THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No,  I didn't really even know who he was.

Ah. There is only one reason I knew. That girlfriend of mine who moved to Ohio had a thing for all things Japanese, so when that song came out she learned to sing it in that language. It was her favorite song during the one year we went "steady" together before she left. So fond memories is the only reason I know who he was and knew when and how he died. I bet if I sent her an email today she could even give me the date of death without looking it up. My wife and I do still have a friendship with her. We've taken a couple of trips up there and stayed with she and her husband while visiting the Kimble art museum. Wonderful place with excellent visiting exhibits and a decent collection of their own.

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Trivia for you Gip. Were you aware he was killed in the deadliest single aircraft disaster in history? 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123

I remembered that such a huge tragedy and in later "whodunit" avaition shows.  It also hastened the eventual replacing the old jumbo jets in particular the old favorite of mine the 747's.  I loved those in particularly for the long range trips like Chicago to Honolulu non-stop.

In Japan they flew them like buses or trains. Too bad.....

5 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Sounds like he thinks Freddy is a goner too. 
 When you have a good thing going, you keep it. Not us though. Back to the dumpster fire

Hard to argue with. Still I don't think we were at the point where we needed a good guy players coach. Sometimes those guys are great after a few years of Forest Gregg but that wasn't the case. Gregg Williams might have been tough but not to the point of being a burden. I didn't love his defense but I don't love the defense now and it should be a lot better now if for no other reason than the upgrades on the roster. I don't know if a Lincoln Riley could whip these recruits in the shape or not.

WSS

Last year 7 games in, it was all about lack of discipline and accountability. The players were bitching about the lack of both.  This year it’s the same thing.  Lack of discipline and accountability.  And we all have seen firsthand how the right HC can have an immediate impact on both. Fuck Fat Freddy and his cat

15 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Last year 7 games in, it was all about lack of discipline and accountability. The players were bitching about the lack of both.  This year it’s the same thing.  Lack of discipline and accountability.  And we all have seen firsthand how the right HC can have an immediate impact on both. Fuck Fat Freddy and his cat

Zap

WSS

Terry says what we all think.

It’s sad.

Mayfield seems lost. The Browns seem deflated.

And most of all, the fans probably feel more than a little cheated by how the team has played this season.....EOM

On 11/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, gumby73 said:

Pluto totally nails it..after diagnosing the main problem is this team able to fix the problems? 

I'm not downing Kitchens but the problem I had with Kitchens being named HC is that Greg Williams earned that right. We saw good improvement with the team last year after Williams became interim HC and the credit for the improvement should have went to the HC Williams. Since we did see the improvement with Williams I wanted to leave the same coaching staff in place for this season. Why try to fix something that wasn't broken as well as it seemed the right thing to do to reward Williams as the HC for the improvement. Williams may not have been the long term answer but one thing he brought to the table was discipline. 

That is water under the bridge now and I am still hoping that Kitchens is just going through a learning curve as a rookie HC. Dorsey obviously believed in him and I respect Dorsey's judgement.

33 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Pluto totally nails it..after diagnosing the main problem is this team able to fix the problems? 

we have 2 teams in front of us that we have to bloody some noses up front & run the damm football..Bills rank 3rd overall & 3rd against the pass. 19th against the run.. Mikah Fitzpatrick/Haden has made running the ball the trick, running at Pittsburgh too.Colts showed some of that & they can't cover a TE.. And god please, get Baker out of the huddle into a up tempo offense in both...I'd like to see our defense play from ahead for once..than twice 

22 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

we have 2 teams in front of us that we have to bloody some noses up front & run the damm football..Bills rank 3rd overall & 3rd against the pass. 19th against the run.. Mikah Fitzpatrick/Haden has made running the ball the trick, running at Pittsburgh too... And god please, get Baker out of the huddle into a up tempo offense in both...I'd like to see our defense play from ahead for once..than twice 

I don't understand on short yard situations why we seem to run a lot of pulling guards stuff with Chubb running laterally instead of having a hard runner like Chubb running hard going north and south? Many times I see defenses slice in and tackle Chubb behind the line of scrimmage. And then there are critical running plays that our best runner is for unknown reasons not being used? Rule of thumb for me in critical plays always go to your best players.

I agree with you we should play against the other teams weakness and we should be running the ball against the Bills. We have a great runner with Chubb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I agree with you we should play against the other teams weakness and we should be running the ball against the Bills. We have a great runner with Chubb.

And an even greater inside the 5 runner in Hunt. Chubb's power and even greater ability to make people miss in a phonebooth.

Another step in getting this season turned around?

17. A victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night could be a season-changer for the Browns. It’s a home game. It would be two wins in four days for a team that was on a four-game losing streak. A loss...well...when a team is 3-6 like the Browns, every loss is a major setback.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Good article. One of the many shames in the Garrett incident is it created a big ol’ forcefield around the hearts and minds of Browns fans everywhere deflecting all the positives that happened during the game.

Schobert had arguably his best game as a pro. IMO Mayfield did too. I didn’t even realize the Oline played penalty free ball until l read this. 

Our defense’s dominance. Kitchens seemingly making positive steps as the HC. Our continued good special teams play (except for Seibert this game),

Hell, the incident deflected other bad things that happened as well. I guess Seibert gets a pass this week for missing 2 FGs. And poor Burnett who played his heart out for us until his achilles ruptured. 

Imagine how different and upbeat this Board would be had the game only lasted 59:52? Just a shame.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Good article. One of the many shames in the Garrett incident is it created a big ol’ forcefield around the hearts and minds of Browns fans everywhere deflecting all the positives that happened during the game.

Not for me. I saw us play one of our two best efforts of the year. Shit happens and like injuries, you move on to the next game. Now we have a void to fill and we have had since Th night to do so.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Not for me. I saw us play one of our two best efforts of the year. Shit happens and like injuries, you move on to the next game. Now we have a void to fill and we have had since Th night to do so.

I won't lie, at first I definitely felt that way. After some time to digest, I can reflect on the many positives that came from the game. I think it especially hurt because it wasn't just any team we beat. The victory was a chance to exorcise demons that should have long since been evicted. 

It hurts, it sucks, and it's yet another black eye on our franchise. If it DOESN'T happen, we go into the Fins game almost full strength. A Fins team that just gave up about 7 sacks. After that, we play the same Steelers team that we completely shut down. It feels different now, and whether or not it truly IS different, I guess we'll find out. We lost our best player, minus the QB. That's a bitter pill. 

I was hopeful Vernon could return, but it's not lookin good. Hope I'm wrong. I will tell everyone NOT to underestimate Ryan Fitzpatrick, as he's beaten plenty of people in his career. Is he streaky? Hell yes, but if you give him time, he can beat you. 

Terry Pluto has so much class and style in his writings, good read.  (too bad what's his name spoiled the party)

16. Kitchens mentioned the Browns are 2-0 in the AFC North and this is the first time the Browns have defeated Pittsburgh and the Baltimore Ravens in the same season. That’s why this 4-6 season has been frustrating. A few times, the Browns have shown they can be a good team.

........also I'm glad that Westside Steve put this thread together.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Terry Pluto has so much class and style in his writings, good read.  (too bad what's his name spoiled the party)

16. Kitchens mentioned the Browns are 2-0 in the AFC North and this is the first time the Browns have defeated Pittsburgh and the Baltimore Ravens in the same season. That’s why this 4-6 season has been frustrating. A few times, the Browns have shown they can be a good team.

And that's just it, man. And the inconsistency has come from such a variety of things that it's infuriating. Turnovers one game, penalties another, red zone woes, defense giving up the untimely drive when we have a lead, or whatever else. Now you add in the fact that we lost our best non-qb player for the year and you're thinking, "Geez, NOW what?!" 

It's frustrating because our team can't seem to get out of its own way! How impressive does that Ravens victory look now? Lamar Jackson looks unstoppable, like him or not. We put together two wins in a row, our team was starting to come together, and with 8 seconds left it falls apart. Man, it just feels awful, ya know? This team had so much promise. Hopefully we can get one more win against the Fins, but I gotta tell ya, if I was a betting man, I'd be taking the Fins to at least cover, if not win. I just don't know if we're going to be able to win shorthanded after the emotional toll taken on everyone. We're going to find out a lot about Freddie Kitchens Sunday, and his offense is likely going to need more than 21 to give the home crowd another W. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, mjp28 said:

Another step in getting this season turned around?

17. A victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night could be a season-changer for the Browns. It’s a home game. It would be two wins in four days for a team that was on a four-game losing streak. A loss...well...when a team is 3-6 like the Browns, every loss is a major setback.

And remember back before the game where this team was.

From early Monday morning, this team growing up and together.  (I just saw this Steve.)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/cleveland-browns-postgame-scribbles-some-signs-of-growing-up-and-growing-together.html

• Upvote 1

Good piece but two things stood out to me (besides Chubb):

6. Because of suspensions (Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi) and an injury (Olivier Vernon), Sheldon Richardson was the only usual starting defensive lineman on the field. He delivered two sacks, a tackle for a loss and batted down a pass. Linebacker Joe Schobert had two interceptions... again! That’s four in two games. Schobert is the only Browns defensive player to be on the field for 100 percent of the snaps this season.

17. Pittsburgh did win and raised its record to 6-5. The Browns are 5-6. Next Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh has a major impact on which of the two teams stays in the wild card playoff race.