Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LondonBrown

Raiders and Chargers moves

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's surprising to read from you Nero, most soccer purists (and seeing that you come from a country where soccer is king, I'd consider you a purist) seem to despise indoor soccer and consider it as bastard stepchild of "real" soccer. 

Well, allow me to doubt it. I mean, Spain has even more world and european championships in indoor soccer than in field soccer. We are more of a "powerhouse" than in field soccer (portuguese are in the top, too). 

Is field soccer way more followed? Yes. But that doesn't make me think purists despise indoor soccer. It has another tempo and requires more technique than field soccer due to shorter distances, so it could be closer to basketball and I see why it can have more success in America.

Anyway, I watch even less soccer lately as I prefer to dedicate my leisure time to NFL, and I don't watch indoor soccer, though it's been fun the times I've watched it. 

Some perks that make indoor soccer more suitable for friendly matches is that we don't suffer the weather (and in Pamplona it rains a lot and it's cold in winter) and that you only need 10 players, opposite to the 22 friends (or 14 friends in F7) that you need for other soccer matches. 

I'm not good at soccer and I don't have a very good technique, so field soccer would be better for me, but once you get used to indoor soccer and its tactics and movements it is very enjoyable. I'm going to play in a league this season with my friends and I'm enthusiastic.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoorta said:

RE: the Raiders move: It wasn't just Las Vegas Gipper. It was the whole freaking state of Nevada kicking in cash on top of it. Shades of the Ratbirds and Maryland. You suggested other possible cities, and unless they get state funding (and no interference from owners who consider those cities their territory) it's not happening anytime soon. The NFL will make sure any new stadium isn't a budget special- billion dollar minimum to join the club. 

You're forgetting as Mark pointed out- San Diego wasn't giving in to Spanos extortion, and St. Louis (a far bigger market than anything you mentioned) couldn't pony up a sweet enough deal to make Kroenke want to stay. 

Well, if you think that the NFL and the owners of these teams will discontinue attempting to pit one city against another, and will discontinue using blackmail threats on current cities, I believe you are wrong.  And if you think that there won't be cities out there that may at least make some kind of effort to raise the funds to build stadiums to lure an existing NFL team to move there, I think that is wrong as well.  

We were all talking about how Jacksonville could be a candidate to move, before they began to get good again.  And Buffalo seemed to be on the chopping block as well.   And both of those and maybe more could be the subject of nefarious moves by owners to increase their bottom lines by threatening to move....or actually moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nero said:

Indoor soccer is a lot of fun. Both for playing and for watching.

It's the only team sport I've played lately and it is fun when you get used to the nuances of the game. 

And not half as boring as regular soccer.

Cleveland had a couple of popular professional indoor soccer teams.  You can read about them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Force_(1978–88)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Crunch

The "Crunch" had actually brought Cleveland its only professional sports franchise championship between the Browns 1964 title and the Cavs title of 2016.  (But it didn't really count as a major league sports championship, because indoor soccer was/is considered a minor league sport).  But, for some reason the indoor soccer leagues which were quite popular around the country from the 70s to the 90s kind of faded away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's surprising to read from you Nero, most soccer purists (and seeing that you come from a country where soccer is king, I'd consider you a purist) seem to despise indoor soccer and consider it as bastard stepchild of "real" soccer. 

It may in fact be that...a bastard stepchile.....but nevertheless, it was still more exciting and entertaining than "real" soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, if you think that the NFL and the owners of these teams will discontinue attempting to pit one city against another, and will discontinue using blackmail threats on current cities, I believe you are wrong.  And if you think that there won't be cities out there that may at least make some kind of effort to raise the funds to build stadiums to lure an existing NFL team to move there, I think that is wrong as well.  

We were all talking about how Jacksonville could be a candidate to move, before they began to get good again.  And Buffalo seemed to be on the chopping block as well.   And both of those and maybe more could be the subject of nefarious moves by owners to increase their bottom lines by threatening to move....or actually moving.

Well, we will just disagree. MHO is the "WELL" for an owner to play the "build me a new stadium or I'm going to move" card has run dry. Unless the league views cities like Toronto, London, and Mexico City as expansion possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, we will just disagree. MHO is the "WELL" for an owner to play the "build me a new stadium or I'm going to move" card has run dry. Unless the league views cities like Toronto, London, and Mexico City as expansion possibilities.

I think those are really the only options left and I wouldn't trust one of these owners as far as I could throw them to not pick up the team and move it out of the country if it meant more money in their pockets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, we will just disagree. MHO is the "WELL" for an owner to play the "build me a new stadium or I'm going to move" card has run dry. Unless the league views cities like Toronto, London, and Mexico City as expansion possibilities.

Well.....there you go.  If it comes to it they will use Toronto, London, Mexico City.   In fact, they have already used them.  Threats to move the Bills to Toronto had been made. Threats to move the Jags to London have been made.  Not sure about Mex. City.   

So, you have just disagreed with yourself!!  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I think those are really the only options left and I wouldn't trust one of these owners as far as I could throw them to not pick up the team and move it out of the country if it meant more money in their pockets. 

Precisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mark O said:

I think those are really the only options left and I wouldn't trust one of these owners as far as I could throw them to not pick up the team and move it out of the country if it meant more money in their pockets. 

The Jags owner is in the process of (much to the country’s disgust) buying Wembley, our national soccer  teams stadium, from the football association. 

There has to be a real possibility that it’s a pre cursor to moving the Jaguars over here full time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

The Jags owner is in the process of (much to the country’s disgust) buying Wembley, our national soccer  teams stadium, from the football association. 

There has to be a real possibility that it’s a pre cursor to moving the Jaguars over here full time

Possible, but sort of crazy from a scheduling standpoint. Getting eight different teams to London is bad enough, but a London team to the US West coast? I believe that's an eight hour time difference, talk about jet lag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×