THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

26 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

He leaves Ratley out of the discussion completely when he was actually doing very well before an injury sidelined him. Hope he recovers enough to get back in the conversation. Otherwise he makes a good case for the PUP list to start the season. That does not count against the 53, just the cap.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:56 AM, Westside Steve said:

Higgins.......

........Higgins was the only starting receiver on the field for the Browns. He is third, behind Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. This was a day when both teams elected not to play many of their starters. Mayfield also did not play.

But Higgins was the fourth receiver picked in 2016 ... by the Browns! That was the year the Browns took Corey Coleman 15th overall. Then they picked Ricardo Louis in the fourth round (No. 114), then Jordan Payton (154) in the fifth.

Finally, Higgins was taken 172nd, in the fifth round.

There were 18 receivers drafted in front of him despite Higgins setting a Colorado State school record for career receptions (239). He led the nation in 2014 in yards (1,750) and touchdowns (17).

As for Coleman, Payton and Louis – none are likely to be on an NFL opening day roster this season. Coleman had a chance to make the Giants, but suffered an ACL injury in training camp. He had previously been cut by Buffalo and New England.

Higgins (6-1, 198) has worked his way up to playing with Pro Bowlers Beckham and Landry when the Browns use their three-receiver sets on offense.......

• 2 weeks later...

Leadership, good read and a few highlights:

But as GM John Dorsey told me: “The great teams have always been self-regulated by the veterans in the locker room.”

That’s where it will be fascinating to watch the Browns.

This is not a team with a lot of players who have experienced much winning at the NFL level.

Consider some of the players mentioned by Dorsey who are emerging as team leaders:

1. QB Baker Mayfield.

2. Receivers Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr.

3. Guard Joel Bitonio.

4. Defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon.

5. Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.

6. Safety Damarious Randall.

This was not a complete list, just guys Dorsey quickly mentioned. The Browns named three captains, one for each unit: Christian Kirksey (defense), Charley Hughlett (special teams) and Mayfield (offense).

Add it all up and that’s 10 total players.

They have played in a total of eight post-season games: Randall (5), Beckham (1), Vernon (1) and Landry (1).

The last Pluto article basically mirrored my exact thought process for this game, lol. I went back and forth before hesitantly picking Browns to win 27 to 17. There's such a giant part of my consciousness that says "The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game." 

LOL, but whatever. That's just the brain trying to find ways to lose because that's what we've historically done. Time for a damn change. 

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

"The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game." 

Nailed 2 outta 3...

Next time listen to your "giant part"...

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Nailed 2 outta 3...

Next time listen to your "giant part"...

I heard that. Listening to my little part has gotten me into a ton of trouble! 😂

I heard some media chatter this week saying Browns had to win and win in a convincing fashion. That's complete mullarky to me, as winning in the NFL is so much tougher than the media pundits are realizing. We're on the road, we're a little shell-shocked from last week's debacle, and we're facing a team fighting for their lives. The season is basically over for the losing team, so we better show up with the right mindset. You can bet your ass Gregg Williams will try to get under our skins and we're really going to have to watch it this week because the refs will be scrutinizing us. 

Weird things tend to happen on the road. Balls don't bounce your way, you fumble a punt return, calls go against you, you drop an important 3rd down pass...whatever. There's a reason home teams have somewhat of an advantage, and it's more than just noise. 

We obviously screwed the pooch at OUR home opener, but hey, we're the Browns and we almost NEVER win the first game. We can, however, win this game, and we really SHOULD. Like I said in another post, Baker needs to settle down a bit and take what's given. After the 75 yard screen pass, he started to press. Before that, he looked pretty damn good. It's going to be a fun game, but don't let the injuries fool you. It's likely going to be a war, at least through 3 quarters and then I believe we'll pull ahead stemming from a pick-6 from Denzel Ward (I'm calling it! Lol). 

Ugh...I wish we played now, dammit! 

Any team can beat any team on any given Sunday or Thursday or Monday.

Generally the favorites win but they all are all professional football players and the margins are slim....well except NE this week who won 43-0.   :lol:

25 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.

Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.

I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.

WSS

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.

I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.

WSS

You can't step up if you aren't activated. Not a very good sign unless he has some nagging injury that is unreported. Dorsey may just be having a hard time realizing he wasted a pick there like many of us thought when he made it that high. He wasn't even on my drafting radar.

EDIT: Speaking of trades does anyone know why Garrett played so much RDE last night?

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You can't step up if you aren't activated. Not a very good sign unless he has some nagging injury that is unreported. Dorsey may just be having a hard time realizing he wasted a pick there like many of us thought when he made it that high. He wasn't even on my drafting radar.

EDIT: Speaking of trades does anyone know why Garrett played so much RDE last night?

And oh line in the second round should be a should be a stellar pick.   And it seems like if he was hurt we'd have heard something about it?

Granted it takes a while sometimes for offensive lineman to develop.

WSS

Notable notes from Terry....

2. After the game, Beckham said he knew he’d score a TD but he needed his “hamstrings to hold up.” Then his calves cramped up in the end zone. He went to the locker room where he was put on an I.V. to add fluids to his system.

11. With Dontrell Hilliard (concussion) out, veteran receiver Jarvis Landry volunteered to return punts. He drew praise from teammates and coaches. Some veterans don’t want that job because it has a high rate of injury. Landry looked good, running back four punts for a 12-yard average.

12. Landry said: “I just want to help the team. I know special teams is a big part of the game.”

13. Landry was right, especially when it came kicker Austin Seibert. The rookie drilled field goals of 48, 43 and 23 yards. He was perfect on both extra points. On a night when the Browns had trouble getting the ball in the end zone. those field goals gave them some breathing room....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which reminds us again that there is no I in team.  ;)

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Great news!

6. Something to watch: An NFL source told me that the officiating crews the Browns had in the first two games rank No. 1 and 2 in calling penalties after two games this season. The crew in town for the Rams game ranks third from the bottom. That could make for a better game to watch.

And a great point...

14. Most college QBs play exclusively in the shotgun. Mayfield has learned to operate under center. But this season, Mayfield has thrown only eight passes (completing three) when not in the shotgun. Goff is 16-for-25 passing when not in the shotgun.

Hope Freddie reads Terry... and/or me...

In reading Terry's notable notes besides the tempo of the offense and Mayfield I also found this"unusual" was it the BROWNS team or the zebras?

6. Something to watch: An NFL source told me that the officiating crews the Browns had in the first two games rank No. 1 and 2 in calling penalties after two games this season. The crew in town for the Rams game ranks third from the bottom. That could make for a better game to watch.

And maybe this was a good roster move afterall.

10. Rookie punter Jamie “Scottish Hammer” Gillan is off to a remarkable start. He was the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his work vs. the Jets. In two games, he has had only one punt returned (for 4 yards). Eight of his 20 punts have landed inside the 20-yard line. Priefer pushed hard for the Browns to keep Gillan over Britton Colquitt. It was not a knock on the veteran punter. Priefer believes Gillan can be exceptional.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...