THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My "big laugh of the day....maybe month"

Sportswriters, broadcasters, play-by-play guys, athletes in football even baseball and hoops all know that little "CLEVELAND ROCKS!"

6HB6VXH3LFCE5JX3SMMJOP3W4M.JPG

Terry says.....

SPEAKING FROM THE HEART

No NFL fan base has suffered more heartbreak and trauma than the Browns. I’m not talking about The Drive, The Fumble and Red-Right-88.

Those were excruciating losses, but those teams were excellent and fun to watch.

No fan base had its team move and then come back with an expansion situation that oozed unprecedented incompetence. From 1999-2017, no NFL team lost more games: Two winning seasons and one playoff appearance (a loss)......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And remember folks Cleveland is right smack in the middle of the infamous"rust belt" our fans have endured and come back from a lot.

GO BROWNS!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Saints fans use to wear bags on their heads at games.

Back in the day, my friends and I would decide to go to a game, drive up to Sullivan Stadium in Foxborough on a sunday, buy tickets and sit just about anywhere we wanted.

Let the Patriots suck like we did for just 10 years....and there'll be more people in the Bass ProShop than in the stadium.  Especially towards the end of the season for those cold, rainy/snowy days when you KNOW your team is gonna lose again.

16 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

If 9-7 gets us into the play offs I would be fine with that although I think they will do better than 9-7.

If Mayfield started all 16 games in 2018 they coulda' gone 9-7 last year.......10+ is the target this year (with of course a touch of luck).  :)

• Upvote 2

Wasn’t Jamie Collins part of the problem?

A: Joe Schobert (24) led the NFL in missed tackles. Other missed tackle totals: Collins (20), Briean Boddy-Calhoun (12), Damarious Randall (12), Jabrill Peppers (11), Denzel Ward (10), T.J. Carrie (10), Derrick Kindred (10) and Trevon Coley (10). Collins, Calhoun, Peppers, Boddy-Calhoun and Kindred are no longer with the team.

Q: The defense is a worry?

A: Dorsey did a good job adding Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson to start on the defensive line. Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi are excellent. Morgan Burnett can help against the run at strong safety. I’m hoping one of the rookie linebackers (Sione Takitaki or Mack Wilson) emerges as a run-stopper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obivously the primary concern and focus from training camp day 1 on to game 1 and beyond.

After thinking about it for awhile one big KEY component the offense might greatly help the defense by establishing more ball control and time of possession getting leads and greatly cutdown on defense plays and tackles......isn't that what winning teams do? Eh?

(new tablet new spell checker which I have to keep checking....sheesh)

24 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

After thinking about it for awhile one big KEY component the offense might greatly help the defense by establishing more ball control and time of possession getting leads and greatly cutdown on defense plays and tackles......isn't that what winning teams go? Eh?

And the likelihood the defense will actually get that offense the ball much more often per game.👍

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

After thinking about it for awhile one big KEY component the offense might greatly help the defense by establishing more ball control and time of possession getting leads and greatly cutdown on defense plays and tackles......isn't that what winning teams go? Eh?

This time of year, all that the media can report on is possible* team position flaws..We fit just as the other 31 teams,for now.(nobody really knows yet, but the media makes news).No team has to be perfect across the board to win in this league. Sure Belicheck has Brady..but it's his other team band-aides that stop the bleeding better to wins..We have that kind of roster now..The coaching of it, puts teams in playoffs, regardless of injuries..The biggest improvement needed is on our defense,like you say..that time of possession is what most will be keeping our eyes on.. Odd to say?..But,, teams should be playing catch-up to our loaded offense on the scoreboard now..it just don't feel like the same old browns anymore..what could go wrong;) 

• Upvote 1

I can't think of any other fans in the NFL who have had to endure what Browns fans have had to endure since they came back in 99. Now it looks like there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel and we have some solid reasons to expect a good season this year. It will be a tough pill to swallow if it doesn't happen, a real kick in the teeth. We need to get off to a good start, if we can get some momentum early it should help, although I'm reminded of the 2014 season where we actually were in first place midway through the season and then fell apart the second half losing 6 of the last 7 games. 

it will be playoffs this year. 10-6 usually gets a team in the NFL playoffs. (Unless you are the Cleveland Browns in 2007). I'm going to go positive though we make the playoffs this year and go at least 10-6. 

I remember something our former Browns coach Mike Pettine said that stuck with me and I agree with. There is not a whole lot of difference between a 6-10 team and a 10-6 team. I believe he is talking about the breaks of the game and the 10-6 teams getting some breaks and winning the close games while the opposite happens for the 6-10 teams? We are past due for getting some breaks to fall our way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I can't think of any other fans in the NFL who have had to endure what Browns fans have had to endure since they came back in 99. Now it looks like there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel and we have some solid reasons to expect a good season this year. It will be a tough pill to swallow if it doesn't happen, a real kick in the teeth. We need to get off to a good start, if we can get some momentum early it should help, although I'm reminded of the 2014 season where we actually were in first place midway through the season and then fell apart the second half losing 6 of the last 7 games. 

it will be playoffs this year. 10-6 usually gets a team in the NFL playoffs. (Unless you are the Cleveland Browns in 2007). I'm going to go positive though we make the playoffs this year and go at least 10-6. 

I remember something our former Browns coach Mike Pettine said that stuck with me and I agree with. There is not a whole lot of difference between a 6-10 team and a 10-6 team. I believe he is talking about the breaks of the game and the 10-6 teams getting some breaks and winning the close games while the opposite happens for the 6-10 teams? We are past due for getting some breaks to fall our way.

The solution:  crush the opponents and don't allow games to be close.  Of course, that is easier said than done.  Even teams in history with stellar records, like  15-1 or 14-2 had a number of close games that they pulled out.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

The solution:  crush the opponents and don't allow games to be close.  Of course, that is easier said than done.  Even teams in history with stellar records, like  15-1 or 14-2 had a number of close games that they pulled out.

One mistake I see NFL teams make is when you get a lead even if a big lead don't try to sit on the lead but keep doing the things that got you the lead. Don't let off the accelerator. That is a trait I see the upper echelon NFL teams do and a mistake others make to their own harm. I know the odds are supposed to favor going into a prevent defense with a big lead but how many times does a team going into a prevent defense end up losing a big lead? 

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

One mistake I see NFL teams make is when you get a lead even if a big lead don't try to sit on the lead but keep doing the things that got you the lead. Don't let off the accelerator. That is a trait I see the upper echelon NFL teams do and a mistake others make to their own harm. I know the odds are supposed to favor going into a prevent defense with a big lead but how many times does a team going into a prevent defense end up losing a big lead? 

Can you say:  Atlanta Falcons, Super Bowl game.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, mjp28 said:

After thinking about it for awhile one big KEY component the offense might greatly help the defense by establishing more ball control and time of possession getting leads and greatly cutdown on defense plays and tackles......isn't that what winning teams do? Eh?

(new tablet new spell checker which I have to keep checking....sheesh)

This exactly.

Remember all those teams from the 2000's that had "good defenses"? We would hang around all game then just completely shit the bed in the 4th quarter? Those teams couldn't muster more than 4-5 wins because the offense couldn't stay on the field. That's exactly what brought them down. Any defense good or bad needs rest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

For a long time at the beginning of each season I  hoped the football talking heads were wrong about the Browns and they would surprise everyone and outperform expectations but it never happened.  This season I am hoping the talking heads are right about the Browns. There is real reason to believe the Browns should do well this year and that is great news. It has been a long drought. 

• Upvote 1

.......If you stay healthy, you’ll do that. As you know, a healthy Odell Beckham Jr. is a sizzling, All-Pro caliber receiver. You were that in New York with an aging Eli Manning.

You’ll be even better with a rising Baker Mayfield.

The New York media will try to entice you to talk about the Giants. You should know how New York Tabloid journalism works. And you should know how writers are often judged by how many internet hits they generate.

Getting into a verbal duel with the Giants fuels the media to keep it going.

You are one of those thoughtful, sensitive people who want to explain themselves........

.......Cleveland should be a reason for hope for you. The team is talented. Jarvis Landry and Adam Henry -- two trusted friends -- are here. The fans have no negative history with you.

This can where you enter the best stage and most satisfying stage of your career........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OBJ has put on a show already, this might be an amazing season in Cleveland, Ohio. Whoa! :o

30 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Damn thing keeps requiring me to disable my ad blocker. Don't want to do that for fear that bleeds over to everything.

Look at the bottom white part of the pop up, there is an option to continue without disabling your AB.  

6 hours ago, D Bone said:

Look at the bottom white part of the pop up, there is an option to continue without disabling your AB.  

Sometimes the "continue without disabling" is there and sometimes not. My latest attempt it was back so I got to the articles. Persistence pays off. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two things hit me right away in Terry's article.......

,........Fans know about Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham and Rashard Higgins (one of my favorites) as the top three receivers. In training camp, Callaway hasn’t distinguished himself from Derrick Willies, Jaelen Strong and several others battling for the last few spots at receiver.........

And....

Every year, a few guys flunk it. That’s not a warning sign, it’s a siren.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO what is Callaway worth now? A 7th round pick in the 2022 draft?  :lol:

And from the mjp "life is really funny..... sometimes" department:

According to Overthecap.com, Callaway received a $717,856 signing bonus. He had a first-year salary of $480,000. So let’s round it off to $1.1 million for a guy who was booted off the team at Florida.

Gordon was another guy who was suspended for his final college season because of drug issues. The Tom Heckert/Mike Holmgren front office made him a second-round pick in the 2012 Supplemental Draft. Gordon was given a 4-year, $5.3 million deal, including a $2.3 million signing bonus. Gordon is suspended right now and appealing for reinstatement.

WHAT’S NEXT?

Know what Callaway said in the press release when he was caught with a diluted test in 2018? “I take full responsibility for everything.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to think if we poor working stiffs want to become an instant millionaire we have to buy a ticket and hope for a freakin' miracle.  :huh: