THE BROWNS BOARD

Overtime games

The Gipper

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

You absolutely crushed it. Honestly, I don't think overtime was really ever on the minds of the NFL because ties were so rare. It seems that recently there's been a rash of tie games, and maybe that will be enough to finally get things to change. I think the college system is perfect AND extremely fun to watch. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

THAN use the college rule................ not  THEN use the college rule. I don't care what they do, but if the OT can also end in a tie, then itis idiotic.

When did you become the spelling bee Nazi?

And I don't mind a few ties.   The ties that have happened so far will make these division races interesting.

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

You absolutely crushed it. Honestly, I don't think overtime was really ever on the minds of the NFL because ties were so rare. It seems that recently there's been a rash of tie games, and maybe that will be enough to finally get things to change. I think the college system is perfect AND extremely fun to watch. 

WTF are you talking about?  They CHANGED things this year!.   That is why you have had the ties.  And look at my stats above about tie games.  There was no "rash" of ties...until this year.   The lessened the OT period for "safety reasons".    Yea, right. 

And if you think the college system is perfect, then you have turds for brains.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

WTF are you talking about?  They CHANGED things this year!.   That is why you have had the ties.  And look at my stats above about tie games.  There was no "rash" of ties...until this year.   The lessened the OT period for "safety reasons".    Yea, right. 

And if you think the college system is perfect, then you have turds for brains.

7 OT college games are brutal enough, in the NFL the Injury Report would be a mile long.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

7 OT college games are brutal enough, in the NFL the Injury Report would be a mile long.

Yes, let's powder their cuunts and give them all participation awards. Keep changing the rules so that all teams finish the season 0-0 16 and then we can sing campfire songs. Fukcking idiots.  If they get fukcked up they get fukcked up. On one hand, you homos are crying about over protecting the QB, and now you are crying about protecting everyone else.

The tie needs to be eliminated from sports alltogehter. Certainly, a tie has no place in the NFL. 

Poosies.

6 minutes ago, syd said:

when we win the coin toss as like last week (in a defensive game) why in the hell is hue electing to receive ? I mean wtf hue we stop em and then all we need is 3 Shmucking dumbnass

Nice thought. But still, if you elect to defend, you are a bad play away from getting somebody free and getting the game winning TD.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Nice thought. But still, if you elect to defend, you are a bad play away from getting somebody free and getting the game winning TD.

OR.....by taking the ball first, you're saying to your offense, go out there and score a TD and win the game for us.    I'd rather that aggressive approach as opposed to making your defense have to make a stop for the game to continue.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

we held them to 3 field goals the entire game we should had deferred 

16 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Yes, let's powder their cuunts and give them all participation awards. Keep changing the rules so that all teams finish the season 0-0 16 and then we can sing campfire songs. Fukcking idiots.  If they get fukcked up they get fukcked up. On one hand, you homos are crying about over protecting the QB, and now you are crying about protecting everyone else.

The tie needs to be eliminated from sports alltogehter. Certainly, a tie has no place in the NFL. 

Poosies.

Try reading something like (oh there are hundreds of documented articles just ask the NFL).  https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/what-is-CTE

Suicides and miserable deaths from CTE aren't done by your poooosies. (just ask the Seau, Iron Mike Webster, Snake Stabler and many other families who have donated their deceased ones brains to science for study).

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma. In CTE, a protein called Tau forms clumps that slowly spread throughout the brain, killing brain cells. CTE has been seen in people as young as 17, but symptoms do not generally begin appearing until years after the onset of head impacts.

Early symptoms of CTE usually appear in a patient's late 20s or 30s, and affect a patient's mood and behavior. Some common changes seen include impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and paranoia.

As the disease progresses, some patients may experience problems with thinking and memory, including memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, and eventually progressive dementia. Cognitive symptoms tend to appear later than mood and behavioral symptoms, and generally first appear in a patient’s 40s or 50s. Patients may exhibit one or both symptom clusters. In some cases, symptoms worsen with time (even if the patient suffers no additional head impacts). In other cases, symptoms may be stable for years before worsening.

Learn more about the symptoms of CTE from Dr. Robert Stern, director of clinical research at the Boston University CTE Center......

........One concussion in the absence of other brain trauma has never been seen to cause CTE.

The best evidence available today suggests that CTE is not caused by any single injury, but rather it is caused by years of regular, repetitive brain trauma. There are also many individuals who suffer years of head impacts, but do not develop CTE. More research will help us understand these factors in the future........

CTE has been found in... Source of head impacts
Boxers Punches to the head
Tackle football players Hits to the helmet
Soccer players Headers and collisions
Ice hockey players Fighting, checking
Military veterans Blast injuries, combat
Victims of domestic abuse Repeated violence

........CONTINUED IN LINK.......

On 10/9/2018 at 5:37 AM, jiggins7919 said:

& I don't. Hate the college system. If it's a tie, it's a tie. NFL playoffs, you play until someone wins.

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

& I don't. Hate the college system. If it's a tie, it's a tie. NFL playoffs, you play until someone wins.

Ahhh, I see. So you'd rather just have an untimed playing period until someone scores? I'd be fine with that. Or what they do in the playoffs, just have another OT period. 

10 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Ahhh, I see. So you'd rather just have an untimed playing period until someone scores? I'd be fine with that. Or what they do in the playoffs, just have another OT period. 

I would prefer that to the garbage that the college game calls OT.  Play football.  Playing football means involving all aspects of the game...not just red zone offense and defense.  That includes kickoffs and punts.

Just now, The Gipper said:

I would prefer that to the garbage that the college game calls OT.  Play football.  Playing football means involving all aspects of the game...not just red zone offense and defense.  That includes kickoffs and punts.

Yeah the college scenario goes something like this:

"OK men after 60 minutes of exciting football we have a tie.....so now we're going to scrimage from the 25 yard line and see who can score but to play fair both teams get to play. Now play nice."  :lol:

I almost prefer a regulation tie except in playoffs which go to "sudden death".  Even sounds cool, sudden death. :o

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah the college scenario goes something like this:

"OK men after 60 minutes of exciting football we have a tie.....so now we're going to scrimage from the 25 yard line and see who can score but to play fair both teams get to play. Now play nice."  :lol:

I almost prefer a regulation tie except in playoffs which go to "sudden death".  Even sounds cool, sudden death. :o

Heard this somewhere else...but what about no punts in OT, have to go for it on 4th down.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Nope, 10 minutes NFL regular season is fine by me. There's ties all the time in soccer- until they get to the World Cup knockout rounds. College OT? LOL, Just have a punt, pass, & kick competition to determine the winner. Just as much fun. 

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Heard this somewhere else...but what about no punts in OT, have to go for it on 4th down.

That could change almost everything. I mean, if you had a killer defense, you might not even want the ball first, right? So if you stopped the other team 4 and out, you'd get the ball in position to immediately win. 

Didn't we defer in overtime one year and it blew up in our faces? Lol

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That could change almost everything. I mean, if you had a killer defense, you might not even want the ball first, right? So if you stopped the other team 4 and out, you'd get the ball in position to immediately win. 

Didn't we defer in overtime one year and it blew up in our faces? Lol

Yes we did.  Against Miami in Miami when our kicker gagged one at the end of regulation that would've won it.   Which is why it makes me laugh there are people on here actually saying we shouldn't have taken the ball first this past weekend.

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

That would speed things up with punts you tend to bury the other teams deep. Plus they are reluctant to try long FGs if they miss the other team has a short field.

Actually I could live with a 10 minute OT or go back to regulation ties except for sudden death in playoff games.

Don't really need more "concussion time" in a needless overtime, Just the way it is in the 21st century........ 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Try reading something like (oh there are hundreds of documented articles just ask the NFL).  https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/what-is-CTE

Suicides and miserable deaths from CTE aren't done by your poooosies. (just ask the Seau, Iron Mike Webster, Snake Stabler and many other families who have donated their deceased ones brains to science for study).

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma. In CTE, a protein called Tau forms clumps that slowly spread throughout the brain, killing brain cells. CTE has been seen in people as young as 17, but symptoms do not generally begin appearing until years after the onset of head impacts.

Early symptoms of CTE usually appear in a patient's late 20s or 30s, and affect a patient's mood and behavior. Some common changes seen include impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and paranoia.

As the disease progresses, some patients may experience problems with thinking and memory, including memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, and eventually progressive dementia. Cognitive symptoms tend to appear later than mood and behavioral symptoms, and generally first appear in a patient’s 40s or 50s. Patients may exhibit one or both symptom clusters. In some cases, symptoms worsen with time (even if the patient suffers no additional head impacts). In other cases, symptoms may be stable for years before worsening.

Learn more about the symptoms of CTE from Dr. Robert Stern, director of clinical research at the Boston University CTE Center......

........One concussion in the absence of other brain trauma has never been seen to cause CTE.

The best evidence available today suggests that CTE is not caused by any single injury, but rather it is caused by years of regular, repetitive brain trauma. There are also many individuals who suffer years of head impacts, but do not develop CTE. More research will help us understand these factors in the future........

........CONTINUED IN LINK.......

Hey Forrest..............you need to move this to a thread where people are discussing whether or not football is dangerous. I never argued that football isn't dangerous. We are discussing OVERTIME, not the hazards of football. It's nice that you went off, spending precious life, accumulating data to prove what we already know; Football is dangerous. Wow, you should be up for a Pulitzer for this great uncovering.

The reality is that overtime play has no significant impact on a players health, longevity or well being. Simpletonly stated a guy with an 8-year career will be exposed to play in 128 football games. This translates into 1,024 hours of football, of which a player can play 1/2 of that. If he plays for a great team he may add say 10 - 16 playoff games to that total. That would be another 30 - 48 hours of additional play.

Considering overtime, it is now only a 10 minute interval, and many players may not even see one OT game in their lifetime, If you took this OT scenario to the absolutely impossible, say that a player played in one overtime game every year of his career, and considering that many overtime games don't even take the full 10 minutes, the overtime play in a players lifetime is insignificant. It is minutes as opposed to all the hours a player plays in regulation.

You are very good at mental masturbation. But your lack of logic and understanding about how to debate and win a point, have you getting yourself  AGAIN, humiliated by me with a good swift kick to your butt.

So, let's recap your loss..................

• Football is vicious and dangerous
  • If safety is our goal, eliminate playoff games as they are played after a grueling season. The secret is, we don't need so many playoff teams. It is all about generating dollars. The best record from the NFC and AFC meet, play and have a champ declared. Like the old days. IF it is player safety you really care about, this is job #1 to reduce.
  • Overtime adds at most, 0.5% playing time to a players career playing time. It is meaningless and has no effect, even if we play to an absolute winner. Since the FG is generally the deciding factor, we are not looking at long OT ventures.

At the end of the day, it is all the rule changes to satisfy fans desire for high scores, explosiveness that has made football such a guaranteed path to a destroyed body and mind. In Jim Brown's day, the DL could grab the shirt at the shoulder pads to control the fataxx OL. A defender could impede a receivers' path all the way up to the point the ball was thrown. Hash marks were spread wide so once you ran out of bounds, your next play was up against the sideline and could only be called up the middle or away from the hash mark. There was no high speed astroturf, lightweight equipment, helmets designed as bombs, oxygen tents, masks, and performance-enhancing drugs to keep players running full blast and bionic speeds and force levels.

In short, I know more about football, and life, than you, your Father, and all of your friends combined. I do admire your ability to accumulate articles. Clearly, you have no fukcking clue of what you are reading, but at east your are passionate and not lazy. However, spare yourself future humiliation. Don't try to engage me. I will destroy you each and every time.

Ghoolie - your Lord and Master.

13 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Husbands .........................................continual lifetime henpecking about the ear/temple region.🤕🐔

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The guy who wrote that rambling nonsense above got kicked off this message board and begged and pleaded to get back on, because apparently he IS that pathetic. 

Carry on. 

I could make it simplier for him to understand afterall the NFL realizes they have a serious and expensive ongoing problem here. Eh?

Regular season OT - unnecessary. 

..........oh edit add and it just isn't all overtime, it's all high speed and low speed collisions a real problem in tackle football. Kickoffs, punts, goal line stands and they are considering it all including new kicking game rules. And these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever in history just check the combine numbers. And this is from pee-wee through high school, college into the pros.

They're doing what they can now with protect the quarterback at all cost (example Stabler), defensless players especially WR, RB. Take anyone out of the game to concussion protocal. Eject anyone for hits immediately as spotted and reviewed if available. New tackling techniques, on and on.

The next target believe it or not is soccer as it is spreading here in the USA, less violent than tackle football but those darn high speed repetitive headers. But what do I know. :lol:

(waiting for sh|t against the wall smartazz reply...lol)

........edit add, again while I'm patiently waiting one of the truly sadest things among many was when Kenny "the snake" Stabler was inducted into The National Football League Hall of Fame but was accepted by his kids and grandkids because Kenny was actually unable to do it himself.

Also the Iron Mike Webster story, Junior Seau killing himself with a chest gunblast to save his brain for science, or the lesser ones like Merrill Hoge saying how he would just get lost on the way home. And this isn't normal aging it's CTE.

In one study of 110 brains submitted for study 109 showed CTE, see PBS not me.

I've loved football since I played pee-wee in the 1950s, thankfully through high school I only had a few bad concussions with no ill affects but I never played college or professional and I'm 68 now. 

Any questions?  ;)

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Husbands .........................................continual lifetime henpecking about the ear/temple region.🤕🐔

My wife laughed and told me to put on here that I am not henpecked. 🐔

I told her that denial is the first stage towards eventual acceptance.😍

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

My wife laughed and told me to put on here that I am not henpecked. 🐔

I told her that denial is the first stage towards eventual acceptance.😍

It's always nice to be nice concerning the wife......besides I like to eat too.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:02 PM, syd said:

we held them to 3 field goals the entire game we should had deferred 

If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time. 

Deferring in overtime is boneheaded nonsense. I don't care who you are. 

And in case you didn't realize, the Browns actually won the game. I don't know why you'd be advocating for an updated result.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time. 

In OT yes take the ball I'm trying to think of one time when someone deferred college or pro.  Maybe a snowstorn kick deep and wait? I dunno.

Archived