THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

22 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Of Terry's usual many good points, this one stood out to me.

The entire linebacker group of Joe Schobert, Christian Kirksey and Collins made impact play after impact play.

I've been raggin' on Collins and especially Kirk to date this season. They turned their performance around on Sunday.

And Joe made me drop my coverage concerns.

Things are looking up for the back end of our front seven.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Of Terry's usual many good points, this one stood out to me.

I've been raggin' on Collins and especially Kirk to date this season. They turned their performance around on Sunday.

And Joe made me drop my coverage concerns.

Things are looking up for the back end of our front seven.

And the back 4 haven't looked so bad either.

First off I personally like this one whether it's baseball or football:

3. I still love sports on the radio when it's well-done. So they were a pleasure. Then I watched the last three quarters on TV, and that just made me miss Donovan and Dieken even more.

Every week I generally catch either my YSU PENS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES or like this week my blacked out BROWNS. When I was in the hospital a few weeks back I had my trusty AM/FM radio and listened to the Indians, several nurses would stop by to catch a few innings.

We Cleveland fans have had some good ones. Amyone here listen to games?

Back to Pluto's X & O's I for one realize the #4 pick Ward might have been the right one. And Jamie Collins might make a big difference as this season moves along.

6. It's possible Chubb will turn into a very good pass rusher. But Ward has been a defense changer. He has three interceptions. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has raved about Ward's ability to knock the ball out of the hands of a receiver. Williams is a an old-school coach, not one to hype rookies. But he's absolutely enthralled with Ward.

7. It was Williams who urged the Browns to pick Ward. And Dorsey was already leaning in that direction. Ward even made the special teams look good -- no easy task. That happened when he blocked a Baltimore field goal attempt at the end of the first half. If Ward hadn't done that, the Browns probably would have lost in regulation.

8. Jamie Collins finally played the type of game that made him a Pro Bowl linebacker in New England a few years ago. Collins had a dozen tackles. He seemed to be in the right spot. Profootballfocus (PFF) credited him with seven "stops" of the run. This shows how Collins can play when he truly engaged.

Kudos to Pluto, again.

24 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

And the latest Pluto. I love the guy he deserves his own thread I guess.

https://articles.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/10/cleveland_browns_postgame_scri_28.amp

WSS

Pluto:

23. Rivers meant a high pass over the head of a receiver with a lot of velocity can easily go off the hands of the intended target. I do think Mayfield makes some of these "high, hard ones" in terms of throws. He is generally an accurate passer, but his touch needs to improve.

Me:

l watched a few of Baker’s college games and don’t recall this being an issue, but l do concur he’s firing a lot of fastballs as a pro. I’m fairly certain he has a good change up, but l think something about the speed of the pro game is causing him to not use it. 

52 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Pluto:

23. Rivers meant a high pass over the head of a receiver with a lot of velocity can easily go off the hands of the intended target. I do think Mayfield makes some of these "high, hard ones" in terms of throws. He is generally an accurate passer, but his touch needs to improve.

Me:

l watched a few of Baker’s college games and don’t recall this being an issue, but l do concur he’s firing a lot of fastballs as a pro. I’m fairly certain he has a good change up, but l think something about the speed of the pro game is causing him to not use it. 

Or maybe, just maybe, he has an idiot for a QB "whisperer".🤔

This is why we drafted Baker Mayfield.  He had the right mental fortitude to weather through the tough "Cleveland Atmosphere".  Everyone knew this year wasn't going to be all roses, after all, we didn't win a single game last year, LOL.  Baker and company are going to be severely tested right now, and that might be the understatement of the decade.  We're down multiple key players, we're on the road, and we're facing a passing offense that puts up scary numbers.  Oh, and we're down our second starting CB.  Yo.

You know what?  We don't have to win for this game to be a victory in my eyes.  As long as we play well, score points, and make strides...I'm happy with that.  We need Baker to play like we know he can, our receivers to catch the ball, and Myles Garrett to show out.  All that happens and we still lose...I'll be fine with it.  It's about making improvements.  We had our chances to win several of our early games, and we didn't execute.  Now that we're severely injured, those opportunities are likely to be more rare.  

I'm interested to see the mettle of our team after that butt-whooping.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is why we drafted Baker Mayfield.  He had the right mental fortitude to weather through the tough "Cleveland Atmosphere".  Everyone knew this year wasn't going to be all roses, after all, we didn't win a single game last year, LOL.  Baker and company are going to be severely tested right now, and that might be the understatement of the decade.  We're down multiple key players, we're on the road, and we're facing a passing offense that puts up scary numbers.  Oh, and we're down our second starting CB.  Yo.

You know what?  We don't have to win for this game to be a victory in my eyes.  As long as we play well, score points, and make strides...I'm happy with that.  We need Baker to play like we know he can, our receivers to catch the ball, and Myles Garrett to show out.  All that happens and we still lose...I'll be fine with it.  It's about making improvements.  We had our chances to win several of our early games, and we didn't execute.  Now that we're severely injured, those opportunities are likely to be more rare.  

I'm interested to see the mettle of our team after that butt-whooping.  

I agree, this is a good test for our team.

I am surprised TB is only favored by 3.5, they are loaded with weapons. Not much of a running game, but no-names always run on us. Greg Williams is going to have to call a bend but don't break game like he did against Baltimore and we need at least three turnovers to get to them. Winston has great arm-talented and amazing receivers ... but he isn't the brightest tool in the shed, so we've got to give him some looks he hasn't seen and Garrett and Ogbah need to get after him, and hopefully an inside push from Obgonjobi too. We can't let him sit back there all day and pick apart coverage:

Ward ----> Trying to neutralize the 6'5 Evans

Carrie ---> Trying to stay with Desean Jackson averaging 24 yards per catch

Calhoun ---> You get Chris Goodwin, no slouch

TWO very good TEs for our safeties and linebackers to cover: O.J Howard and Cameron Bratte

Just matchup nightmares. We are going to need 30 from the Baker Boys, this game will tell us a LOT of what we are made of.

Zombo

On 10/15/2018 at 8:22 AM, Westside Steve said:

And the latest Pluto. I love the guy he deserves his own thread I guess.

https://articles.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/10/cleveland_browns_postgame_scri_28.amp

WSS

Pluto's kudos?

On 10/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, Tour2ma said:

Love Pluto's bullet-point style.

Takes a thought or observation or quote, and fleshes it out just enough to provoke thought.

Some people just have a natural gift for written communication to get a good response from the readers. And he just has the right persoality and demeanor for the job which all the good ones make look so effortless.

Glad our WSS puts them up here.

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Some people just have a natural gift for written communication to get a good response from the readers. And he just has the right persoality and demeanor for the job which all the good ones make look so effortless.

Glad our WSS puts them up here.

He knows his Sports he doesn't sugarcoat or get angry and tells it like it is without a great deal of bombast.

WSS

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Calhoun ---> You get Chris Goodwin, no slouch

Seeing quite a few of his games at Penn State, I came away impressed with this kid and was hoping the Browns would have drafted him. He seemed to make a lot of big plays for their QB downfield at Complicit Valley. 

21 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Reads like an intelligent version of the comments in our gameday threads...