch.html

• Upvote 1

We saw it, Terry said it......  

......Then you look at the game plan the Browns had for Pittsburgh... and what happened?

The Browns lost to a Steeler team without its star QB (Ben Roethlisbeger), best wide receiver (JuJu Smith-Schuster), top running back (James Conner) and Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey (suspended).

The Browns were up 10-0 in the middle of the second quarter. The Steelers made some adjustments. Then the Browns just looked like a bunch of guys who couldn’t find their cellphone, staggering around feeling lost......

Odell in a nutshell:

Q: Lots of questions, right?

A: Exactly. With four games left, I doubt any of those answers are apparent right now. It is obvious Beckham and the offense currently constructed are not made for each other. And the strength of this offense is the running backs. Not only are Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt terrific running the ball, they also can catch it.

Q: Where are you going with this stream of consciousness rambling?

A: I imagine Odell sees the same things. There’s Hunt. There’s Chubb. There’s Landry. Offensive coordinator Todd Monken answered a question about Odell not getting the ball more by mentioning those three players, then explaining the obvious: “We have only one football.”

From linked "film study" article in the first of the two latest Pluto articles... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

This video was used to show how a protection breakdown negated a deep ball opportunity (OBJ running an out at the 43 at top left against double). What I see is a QB scrambling with his eyes fixed upon the rush missing wide-open opportunities to his left at the 24 and right at the 15. Note that the Brown to Baker's right is waving his raised hand.

This is more disturbing to me than the analyst's case than an "open" OBJ. I dispute how open a WR covered by an under, inside trail CB and an over, forward facing Safety really is.

The bigger point is the field vision under pressure of our 2nd=year QB. I don't recall it being this limited last season.

image.png.1f8a22823439f772fc951498bc5f3a28.png

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, Tour2ma said:

From linked "film study" article in the first of the two latest Pluto articles... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

This video was used to show how a protection breakdown negated a deep ball opportunity (OBJ running an out at the 43 at top left against double). What I see is a QB scrambling with his eyes fixed upon the rush missing wide-open opportunities to his left at the 24 and right at the 15. Note that the Brown to Baker's right is waving his raised hand.

This is more disturbing to me than the analyst's case than an "open" OBJ. I dispute how open a WR covered by an under, inside trail CB and an over, forward facing Safety really is.

The bigger point is the field vision under pressure of our 2nd=year QB. I don't recall it being this limited last season.

He had a better OL last year. A little more time to go through progressions.

• Upvote 1

I like this line of thinking, chopped up and put together for this game:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Talking to myself about the Cleveland Browns as they prepare to face the Cardinals on Sunday in Glendale, Arizona:

QUESTION: Let’s suppose the Browns beat Arizona, OK?

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Talking to myself about the Cleveland Browns as they prepare to face the Cardinals on Sunday in Glendale, Arizona:

QUESTION: Let’s suppose the Browns beat Arizona, OK?

ANSWER: That’s a reasonable expectation.

Q: If the Browns win, that makes them 7-7 for the season, right?

A: That’s the math.

Q: Now suppose someone had told you the Browns would be 7-7 after they started 2-6 and lost in Denver to Brandon Allen, what would you think?

A: At that point, I thought there was a chance the team would collapse and Freddie Kitchens would be fired, even with a favorable second-half schedule looming.....

Q: Exactly the point being lost in this season.

A: I agree. If the Browns beat Arizona, that makes them 5-1 in the second half. It means they will be 3-1 since Myles Garrett was suspended. It gives them a chance for their first winning season since 2007.

Q: In that respect, isn’t it a little like last year?

A: In terms of record, the Browns were 2-5-1 when head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired in 2018. When Gregg Williams was named interim head coach and Kitchens began calling the plays, there were zero expectations of success. Rather, it looked like another chorus of Browns blues was about to begin......

A: The Cardinals rank 24th against the run (120 yards allowed per game). You have Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Guard Joel Bitonio talked about the offensive line taking pride in Chubb already gaining 1,000 yards. They want him to win the rushing title. I like that attitude. Chubb chewing up yards is a winning formula.......

A: I don’t. I expect them to play a solid game, winning 27-17. My record picking the Browns is 8-4 this season. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of Terry's thinking.

I think we can agree with that, but too bad about the DEN and PIT II games or we'd be in the playoff picture right now.

Wow how things can change, did anyone see this one coming?

10. The best plan for Higgins is to get healthy and start fresh somewhere else next season. I write that as someone who has been a fan of his game ever since he was drafted in 2016. Coach Freddie Kitchens has been vague talking about Higgins for most of the season.

16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He had a better OL last year. A little more time to go through progressions.

True, but once in scramble mode progressions go out the window... attention immediately turns to "safety valve(s)".

In the play I discussed there were two and he looked at neither.

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

True, but once in scramble mode progressions go out the window... attention immediately turns to "safety valve(s)".

In the play I discussed there were two and he looked at neither.

And Hunt should actually be viewed as a primary out of the backfield that Baker looks away and long to distract from the real primary until he's wide open. Just plain foolish to me given Hunt's value as an open filed runner/receiver.  Freddie needs to pay more attention to that as does Baker.

EDIT: This is how Rodriguez was using McCaffrey until he was canned. Same kind of designed look away screens and passes out of the backfield and let the man do his open field runs with the ball. Even some excellent PA to McCaffrey and then he sneaks through the line for open passes. Completely designed that way.

• Upvote 1

Preseason this was a pretty solid W but now the BROWNS must play to win.

10. So why do I have an uneasy feeling about this game? The Browns run-defense has been lousy all year. They rank 26th against the run. Murray is the new breed of QB who can run the ball effectively. His 448 yards rushing is second among QBs, behind only Baltimore Ravens MVP candidate Lamar Jackson. If the Browns don’t keep Murray under control running the ball, there could be trouble.

~~~~~~~~

Myles "dumb-dumb" Garrett still hurting his teammates.

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

EDIT: This is how Rodriguez was using McCaffrey until he was canned.

Would that be Ron Rodriguez??? ;)

Hunt also caught more than a few passes after PA fakes to him in KC.

From Terry Pluto, cleveland.com:. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/embarrassing-disturbing-ugly-pick-a-word-for-inexcusable-cleveland-browns-loss.html

Embarrassing? Disturbing? Ugly? Pick a word for inexcusable Cleveland Browns loss

Updated Dec 16, 6:06 AM;Posted Dec 15, 7:17 PM

This is a good read, here's just part of it.....

SOMETHING IS WRONG

I don’t feel like talking Xs and Os.

There is something very wrong with this team, something deeper than strategy.

Coming into the game, Arizona had lost six in a row. The Cardinals were 3-9-1 overall and were 1-5 on their home field.

That’s the team who embarrassed the Browns.

I’m tired of the Browns being out-coached and out-hustled.

I’m sick of them losing to first-year QBs, be it Brandon Allen in Denver, Delvin “Duck” Hodges in Pittsburgh or now Kyler Murray in Arizona.

But it’s more than that.

There is something lacking in terms of character and concentration.

Not with every player.

Nick Chubb is giving younger Browns fans glimpses of what it was like to watch Jim Brown in the 1950s and 1960s.

Chubb rushed for 127 yards. He was brilliant as always.

But the Browns remain a collection of individuals unable to come together when facing adversity on the field.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

From Terry Pluto, cleveland.com:. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/embarrassing-disturbing-ugly-pick-a-word-for-inexcusable-cleveland-browns-loss.html

The Browns were favored to win this game. A victory would have made them 7-7 and kept hopes of a winning season and a flicker of playoff possibilities alive for another week.

Instead, they are 6-8.

No winning season. No playoffs.

Et tu, Terry??? There is a "flicker"... or at least half a flicker.

Why are writers... even our own... writing us off before it's a fact?

22 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Et tu, Terry??? There is a "flicker"... or at least half a flicker.

Why are writers... even our own... writing us off before it's a fact?

I think, no I'm sure Terry is as pissed as all of us how the BROWNS basically threw away a whole season which had great expectations.

(And Terry is a religious guy he would probably not have used pissed.  :lol: )